Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - SunControlSpecies "Scienza Nuova" - Iboga Records 2007
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

SunControlSpecies "Scienza Nuova" - Iboga Records 2007

aden
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  81
Posted : Jul 12, 2007 17:52
Artist : SunControlSpecies
Title : Scienza Nuova
Label : Iboga Records
Type : artist album
Style : Progressive Trance
Format : CD and MP3
Release date : june 2007
Cover : http://twohandsdistribution.com/images/covers/ibogacd48-500.jpg

Tracklist :
1. Only Human (a day in forever) (133 bpm)

2. Polarized (135 bpm)

3. Kick me shake me (135 bpm)

4. Scienza Nuova

5. Exubrious (132 bpm)

6. Here comes the titans (136 bpm)

7. Muddlehead.100 (133 bpm)

8. Spines (133)

9. The big mistake of '08 (132 bpm)

The Australian Andrew Davidson, aka Sun Control Species, and more recently Wombat, is no new comer to the scene. The many tracks he published at ZMA, Zenon, YSE, Submachine, Medium, Open rec. and, last but not least, his home label Iboga, have paved the way for his first solo album. After two years of work and research, it was time he released his first artist album. Let’s see if the expectations generated by his previous releases are met.

1. Only Human
The 1st track is a sweet intro with gentle string motif; then comes the deep fat reverberated bassline, which gives the piece a nice drive with tight percussions. A very elliptic theme converses with scarce glittering notes which complete the barely melodic treatment of the piece. A very nice opener.

2. Polarized
Polarized stages a playful and sketchy theme with other contrasting brief notes in the low register overlaying a solid rhythmic combo. A nice break introduces a different lead which seems to take the track in an other direction. But this is still deep and sophisticated trance all the way.

3. Kick me shake me
Once again the rhythmic treatment consists of an undulating bassline somewhat reminiscent of a didgeridoo backed with distant tribal percussions. The piece has a very nice evolution with diverse minute instrumental interventions and vocal snippets that make the 10 mn duration fly, and the reverberated kinda guitar riffs that punctuate the piece build a nice epic dimension.

4. Scienza nuova
The 4th track is a short (slightly more than 2 mn) downtempo breakbeat interlude with spooky voice sample that could be very well featured in a David Lynch soundtrack. Too bad it’s not further developed.

5. Exubrious
Exubrious features a compelling rhythmic combo with a definite tribal mood that the congas in the second half definitely emphasize. The thematic motif is reduced to dimmed sketchy patches that undergo interesting changes all along the track. This impressionist treatment of the thematic material gives yet again an epic atmosphere that is never overwhelming, always difficult to grasp. A great track that discloses its marvels after many close listenings.

6. Here come the titans
The sixth track features a more atmospheric trance, more in the Freqish vein, with an identifiable lead, pads and counter-motif. The track evolves nicely in a less mysterious and sketchy sound-scape, yet this is all nicely done.

7. Muddlehead.100
Once again the percussive treatment uses a full-fledged drum set with soft drum rolls over a nice bouncing and evolving bassline. The melodic material is quite naïve at first, but moves towards a more nostalgic and atmospheric mood. Again, the very detailed and deep orchestration makes the whole track another captivating piece.

8. Spines
Spines delivers fat pumping Trance with reverb-scented vocal fragments and echoing string pads building up a great progression towards the long and distorted acid line of the second half. It builds a tense hypnotic groove enhanced by the tight percussions. A great track that blends different moods: deep, tribal and eerie. Also my favourite of the album.

9. The big mistake of ‘08
The CD closes in a more mellow mood with a slightly slower track. It features a nice harmonic progression in the countermotif and SCS’s favourite reverb fx on the pads. Again the percussive treatment gives the piece a discreet tribal flavour that makes it dance floor friendly, and perfect for the late morning set. Great finish!

Bottom line
Definitely a very nice debut album with a signature sound that has firmly found its identity between the hovering presence of the epic and atmospheric Freq and the dark atmosphere of Sensient, both well known and established producers from OZ. The production level is praise-worthy for its introspection, nice chiarscuro and well balanced mix that does not resort to “in ya face” easy seduction but enhances the efforts put into the detailed orchestration and evolution of the tracks. This is mature music with a bright future ahead. It will thrive in this summer’s open-air festivals. Another essential album from Iboga.

ADEN

Related links
Iboga.dk
Progressivetunes.com
Beatport.com
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Jul 18, 2007 13:28
this album gets better and better with every time hear it:

My hebreview:

http://www.layla.co.il/ContentView/ContentView.aspx?cimid=106597&cid=116

-=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
amphiton

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jul 19, 2007 03:58
Iboga became commercial? I don't care. Iboga becoming less interesting? I think so.

SCS is the most interesting release since Antix - TCD, I guess.

I'm not sure you guys @ Iboga have got any pearls left after release of this album, but well... we'll see           [ cuBe ] :: cubeg.org •
kazuku
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Jul 20, 2007 14:34
I like this album, nothing stellar but nice music for the car or a lazy Sunday. Nice rythms.
Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Jul 21, 2007 03:32
Quote:

On 2007-07-19 03:58, amphiton wrote:
Iboga became commercial? I don't care. Iboga becoming less interesting? I think so.

I'm not sure you guys @ Iboga have got any pearls left after release of this album, but well... we'll see

Albums from Gaudium, Ace Ventura and then Emok later this year should answer that question.

http://www.facebook.com/GlenC.IbogaRecords
http://www.myspace.com/gleniboga
www.iboga-records.dk
Spikers & Midinoize - Lisbon Hooker (Glen C rmx) coming soon on Earhead Audio
Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Jul 22, 2007 20:50
Wow awesome music here.
Now I've listened to it more carefully I think it's a great album.
And finally again a real Progressive trance album, rather than all Electro Bleep music recently.
Pasha
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Jul 22, 2007 23:39
It is over any expectations! A BOMB.
Excellent, well produced stuff for the mornings, having an impact on me Freq's done some time ago.
Iboga keep 'em coming!
Pangea
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Jul 23, 2007 02:41
Holy Shit~! great fucking album,
this is real progressive music without any disco electro crap,
thank you so much for this one, its well worth the wait!
very psychedelic and very atmospheric, perfect for this summer

all the best

peace!           pureperceptionrecords.org

pangeaproductions.org

myspace.com/pureperceptionrecords
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Jul 23, 2007 22:49
A proggy psy album with only about 45 seconds of arpeggiated basslines!

AWESOME!

I feel like I'm 24 again! Where have the days gone where we could live out our equestrian fantasies and gallop freely on the lush meadows along the GoA 24 like the young careless Pony's that we were....

Nostalgia, Nostalgia....

I haven't followed the psy-scene much in a while, but it seems to me all proggy releases featured either arpeggiated basslines or dumb german oompa-oompa sound a la Fabio.

This, however, is a throwback to the good old deep atmospheric prog-psy with those galopping Mustang grooves that would put joy into the heart of every semi demented 10 year-old girl who thinks of nothing else but her little horsey.

When I was middle school, there was a girl in my class who was really into horses. Her name was Manja. She went so far that when we had the 50 meter dash in Sports class, she wouldn't run as fast as she could, she would galopp like a horse. Of course she had a pony-tail, she read the Wendy magazine, and when she wasn't riding horses, she was playing with "My little Pony".

So in the name of Manja, every ten year-old girl on the planet, and useless E-Tards like myself who sometimes like to pretend like we are little horseys too whenever we get to roam a lush meadow at 10 in the morning, I hereby officially award SCS the

GAY SATANIC MY LITTLE PONY AWARD

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9525/ponyxi3.jpg

for the advancement of the horse groove.

Leaving the groove aside, I really dig this album. It sounds awesome, there are dense atmospheres and cool sounds everywhere, it just goes down like water. I basically only listened to minimal techno lately, after listening this album I'm realizing what I have been missing. It really is a whole other listening experience. So nice job SCS, and thanks for refraining from arpeggiated basslines
          Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
Astral699
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  69
Posted : Jul 24, 2007 18:03
Good album, and well vibrasphere style copied in 1-2 tracks

Yuli
Retired

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Jul 24, 2007 22:21
Quote:

On 2007-07-23 22:49, aje wrote:
A proggy psy album with only about 45 seconds of arpeggiated basslines!

AWESOME!

I feel like I'm 24 again! Where have the days gone where we could live out our equestrian fantasies and gallop freely on the lush meadows along the GoA 24 like the young careless Pony's that we were....

Nostalgia, Nostalgia....

I haven't followed the psy-scene much in a while, but it seems to me all proggy releases featured either arpeggiated basslines or dumb german oompa-oompa sound a la Fabio.

This, however, is a throwback to the good old deep atmospheric prog-psy with those galopping Mustang grooves that would put joy into the heart of every semi demented 10 year-old girl who thinks of nothing else but her little horsey.

When I was middle school, there was a girl in my class who was really into horses. Her name was Manja. She went so far that when we had the 50 meter dash in Sports class, she wouldn't run as fast as she could, she would galopp like a horse. Of course she had a pony-tail, she read the Wendy magazine, and when she wasn't riding horses, she was playing with "My little Pony".

So in the name of Manja, every ten year-old girl on the planet, and useless E-Tards like myself who sometimes like to pretend like we are little horseys too whenever we get to roam a lush meadow at 10 in the morning, I hereby officially award SCS the

GAY SATANIC MY LITTLE PONY AWARD

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9525/ponyxi3.jpg

for the advancement of the horse groove.

Leaving the groove aside, I really dig this album. It sounds awesome, there are dense atmospheres and cool sounds everywhere, it just goes down like water. I basically only listened to minimal techno lately, after listening this album I'm realizing what I have been missing. It really is a whole other listening experience. So nice job SCS, and thanks for refraining from arpeggiated basslines

Well Aje, you deserve the funniest review award.. killer one mate indeed keep em coming

And this album is indeed a glimpse of light in the psy prog of late that wasn't psy and wasn't prog, hope that more like this will come..           A man with a "master plan" is often a woman
nem@oxygen
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Aug 4, 2007 14:51
Nice to hear after long time deep proggy album without electro-money influencies.

Keep on goin´)

www.oxygenrecords.com
www.myspace.com/djanenem
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Djane-Nem/71788999222
Dovla
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  43
Posted : Aug 4, 2007 16:50
Quote:

On 2007-07-21 03:32, Glen.C (Iboga Rec) wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-19 03:58, amphiton wrote:

I'm not sure you guys @ Iboga have got any pearls left after release of this album, but well... we'll see

Albums from Gaudium, Ace Ventura and then Emok later this year should answer that question.

and two EPs, one from Koan and one from Krusseldorf as well as an awesome full Krusseldorf album on Sofa Beats in the fall           DJ Dovla | Interchill Records, Flow Records
www.dovla.info
Justin Chaos
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  117
Posted : Aug 7, 2007 17:58
This album and some previous, recent, SCS releases broken my progressive heart into pieces.
Now Drooid is into the Iboga polite side of things...in my opinion this style doesn't do the man any favors.
I feel betrayed by one of my favourite artists ever, I always loved the old SCS style and purchased each and every single release where I saw his name, either on Zenon, ZMA, or whatever.
This new style of him sounds like any other Perfect Stranger, Liquid Soul or FREq release...he lost his trademark and soul.
But...who cares anyway???
I bet he's busy as fuck with gigs and releases coming soon, fair enough I guess...I'll always have Sensient...Thank God.

My fake plants died, because I did not pretend to water them.
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Aug 7, 2007 18:40
Quote:

On 2007-08-07 17:58, Justin Chaos wrote:

This new style of him sounds like any other Perfect Stranger, Liquid Soul or FREq release...he lost his trademark and soul.

?!? FREq sounds Like SCS?!?
scs album is brilliant.. Perfect stranger?!? Completely Different. Liquids Soul too.

All of the artist that you Mentioned sounds very different one from another.

-=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - SunControlSpecies "Scienza Nuova" - Iboga Records 2007
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance