First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

New MOOG synth on NAMM 2013

willsanquil
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Jan 24, 2013 21:52
ah I tried to post that above but I guess the embedding didn't work. Yeah amos knows his shit for sure....

and there seems to be a shitload of under the hood stuff. very nice.            If you want to make an apple pie from scratch...you must first invent the universe
www.soundcloud.com/tasp
www.soundcloud.com/kinematic-records
woodster77
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  119
Posted : Jan 24, 2013 22:50
Quote:

On 2013-01-24 14:14, PoM wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYfhIMAwjVM&feature=player_embedded

looks a lot like his unkle eh!
Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Jan 24, 2013 22:54
Hmm, I just now noticed it doesn't have a display.
Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Jan 24, 2013 22:56
Quote:

On 2013-01-24 14:13, PoM wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-19 19:24, Djones wrote:
Anyone know if it will have 'Note Sync' like on the Minitaur?

yep , if you mean retriger osc with gate

Apparently it does feuture the Note Sync function like here 10.42 :

PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Jan 25, 2013 00:12
yep not sure it s very usefull but nice
woodster77
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  119
Posted : Jan 25, 2013 00:54
i heard of pot stepping but did you hear that when he brought in the multi drive(4 mins 27 secs) i swear i actually heard step ladders being dragged on the floor

aw right its a ladder filter
willsanquil
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 25, 2013 01:42
Quote:

On 2013-01-25 00:12, PoM wrote:
yep not sure it s very usefull but nice

isn't this one of the main reasons why people resample basslines and stuff..to make sure they get a consistent tone?

like amos said, awesome feature for percussion/steady bass - seems pretty damn useful!            If you want to make an apple pie from scratch...you must first invent the universe
www.soundcloud.com/tasp
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 25, 2013 03:50
i m not sure it s Djones is talking about as i posted earlier in the topic the osc can reset to gate signal ?
i tough he was talking about the setting so the phasing between osc dont change much with the octave used ,this i m not sure it s really usefull but always nice to have. (this never annoyed me on the synth i use,maybe cause i rarely make synths "riff" that use 3 or 4 octave dunno )

btw the phase retriger is on most softsynth and also some hardware one.. but the thing is it s may be useless wihtout control on the phase for bassline , some saw depending the synth u need to retriger at 180° for example.. and look like it s the case on the moog by judging with nectarios sample of the minitaur but maybe it s not the same on the sub phatty who know..
willsanquil
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 25, 2013 04:08
well the minitaur has osc retrigger right and this is similar in what it gives you but slightly different as its consistent in attack/punch but its a different phase each time?

idk, at this point though an MS-20 for $400 less is pretty damn appealing.            If you want to make an apple pie from scratch...you must first invent the universe
www.soundcloud.com/tasp
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 25, 2013 04:12
yes it s same it will give you same attack / punch at each note . but if it dont retrigger the osc at the right place it can be kind of uselss for psy bass kbbb and i have afraid it s the case but hopefully not, that would make it a amazing psytrance bass machine with the drives stages
Osb
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Jan 25, 2013 06:18
I hope it is good for psy basses.. I was going to buy Trilian, but after seeing the price on this one today, I think I want the Moog.

. . Does anyone know if you can store presets on the computer?           .oOo.
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Jan 25, 2013 07:05
They basically took the Phatty sound and added to that the noise source and overdrive/distortion circuit and the Minitaur's Phase VCO reset function...which is good, but not great to be honest, maybe they have done a better job on the SubPhatty.

Great sounding synth, you hit two birds with one stone with the SubPhatty. Slim Phatties are going to be very cheap to buy second hand when this ships all over the place.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
willsanquil
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 25, 2013 10:20
Quote:

On 2013-01-25 06:18, Oski wrote:
I hope it is good for psy basses.. I was going to buy Trilian, but after seeing the price on this one today, I think I want the Moog.

. . Does anyone know if you can store presets on the computer?

Yes, the Moog presenter says that it ships with a VST/AU/Standalone editor that gives you preset support and full control over the panel if you for some reason want to spend a grand on a hardware analog and then not use the knobs            If you want to make an apple pie from scratch...you must first invent the universe
www.soundcloud.com/tasp
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 25, 2013 13:56
nectarios do you enjoy more the vco of the phatty or minitaur? on the sub it s based on the minitaur .

the jrr shop 15% and the dollars /euro difference make it really tempting.. if no custom taxes it make the sub almost half price than in europe.

problem is if 3 months later they come wiht the cv in/out version ...things like that are possible with moog.; and from europ to sent it back for a upgrade is probably not cheap at all.

you may have to sample it for psy bass (anyway you will ? a 1000 dollars psybass is kinda expensive if you don t sample it to use for leads ) but it s a bit more a pain if it have to be used with the free running osc... it will be a good bass machine that almost sure.
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Jan 25, 2013 16:30
Quote:

On 2013-01-25 13:56, PoM wrote:
nectarios do you enjoy more the vco of the phatty or minitaur? on the sub it s based on the minitaur .

the jrr shop 15% and the dollars /euro difference make it really tempting.. if no custom taxes it make the sub almost half price than in europe.

problem is if 3 months later they come wiht the cv in/out version ...things like that are possible with moog.; and from europ to sent it back for a upgrade is probably not cheap at all.

you may have to sample it for psy bass (anyway you will ? a 1000 dollars psybass is kinda expensive if you don t sample it to use for leads ) but it s a bit more a pain if it have to be used with the free running osc... it will be a good bass machine that almost sure.

The Sub Phatty sounds like the Slim Phatty to me, the Minitaur sounds quite different, that much I can tell you from the clips on youtube.
The Minitaur and the Phatty sound quite different. The Phatty has this smudgy resonance on the VCF and come become very gritty sounding due to the overload circuit that is built in the VCF.

The Minitaur is more of a precision sounding analog synth, very bold sound, the resonance behaves much more like a typical VCF where at high settings, it gets detached from the VCO sound. The bass on the Minitaur is definitely bigger, but then again its too big and if you are going for the modern trance bassline, you, or the mastering house, will high pass them massive subs...that is not to say that its useless to have such a phat synth, it has its sound for sure.

The VCO phase re-trigger smudges the transients too much, imo. You might like that sort of click for some kind of clicky bass though. The free running setting, has a much cleaner transient and punch. Having said that, I haven't still made a track with the minitaur's VCO running free and then sampling it.

They are different sounding synths. If I did not have either of them, I would go for the Sub Phatty and kill two birds with one stone. I ain't selling either of them though. They sound too different and I like that.

One thing about Moog, they see you as a wallet. They will do a special CV/Gate I/O version, they most probably will do a rack version...but they want to sell and in most cases, they just re-sell to you, the "moog" sound in a different package and make you think that you need another limited synth, that although sounds great, it sounds very similar to what they already put out a few years ago.

Not very shanti if you ask me.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
Trance Forum » » Forum  Equipment - New MOOG synth on NAMM 2013
← Prev Page
2 3 4 5 6 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance