Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Broken Toy- 'Broken Toy' (Alchemy Records, 2005)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Broken Toy- 'Broken Toy' (Alchemy Records, 2005)

Lauryn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  51
Posted : Apr 5, 2005 07:02
Broken Toy- 'Broken Toy'
(Alchemy Records, 2005)

1. In a dark, dark house
2. Fragile
3. Girls and boys
4. Slaphead
5. Fucking machines
6. Psycho bitches
7. Toys just wanna have fun
8. Speedfreakz
9. The Raver (Broken Toy rmx)

Ever since Broken Toy aka South African James Copeland busted out onto the psytrance scene with killer releases on Timecode, Panorama, PsyStation, and Afrogalactic, with probably some of my favorite tracks of 2003, "Rockstar" and "Breakdown Baby" among others, I have been eagerly awaiting his debut album release on Alchemy Records. Broken Toy originally emerged as a side project of now ex-Damage member James who then went on to make it his full time gig. You can find a few of his more recent collaborations with Deon Damage on the Damage full length out on the Chemical Crew label...but for now, I'll break this Broken Toy down....

1.'In a Dark, Dark House' And the mystery begins unfolding with a dancable groove and synth stabs that can only mean Broken Toy is at it again. "are you ready, action, romance, desire?" An energetic opening track, with a bassline that just makes you want to dance. The breakdowns are well placed with atmospheric sounds, perfect for reviving a morning dancefloor. The track moves into a more minimal groove and a quirky, yet mysterious melody takes over, slamming into another breakdown-buildup and then the broken toy madness we have all grown to love. This track has it all- danceable beat, groovin bassline, scratching synths, and a quirky melody to tie it all together.

2.'Fragile' A muted melody and distorted vocal start this track off. A zooming buildup and a disco funk bassline get this track off to a killer start. Melodic synths combine with ambient pads in the background, a groove that reminds me of a more melodic version of 2003's "Rockstar". The breakdown- and its all melody here, slamming back into the funk bassline this track is still building up, a distorted buildup and the main synth melody is introduced- nothing fragile about this. The breakdown and the distorted vocal are back in, a very original touch to this track. This track is full power and hi energy throughout. Fragile melody meets Killer synth. Slamming track? Absofuckinglutely.

3.'Girls and Boys' A filtered vocal and beat with synth stabs introduce this track, with yet another super strong bassline, acid synths combine with the goofy groovy synth stabs that belong to no one but Broken Toy. Nice buildups and distorted vocals that blend in nicely with the track, creating a nice percussive effect. A dreamy breakdown and we're falling down, until treated with a KILLER buildup. Nice acid synth line combined with darker stabs, many change ups in this track keep us wondering where its going to be headed next. A lighter melody and groove finish off this track, again very nice vocal effects, I'm not usually a fan of vocal parts used in psytrance tracks, but this is very well done, and nicely mixed in with the rest of the track.

4.'Slaphead' A muted melody reminiscent of older Damage tracks off Alien Safari, and a lighter groove here with some delayed synths creating a morning atmosphere. The darker more raw synth sound is introduced as a nice contrast and this track is off. A killer buildup, and a funky groove sets the pace as the track continues to build. A KILLER organic slap bassline takes over in this track- giving new meaning to funky psytrance. A breakdown and some old skool "rave" sounds (haha can i say that?) and the anticipation of the buildup....its still going, ready for take off....still going.....and going.....!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, a very nice mixture of sounds here....melodic, funky, dark, atmospheric. Its all here.

5,'Fucking Machines' Mechanical static opens this track up and a very strong bassline kicks in, perhaps a slightly harder groove than the past few tracks. A raw synth melody takes over in this track, definately more of a night time sound. Nice usage and manipulation of samples in this track, reminding me a bit of his remix of Damage-'Nasty'. This track is full on and bad ass, no nonsense. A breakdown, and an almost electro-ish bassline is introduced, along with some very groovin bouncy synth sounds (very killer by the way)...another breakdown, and a distorted, raw sounding synth is introduced again, a buildup and the kick ass funky raw Broken Toy sound takes off once again, for sure one of the strongest tracks on the album so far.

6.'Psycho Bitches' A creeping bassline starts this tracks off, and we're bouncing along...a funky synth and some nice percussion add to the groove, a buildup and this track takes off...some nice melodic effects are introduced, and this track continues creeping along, a slamming buildup and we are again returned to the groove, this time with the addition of a killer melody sitting somewhat in the background of the track, eerie melodic strings enter the mix and it then takes on more of a straightforward no nonsense feel. The strings combine with a synth sound that can only be described as badass, a kickin groove for all those psycho bitches....yet another buildup full of anticipation...and this track is back in full power once again. more eerie psychobitch strings, and this track can't help but make you dance.

7.'Toys Just Wanna Have Fun' I wasn't sure what to expect from this track, A groovin disco funk bassline opens this track up....some superstar synth stabs (yes, you know the kind...hehe) and the approach of the first build introduce a breakdown with an almost electric guitarish sounding melody. Dark full power energy in this track, along with a quirky melody, a melodic breakdown, and a very fat synth melody combines with the raw scratchy melody, everything drops out and we are left with a bassline that carries the track through to an insane breakbeat breakdown, a full power melody, and killer organic bassline, yet not one of the stronger tracks on the album.

8.'Speedfreakz' A darker melody to start this track off, a larger than life bassline and some interesting sounds add to the mix and a continuous buildup, until everything breaks down and we are left with a mysterious melody and the anticipation of something killer. The bassline is back in with a powerful synth line and yet more killer buildups-stops-buildups....A bassline and melody that remind me a bit of 'Absolutely' (off of Afrogalactic's Wild Spirits compilation). A strong morning track for those of us who like darker full on. A massive neverending buildup zooms this track ahead full power, another transition and another killer melody is introduced, giving some resolution to this track. Another nice contrast between full power synth lines and ambient morning melodies.

9.The Raver (Broken Toy rmx)- The last track on this album is a remix of Tortured Brain (aka Dino Psaras)'s 2001 release on the Aurinko Records compilation Catcher. Broken Toy's version of the track adds in a more groovy bassline and synth stabs that give the track much more movement. The "rave" sounds sit more to the back of the track, and while a found the original version of this track to be rather static, the remix adds in some nice buildups-stops, as well as some nice percussion. A breakdown and a nice eerie atmosphere leads into the original bassline which combines with Broken Toy's added groove leading us to an eerie fadeout as we exit this dark house.

Favorites: 1, 2(!!!), 4, 5(!!!), 6

Overall: Broken Toy is the Beat Master of the ever present buildup-breakdown-buildup funky, quirky, full on, melodic groove. A very strong debut release with a distinctive, yet ever powerful sound proving to the psytrance world once again why South African trance is just oh so fucking good. Killer release from Alchemy Records. Go buy it. Enough said.           ~gOa ist nicht nur musik sondern auch eine lebenseinstellung~
http://www.peakrec.com/
http://www.myspace.com/djlauryn
TheCreamFilling

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Apr 5, 2005 09:35
Yeah, Broken Toy has produced a sound not similar to most the the current psy artists (imo that's a good thing). All the tracks are distinguishible and are completely themselves.

Favorite tracks: 4 and 6
Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : Apr 5, 2005 16:34
pablo fransico sample in track 1.. heheheh very funny

great release from broken toy! funky hard and killer

bOm..           For Contact & Bookings:
Wizack_Booking@hotmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/wizack_Twizack
New Album Out: Wizack Twizack - IV (Ovnimoon Records 2011) http://www.beatport.com/#release/wizack-twizack-iv/387698
SuPeR MiA
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Apr 6, 2005 19:11
BoOm! KILLA cd
just now actually i get it.

i think that the killa boy - broken toy in this cd give great sound. killa bass line in every track.
1-track 1: great way 2 open the cd. great sample. funny 1. great malody . love this 1.

and all the cd. soprise !
a big difrent from what i know that last year.
good work kapara.
great cd.
indid powerFool. Funky 4 sure. Killa stayle MAte.
something alse the front of the cd is killa . the boy there is nice 2.
Spectron

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 11, 2005 15:56
killer work love your style...
i hope to see you soon in some party..

InNer Art...
moses
Moses / Loopiter / Bufo

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Apr 11, 2005 17:54
love this album! nice sound and energi!

keep it up!!
Inner-G
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 11, 2005 23:06
Really good job from James !
My favourites are Fragile and Speedfreakz, how beautiful, power and coloured they are
Very nice work on voices, power bass and enchanting leads...

Hope to hear from you soon again, Jimmy.           Inner-G
Hadra DJ
www.hadra.net
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Apr 12, 2005 02:49
Some really nice tracks on here. I like how his style is evolving, though in places I was wishing for a less pounding kick, and a bit more subtlety and funkiness. But I guess that'd be girlie music by South African standards. hee hee.

..it's just another party..
DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 12, 2005 13:58
Killer album JimmyC.

The shits WHACK yo!

I dig Fucking Machines.....but then again....u knew i would!

Shanegobi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  46
Posted : Apr 12, 2005 14:24
thanks for all the positive feedback, if any of you are around the UK on the 16th April, come and check out Broken toy, Rinkadink and Dark Soho, rip the roof of the Coronet

my favourite track on this album has to be Psyco Bitches , but ive been playing most of the album in my night time sets
fullom
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Apr 13, 2005 05:38
After buying 15 new releases in the past 4 weeks this one is deft standing out as the main contender as best cd-i fucking love the lift he puts into some of those tracks-good work and good fullon!!
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Apr 13, 2005 08:37
I enjoyed a lot, funky bouncy stuff. I don't know if its only to me, but sound production makes me hum?? Mastering could be better no??....IMO, sounds too round for Broken Toy, don't you think?? Great work anyway.
          Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
psychocouch
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Apr 13, 2005 08:38
Phat tunes all the way mate!
TheCreamFilling

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Apr 13, 2005 10:15
Shanegobi, are you Broken Toy?
Shanegobi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  46
Posted : Apr 13, 2005 13:57
Quote:

On 2005-04-13 10:15, TheCreamFilling wrote:
Shanegobi, are you Broken Toy?

no, im not Broken Toy, but we (Alchemy) released the album, in case you missed that, Broken Toy is James.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Broken Toy- 'Broken Toy' (Alchemy Records, 2005)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance