Author

The Roland SH-101 appreciation thread

Outolintu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Nov 24, 2010 22:47:44
the beast itself:

with a modulation grip:

if anyone has a grip and wants to sell it > p.m. me a.s.a.p.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh101.php

i was surprised there was no thread about the legendary goa/psy-trance synth so i decided to make one. it's such a lovely hands on, tweak it til ya drop synth with a distinctive and warm sound. it doesn't have midi so you need a cv/midi converter box (or you can buy f.e. a novation bass station and get a nice little, fat synth AND the converter in the same package ) for midi control.

almost everybody used it in the mid 90's and blue room records dedicated a 2cd compilation called "made on earth" to it

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Made-On-Earth/master/36877

i guess it doesn't fit the digital crispy sound of today but i'd still recommend it to anyone that's interested in a versatile analog mono synth.

the roland sh-09 and mc-202 are also worth checking out if you're not able to get your hands on a sh-101.

"no one ever sweats on a plug-in" -moby
freechameleon

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 1, 2010 12:08
true, the 101 is an amazing synth. it's so immediate and direct to tweak on. because of it's simplicity you can 'dial in' every sound in an instant.

i must admit that i sold mine again and got a 202 instead, because it's much smaller, more portable. it's so tiny, it leaves the impression of a small toy, compared to the 101 which looks and feels like a real instrument. nevertheless the same joy to tweak and the same sound. (except noise)
in the near future i'll get it modded for better CV control.

and just recently i got the sh 09 in great condition, also a great synth. sounds a bit more rough, organic and deeper as the 202, but it's all so subjective. ;-)

both are very cool for acid and 303 stuff, pwm leads, wobbling basses. and i feel so retro when i tweak them. :-P
A.Rosengren
Solid Snake

Started Topics :  266
Posted : Dec 1, 2010 13:11
Fantastic synth, even though we don't own one we have the next best thing. The TCpowercore01.

A

Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Dec 1, 2010 23:26
Check this video as well:

Almost as good as the TB-303.
Outolintu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Dec 2, 2010 09:59
^ that's not a dry sound... or i've been doing something very wrong the past years
imo he's using distortion to get the 101 squelchy.

i had first a 202 that i traded into the 101. i got hold of 09 later but sold it after a couple of years since it was very similar to the 101. the only difference was that somehow it didn't inspire me the same way as the 101 and the sound was a bit more mushier and dustier

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh09.php
          "no one ever sweats on a plug-in" -moby
klippel
Stereofeld

Started Topics :  91
Posted : Dec 3, 2010 09:57
Quote:

On 2010-12-01 13:11, A.Rosengren wrote:
Fantastic synth, even though we don't own one we have the next best thing. The TCpowercore01.

Did you ever compare the VST to an original? The sound of the original SH101 is often described as very warm. I do feel the sound of the Powercore01 to be very harsh and rather "digital" sounding..

Would love to play with an original to know how big the difference really is..
Cheers           http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/stereofeld-frequenzwechsel
"I've always been a believer in musical repetition to draw in the listener and make the music hypnotic. Another thing I believe in is repetition." Alan Parsons
A.Rosengren
Solid Snake

Started Topics :  266
Posted : Dec 3, 2010 17:35
Yeah you do need to dirty it up a bit klippel

A
Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Dec 4, 2010 20:31
Should have bought one a few years back.
Prices seem to go up pretty fast over the last 2 years.
I've seen them for less than 400, now there easily over 600.
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Dec 6, 2010 01:38
Quote:

On 2010-12-04 20:31, Djones wrote:
Should have bought one a few years back.
Prices seem to go up pretty fast over the last 2 years.
I've seen them for less than 400, now there easily over 600.

yep its expensive now,price are insane for vintage stuff ,it was costing nothing years ago but for some sounds nothing sound as good.i had a sample of a amazing psytrance snare/clap made on a 101 , softsynth were just sounding like toys when trying to recreate it, not even close,not even in the same space. there was something missing...fake sound.even if it s way more expensive than in the past it can still worth it for many sounds.
makus
Overdream

Started Topics :  82
Posted : Dec 28, 2010 16:17
I don't have a grip for the synth, but if you kindly bounce me several keys of saw waves init patch sound, i would bу really happy

www.overdreamstudio.com
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Dec 28, 2010 19:09
I appreciate it, a lot!           
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 30, 2010 15:23
btw esm and es1 can sound very close, on some sound their caractere make me think to old roland synths more than any emulation of the 101 i tried , esm can make these sh101 saw bassline very well with a bit of processing
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Dec 30, 2010 16:06
The free TAL bassline sounds closer to the SH-101 than esm and ES1, to my ears at least.
Actually the free TAL Bassline plug in, is an ok compromise if you can't have the real thing, especially since its free. I am getting to use it in tunes with distortion for acid lead lines and it works very well.

Peace out.           
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 30, 2010 20:55
you make me think to install these synths again ! i enjoyed them veyr much when i tried them ,specially the elektro, haven t checked the last one yet. on pc there is also xhip , i remember some xhip vs sh09 samples that sounded very close.
PsiloCybian
Mammal Footwork

Started Topics :  92
Posted : Jan 2, 2011 13:57
D16 is making a new synth called luSH-101 so i guess we will get a pretty good emulation soon (but with more possibilities):D

www.psilocybian.com / www.facebook.com/psilocybian
Trance Forum » » Forum  Equipment - The Roland SH-101 appreciation thread

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance