Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum  Forum  Trance - dj skills and software ?
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

dj skills and software ?

duodenumz
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  15
Posts :  116
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 13:08
Quote:

On 2007-06-18 21:01, Jester Records wrote:
i guess where i get jammed is because it seems to "make the job easier" by using a computer. That is the way i see it and probably why i have such a wierd impression on mixing with computers.




I'm sorry, but if you think that beatmatching being taken out of the equation = a lack of excitement, you really need to try out Live asap.

I have been DJing for 8+ years, and I was really getting bored with the limitations of physical media and the typical choose-->beatmatch-->EQ & fade doldrums.

Beatmatching isn't hard if you practice, and it's really time/attention consuming if you think about it. Most of the set is spent choosing tracks, cueing them, and then matching them. Surely there are more creative avenues to explore.

Live is a DJing monster. I have spent the last 1.5 months exploring it, and there has never been a time when Live was the bottleneck. Everything I have thought of for tricks, effects, routing, etc. can be done. The only place it's lacking in is latency, and that should improve with time. So no scratching with the mouse for now ;-]

Seriously, Live is the first tool in ages that lets me consistently do mixes for myself and friends that are so smooth that I often don't notice the transitions. I can put together 2+ hour mixes as I please, and I can rest assured that they will hold up to my critical ears forever.

The beautiful thing is how Live holds your hand during the process of moving from DJ to live act/DJ to live act. You start by mixing multiple loops, maybe some of your own synth lines, drums, etc. and soon you realize that you're nearly producing your own tunes. And they can all be performed with endless improvisation, mixed with existing tracks by other artists, etc.. There are no limits, and that is much more difficult to learn than the process of beatmatching two tracks (ZZZzzzz).

I used Traktor previously, and I made the decision from the start to manually beatmatch and use an external mixer. I ran that rig for some time, and I got to the point where I could mix faster and nearly as solidly as vinyl decks. So then I got bored again, and started investigating Live.

It didn't take me long to realize that Live can also be run completely "on the fly", meaning you choose, warp marker, cue, and mix tracks on the spot. It just means you have to get quick with the process.

My current workflow for demo mixes is: Assemble a pool of tracks that I like, mark them all for warping, set cue points, then arrange them into a full mix. Then I record and *manually* apply EQing, effects and fader moves in one pass. That way you get bionically tight mixes, but also some looseness from doing things live.

I could ramble for ages.... Too many thoughts.
Jester Records
Jester Records

Started Topics :  24
Posts :  254
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 15:57
I'm still not convinced.. sorry.. eh eh eh eh !           www.jesterrecords.ca
fohat


Started Topics :  2
Posts :  23
Posted : Jun 20, 2007 14:37
the problem with laptop dj's is that they have to deal always with prejudices. they are based on:

- ignorance, ignorance and ignorance
- and based on this no knowledge what it is all about (technically, possibilities and restrictions)

in additions to this there are tons of guys out there f*ucking up their sets in using cracked software (with a mouse), stolen mp3's with really bad sound and no skills at all what is it all about.

these guys are ruining reputation of *all* laptop dj's, that's my very personal experience.

but coming back to the attitude of ignorance: would anybody call the cdjs 100 as a dj tool total crap cause of some non skilled dj's f*cking up their sets on them? I would guess no!

using a laptop for mixing (doesn't matter if it's ableton or traktor or any other kind of pro software out there) brings in *unlimited* possibilities.

main issue with dj'ing on a laptop is controlling the stuff (midi controller) and getting out the maximum quality of sound out of it (wav files only and a pro audio card).

beeing able to control the software with a good midi controller is 1000tiomes more hands on the sound as just pushing 3 buttons on a cdj.

justmy2cents

sukia
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posts :  25
Posted : Jun 20, 2007 16:25
Quote:

On 2007-06-20 14:37, fohat wrote:
the problem with laptop dj's is that they have to deal always with prejudices. they are based on:

- ignorance, ignorance and ignorance
- and based on this no knowledge what it is all about (technically, possibilities and restrictions)

in additions to this there are tons of guys out there f*ucking up their sets in using cracked software (with a mouse), stolen mp3's with really bad sound and no skills at all what is it all about.

these guys are ruining reputation of *all* laptop dj's, that's my very personal experience.

but coming back to the attitude of ignorance: would anybody call the cdjs 100 as a dj tool total crap cause of some non skilled dj's f*cking up their sets on them? I would guess no!

using a laptop for mixing (doesn't matter if it's ableton or traktor or any other kind of pro software out there) brings in *unlimited* possibilities.

main issue with dj'ing on a laptop is controlling the stuff (midi controller) and getting out the maximum quality of sound out of it (wav files only and a pro audio card).

beeing able to control the software with a good midi controller is 1000tiomes more hands on the sound as just pushing 3 buttons on a cdj.

justmy2cents





soory for are better the 3 botton of a cdj 100 than using traktor ..traktor isjust so bored ....
i now people than have 6 8 years mixing and now thanks to software can beatmach put them a cdj or tunrtable theys cant....im starting using ableton but no traktor or virtual dj
and i start using turtables !! the bet fealing
fohat


Started Topics :  2
Posts :  23
Posted : Jun 20, 2007 17:07
Quote:

soory for are better the 3 botton of a cdj 100 than using traktor ..traktor isjust so bored ....
i now people than have 6 8 years mixing and now thanks to software can beatmach put them a cdj or tunrtable theys cant....im starting using ableton but no traktor or virtual dj
and i start using turtables !! the bet fealing



nothing to add ;-)
Jester Records
Jester Records

Started Topics :  24
Posts :  254
Posted : Jun 21, 2007 22:30
Yeah, that's another thing.. if people are using software like LIVE to mix there music (like a DJ), why are they wasting there time learning how to beatmatch tracks when they could be working on acctual music ?? I mean, myself as a Dj can't write music if my life depended on it, therefor i can only express my musical passion through mixing other people's music.           www.jesterrecords.ca
psychedelikk


Started Topics :  3
Posts :  213
Posted : Jun 22, 2007 11:39
Quote:



Wait 5 years this will be standard ;)











totally agreee          ---------------------------------------------
I have as much authority as the Pope.I just don't have as many people who believe it.
penith

Started Topics :  0
Posts :  3
Posted : Jun 22, 2007 15:08
www.myspace.com/finaleshadow

these guys are soo cool
Dennis the menace
DevilsDennis Sparris McHilton

Started Topics :  128
Posts :  2899
Posted : Jun 22, 2007 17:42
did anyone of you software djs try the x-zone 3d mixer?
Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posts :  1560
Posted : Jun 23, 2007 16:40
Quote:

On 2007-06-22 17:42, Dennis the menace wrote:
did anyone of you software djs try the x-zone 3d mixer?



I haven't tried it, and the concept is kind of confusing to me.
Usually where I play there is a mixer already setup andf I'm not so keen on interupting the sound to swap it out for my own.
So I don't see much point in having a combined mixer and controller.
Otherwise it does seem like quite a flexible controller compared to many of the specialized DJ controllers which usually is far to limiting in the number of available controls.           (``.(``.(``..`).`).`)
.....www.ResonantEarth.com.....
(.`(.`(.```.)``.)``.)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
conqueru


Started Topics :  6
Posts :  32
Posted : Jun 23, 2007 20:05
Hello to all......
Being on the newbie side of things, one thing ive definitely noticed is that Mastering a set of CDJ`s does take time(lots) and PC software with control surfaces just cant replace the feel of CDJ`s. Traktor is great for set construction if you have your collection on mp3 but u tend to feel like a bit of a cheat. (hehe)

I stopped mixing on Traktor as I kept using the screen as a visual cue. (big no no)U cant do this with CDJ`s.
Oh well only Twelve days and counting, and i`ll have my decks and mixer.

Take care all,
Vic Issai
http://www.myspace.com/vicispsy
Jester Records
Jester Records

Started Topics :  24
Posts :  254
Posted : Jun 24, 2007 18:11
Quote:

On 2007-06-23 20:05, conqueru wrote:
Hello to all......
Being on the newbie side of things, one thing ive definitely noticed is that Mastering a set of CDJ`s does take time(lots) and PC software with control surfaces just cant replace the feel of CDJ`s. Traktor is great for set construction if you have your collection on mp3 but u tend to feel like a bit of a cheat. (hehe)

I stopped mixing on Traktor as I kept using the screen as a visual cue. (big no no)U cant do this with CDJ`s.
Oh well only Twelve days and counting, and i`ll have my decks and mixer.

Take care all,
Vic Issai
http://www.myspace.com/vicispsy



good call bro !!           www.jesterrecords.ca
sukia
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posts :  25
Posted : Jun 26, 2007 19:47
yes is big diference use traktor or use ableton live .............but for me traktor is just a toy
spinalpuppet


Started Topics :  3
Posts :  87
Posted : Jun 27, 2007 16:40
tools are just tools. maybe software gives anyone world class beat matching skills but all that means is you have other creative possibilities opened up as a dj.
2 tracks always going at once, one with a high pass filter and vst BPM synced effects on the track...can't do that with decks.
Jester Records
Jester Records

Started Topics :  24
Posts :  254
Posted : Jun 27, 2007 19:45
Quote:

On 2007-06-27 16:40, spinalpuppet wrote:
tools are just tools. maybe software gives anyone world class beat matching skills but all that means is you have other creative possibilities opened up as a dj.
2 tracks always going at once, one with a high pass filter and vst BPM synced effects on the track...can't do that with decks.



you can get 100% on your Math test by hiding the book under your desk and cheating.. doesn't mean that by the end of the day you know what your doing....           www.jesterrecords.ca
Trance Forum  Forum  Trance - dj skills and software ?
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon


Copyright © 1997-2022 IsraTrance