Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  DJs & Artists - Doctor Spook and bad/no payment !?!?

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Doctor Spook and bad/no payment !?!?

Shawnodese
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  141
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 08:54
After having wondered for many months why I (and many others as well I found out) deserve such treatment I've decided to throw things out in the open. This time the painful subject of discussion is no one less/no one more then the (in)famous Doctor Spook ! I decided to open the trashcan on this man 'cause I simply believe there's a lotta artists (specially the young ones, that are naïve, willing to take risks and eager to release, but even quite a lotta known and respected artists) that are being mistreated by people like Natan/Doctor Spook. Abuse of trust and enthousiasm, abuse of good spirit, abuse of trust and so on are some of the trademarks that Natan/Doctor Spook has been showing over the past years, and after talking with quite some friends about this man, we decided to bring it out in the open. As some of you might now, I'm always up for a good and healthy discussion and don't fear anyone for that matter 'cause I believe in karma and know it always works flawless....and if there's things for me to learn about doing this thing here and right now, then I'm sure willing to face those lessons, but for now this felt like the right thing. I'm not trying to ask everyone to put their shit stories on Spook here, that's not what this post is for, but it's a post that me and some friends decided to put/support to check how big the damage is that he's done amongst artists that never got paid by him. I'm sure there's people that did get paid and also those stories can be put here, after all the idea is to get a clear view of what's going on with Spook and Geomagnetic. The reason why I put this story here and why I'm pissed @ mr. Spook is because till the day of today he has refused to give me the official sales numbers of our last Mind Funk compilation which HE has distributed through his Geomagnetic Distribution. We both started to collaboration with mutual trust, but Spook has unfortunately shown that he's not worth that trust....and he goes even further...he's NOT willing to send me the official sales numbers on our last compilation, the only thing I got was a lousy notepad so far, with a few numbers he put on it.....and that's it !!!!!!! Can you believe such a thing coming from a man that pretends to run a professional label and distribution? Personally I was shocked to hear all his endless lousy excuses, we had a major arguement about it and so far there's been nothing that I could think off to try and force him to send me the numbers of our sales, asking nicely up to threating and trying to get a lawyer on top of this didn't help a bit. Spook is known for his politics of "hide & run" amongst many people he owes money or something else to.....and well, we're fed up with this and decided to nail the man to the cross like he deserves it.....and we won't let him down till he shows his face and pays the bills he owes.....so my dear fellow freaks out there.....it's time for your response, and please, try to keep it nice, without being rude, insulting people and things like that. We're trying to SOLVE a problem here with bringing it out in the open....we don't wanna get the topic closed and seeing things get worse or change into a childish fight ok Thx a lot....and we're looking ffwd to hear from you here !           Mind Funk Records
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.myspace.com/shawnodese
www.myspace.com/mindfunkmusic
Crying Orc Project
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 09:43
Sad Indeed.
but what can u do about it ?
there's some labels owners that cant stand behind them words, and dosent respect nothing from the artist's works.

they just wanna make money on our back's !!!
for exasmple: Psyber tribes records
nik the owner didnt payed me for like a year now, maybee more.
and i didnt heven got the compilation copy!

well... my point is, there nothing to do about such ppl, we can only hope that in maybee 2-4 years we'll get our money
or not.... hehehehe

dont take it hard mate, it's all for the best.
rumble pack / motion drive
Rumble Pack

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 10:00
good to hear we are not the only ones who got problems with this guy...

fortunatley its not that big in our case...

1 year ago we sold him a track for a DVD. He said he'll pay some weeks after the release date. The Problem is he never released that track or this DVD. I asked every 2 months since then whats up and when he's gooing to release the track..he always said in 2-3 months.

Well...now he dont even awsners the emails anymore. Means for us we can release the track somewhere else...but could be dificult as this track just got 1 year older...

So...we didnt lost money or something, but it shows the atitude of this guy, when he dont even answers the emails he recived, and if he awsners he lies...

www.myspace.com/motiondrive
http://www.myspace.com/rumblepacknaturalflowmotiondrive
Hagenith
Hagenith

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 14:41
Well the best way for this kind of labels is to boycot them.Simply artists shouldnt send him a tracks.            www.myspace.com/hagenithmusic
Scorb
Scorb

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 14:54
Yo!

Sad to say that I have had problems with Spook too. I have stayed with Spook (Nathan Vogel) on the times I have played in San Francisco and despite observing that he likes to make a quick buck, thought he was a good guy.

He asked me to do a remix of Thundermental in return for which he would make me a video. Fair enough I thought.

I spent a number of days remixing the track (at 2 different BPMs so he could sync video to it more easily) and sent it over. He sent me a contract stating that I would receive a promo video in various formats for promotion etc.

Unfortunately i refused to sign the contract as it handed over all rights to the track. I never give away my rights as an artist and Spook seemed pretty agitated that 9i wouldn't sign. I told him that he should take my word that it was cool to use the track for his DVD as long as he split with me any further revenue that the track may generate (ie re-licensing to Yellow sunshine explosion).

Well not only did I not receive a copy of the so called promo video, he never sent me a copy of the release either. To add insult to injury the track did indeed get picked up again by Yellow Sunshine Explosion. Not only did he neglect to inform me of this but he kept all the cash too. Now he is selling the track online all over the place. It even got to number one on Cytopia (a site that say they ensure artists get a fair return on their work!)

I had the unfortunate experiece of seeing the video as well and I was really unimpressed. This was meant to be a video for promoting me but I just wouldn't want to be associated with it. There was no apparent relationship between audio and picture and were it not for him using a character that I designed I wouldn't have recognised it as relating to Scorb at all.

Whilst Spook is a great animator technically he just isn't very creative or imaginitive. Sorry mate but i could have made a more psychedelic video animating black pieces of paper.

So I am yet to see a penny from that track and even thinking about it makes me pissed. I have kept quiet about the situation, just warning a few close buddies not to get involved.

However, now my friend Gosse told me about this thread it's time to spread the word, so other artists have fair warning. This guy doesn't keep his word, doesn't respect other artists and is seemingly only interested in cash.
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 16:08
these are sad times for psychedelic music           ...
Khopat
Khopat

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 16:29
Well i tried not come public before talking to this nathan/dr.spook , but this guy doesnt reply to mails , dont show up in internet , nothing , just keeps himself hided , cause as i see , he has a lot of people after him , well i sold him 3 tracks , and i never get the money , not even the cds ... this is such a lame atitude , and like other USA label Kagdila , keeps releasing stuff without paying artists for past releases , and this guy still has the guts to ask for new tracks , so i ask all people no to give tracks or other multimedia stuff to this guy , and to all listenners dont buy geomagnetic releases , cause this label is ruining psytrance!

Boom

PS: Im sure that this topic will be filled with people asking for their money and rights!           www.Spectralrecords.com
www.Hypergate-records.com
www.metatron-production.com
Ankur
Ankur / Virgin Suicide

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 19:40
yeb same here!!
i released together with my flatmate under the project name Virgin suicide and we never got payed..
also same then vasco he never replyed to my messeges neighter mails or skype...
iam usually not a friend from bringing this things puplic, but from my own expirience and from what i heard from other artists, this is more then a ripoff.
not that he is just selling the cds with out paying the artists for, he is also selling the trks in knowen mp3 sites with out even asking the artists...

i think its an pretty criminal way of doing buissnes!
and i think its time to work together as artists and starting sue this kind of bastards....

if anybody of the artists he is owning money to is interested in working something like this out pls send me a pm or messeges me on msn..

boom boom           Freqs of Nature Festival 2012
http://freqsofnature.de
Lost Theory Label DJ
http://www.losttheoryrecords.com/
Terranoise(Max)
Terranoise

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 20:05
Also the same.. Sold him a track and never got no money and no answers for messages..

Bros, have my full support..
Need to make order in our scene..

This is the End of geomagnetic and other such labels..
k.t
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 20:09
BEWWARE the forumafia hehehehehe

dr. spook u can run but u cant hide MWUAHAHAHA

------------------------------------
enter the time of CounterCulture !
Shawnodese
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jun 19, 2007 20:19
Hey Ankur....I just found out there here in Holland there's special legal systems to support the less fortunate with legal assistance. It's a kind of insurance where you pay around 40 Euro a month and because of this insurance you have the right to get a lawyer or even more then 1 if really needed to assist you with any lawcase possible. Maybe try to find out if something like this exists on German, or better...European/International levels, that way all the artists here can join together, have 1 or a few lawyers take care of their case and pay a reasonable fee for this, instead of what is normal here in Holland for a bit of lawyer, which is easily around 160-200 euro for an hour only ! Hope you can find out about this and then it might surely be a good idea for all artists to join eachother in a collective to avoid getting ripped off like this.....<br><br>

Spook, u should be ashamed of yourself for abusing the trust of so many people u call your friends....is this what you do to friends man           Mind Funk Records
Ankur
Ankur / Virgin Suicide

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 20:29
Quote:

On 2007-06-19 20:19, Shawnodese wrote:
Hey Ankur....I just found out there here in Holland there's special legal systems to support the less fortunate with legal assistance. It's a kind of insurance where you pay around 40 Euro a month and because of this insurance you have the right to get a lawyer or even more then 1 if really needed to assist you with any lawcase possible. Maybe try to find out if something like this exists on German, or better...European/International levels, that way all the artists here can join together, have 1 or a few lawyers take care of their case and pay a reasonable fee for this, instead of what is normal here in Holland for a bit of lawyer, which is easily around 160-200 euro for an hour only ! Hope you can find out about this and then it might surely be a good idea for all artists to join eachother in a collective to avoid getting ripped off like this.....<br><br>

Spook, u should be ashamed of yourself for abusing the trust of so many people u call your friends....is this what you do to friends man

thx for the info man, its about what i was thinking about, but far as i know u gotta do that in the usa in this case.
i will inform my self about this and will let the other artists know...

also i wanna make one thing clear: NOT ALL USA LABELS ARE LIKE THIS. mass abduction the label i work mainly with is paying everything UPFRONT.

boom boom           Freqs of Nature Festival 2012
http://freqsofnature.de
Lost Theory Label DJ
http://www.losttheoryrecords.com/
Shawnodese
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jun 19, 2007 21:00
Mass Abduction is Mexican for quite a big part....lots of proper locochones involved !
          Mind Funk Records
Guinea Pigs
Guinea Pigs

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 21:08
Yes, unfortunately we have problems with Spook as well. Our first released track was at Geomagnetic, but we've never received our payment. We refused to sign his draconian contract, and in reply he tried to MAKE us sign it by threatening us that if we don't sign it, we'll never get paid. He wasn't that eager to get the contracts before the release and suddenly it's a first priority....
But anyway, we've learned and we're glad it was only 1 track and not much harm was done.
It's a shame that some labels take advantage of new artists instead of helping them flourish. In the long run, a thankful artist is much more profitable for the label then a resentful one, especially for its reputation.
And for all new artists, a few tips:
-NEVER EVER give a WAV file before you get paid.
-Don't sell your tracks to labels that suddenly want discounts in order to promote the music bla bla bla...You'll get stinged pretty fast.A label should have all the economical means in order to produce and promote a CD without any "donations" from the artists.
-Choose a fixed price for your tracks.
-Don't work with such labels just because no other wants your tracks.Either you just didn't find the label suited for your style or you just need to improve yourself.
If any artist have anymore tips to add, please do. It's time to stand besides new artists and against these labels and we can start by preventing new artists to join them!!!
Hope we've helped here.
Cheers

http://www.guineapigs.tv/
www.myspace.com/guineapigstv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Guinea-Pigs/88772502448
d1m1tr1

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jun 19, 2007 21:30
no personal experience with spook but i could point out 1-2 other 'labels' that are in this case...

this is really boring and deceiving,...

let's do a general topic hoho

http://darkelf.gr
http://www.sonic-loom.com
Trance Forum » » Forum  DJs & Artists - Doctor Spook and bad/no payment !?!?

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance