Author

50 - 100 Tracks a week! :(

krelm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 23:45
Quote:

On 2005-02-13 19:31, HandA wrote:
So any one with some ideas that actually would make a difference?

Yeah, sure. 3 suggestions here:

1. Proper promotion and management. At least give an appearance of professionalism. Most psy & prog labels (especially many of the bedroom labels) don't do enough to promote their releases. Promotions look half-assed - bad english (often barely-readable), constant delays, often last-minute. If a label doesn't present their product well, they can't really expect people to take it seriously and fork over the money - aside from the few hardcore fans who would do it regardless. You don't have to be commercial or a sell-out to display professionalism.

2. Quit saturating the market with new labels! It seems that half of the new releases on Psyshop or Saikosounds are the first release from a new label. Maybe 1/5 of these new labels are actually doing something different. It used to be that the small number of labels each had their own character. If you bought a Flying Rhino or TIP or Transient CD, you knew you were getting something with the character of that label. Most lables now are just doing the same thing that 100 other labels are already doing. Why buy something if it is like countless other releases? People will pay for musical originality.

3. EMBRACE DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION!!!!! Seriously. Labels have absolutely no fucking excuse to not be selling their material digitally nowadays. You music is going to end up on file sharing networks - there is nothing you can do to stop it! What you can do is give people the option to pay you $1-2 for those one or two tracks they like on a CD they otherwise wouldn't buy (for $15+). Digital stores don't help or hurt filesharing - they just give people another (cheaper) option. Look at the success of places like iTunes, Stompy and Beatport - is the customer base for psytrance really that fundamentally different from the people who are buying progressive, house, techno, breaks, etc on Beatport and other EDM-based digital stores? No! If anything, it stands a chance to be even more successful with psytrance since the DJ culture is already more CD/digital-based than any other form of EDM.

Even though it is probably optimal, I can understand why a smaller label would not want to (or be able to) invest the time & money to set up their own digital distribution service. But at the very least, use one of the 3rd party sellers like Beatport, EDM Digital, XPressbeats, etc etc. I don't know if this will take over actual CD sales, but it will at least help! I can't count the number of times where I wouldn't spend $15+ on a CD for one or two tracks, but would have paid $1-2 for each of those tracks separately. I know I'm not alone on this...

Those are my suggestions - take them as you will.
          -----------------
Dr. Krelm DJ Mixes and Broken Symmetry archives - http://www.krelmatrix.com

Broken Symmetry on MCast - coming in 2007....
Pavel
Troll

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 00:09
Put Krelm on the helm!
The guy has more sense then all what have been told in the last 6 pages.           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
Aldus B
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 00:48
Maybe when you start to feel that out of all the 100's of new tracks coming out that most of them aren't any good, it's time to leave the psy scene. Maybe you just don't like the music anymore. Personally, I am always hearing amazing new underground sounds seeping out of my speakers like psychedelic sludge, and I still love it as much as I did the first time I heard the music. Yeah, there are some artists that could stand to put a little more time into their work, but that's just because it's easy for anyone to release music now because how far we have come technologically. But for everyone one boring track there are 10 interesting, imaginative tracks coming out. Don't blame the scene. It's stronger than ever.
damage
damage

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 06:10
Quote:

On 2005-02-13 17:53, gandharva wrote:
back to the same problem again i think this is the most argued subject here.any way its funny someone stands up for legal and illegal. it´s funny to me and makes me wonder that these guys so called artists and label editors that are defending there business and i respect that,but they dont have nothing illegal ???!!!man parties are full of illegal drugs and i dont see no one talks about it i even see posts about drugs here and they are illegal.what you come to me and tell me that you dont have gmes films music computer programs that are copys well if you dont have you must be some kind of wonder.i know that some people here want to stay in the past.but internet is the future and some guys have to accept it.and find other ways to sell cds i download also many albums and those i like ill buy them and this is nothing about support their job because i also work and dont expect tha people support me i have to find ways to stand my bussiness and artists also.and like someone say some artists have to give tanks to downloading if not no one knew them and they tired us with sick promotions here.all of this make me remind some politics that tlak tlak talk just to get hour vote

PEACE TO ALL

this is not about it being leagal or illeagal. it`s about a small comunity of ppl that love the psy-trance scene and are supposed to have respect for one another. there is no respect for the artists if you are trading. if there is , then proove it to us now...this is your chance.

i am a artist and i`m telling you now that i am interested in the same things as you are...more or less and i will always do my best to give you a good time on the dancefloor. i spend an average of 12 hours a day in my studio, so you can have some music to entertain yourselve and your friends. i believe that these working hours are longer than normal working hour , BUT i`m not complaining , be cause i love to write music for people and get huge satisfaction when they can appreciate my music.

i realise that the internet is the future, that`s why i always buy my cd`s on the internet ;-)

BUT, mp3 trading is busy killing the scene(it really is, i see the numbers dropping constandly). so you mp3 traders are making it really dificult for us artist to keep on entertaining you with quality music.

so now you know it is making life really dificult for us artist, so please stop doing it (if you have any respect)

if you`re not going to stop trading(and i know you wouldn`t) then please stop raising these issues, trying to justify it and PLEASE stop ending your messages with this PLUR word...or PEACE or something like this , because we have already astablished that there is non of this.

regarding labels not doing a good job lately...i totally agree with this one, but all you need to do is to not buy their cds, don`t fuck them even more by trading their music man....what is this for....?
Trip-
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  101
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 09:37
spidnrift
first of all, im happy at least to see you react.
secondly, I never mentioned RIAA were saints with the magic potion for success with them - you cannot just claim one way is ok, and of course I'm not mentioning that RIAA are trying lotsa idiotic measures to make more money out of whatever.

yes, let's aknowledge the reailty - let's use it for our 'good' purposes, but adapting it isn't making my morning shiny. Adopt reality heh.

and by the way, the question remains, is donwloading an mp3 and then not buying because you didn't like the track - is what was it all about in the past, when ppl bought music without knowing and therfor being 'tricked' in a way?

"buy it, it's a good CD, trust me i know stuff..."
          Crackling universes dive into their own neverending crackle...
AgalactiA
Yuli
Retired

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 09:49
Quote:

this is not about it being leagal or illeagal. it`s about a small comunity of ppl that love the psy-trance scene and are supposed to have respect for one another. there is no respect for the artists if you are trading. if there is , then proove it to us now...this is your chance.

i am a artist and i`m telling you now that i am interested in the same things as you are...more or less and i will always do my best to give you a good time on the dancefloor. i spend an average of 12 hours a day in my studio, so you can have some music to entertain yourselve and your friends. i believe that these working hours are longer than normal working hour , BUT i`m not complaining , be cause i love to write music for people and get huge satisfaction when they can appreciate my music.

i realise that the internet is the future, that`s why i always buy my cd`s on the internet ;-)

BUT, mp3 trading is busy killing the scene(it really is, i see the numbers dropping constandly). so you mp3 traders are making it really dificult for us artist to keep on entertaining you with quality music.

so now you know it is making life really dificult for us artist, so please stop doing it (if you have any respect)

if you`re not going to stop trading(and i know you wouldn`t) then please stop raising these issues, trying to justify it and PLEASE stop ending your messages with this PLUR word...or PEACE or something like this , because we have already astablished that there is non of this.

regarding labels not doing a good job lately...i totally agree with this one, but all you need to do is to not buy their cds, don`t fuck them even more by trading their music man....what is this for....?

WORD

To every single word in this post.

I also was spending 12 hours a day in the studio, for years. Till I have found out, that my music lasts for maximum 2 months long - as one that was raised on classical that lives for 400 years I was a little devastated but when I also understood that this is simply a MEAT industry that don't give a damn about those that actually PRODUCE the tunes for the dancefloor ( and especially those that try to make it somehow interesting. funky and different ), I just cut my studio time and for my own sake tried to do something else to make my living from.

You mp3 ppl just fail to understand a simple fact. To be a TRUE musician, and give your listeners the FULL experience of your work, is a FULL TIME JOB. No one said tho, that artists are the slaves of those who listen to their music. If it is so, it's a little downer...

Ok I had enough

Damage u rule           A man with a "master plan" is often a woman
Cane

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 13:21
I agree on one thing, the one who download even three albums per week have no time to properly listen to what he has downloaded. Download less or buy once per month most lovely CD on market. There is nothing bad to download music from internet imho, just listen good to it and then buy the beloved ones to support artist. That's my theory.
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 15:10
Krelm is da man...

Besides, there is one more thing I'd like to mention, I don't think it has been already in this thread..

We are dealing here with "Dance" Music.. I mean Music that is supposed to be enjoyed on some dance-floors.. And nowadays, for about 90% of this specific Music released, its life time is very short, because of several factors mentionned in this thread : the quantity, the (pathetic) seek for the latest stuff, or better the unreleased, and so on..

I strongly believe that it is an element of explanation of this situation.. To speak about myself in example, I do own only a few dance-floor oriented original records, while my backroom/chill out collection has now overstepped the hundreds..

I am allowing myself to buy so much records because I know I will still enjoy them in 4, 5 and more years because of a timeless feature that is obvious (imho) with the Chill Out..

It is somehow.. ehm.. a long-range investment !

And that is nowadays definitaly NOT the case with Dance-floOr stuff.. excepts super rare outstanding releases..

"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
Trold
Trold
Started Topics :  6
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 16:33
Quote:

On 2005-02-13 19:10, Spindrift wrote:
And I think we can agree then that one problem with the financial side of trance music is that it's too many artists and lables that want to make money while there is too small a scene to support them.
Thats just one of the points I wanted to

For shure there is to many labels, but man, I canot see how the scene is to small in any way.
When I started to listen to "Goa-trance" (as it was called then..)the scene was VERY small.
But still the "big" names at that time selled ALOT compeared to todays best selling artists.
How many partys in the mid -90's had over 3000 people..............very very few...
Now, we hav big fuckin festivals almost EVERYWHERE in the world, with tens of thousands people blasting on each!!

These tens of thousands of people must have some music at home, do most of them by it...??? Why isn't the sales nr higher then...

I canot say its only mp3, but it has something to to with it.
If they didnt invent mp3 some years ago this would not even be a issue, so it must have something to do with it.....

Kreml, u hit the nail!
We need to addapt, and Kreml' suggestions sounds like something in that direction....

Boom!
          Time of illusion.
Http://trold.trance.net
http://www.myspace.com/troldmagic
Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 16:50
@Trold
I can only say from my experience which is mainly partying in Sweden, London and Goa since the end of the 80's that it seems to be much less parties and people on the parties. I been to plenty of parties in the mid 90's with more than 3000 people. Nowadyas in at least Goa and Sweden you are lucky if you get 300 people to a party.

I'm aware of that in many other places the scene seem to have grown. Germany springs to mind for example. Russia and India for example seem to have a growing scene, but they don't buy records.
Because they are not available at reasonable prices for them I presume.

But....Goa trance was mainstream mid 90's. Even people that did not go to parties bought the goa compliations that was sold in the major shops, advertised on TV and in the Tube.
Where is those adverts now, can you go in to the supermarket and get a copy of destination goa??

Where is the labes with people with eduacation and experience in promoting?
How many lables in this scene do you think have a employed person to deal with PR at all?

And I still wonder how come the mainstream music industry is selling more the last couple of years when trance artists is complaining that sales in trance is steadily going down.
Is it only trance available in the filesharing hubs?
Does fans of other styles of music not download?

The most ironic part is that the major lables is hesitant about if they should embrace the digital future or not because they realise they will loose control over the market and small underground scenes like trance will have much better chance to take a share of "their" market.

And the trance labels instead of looking at how to take that share is looking at how the majors act thinking that they must be a model for their business.
          (``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
« .....www.ResonantEarth.com..... »
(¸.·`´(¸.·`´(¸.·`´``·.¸)``·.¸)``·.¸)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
Trold
Trold
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 18:09
@spinndrift
U had psy partys in sweden with 3000 plp in the mid 90's? Why didnt I know....hehe ;-)
I guess your "rave commition" fuckt it up a lot.... Same goes for the police in Goa over the years....
But the last Troldtyg in Sweden had about 1000 plp,
and the partys in goa that realy works has also about the same...... so maby there is a goverment\police reason also for the lack of people at partys in some countries.

And there is many other countries than Russia and India that experience a bigger scene, the whole east europe seems to me to be growing, Japan, Brasil,Mexico.....
On the globe today there is a much bigger psy-trance communety all in all, than in the mid -90's
that was my point.......

One thing I would like to point out is that the psy-trancers has always been a more or less underground comunety, making music,comunicating and announsing on the internett.
We use the computer and the internett as one of our main tools in this scene. Maby much more than other "mainstreem" scenes....
Psy-trancers are realy connected to the internett, so an mp3 file is not so hard o find.....
Not like my sister or any other of my "straight" friends.......when they hear something they like from the billboard or top 20......they go by it straight away. They dont think...lets go check the album on the internet in mp3 first.....

My point is that all these reserces you are refering to are based on the "mainstreem" marked and comunety......
U said so yourself in a nother tread that; "Sure trance sell about 1/10'th of what it did about 10 yrs ago. The same is not true for other genres."

That is what i mean......
I think our scene is a bit different......,and downloading is more commond..

Time of illusion.
Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 19:16
Quote:

On 2005-02-14 18:09, Trold wrote:
@spinndrift
And there is many other countries than Russia and India that experience a bigger scene, the whole east europe seems to me to be growing, Japan, Brasil,Mexico.....
On the globe today there is a much bigger psy-trance communety all in all, than in the mid -90's
that was my point.......

I agree that there is a globally larger community.
I was thinking about mentioning Japan, Brazil and mexico and east europe to make the list of countries where the scene has been growing.
But compare what people is earning and the prices to buy the CD's in those countries and you will find an answer to why they don't buy CD's there.

Sherlockalien already explained that for him to buy a CD would be like for an european to pay $60.

Sure I been looking a bit at information about mainstream media and facts about filesharing.
Because i do find it relating to smaller scenes future as well.
And like i said, the funny thing about it seems to be that the big labels is being hesitant to accept the current state of technology because they fear loosing much control to small labels.
And the small labels are hesitant to embrace the technology.
I wonder why that is, thats really what I'm wanting to find an answer to.

But my ranting about this subject is not really motivated from trying to get answers.

I just think that it would be good with less blaming and demanding and more good vibes and understanding.
Less about finding scape goats and more looking for opportunities.

(``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
« .....www.ResonantEarth.com..... »
(¸.·`´(¸.·`´(¸.·`´``·.¸)``·.¸)``·.¸)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
Trold
Trold
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 19:22
I totaly agree in that...;-)           Time of illusion.
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 19:33
Another article on the death of CD media:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/13/1759218&tid=141&tid=1
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Feb 14, 2005 22:05
Quote:

On 2005-02-14 19:33, basilisk wrote:
Another article on the death of CD media:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/13/1759218&tid=141&tid=1

Maybe it's a little off topic, but this article says:

"A subscription-based service will be built into the latest version of Microsoft Windows; for between $10 and $20, users will access songs for a monthly fee but will be unable to burn them onto CDs. The only way they'll be able to listen to them is via a digital music player such as the iPod, or on a computer."

This is one of the biggest bullshit I ever heard, it's impossible to prevent data that is being uploaded to my computer to be recorded and used as I want.

This has nothing to do with psytrance, but if Microsoft says it's impossible, I'm one of the thousands persons around the world with enough computational power to prove they are wrong.
Respect!           .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - 50 - 100 Tracks a week! :(
← Prev Page
5 6 7 8 9 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance