Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - GAIAN MIND SUMMER FESTIVAL 2008 - June 19th to June 22nd, 2008, Four Quarters, Central PA, USA
← Prev Page
16 17 18 19 20 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

GAIAN MIND SUMMER FESTIVAL 2008 - June 19th to June 22nd, 2008, Four Quarters, Central PA, USA

NebulaRising

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 20:27
Had a good time at GM but I have to say I was kind of disappointed. I came mainly to see the Ultimae crew and they were great (also Killowatts) but the rest wasn't that great for me. I also got the bug that was going around. I don't think I'll be back.

Neb
alanna

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 20:30
BARRRRRF!

I love this fest, but every year the 4Q staff shock me a little more with their lameness. I heard that people have been getting sick at EVERY festival this year, they had the health dept out there already, had ID'd the problem and not only did nothing about it but did not tell anyone about the risk. Temptation to send a bag of poop, rising.

Despite that, I STILL had a good time and can't believe I skipped a year. Cult member status= strong! Thanks GM crew, I think you do an excellent job.
FattyAcid
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 20:44
Hey everyone, very worn out both from the ultimate experience.....and the virus

which is what this post is about

(copied from Wiki)

Norovirus
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Norovirus

Transmission electron micrograph of noroviruses. The bar = 50 nm
Virus classification
Group: Group IV ((+)ssRNA)
Family: Caliciviridae
Genus: Norovirus
Norovirus (was "Norwalk-like viruses")[1], an RNA virus of the Caliciviridae taxonomic family, causes approximately 90% of epidemic non-bacterial outbreaks of gastroenteritis around the world,[2][3] and is responsible for 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis in the US.[4] Norovirus affects people of all ages. The viruses are transmitted by faecally contaminated food or water and by person-to-person contact.[5]
After infection, immunity to norovirus is not complete nor long-lasting.[6] There is an inherited predisposition to infection and people whose blood type can be detected in their saliva are more often infected.[2]
Outbreaks of norovirus disease often occur in closed or semi-closed communities, such as long-term care facilities, hospitals, prisons, dormitories, and cruise ships where once the virus has been introduced, the infection spreads very rapidly by either person-to-person transmission or through contaminated food.[7] Many norovirus outbreaks have been traced to food that was handled by one infected person.[8]
Norovirus is rapidly killed by chlorine-based disinfectants, but because the virus particle does not have a lipid envelope, it is less susceptible to alcohols and detergents.[9]
There are different genogroups of norovirus and the majority of noroviruses that infect humans are classified into genogroup G1 and G2.

Signs and symptoms

The disease is usually self-limiting, and characterised by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. General lethargy, weakness, muscle aches, headache, and low-grade fever may occur. Symptoms may persist for several days and may become life-threatening in the young, the elderly, and the immune-compromised if dehydration is ignored or not treated

Noroviruses are transmitted directly via person to person or indirectly via contaminated water and foods. A CDC study of eleven outbreaks in New York State lists the suspected mode of transmission as person-to-person in seven outbreaks, foodborne in two, waterborne in one, and one unknown. The source of waterborne outbreaks may include water from municipal supplies, wells, recreational lakes, swimming pools and ice machines.

Stephanie and I will give our full review on the amazing magical experience we had this year. Thank you everyone. Especially Gaian Mind and those associated.
Love*
Bomshankar (spliffendifferous) !!
FattyAcid
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 20:45
oops* repost = )
Psycosmo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 20:48
Quote:

On 2008-06-24 18:48, fivElements wrote:
Thank you GM!!! was such an amazing festival, I havent heard such beautiful and "moving" music in such a long time!! thank you!! Solar Fields AM set at the main stage was beautiful...as well as anyone who played on Saturday night into the morning!! yumminess...

as far as the virus is concerned:
I did not drink the water there
I only ate food on Saturday Brunch.
I did not swim.
I dont smoke
I didnt make out with any infected beings :-P

the common denominator with most is we ALL had Tea and Coffee, I can just say that at one stage in the night the three sinks were pretty disgusting, black water...yuuuk, prime breeding ground for bacterial growth, espeically if cups were not cleaned properly.

Purell dispensers would be an idea to have inside the portopotties... most infections like this spread by not washing your hands...something simple as putting a dispenser might have helped a lot of people from not gettng sick.

I thought I was fine too until about 2:30 yesterday afternoon... and didnt feel well until about 3am or so...

Overall music was fantastic!! lightning was amazing! the rain at the end of the festival was a refreshing ending to a beautiful weekend!
Thanks to Gaian Mind, hopefully more sanitary hand washing & facilities will be present for the next festival, although, the potties were cleaned regularly and there was always paper inside... just think the washing hands part would have saved a few hundred from getting sick!!

thank you thank you thank you....

I only used their coffee cups once on friday morning and used my own coffee mug thereafter. I didnt bother to suggest better hygiene to the 4Q staff because last year they were unreceptive to the idea that the mug situation was unsanitary. It probably wouldnt add much to the cost of an event to give us complimentary mugs (I imagine they can be bought cheaply in bulk).

Certainly, more hand sanitizer around the port-a-potty's would have been great. The bathrooms and some of the portapots had them, but not all. When the hand sanitizer is absent, the act of washing ones hands requires touching the drinking faucets, thus potentially spreading the bug. Antibacterial gel near the wells would also have been good so that people could disinfect the knobs before use.
Also, signs in the bathrooms and portapotties warning people of a bug going around and emphasizing the importance of handwashing might have been good too.

It sucks to be doing all this complaining after such an otherwise wonderful event, but the unhelpful attitude of the 4Q staff was really wrong, and they should have worked with us to prevent the spread of the virus. Seeing their unhelpful attitude with incidents like FaceHead reported, a pattern of behavior from 4quarters staff seems apparent and that pattern of behavior isn't cool.

Aside from the shortcomings of 4Q staff, everything was wonderful, the music, the deco, the vibes... Big thanks to Sharon and Allen for putting on such a wonderful, tastefully organized event.
karmakanik
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 21:13
it's worth noting that most anti-bacterial soaps/gels/hand sanitizers do not kill viruses.
Psycosmo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Jun 24, 2008 21:46
Still alcohol based hand sanitizers are recommended in combination with rigorous handwashing for norovirus.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/Norovirus.htm

Ideally, there would be hand sanitizer to use just after using the pot, and then people would additionally wash with soap and water. In cases of outbreaks, an occasional spray of a chlorine based product onto the handles and spigots of the wells by the staff would be a nice added precaution.

Of course there is only so much that can be done, but once it becomes apparent that there is something on the loose, the 4Q staff should be proactive, rather than acting defensive.
Ascension
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  170
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 22:04
After reading posts on here I feel lucky that my sickness didn't kick in until sunday night after I got home. This was the best festival I have been to. All of the headlining acts were just AMAZING!

I would love to get a tracklist or atleast a few tracks if possible of DEET's set- best opening prog set I've heard- makes me wish there was more of it in the midwest.           http://soundcloud.com/ascensionsound
www.chilluminati.org - Midwest based psytrance group
Infinite_Sun

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 22:08
I've heard that the department of health has idenfified it as a rota - which is at least good cause you don't need anti-biotics like you would with a cyst or Amoeba which also fit symptoms.

Regardless, our party had a very bad experience with the staff when one of our members fell ill before we found out about the great g-mind pandemic of 2008. One of our members was so sick we considered driving them to the hospital when the staff was unable to provide any medical support. The person basically looked insulted that we asked for help.

After finding out that this happened at the last two events at 4QF; its pretty tough not to be utterly disgusted with this.

G-mind works way too hard to have to put up with this Bull$h%t. It'll be a tough sale to return to those grounds ever again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotavirus

fivElements

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 22:40
there are so many viruses out there with similar symptoms, norovirus (Norwalk virus) Rotovirus...and even different grades/levels of strength. BLEACH apparently kills it, it is not known that anti-bacterial gels kill it, but it may help in the spread of it.. hard to diagnose as we are not DR's (maybe some are?) but drink fluids, eat bland foods and get plenty of rest. Apparently we can all be contagious for up to 3 days AFTER symptoms disappear. So wipe down anything you touch and hope it doesnt spread elsewhere!!!
Lauge
Lauge

Started Topics :  69
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 22:56
super festival
great job everyone
we really enjoyed it!!!

and yes we got sick also... my friend had to stay over in washington as he was too sick to go back to europe           www.myspace.com/orbitallauge
www.myspace.com/babalauge
www.myspace.com/babagnohm
Bonnita
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 23:01
i know i have alot more to say, but for now just want to thank the Gaian Mind crew for everything, I think the festival gets better and better each time I go, we had over 20 Canadians there this year who havent been before,and all thought that it was one of the best weekends EVER!!! despite the sickness, and all that it was so worth it to us!

next year we'll bring double the friends, and I already can;t wait to be there again...the music and deco were AMAZING! the vibe was so beautiful, myself or my girl friends didnt have any problems with any creepy guys, we actually thought we wished that more people acted the way they do at the festival always, and that it was nice to not have creepy dudes scaring us away:)
All in all it was yet again one of my favorite weekends. you guys are the most well organised crew we have worked with.
DJ_X-Pulse

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 23:04
Thank Gaian Mind people.
IT was GREAT FESTIVAL !!!! THANKS EVERYBODY for you smiles ....

I LOVE this festival. Second year same feelings

P.S. nadzinka - thank you for photos... I don't have anyone photos memory from this year )
electrictiedye
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jun 24, 2008 23:21
I'm sorry to all the orgs who have to read about the virus, I know how much love you put into the festival and it was a great weekend and beautiful location and there are some things beyond our control and I know the last think you feel like reading is about everyone's bowel movements.

A note on the location. I don't really believe in crystals or anything like that, but I'm telling you there was something about the stones! It was like they had this magnetic engergy that magnified the power of the DJs. Unreal you guys, unreal. Loved the river too. I'm surprised fewer people didn't take advantage of the river.
Psycosmo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Jun 25, 2008 01:36
I dont think anyones blaming the Gaian Mind people. It's not their job to oversee washing accommodations, that would be 4Q.

Also, infection is not entirely out of our control, proper washing and sanitation can reduce its spread. 4Q could have done more in this regard by having more strategically located hand cleaning accommodations. Seeing that so many people got sick, it is appropriate to discuss the matter and not ignore it for the sake of sounding "positive".

I dont see any reason to be sorry about discussing these things, they are part of reality. By being better about handwashing and having our own mugs, perhaps in the future we can create a better reality of hand hygiene and gastrointestinal health.

If it weren't for this discussion people (including me) might still think it was the water or the food or something, now we can be pretty sure it was something that can be spread person to person, which can inform our behavior at future festivals.

BOOM
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - GAIAN MIND SUMMER FESTIVAL 2008 - June 19th to June 22nd, 2008, Four Quarters, Central PA, USA
← Prev Page
16 17 18 19 20 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance