Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Why you use MP3?
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Why you use MP3?

piko_bianko
Oxya

Started Topics :  57
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 01:05
'I FTINIA TROI TON PARA'.. it's a greek expression meaning 'cheapness consumes money' in a funny way...
whoever on this planet used this rule, though, became really rich. it's the rule of: x-item costs 4 euros, y-item costs 6 euros, so everybody prefers not to buy 1 Y because it's more expensive but he could easily buy 2 X's only because they're cheaper. anyhow 8 euros were spend.

so, if cds were indeed cheaper, they would sell a lot more and everybody's cd-case would be a lot happier.

as on mp3 convinience, being a lot easier to 'double click' than to 'insert disc', you can grab tracks from original cd to 320kbps quality... it's legal too           extreme
volvox box
Inactive User
Started Topics :  13
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 02:52
i use it because mp3 its kewler variation of signs then wav wghile combinations suck ass.           http://www.insected.com
http://www.shkart.com
piko_bianko
Oxya

Started Topics :  57
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 02:54
totally true nolightatend mate. thumbs up           extreme
Cardinals Cartel
Black Machine

Started Topics :  191
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 03:16

Never use mp3
No in my sets and not in producing .
Only Wav , Rar and Ogg !
DETOX

Started Topics :  296
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 05:09
I am not a producer or dj or mastering engineer but i can tell from a mile whether a track playing on a big soundsystem is an mp3 or a wav.

Specially in parties and festivals mp3's are so different than wav's that i feel embarassed for the dj up there who plays his music using this kind of format.

I dont know how and why but wav sounds more 'heavy' and more 'powerful' in my ears than mp3 that sounds more 'weak' and 'trembled'.

Me i use mp3 only when i am on a long trip and i burn a cd to listen in the plane using my headphones cause changing cds while in a flight can be a pain in the ass somethimes.Also got some mp3 compilation cds that i listen to before going to sleep with very careful selected tracks cause its not nice being in half sleeping state and having to change a cd.

Other than that i find mp3s tottally unacceptable for more 'professional' purposes like djing in a party.           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
Mahamudra (Sagiv)
Mahamudra

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 05:31
Quote:

On 2005-12-04 02:09, nolightatend wrote:
Mahamudra guy, i can assure you that if you come to my studio with nice monitoring system i have and i will make a blind test of 4 different formats (Wav, MP3, WMA and some other OGG or AIFF let's say). You wouldn't be able to to say when is what. Surely after you see mp3 extension it clearly make you subjective from the start.

Vinyls are analogue, right? and digital data is made of dots and short lines, right? so vinyl is much better, right becuase it's constant? Do you think someone at club or party care? Nope, if you can hear the difference it's because you know what extansion file is or looking to find spoofs.
Psychology, mate, trust me or not but the one who discover this compression found that most of human are not able to hear that much difference between compressed and uncompressed formats.

There are some who can, but who told you and who are you to tell what is better? It's like to compare Lee jeans to Diesel jeans, Diesel cost more but it doesn't mean they are better, mine got into trash after less than year.

look , there is no doubt that Wave is much better than mp3 mate never mind if you can or can not hear a difrence, you right in one thing if i will hear a track that i never heared befor (mp3 320) there is a chance that i wont know if its a wave file or mp3,
and not becouse i cant tell if it is mp3 or not becouse i never heared the track befor on Wave so i dont know how "good" or "clear" the sound in that track, but one thing is sure i will tell you that the sound is crap.
some ppl hear a difrence some ppl cant,
bottom line, Wave is much original than mp3,
the track was made in a wave format (16 , 24 or 32 bit ) so any changes the file is going thru making him false.
if ppl like this sound better or not we can not argue on that, as its a matter of taste.
but my opinion is: i say that Wave is better becouse its the closest to the original file that the artist made.
and i wouldnt recommend to play mp3 in parties trust me
why use elite sound system in parties if DJ's playing mp3 tracks? thats hilarious to be honest.
let me tell you a lil' story...
i had a chance to listen to infected mushroom track in a party, some artist that i wont say his name played the tune, well in that track there is singing on top, well the track is playing but at the time that the track got to the singing part pfff no singing nor the melody, it turns out that he played a mp3 file .
i wouldnt want to be in this poor guy shoes at that time           --------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/mahamudraaa

www.betarecords.com/mahamudra
--------------------------------------------
Nobita
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 07:32
Quote:

let me tell you a lil' story...
i had a chance to listen to infected mushroom track in a party, some artist that i wont say his name played the tune, well in that track there is singing on top, well the track is playing but at the time that the track got to the singing part pfff no singing nor the melody, it turns out that he played a mp3 file .
i wouldnt want to be in this poor guy shoes at that time

Um... what? mp3 compression doesn't take off vocals or melodies man...           Row row row your boats gently down the stream; merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream.
Mahamudra (Sagiv)
Mahamudra

Posted : Dec 4, 2005 09:27
Quote:

On 2005-12-04 07:32, Demezriel wrote:

Um... what? mp3 compression doesn't take off vocals or melodies man...

i have an old song that in a certain sound system i can hear the vocal and in another i cant

Mahamudra (Sagiv)
Mahamudra

Posted : Dec 4, 2005 11:34

actually im not arguing with you ,

you said: "Do you think someone at club or party care? Nope."
answer: yes ppl do care thats what the topic is all about, isnt it?
i gave you my opinion on that + an example about a DJ that played mp3.
and to clear my point, i can think about 2 reason's why DJ's playing mp3's
1. they cant get the original file.
2. ignorance, lack of knowlesge about the low quality of mp3.

you ask: "who told you and who are you to tell what is better?"
answer: Wave is better than mp3 its a fact the end. (and i gave my opinion about that to stay ontopic)
where am i arguing with you? and where am i answering you about things you never mentioned?

by the way i hope you got your self a new pair of jeans Mr."I'm right in everything i've said"

good day

Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 12:50
Weird how these MP3 topics always seem to get so emotional.

One thing can be concluded, which is - the people giving their input for the article on http://www.djmag.com/djtech018.php do not notice the big "mp3 problem".

This points to one inevitable conclusion, the "problem" is blown completely out of proportion.

There is another factor though - Perhaps the article is not trustworthy or perhaps the problems inherant to MP3s first show up at PAs where the sound level is extremely high.

There is a big difference from good studio monitors, to high end hifi systems and to a PAs.

The PA aims at playing at very high sound levels without distorting into an area of 20 meters or more (but really, the sound quality is often crap on any PA compared to good monitors or headphones) - Still, the music is MUCH louder, and this might interact with the MP3 compression routines in a way only noticed in that environment.

Thats my theory at least... I dont notice the difference myself, and in my experience the weakest link in the chain of sound is often the PA setup or the accoustics at the venue.....

But, I bet you will notice the difference between 192 - 320kbps MP3s & CDs on a professionally setup PA sound system.

Afterall, this is what many people say, who tend to be trustworhy individuals interested in sound quality.

But, I dont think people should get all emotional over it - Perhaps some organizer who has the right PA setup should take responsibility and do a credible test with a group of 10-20 listeners, to listen for "differences" and "what they subjectively think sound the best" - Im amazed it apparently hasnt been done yet and posted on the net.

I think, once you do such a test and document it in a credible manner we can resolve this issue once and for all.
If noone makes this test, I will at our upcoming event. Then we will see, and that will hopefully put an end to it
Lots of highly qualified people say the exact same thing - but all are subjective to distrust. Soooo, we need hard proof.

Best Wishes

Krell
          Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
volvox box
Inactive User
Started Topics :  13
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 13:25
Carate cartel wrote
Never use mp3
No in my sets and not in producing .
Only Wav , Rar and Ogg !

Now what is ogg mate but if not variable mp3?
And how the fuck do you use rar? do you have rar decompressor on your cd player?           http://www.insected.com
http://www.shkart.com
Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 15:29
That sound is very subjective is something that manufacturers of audio equipment have realized for a long time.
Make two identical microphones, but put a high price and renowned label on one and a vast majority will say that that one clearly sounds better.
Thats just how our hearing works, so the only way to make objective mesuremkents of audio quality is by blind tests.

I put together some snippets from some tracks that you can test with.
There is three versions of each snippet, a, b and c.
They will be either wav, 320k CBR or 190k VBR, but the mp3 versions have been decompressed to wav again so you cannot tell them apart.

I'd be very happy if especially DETOX and Mahamudra would like to have a quick listen and tell which ones is the truly horrible sounding and which one is the obviously clearer sounding wav.
And anyone else is of course welcome to post the result of their listeing test here as well.

The download (17Mb):
http://resoearth.gotdns.com/tmp/mp3test.zip
          (``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
« .....www.ResonantEarth.com..... »
(¸.·`´(¸.·`´(¸.·`´``·.¸)``·.¸)``·.¸)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Why you use MP3?
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance