Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Lucas Presents: God Save the Machine (TIP.World, 2006)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Lucas Presents: God Save the Machine (TIP.World, 2006)

Psychedelic_Mustache
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : May 20, 2006 20:55
Artists: various
Title: Lucas Presents: God Save The Machine
Label: TIP.World
Catalog: TIPWCD47
Format: CD
Released: 2006
Cover: http://tinyurl.com/lekkr

Tracklist
01. Raja Ram And Lucas - Intro
02. Eat Static And Lucas - Primitive Earthlings
03. Tristan and Lucas - Porcupine
04. Dickster an Lucas - Living Dangerously
05. Laughing Buddha and Lucas - Binary Bonanza
06. Aphid Moon and Lucas - We are your friend
07. Hallucinogen and Lucas - Pipeworm
08. Queens Park Derangers - Create a Hippy
09. Prometheus and Lucas - Nerve Centre
10. Sybarite - Liquid Lunched

Allright, it's time for yet another compilation released on Tip World... Tip World, you say? Have they been doing anything recently that should make this thing appear interesting? No, no... they pretty much seem to have lost it, but I know I've said that before, and then all of a sudden they reveal some unexpected ace from up their sleeve. The tracklisting here is enough to make my visa burn, and an all-british offering ceirtanly sounds interesting. I've always thought of the british psy to be a tad more 'edgy' than most notably israeli and german competing scenes. Let's all sit down and have a jolly cup of tea while tuning in to the tracks...

01. Raja Ram And Lucas - Intro
Delicate pianonotes merge with various voice-samples and some spaced-out sounds for about thirty secondes...Well..It's an intro, nothing more - move along!

02: Eat Static And Lucas - Primitive Earthlings
Eat Static almost allways keeps to their alien themes, and this is no exception. Packed with extraterrestrial samples and scifi-themed sounds this is (somewhat) full-on with a distinct eat-static edge. A couplle of more break-beat'ish sections gives the legs some rest. A pumping track, but far from being among the best of their tracks. Overall a nice opening, though!

03: Tristan and Lucas - Porcupine
It's been a while since I've heard any new tristan-material...I know he's a favourite of alot of psy-heads, but to be hounest I've allways had somewhat of a problem with alot of his music. Can't quite put the finger on what, but I've often felt like something was missing.... Porcupine is a metallic, almost industrial sounding track. It's pretty hypnotizing causing mild head-nodding or manic dance-attecks depending on mood and circumstances... It morphes, squeaks and changes enough throughout to make this a very nice an interesting piece...Nice!

04: Dickster an Lucas - Living Dangerously
We head deep down into the jungle with Dickster to live dangerously - and me oh my - dangerous it is! Tribal and technoid elements together with stabbing acidlines as well as some more floating, dreamy soundscapes. I'm not to happy about the use of voice-samples here though, but thats a minor detail..

05: Laughing Buddha and Lucas - Binary Bonanza
Starting very spacey with samples describing space-travel from one side of the galaxy to the other wile some eerie blip tease your ears a little. A steady beat kicks in, and when this thing really gets going it's as groovy as groovy can be. Still I think this tracks lacks that little extra edge that would really make it stand out though. An abowe average track, but under par in this context..

06: Aphid Moon and Lucas - We are your friend
We move a bit closer to full-on terretory with aphid moon. No worries thogh, this is more diverese and moving stuff than you'' often find within the genre. It's also got some mad acid bassline-action going on and there is plenty of variation throughout. Packed with energy, I'd be happy to be presented with this on a dancefloor. Nice!

07: Hallucinogen and Lucas - Pipeworm
Whenever I listen to a new hallucinogen-track for the first time I get this weird feeling inside. I mean...what would people do if he fucked up? Riot in the streets of london? Would you see despaired dreadlocked kids spontaneously killing themself around the world? Luckilly he manages to to do some serious damage once more. And I mean god damn!! - This is god (Read:great) stuff! It's so delightfully oldschool-sounding but still it manages to maintain a fresh, crisp and extremely danceable exterior. The sonic manipulation going on here is of classic Hallucinogen recipe, and unlike todays fashionable darktrancers he also squeeses out some nifty melodies to go nicely together with the rest of the madness. Ehrmmm....I Demand a new album!!!

08: Queens Park Derangers - Create a Hippy
Jules Hammer of Aphid Moon and Jeremy van Kampen of Laughing Buddha team up with Lucas to form the Queens Park Derangers. Together the three happy britts try to create a hippy, but unfortunately they only manage to do so half-way. There is something about this track that sort of make it seem like it's not quite done....can't quite put my finger on it, but this didn't get to me..

09: Prometheus and Lucas - Nerve Centre
Prometheus is due to release his second album later this year. If you're one of those people who just can't wait this track will make the itch even worse. This is an intense, uptempo ride. An extremely hypnotizing beat and a flute-like syth are the two driving elements. This together with a myriad of other constantly morhing and shifting soundscapes create an atmosphere perfect for both home-listening and dancefloor mayhem. Nice!

10: Sybarite - Liquid Lunched
To finish the album we head down a little deeper, a little darker and a little more laied back than on the other tracks here. Lot's of bass, lots of space and alot of small little squeaks and quirks are key elements here. This is one of those tracks that I needed some time with before I could really enjoy it. It's a hypnotizing piece, and some of the acidlines in here are pure bliss. nice ending to a very nice album!

Final Remarks:
As I mentioned earlier TIP World hasn't really been all that exciting lately. Sure some of the stuff they've released has been ok like the recent Hujaboy and last years Melovskys-album(even though that one was on tip NEW world...) That being said, this compilation is in a whole different league and truley stands out in TIP worlds catalog. Is it a perfect psychedelic trance-album? No - It has a few moments that sort of drags it down. Is it a great one? You bet!

Tomas (Psychedelic Mustache)

Buy it here:
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/hoezt
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/jgqav
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/z6yxd
Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/h9s4c
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/hvo9l
Play: http://tinyurl.com/h2zdk
Take A Break

Started Topics :  2
Posted : May 21, 2006 03:53
...so then, re-apply it to your brain that TIP-World Divinations are inspiring us all again!           ohm - dance. Dance is active meditation. When we dance we go beyond thought, beyond mind and beyond our own individuality - to become one with the divine ecstacy with the cosmic spirit.
stompa

Started Topics :  7
Posted : May 21, 2006 13:16
This is one of the best compilations I've heard for ages, some tracks are pure magic.Thumbs up to Lucas and Tip
Misha(Overlap)
Neogen / Overlap

Started Topics :  29
Posted : May 21, 2006 17:34
the best compilation of the year!!!Love all tracks!
This is real psy trance stuff!!!
          Planet Ben Records
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 21, 2006 17:54
After the Hujaboy album, TIP.Worlds best album-release in a while, TIP.World bring us "the real thing": their absolute best compilation in years, "Lucas Presents God Save The Machine".

The British psytrance sound always had a very raw, organic touch, and this is certainly no exception - it's very far away from the cheap plastic-synths from the Israeli teenie-fullon generation, and the sound has a true feel, and an incredible warmth Skazi and the rest of the posse can never ever reach.

"God Save The Machine" isn't the epic masterpiece I was hoping for though. It's more raw, full-power dancefloor psychedelia than magical soundscapes, and although it beats the hell out of most other psychedelic music these days, I guess I was hyped up to expect something really magical. Dickster, Tristan, Hallucinogen, Aphid Moon and Queens Park Derangers all provide some great psychedelic trance, but in my opinion only Prometheus manages to really capture something truly magical and mysterious in his tune.

That being said, this really is an essential compilation. Welcome back TIP!          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : May 21, 2006 22:07
Stellar compilation!

I can safely say, that this is the best TIP.World release since The Secret Of The Thirteen Crystal Skulls... Fucking awesome! Every single track is RIPPING - bursting with psychedelia... It's coming out the wood work!

Sure, there has been great compilations in the last couple of years, but not quite in the style of God Save The Machine. (I do not own Unusual Suspects 2 released on Twisted in 2005, which I believe is also a proper belter...). What I'm saying, is that this is the best goa-like modern psytrance compilation released in years... Tip.World started getting better with Imagi:Nations Parts 1 + 2, but before that (backwards until The Secret Of The Thirteen Crystal Skulls) their releases were a joke...

I like everything about this - from the well-laid-out flow to the sweet, glossy artwork - and of course the fresh nu-style goa-like psytrance... Sure you can find more complexity in old school releases - but this is a 2006 compilation, with improved production quality and techniques... And it's real fucking sweet! =D

/DP          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
kristyandmoe

Started Topics :  4
Posted : May 22, 2006 09:27
This would possibly be the first full-on release i will spend my money on in the past 2 years. Fantastic effort.

keyop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : May 22, 2006 12:04
Welcome back Tip!

If only tracks 5,6 and 8 were Dino, Joti and Monro, we would have had a full house.

Mr Lucas clearley has his eye on the ball.
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : May 22, 2006 12:36
This comp is pure brilliance, sonic manipulation of the highest caliber; NO cheese, NO cheap synth’s, NO electro and NO-nonsense, essentially uncompromising psychedelia, hovering amid light and darkness.

Hallucinogen and Lucas deliver a true masterpiece, a track which I will cherish and not over-play, since, tracks like this, are so rarely released. The beat is spectacular, the rhythm is sublime and the psychedelic mind games are sure to blow-your-mind! News of Simon having begun work on his new album are sure warm many peoples hearts, especially after this track and bubble and squeak, yet, the release date is sure to surprise even the most devoted fans !

Tristan and Lucas present a vicious delicious track, which starts-off as perfect psychedelic progressive trance, and turns into an absolute stormer of epic dimensions (this is progression, but not progressive, only in structure). I’m terrified of the mayhem which this track could cause on the dance floor - I think I would run towards the chill-out stage!

Prometheus and Lucas convey or tell a story; a very thematic and hypnotic track, a quality of melodies which one only finds in the UK, particularly at Twisted Rec.… Astonishing work – need to listen too this track many, many times before I fully grasp the concept of the track. One can only look forward towards the coming release of Prometheus’s two albums, which hopefully will be very soon. The trance album will probably set new standards for psychedelic trance music in general, and the chill-out album, is sure to be a knockout as-well.

Wonderful music 9/10 (10/10), I don’t think its better then Unusual suspects 2, however, both CD’s are about the same level – with unusual suspects 2 having a slight advantage because of the Hikkomori track. At times the skills and know-how of these boys sounds almost arrogant or simply elevated above the rest of the scene, IMHO.

"Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : May 23, 2006 10:27
Quote:

On 2006-05-22 12:04, keyop wrote:
Welcome back Tip!

Seems like they got a knock on the head, and desided to go back to their root of releasing quality music for quality people. =)
rumble pack / motion drive
Rumble Pack

Started Topics :  23
Posted : May 23, 2006 16:53
i know i will be cruzified and cutted in 4 pieces...and i'll have lot of enemies after what im gona say here...

but..to me its funny...everybody is bashing GMS etc. for repeating their own formula all the time.
but sorry..imo simon and hes fellows are sounding exactly the same since their very first release..

its good psychedelic trippy music, with great twists. But far from beeing new or innovativ. Its just what these guys are dooing since years..

its quality music, and its psychedelic...but its always the same formula, the same sounds, same percussion/kiks

my opinion
          www.myspace.com/motiondrive
http://www.myspace.com/rumblepacknaturalflowmotiondrive
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : May 23, 2006 17:36
Do you think that the new Hallucinogen tracks released at varies compilations are the same as old Hallucinogen such as the albums "Twisted" and "Derenger" is "the same"? I strongly have to disagree. My taste is not important here. But what I DO like, is that Hallucinogen at leasts keeps his music simular and good as all the other Hallucinogen tracks released in the past and future. If you want a variation with a Simon touch he has provided you with releases as "Younger Brother" and "Metal Sharon". Sure I can see that also these band projects has "that" Simon sound, if there is a "Simon" sound (yeah, ok, there is).

I do agree with you if I twist my head a little to the left. Lets just see how his new Hallucinogen album will sound. Lets see if it's still as Hallucinogenic as the old stuff. I for one like the new Hallucinogen, but the old is much more twisted.

If you want fresh new psychedelic trance music with a twist and a boot full of trippyness. Then Simon is growing old, and to fond of the "Shaman/AYA" vibe. Listen to Hallucinogenic Horse or other releases from derengo's label, and you'll get REAL trippy psychedelic trance. Simon is for mature and peacefull trippers. .. hehe, i might be wrong. But just my thought. =)

Psykovsky!!!

EDIT: ah! I see. You wasnt just talking about Simon, hehe. My bad .. Well, it's better then GMS ect? But release this style over and over again for a couple of years. And they will dig their own hole. I see your point. Do you see mine?
rumble pack / motion drive
Rumble Pack

Started Topics :  23
Posted : May 23, 2006 17:50
as i said..its not about the quality of the music, i said clear its good music.

But what im pointing out is:
GMS sounded aswel completle diferent on their first albums..even more diferent then simon does imo.

Soi thats for all the "formula bashers". i think simon is dooing exactly this. of course he has other Projects, but GMS has them too

maybe GMS is not the perfect example..but they are always bashed for that.

and again..its not about the quality of the music...i just feel as if simon is dooing the same stuff as hallucinogen over and over again. Even its quality...i just cant hear a big diference...or at least not a bigger difference from what other artists like GMS are sounding now compared to befor...

same goes for shpongle btw. 3 album was same same...i love it..but its the same again

lol..hope u get what i mean
sorry..bad english

www.myspace.com/motiondrive
http://www.myspace.com/rumblepacknaturalflowmotiondrive
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : May 23, 2006 18:03
Well of course, your just stating the obvious, the objective point of view. We all can hear that it's quality music. One doesn’t have to like the music to understand that it's quality. Hell, there's plenty of quality music that I don’t like "just" because my subjective taste doesn’t fancy it. Quality in production, quality in it's heart and style bla bla. People tend to forget the difference between subjectivity and objectivity (though we as subjective humans are enable to see things in a 100% objectivity.)

Um, but yes! I believe I agree with you. Their using a lot of formulas. But there’s a good saying; “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”. I’m sorry to say that GMS’s formula IS broken (lets just use GMS as an example, we all know what we mean). So it NEEDS a fix. Soon this Twisted sound (or what ever) will feel broken as well to many ears. While people such as Green will still float in a cloud of bliss by their sound beacause he loves, and understand the music with all of his heart. A true fan. And Twisted got a few of those.

PS. I made a small edit to my Previous post.
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 23, 2006 18:08
The difference between GMS and Hallucinogen, is that the Twisted Records psytrance sound is limited to a handful of releases every year, while GMS have hundreds of copycat artists producing the same sound.           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Lucas Presents: God Save the Machine (TIP.World, 2006)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance