Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

50 - 100 Tracks a week! :(

Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Feb 12, 2005 20:09
Ok, since you really want to hear my opinion HandA

Sure it's up to you if you want to sell it or give it away.

But there is also a reality that you and everyone doing music, film or other art have to face up to.
It's how you manage to get people to pay for your music.

To demand that everyone who like your music should pay for it is unrealistic, no matter how fair and correct it would be.
Thats always been the case, and no artists ever in history have cashed in on everyone that have been enjoying their work.

There is musicians making money of their music, and if you have talent and focus on making money you can, but it's not easy.
It is also a fact that it has always been the case that only very few who decides that they want to be an artists can actually live out of it.

So for me it doesn't matter that I also think that I should earn a living out of music.
I do not like to work with making TV jingles or pop music, and maybe do not have talent to make it in the fierce competition in those fields either.
But if I don't adapt myself to the market which the laws have been written to support I cannot complain about not making enough money.
And thats the same whatever work you do.
To make money you have to adapt to the market and if you are playing around with the things that you like or think is fun instead you cannot complain if you don't get bread on the table.

So what to do about it. Sure if I got a few cents for everyone who listened to a track of mine I would maybe be able to live from the music. If I could find a way to make that happen I would.
If you do find a way tell me
Or maybe you make a post in a forum one day that will make everyone stop downloading.

But I don't think that will happen, and I sympatise with people with little money or who live in countries where they cannot buy the music as well.

So I give away music gladly, and do not accuse anyone copying or downloading the music of being theifs and do not waste energy on getting upset with them.
I make some more music or do some more other work to get some money in as well.
I'm not so bothered with if it's fair or that I the law would demand that people to pay me.

Reality is my boss wheater I like it or not, ideology or law is only theory.

Edit: thx KarmaCola for the kind words...that's the stuff that keeps me going           (``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
« .....www.ResonantEarth.com..... »
(¸.·`´(¸.·`´(¸.·`´``·.¸)``·.¸)``·.¸)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
Yuli
Retired

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Feb 12, 2005 20:32
Spindrift I actually 100% agree with all u have said.

As an artist myself I dont tend to give music away at all, but I understand that there was a change and I have no other way that I see but accept it.

BUT

Those ppl that d/l 100 tracks a week... well in my opinion it is so pathetic and so shallow and I dont have any other word to say what I think about these...

Since ok at least try to understand the art u r hearing, at least hear it ONE time...

Those ppl d/l the track to hear what happens during the break and the lift off, and that is it...

PATHETIC           A man with a "master plan" is often a woman
DETOX

Started Topics :  296
Posted : Feb 12, 2005 20:53
Downloading 100 tracks a week means you download almost 15 tracks a day.

Do you listen to music 2 hours a day at least so that you can listen each track at least one time?And even if you listen to a track just one time how can you possibly judge whether its good or not?

Some of you guys are just incredible....           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
sherlockalien
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Feb 12, 2005 21:28
just change what you listen to..

lately i´ve been finding some really cool house and electro music...

too bad many are released only vynil, so I cant buy all...
Kaz
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 01:18
Spindrift: I didn't say it was immoral to break laws (hell, people can shoot smack while sodomizing their neighbor's under-age male poodle as long as I don't have to see it), I'm saying it's immoral to take pride in it. Smoking pot is ok by me, but saying "I smoke pot and so does everyone else here" is bad, since this will cause not only a person but his surroundings to be scrutinized.

EYB: If you go against the guidelines, it makes me the bad guy for mentioning that? Am I supposed to feel bad about this? Anyways, downloading 50-100 tracks a week is not a problem (on the contrary, it's what... 1gb? People download more than that a night nowadays), but enjoying the good ones when you download that much is. This was the point, not anything else.

Downloading is a crime that only you do, with a single one-time effect - uploading is potentially much more damaging as you don't know how many people will download later. The damage may be none at all, but you may just be the guy that caused an unreleased track to not be released without even knowing it. It's not "sharing" just like mp3 trading is not "borrowing" the copyright.
          http://www.myspace.com/Hooloovoo222
sherlockalien
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Feb 13, 2005 01:46
yes, kaz, but you may also be the guy who made many people get to know the artist, and keep flooding the party organizers with email and posts asking for that artist to play, eventually getting him to play in gigs that he would otherwise not play....

so I guess we´ll never know, if it has more advantages or disadvantages for the artists =)
DETOX

Posted : Feb 13, 2005 02:07
For sure it has more disadvantages for the labels though...           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 03:23
Quote:

On 2005-02-13 01:18, kaz wrote:
Spindrift: I didn't say it was immoral to break laws (hell, people can shoot smack while sodomizing their neighbor's under-age male poodle as long as I don't have to see it), I'm saying it's immoral to take pride in it. Smoking pot is ok by me, but saying "I smoke pot and so does everyone else here" is bad, since this will cause not only a person but his surroundings to be scrutinized.

I say it's imoral to not stand up for what you think is morally correct, whatever the law says.
I did not say anything about outing other people that is to sheepish to stand up for what they think.
That's up to them, and if they rather like to pretend that they are innocent by the law then let it be.

@DETOX
Quote:
For sure it has more disadvantages for the labels though...

How do you know that....done any research yourself or read up on any research you like to share with us...or is it just you personal presumtions?
Jumping to the first obvious conclusion is not always right, and is sure not a way to run a business in a serious way.
          (``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
« .....www.ResonantEarth.com..... »
(¸.·`´(¸.·`´(¸.·`´``·.¸)``·.¸)``·.¸)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
*Karma Cola*
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  113
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 06:33
Quote:

On 2005-02-13 01:18, kaz wrote:
Spindrift: I didn't say it was immoral to break laws (hell, people can shoot smack while sodomizing their neighbor's under-age male poodle as long as I don't have to see it),

So maybe there's a legal age for a male poodle to get sodomised by the neighbouring crack addict???

that was funny

Bom!           ~*** You can tell By the way i use my walk, Im a woman's man, No time to Talk***~
hip
Shuma

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 11:46
ganjagil:

Try buying 50-100 records per week, and you won't be so frustraded knowing that there actually are fresh, original and good quality artists.

Or

you can download only one track per week, whose samples you've heard on psyshop, and then you could say:
"Wow! All tracks I've downloaded are great!"
DETOX

Posted : Feb 13, 2005 13:32
Spindrift when a label like mine sees that more than 5000 lets say people own one of its releases while the sales are limited to 2000 then i think that the label is loosing a lot from internet downloading dont you think?

And how do i know that 5000 people own my release from downloading while my sales are as low as 2000 copies?

Well my new release Digital Performers just came out before two weeks on Monday the 31st of January.Exactly on the next day Tuesday the 1st of February i received emails and PM's on this forum from people from India,Russia,Mexico,Israel,Brasil,Portugal,Yugoslavia and ofcourse Greece who congratulated me about the quality of this release.

When i asked many of them if they bought the cd or not and how is it possible to receive a cd in India or Brasil in just one day (cause i dont sell any copies directly to these countries and people have to buy the cd from internet shops) ALL of them admitted that they downloaded the cd from the internet and some of them trying to explain themself said to me 'we will buy the cd sooner or later in order to have it in original form because we liked it a lot'.

In Greece i know IN PERSONAL at least 30 people that own my cd in a copy from internet downloading.And all this in just two weeks from the official release date,the number will grow much bigger soon as you can understand.Imagine whats going on in Israel or Brasil or Portugal where thousands of people are interested in psy trance....

INTERNET DOWNLOADING KILLS OUR SCENE!

And if it might be good promotion for some artists and provides them with some bookings it certainly doesnt bring nothing back to the labels,especially to labels that invest money and effort on what they are doing.

Any questions concerning my small personal research dear Spindrift?           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
sherlockalien
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Feb 13, 2005 14:37
but detox.. what about the people who wouldnt have bought the cd at all, would never have known your label or releases, and bought because of knowing first through the internet?

did you count those in your research?
HandA
Inactive User

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 14:58
Quote:

On 2005-02-13 14:37, sherlockalien wrote:
but detox.. what about the people who wouldnt have bought the cd at all, would never have known your label or releases, and bought because of knowing first through the internet?

did you count those in your research?

The same excuses over and over again! Face it! It's doing damage to the scene. Mp3's are cool for promotion but only for promotion and legal online sales !!!

I have nothing against some guy in India or wherevere that cant afford music download the music. Even though I am pretty sure that the ones with fast internet connection actually are the ones with money in those places An example would be those that visit this forum. I doubt any of them are so poor that they cant afford to buy muisc!
Not all people are poor in those countries and I am pretty sure the poor ones dont have much access to the internet. As a matter of fact I am 100% sure that those who sell pirated music in those countries have plenty of money. The poor ones dont have the financial backup to print the CD's ect.

And sorry to say this but I dont see many poor people at the parties... They cant afford the entrence price! Face it. This scene is for people with money! And example! South Africa. How many poor black people do you see at the parties? yes I know they properly like R&B ect ect. BUT the parties there are (unfortinently) mostly White parties with white people that have some money. There's hardly any poor "Ghetto" people there! And it's the same all over the world!

Where I see red is when people with enough money that usually would have bought the CD's dont bother to buy any music because it's so "easy" to get it for free. Unfortinently these people are in very high numbers these days! The truely poor guy in India (or wherevere) would not have bought the CD anyway but they WOULD!!!!

And again so all get it. NOT ALL ARTISTS GET BOOKINGS!!! Why? Because to live from booking is just as hard as living from CD sales. The ones that say "ah you can just go and get some bookings" got no clue whatsoever what it takes to get those bookings!!!

Now go and do whatever you want to... It's your choice of course but think a little while you do it!
DETOX

Posted : Feb 13, 2005 15:08
Sherlock the percentage of people that first download a cd and then buy the original is very very very very very small.

People that buy cds usually spend some time to listen the cd samples on psyshop and saikosounds,they get an idea of whats going on inside the cd and can judge whether they like this cd or not,i mean thats what i do for the last 4 years and only in very very few circumstances i liked a cd in prelistening on psyshop and didnt like it after buying it.

The sad thing in our scene is that MORE PEOPLE DOWNLOAD A CD THAN THE PEOPLE THAT BUY IT.

And yes thats a fact.           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
_Vanessa_

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 15:16
this discussion will never finish...

I think artistist are failing to see how big the scene is, and how poor some peeps are.

I think the people who heard the music and liked it are the same people who will go to a party when the specific person is in the line up.

I don't download music at all I did some in the past, but I find that when I was dowloading music I was more up to go to parties and now I see the names, I don't know what music it is I don't bother, and I don't think the artists that I don't know because I don't dowload their music, are getting anything from it. Things are changed. It is good to see people happy for having some tunes when they can't buy it. For most people to afford trance parties and cds, plus all the other things is a fortune which they can't pay because they don't have enough money

think about this,,,
if u are going through crises because of downloading, think of the bigger can be the crises of some of the people who download your music and sweat their blood to go to a party ...

I give a easy example:::

If my sister buy an expensive colorful contact lenses indicated by a professional which will leave her with a pretty nice look, then she let me use the same contact lenses because I will have no money to buy it. Them people start to look at my eyes and ask me everything about the lenses... and I say the name and the company and the designer and where to buy and what colours they have, everything my sister tell me I tell them, my sister who bought the lenses and shared with me, will only bring another client to the company, witch is not me because I will still have no money, but my friend who got obsessed about how good looking only a contact lenses had made me will go after this company and try to know everything about them and will still talk about the company even more, making it well known between everyone she would know, she will go to workshop of the company and will be very receptive about any work they do.
My sister who have the money will continue buying different colour and design of the contact lenses that will come out, and I will continue using it as I am always skint, and continue talking about the amazing designer who will one day think I am ruining his company buy using his contact lenses without buying it, so I will stop using his stupid contact lenses and will not tell anything anymore about his work and company and even less his lenses. No one will see a contact lenses on my eyes making me look nicier, and no-one will ever think some mr. optician designer who owns a contact lenses company with nice confortable lenses in reasonable price ever existed. And no-one, absolutely no one will ever bother about booking them for a workshop, as no-one ever heard of his work... The majority of the people have no money to buy all the contact lenses he design, if it is difficult for him, imagine to the people who would love to be there supporting him. But as he got angry with me using his contact lenses that my sister bought, I just don't really think I need thoses lenses to look nice, Ha

Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - 50 - 100 Tracks a week! :(
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance