Author

BOOM 2006

DES

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 14:57
MY BIG REVIEW:

BOOM 06 Festival 2006 | 3-9.Aug | Portugal
Our Journey - Des & Jaryd

Finally back to reality! Never before have I been taken so far from it.
The beautiful mixture of people, place, and music provided a setting for one truly amazing experience.

The journey started with the flight to Madrid, where we fortunately (you'll see why later) found out our baggage had been left at Gatwick. Great start? Off to Madrid City centre, driving on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the car, with 2 new BOOM travelers who we met at the Airports. After a few hand signals and some wrong turns and bare minimum Spanish a Hostel was found nearby....a place to sleep for the night.

Up the next morning and back to the Airport, to wait for our luggage, after the first incoming flight we had one tent, then a long wait before the rest finally arrived in the evening. Woohoo!!
The journey finally begins, journey planner and map in hand Portugal BOOM here we come. The drive from Madrid to Indanha-a-Nova took us about 6hours.
Finally at 2am we arrive at a line of vehicles stretched as far as the eyes could see. For the next 6 hours we had broken sleep of stop and go in the line (Thanks to the Portuguese dude behind us who woke us up from time to time) 6 Hours we were told was lucky because if we had arrived as planned (lost baggage) it could have been a 20hour wait....
After the morning Sun demanded we woke up, we got to the last winding part of the road into the BOOM site. At the big gate entrance a very tight yet friendly security checks our passports, tickets, and car boot. We get our BOOM armbands with "we are one" printed on them....finally we are now one...
Pulling into the car park there were hundreds of cars and camper vans, the sun was now beating down heavily. We decided to check out the site first before we commit carrying our baggage around in the burning heat. First impressions are: very impressive, the decor is awesome; the Main Stage at first glance and a distance look downgraded from BOOM'04 (which I’ve only seen pictures of). It’s not until you get right beside and under it do you realize the beauty and magnitude of the towering centre tree of the BOOM main stage. There is an abundance of shade beneath it.
It's Beautiful!

The massive lake seemed to cool down the entire area, and we already had visions of making the journey from dancing to cooling off in the lake. Using a BOOM sign post we direct our way around the large area. We find a camping spot under a tree on the hill behind the abundance of BOOM Restaurants, for the sake of shade we accept sleeping at a almost 45 degree angle for the next few nights, but our thinking is...you sleep only when you're tiered at BOOM so a 45degrees angle wont matter. The shade will be more valuable. Finally with tent pitched, we meet some of our surrounding neighbors. British, Dutch, Portuguese and Italian have now become fellow country men BOOM country that is.
From there, we do an extended walk about. We have a delicious bite to eat for 3euros, it fills the gap. The midday sun beats us down a little so we head over to the Chill out tent where chilled out tunes are already being soothed out. For the first time we now experience a collected positive Vibe from BOOM, the soft chill floor is perfect to lie your head down on.
After that it's heading onto time for the tunes to start playing. We head to the main stage where, a live band is setting up; a group of people sitting down have already made the dance floor home. The band begins playing, and so bodies begin moving and the smiles and happiness bloom under the Portuguese Sun. For the next 7days the usual 24hour clock becomes useless and the Monday to Sunday week becomes one constant flow of rising and falling Sun...In which we sleep, eat, dance, swim, and experience BOOM for all that it is.

I'm not one who knows DJ's names, I usual dance and if I like it I ask some one...hey who's this? I found the music great. I'm not a fan of the Dark Psytrance and night time, but found myself jamming away at 3am on two of the nights. It's true the freaks do come out at night and I enjoyed becoming ONE. The time's I enjoyed most, were waking up in morning and catching the last of the Fullon tunes in the early Sun light. Everyday the progressive tunes took us until early evening, the slow thump thump, struggled to keep me motivated all the time, but the Positive Vibes glowing from the sprinkled down dance floor kept me there everyday.
DJ Sally Doolally, and Ace Ventura provided me with some memorable moments on the Dance Floor. Being South African was again a proud moment when you see the number of gathering people increase before The Commercial Hippies set and then to see them go totally insane to the banging tunes that came out of the gigantic wall of awesome sound. Hilight Tribe have found a new dare I use this world "FAN", but those guys know how to get you going, and I would give my left pinky finger to re-live their set.
Unfortunately I only realized later at BOOM the beauty of the sacred fire, where live music entertained the people of the tribal world, until the early hours of the morning. The placing of our tent near The Sacred fire was my BOOM alarm clock, never has one sounded so sweet.
On two of the afternoons I found myself sitting in the Crystal Garden, reading the Daily Dragon BOOM newspaper and using the Crystals healing powers and listening to the talks coming from inside the Liminal Village feeding the interested minds with insightful information on specific subjects in a general category of Caring for the world and all that it is.
The Inner Visions Gallery with its psychedelic pictures kept, people staring for hours......and hours......
Details were taken care of and time and effort was put into the festival, there were peaches in the trees, UFO’s in the sky, and excellent performers.
Another impressive thing was the state of the toilets; they were well maintained and kept as clean as the rural setting allowed.

For me the biggest impact came from the people, so many diverse nations joined in a single culture and movement. Smiles from everywhere. The Portuguese people I met were beautifully open, who were excited by hosting a magnificent event for all there global guests.
To everyone that I met and shared a smiling moment, thank you for exposing me to your positivity! All our neighbors and fellow campers Bec's & James, Andréa & Andrea, Mark, Amy & Chris, Denisa & Ola, Carol & Kim, Brad & Piere, Ingrid, Marco & Patricia, Katrina & Jane, Anton, Richard, Scooter & Carl, All their crazy Danish neighbors. The dude from Amsterdam that we met Irvin AKA James with the star in your shoe, my new Greek friends Dimitri...your names understandable escape me (your pictures will do)...etc, Xicolini and his lady friend...It was great to see Hilde & Dominica again and to meet Tom. The Israeli girl who walked around on the dance floor on the final day turning our arm bands around to display the words “WE ARE ONE”, thank you for that moment. Also the Portuguese girl named Anna who drank from my water and put a dab of it on my forehead, another random special moment. The Aussie girls who sat with us in the Gallery on the second last night…that was interesting….Thank you to everyone else that I had the pleasure of meeting some of your names have disappeared, but I’m sure our paths will cross again!
We left on the evening of the 10th after saying goodbye to our new friends; a journey back to Madrid took us just under 4 hours. Then back to reality.
I think if you experience The BOOM festival, you’ve made a commitment to keep going, it’s too beautiful and everyone should experience it. I’ve made it my personal duty to influence all that I can to join me in 2008.
BOOM!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO THE ORGANISERS!!!

-DES-

Pictures @ http://flickr.com/photos/desliefaith/sets/72157594233325837/

Unfortunately there were some negative things, starting with before the festival, people were unhappy with the line up not being posted, personally having a little trust and faith helps, also not caring about DJ’s names. With such a massive event I’m sure the organizers did not want to disappoint by making any broken promises.
Secondly I was told that some people had their valuable’s stolen out of their tents, obviously there is no way to prevent this, but it’s just very disappointing. I was able to use the hired car as a safe place to store my valuables.
The BOOM money was non refundable and we and a few others were unable to use it on the 10th, but that’s our own fault I guess.
Negativity breeds negativity so that’s enough I don’t mean to complain only raise awareness for others.
Fragletrollet
Fragletrollet

Started Topics :  111
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 15:30
Quote:

On 2006-08-16 02:41, Shawnodese wrote:
P.S.: I'm still looking for the track with that sample....don't think I got it but maybe somebody can help a hand with mentioning a/the tune with this sample here

I think its Zik - pure Evil on Karmageddon or something
lokus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 15:43
@Fragletrollet:
na, its scorb - resonant evil
cause i heard it myself

btw the track is not as half as evil as the sample           - last possible solution
- trick music
- ambivalent records
myspace.com/lokuz

ps: y trance?
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 16:04
Quote:

On 2006-08-14 00:49, biberFreund wrote:

... it was music for gravediggers and noone I spoke to enjoyed this "music".

speak with me speak with me           ...
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Posted : Aug 16, 2006 16:23
Quote:

On 2006-08-14 15:56, Bagginz wrote:

8 hours straight every single night of (mostly) badly produced tracks of random scratchy noises over a bassline IMO is just a badly conceived programme that does not best include everyone (especially the trippers)
Light and shade is good.

ALL of the people that I hung out with at the festival, most of whom are serious festival veterans and long time trancers and the vast majority of people that I spoke to, hated the music at night and completely avoided the main floor every night.

Please bear in mind that I very much aware that there is no accounting for taste and that I am expressing my personal opinion.

Cheers,
Bill

8 hours was very little (please make the counts and see how much day music is spinned/mixed/produced/passed - balance is good hem?)..the only morning that i enjoyed was when penta played.the rest was about 16 hours of cheesy, tenderness teddy bears and well done produced sound - but i don´t like it (my personal taste)
and the veterans of the scene, or the old trancers, know more than other people?
i am not understanding what u are trying to say Bill..can u enlight me a little bit more, because i don´t want to interpretate, that u are saying that the elders are the ones who know, or have the ultimate knowledge - pretty elitist thought.
i think there was room for everyone, and boom, is the only festival in Portugal, that can bring good night acts - the rest of the year is very poor in terms of this sonoritie.
so please stop thinking only in yourself, or your tastes, and see that there is room for everybody - don´t like it, ok, but please respect, others likes.           ...
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Posted : Aug 16, 2006 16:30
Quote:

On 2006-08-14 20:46, lokus wrote:

i want to party in the night too and i like hard music too (but for me: with intellect, style and good productions) but that was impossbile at the boom this year.

so please can u tell us some artists you are refering to (with intellect, style and good productions)?           ...
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Posted : Aug 16, 2006 16:36
Quote:

On 2006-08-15 03:45, Methodic Marble wrote:

2º the live´s i really notice that the volume|level of the music in the live´s was really low compard with the dj set´s...why?i mean it was really easy to notice ....

yes it is true, i also felt that - in a certain way, it seemed the live´s lost a little bit because of it.           ...
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Posted : Aug 16, 2006 16:43
Quote:

On 2006-08-15 19:19, lokus wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-08-15 18:47, lurk wrote:
...i'm not saying there should be none of this kind of music, because clearly some people do enjoy it, but 7 or 8 hours a night, every night is overkill.

very true
there are a lot of people who like to party at night but dont want that super "dark" sound. what about them? there is other nighttime music too. lets play both...

imo there should be agression in the nighttime music. but i dont "understand" most of that "dark"-stuff too.
and that hasnt anything to do with "not open minded" or "full of prejudices". i tried to listen to some of these "dark" acts but i didnt get it. some of this stuff was so badly produced (thats a matter of fact and not taste) that i wondered why they could play at the boom.
but again i say, let them share the night with other acts.

the contrary can also happen - the day time with other sonorities- let´s give room to this sonorities also - dark in the morning
if u could name a few producers that produced this > "some of this stuff was so badly produced (thats a matter of fact and not taste) that i wondered why they could play at the boom."
thx.           ...
gaspard
Yab Yum

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 17:33
well, first of all i ve got to say that i m finding the level of intolerance in this topic really quite disturbing.... actually a lot scarier than anything i ve ever seen on a dancefloor thats for sure!
talk of wanting to ban this or that style of music??!!! wtf?? yeah right, let s ban this style from festivals... then this style... then what? once you finally have the ultimate music sorted out what are you going to start whinning about? the style of people. right lets ban this type of person, then this one... his dreads are too long/short, his dress sense offends me, she looks crazy, etc etc etc... this all has a really nasty smell about it...

back to the original topic:
personally i had a great time in this festival. i spent most of my time there in the chill having a holiday and it was great. i met loads of people, saw friends i hadnt seen in ages and overall totally enjoyed myself. there were many things to do and learn, lovely food stalls with excellent food, the toilets were clean, the sound systems were both very good, i saw only smiles, and the general atmosphere seemed very peaceful... not sure where all these thousands of unhappy people were hiding or these hords of satan worshippers??!!
i cant really seem to find anything to complain about... do i still qualify to post here???

to me it certainly seems as though all styles of music were played day and night. there was something for everyone. i really thought that this scene was about openess and learning and respect and all these things people are always on about in this forum and others... most of the posts seem to show something so different...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett
Nomad Moon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  134
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 17:40
a3k wrote
"speak with me speak with me"

So here we go again talkin on the merits of the dark scene and i personally don't like it ,i think it's too much.
Heavyness (and i guess that's what people like about it) in my view has nothing to do with darkness,i'm not talking here about production skills or anything like that , just simple states of mind.
i imagine that for some ,they have to came from a lower ground to uplift themselves to higher state of awarness and joy,when i started listening to psy ,about 6 years ago the first thing i would grab into was the powerfull basslines and kicks,wich remind me alot of heavy metal wich i was a big big fan in ther early 90's,and stated building up from there to the others psysounds that take a while to get used to hehe!
I'm my view 8 hours of dark it's to much compared with 4 of morning + 4/5 of prog (i personally think that some Goa from 4 a.m. would give a really nice twist,that's just an idea i had while trippin) , but u really have to see the smiles on those faces in the day time to get the idea and understand what it's all about.
To me a psychedelic trance band called "Grapes of Wrath" says it all.
My girlfriend who's fairly new to the whole psychedelic scene told me that in the first night,when we went to get some rest, that she got afraid,if that's tha sensation u want to create in peolple something's wrong.
In the end the Boom was a great experience i never went the full 5/6 days ,this was the first time,and met lot's of people from all over the world ,and they kept me entertained for the whole journey and i thank them for it
I hope i didn't offend anyone ,if i did it wasn't my intention
take care and let the good vibes flow
lokus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 18:34
Quote:

On 2006-08-16 16:30, a3k wrote:
so please can u tell us some artists you are refering to (with intellect, style and good productions)?

with pleasure:
artifakt, nrs, deviant species, scorb, ram, phyx, species,...

@gaspard :
imo its not intolerance but its was the total overkill of "dark"-psy in the night that caused that disturbance.
i said it twice, but again: let some of these acts play. sure, there is big "dark"-scene but not the whole night.
share the night with other artists.

- last possible solution
- trick music
- ambivalent records
myspace.com/lokuz

ps: y trance?
kostas

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 19:28
@ Shawnodese/Lurk:

I heard Shawnodese's "set" at the Boom this year and I have to say that it indeed was one of the worst pieces of crap I experienced in a long time. Now, this is not new or surprising, is Mr. Small-Cock responsible for some of the most horrible and ridiculous sets of the last years whenever I had to see/hear him but this seems to be a national Dutch problem as they seem to have a huge tendency towards cheesy and infantil nonsense. You make me laugh hard, Shawnodese with your pseudo-psychedelic sound.
space loop

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 20:04
I dont know about Boom - but Shawnodese definetely ruled in Fullmoon!!!
Krod20
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 20:08
Like one Japanese fellow said.... you are all lucky to have attended so such an event but comming from such a long distance you have to think alot more about investing (specially the line up).

I grew up listening to goth, power noise, very dark music at the time but like someone said eventually your demons are eventually exorcised however you still have that interest for things dark but not all the time, but if you take in consideration the status or our world The wars, our changing climate(for the worst) famine in africa etc etc. How does these events helps us understand that people can be together from all nations(the best part of boom). And to go on very dark trip I dont know if that makes any sence because may be the only reason of this events is to get away from the dark cold reality of the world.
Nomad Moon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  134
Posted : Aug 16, 2006 20:20
quote:
"And to go on very dark trip I dont know if that makes any sence because may be the only reason of this events is to get away from the dark cold reality of the world."

Trance Forum » » Forum  Party Promotions - BOOM 2006
← Prev Page
81 82 83 84 85 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Indoor - Indoor Party Outdoor - Outdoor Party Free Parking - Free Parking Free Water - Free Water Chill Area - ChillOut Area
Free Drink - Free Drink Free Entrance - Free Entrance VJ - VJ Deco - Deco

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance