Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Is 2007 the year the CD died?
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Is 2007 the year the CD died?

Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Mar 2, 2007 11:58
For a label there is not really margin to lower the price of a CD. Maybe the distributors and shops can lower their cut a bit, but not by much and probably not enough to make enough of a difference to increase the turnaround by much.

Pressing CD's, transport, stocking, getting left with overstock...etc. It all costs money and there is no one in the chain that has a massive margin that could make it plausible to sell CD's for a much lower price than currently is the case.

So the only way to make a drastic cut is to shorten the chain from consumers to label or artist. With downloads that easy and there is less costs involved in getting the product to the consumer.
But when it comes to CD's, without distributors or shops it's hard to sell as many copies. And to press CD's at a reasonable cost per copy you need to make a decent number of copies at once.           (``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
« .....www.ResonantEarth.com..... »
(¸.·`´(¸.·`´(¸.·`´``·.¸)``·.¸)``·.¸)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Mar 2, 2007 12:55
hm, I tried the search to find Colin's cake example. No luck. If I'm not mistaking, it is the shop that takes the biggest piece of the cake. So it seems the real ones that are making a good profit, is a shop like Psyshop. I would very much like to see that pie again

- pietones
deejayridoo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Mar 2, 2007 13:18
Hi mouka, hi spindrift, hi spytooned psytones
Just ordered 5 CDs just in order to support the artists and labels.
...but it takes me months to work my way through the mp3 releases and make my "to buy list".
All too often I get confronted with releases where there are 1, 2 or 3 fantastic tracks on and the rest just suckz
deejayridoo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 2, 2007 13:20
I think that the future lies in flexibility and creativity.
Why not re-organise labels as "genre-clubs" with monthly subscription or something.
...or maybe link the party scene with the label scene so that labels get their money out of events rather than music sales - in this case music distribution would be exclusively promotional to attract people to the events.
deejayridoo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 2, 2007 13:30
I for myself will definitely buy more and more mp3 downloads on websites like the ones mouka mentioned as I´m one of those who want to buy on a track by track basis and not a selection of somebody else.

Soon I´ll switch completely to USB-device controllers which allows me to use an external HD or any other USB device.
...with stringsearch to find a certain track, the flexibility to delete tracks and add new ones immediately, the possibility to create categories which make DJing much more intuitive again etc. etc. etc.

...but I´ll still buy the very best releases on CD just to support the lovely labels and artists and hold a nice original with beautiful colored holographic fractal covers

Kaz
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Mar 2, 2007 15:13
On a strictly economic level - record labels are still a necessity.

Trade was based around physical things in 20th century, but since the digitization of media and the growth of data availability and simple solutions for transit making the physical trade unecessary in certain aspects of our life, specifically - information. Labels are just a throwbacks from the time people traded mules for rice and the such - a way to "work the system" in it's old format. As the physical trade is still the most prominent one (cars, houses, etc), we can not do without them at the moment until the transition phase will make them a useless intermediary and they will have to redefine themselves for what may be referred as to the information age economics. Unfortunately, change is slow, so this'll take time.

Ideally, a track for a dollar from an artist's site would be both cheaper for the consumer and more profitable for the creator (piracy issues aside - the fact that it's sold on CDs and not digitally does not make it any less accessible, so both solutions are on equal footing here). I think that when a label would base itself on working on more than one front in this they can achieve much more (for 20% of the profits of online sales, while still working with the old CD format as well, and maybe with iTunes and the such).

The main advantages - higher sales for specific tracks (didn't buy a CD because there's only one track you like?), greater exposure for less famous artists (one track on a compilation that you like - and you have an option to browse this artist's creations and buy others you like), and a greater option for flexible deals - for instance the entire Simon Posford discography for $80 for instance (4xShpongle, 2xHallucinogen, Younger Brother, Celtic Cross, other tracks and singles) would be an amazing deal that's simply impossible when shipping an approximately 10-11CD set internationally, but transfering approximately 3GB (assuming lossless compression is used) costs much less than that and nowadays would take far less time than shipping (and raise the profits on older tracks).

This is an example showing that this is a necessary step from a simple economic view.           http://www.myspace.com/Hooloovoo222
Outolintu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Mar 3, 2007 14:15

"Is 2007 the year the CD died?"

i certainly hope not!
i'm giving birth to my cd-album soon
and i want it to kick and scream like any normal and healthy cd-album would           "no one ever sweats on a plug-in" -moby
e-motion
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Mar 3, 2007 14:34
altough sales are decreasing that doens't mean the artists are loosing with this. mp3 spreads your music arround the globe in a second, and the scene is becoming more popular, so what you don't get in selling you get in gigs. it's the reality we have to face now. i myself started listening to psy because of mp3.

Pyrex :: Traveling without moving
www.myspace.com/pyrexperience
Naginalf

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Mar 4, 2007 03:26
indeed, as we saw with the lp to the tape, from the tape to the cd, we'll see with the cd to the mp3. whats more of an interesting question is..whats next? mp3 to the what? brainwaves?           http://www.myspace.com/earthspassion
saintsanty

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Mar 6, 2007 08:21
i guess its all about how many people listen to ur music and internet is serving as the right medium for music promotion these days. for an artist it should never be about the money. when the cd's were first invented, their main purpose was to make music affordable and i dont see that happening with cd's which are over priced. artists should promote their music on the internet and tour the entire world. iam sure anybody who downloads loads of ur music would never mind to pay any amount to see you perform live. in this way artists are more in touch with their fans. just a thought....peace
Suntrip Records
Suntrip Records

Started Topics :  54
Posted : Mar 6, 2007 14:54
I also don't think cds are dying, we sell more and more (ok, maybe that's just because we became a little more known), but on the other hand I feel that alot of young people here in the scene buy ALOT of music

To give an example, there was a party here with 200 people 1 month ago, well, I sold 50 cds there of Suntrip at the entrance, and I could have sold more, but I simply didn't bring more, so 25% of the people bought a cd at that party, not really a small amount!

It is true online sales are growing, but will it ever replace a cd? Artwork, the feeling of the music? NO! For me a copied cd without artwork is useless, I would never listen to it at all... people want it in their hands, or at least most of the people, thats my experience... I did a poll like this some months ago on psynews, and like 80% was pro cd, so I don't think cd will die soon, héhé
Transcendentalist

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Mar 6, 2007 15:39
Charge less for the entries if you buy a CD at a party... Just a suggestion..... Would work for me.
Suntrip Records
Suntrip Records

Posted : Mar 6, 2007 15:47
Quote:

On 2007-03-06 15:39, Transcendentalist wrote:
Charge less for the entries if you buy a CD at a party... Just a suggestion..... Would work for me.

well, that's what we were doing, for 10€ or 3 cds for 25€ you can't complain...
Other option for party organisers: 15€ entrance, a cd included but then there has to be a link with a label of course
mouka
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Mar 6, 2007 23:51
Quote:
To give an example, there was a party here with 200 people 1 month ago, well, I sold 50 cds there of Suntrip at the entrance, and I could have sold more, but I simply didn't bring more, so 25% of the people bought a cd at that party, not really a small amount!

That is amazing I have to admit to sell so many cd's at a party, you are blessed with so many people that are willing to pay 10 euros @ the door for a cd. I always take my cd's and sell but it is never more than 5-10 cd's I think.
But I think this is one of the best ways to get cd's sold, simply the old fashioned way like it used to be in the scene. I really like that, way to go!           www.ajana-records.com
www.trishula-records.com
Suntrip Records
Suntrip Records

Posted : Mar 7, 2007 17:25
Quote:

On 2007-03-06 23:51, mouka wrote:
Quote:

That is amazing I have to admit to sell so many cd's at a party, you are blessed with so many people that are willing to pay 10 euros @ the door for a cd. I always take my cd's and sell but it is never more than 5-10 cd's I think.
But I think this is one of the best ways to get cd's sold, simply the old fashioned way like it used to be in the scene. I really like that, way to go!

I agree, that was my lucky shot, mostly it's around 5-10, don't worry
Anywayn, at the entrance of a party people have more feeling with the cd, and they are more lickely to buy it instead on some "vague site on the internet" (thats what hey say then ), also the type op party will be respresnted in the cd that is sold (so a dark party, dark trance, an old school party melodic goa trance etc,...)
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Is 2007 the year the CD died?
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance