Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - The A.U.M Festival, Full Moon July 2007, North America
← Prev Page
17 18 19 20 21 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

The A.U.M Festival, Full Moon July 2007, North America

nod

Started Topics :  3
Posted : May 30, 2007 21:06
Quote:

On 2007-05-30 19:06, krisamadhi wrote:
I think what wichdokta is saying is.

Your asking for people to invest in making this party happen. (travel expenses or what not)

But the investors are not receiving any of the profits. (if there are any)

how is this different from any other psytrance festival? most fests pay the headliners' travel and booking fees, and then offer other djs partial travel compensation if they are lucky. i have yet to attend an event where i was not "investing" in the party by paying a significant portion of my own travel expenses - i've played at gaian mind twice for free (one of the biggest festivals on the east coast) and am eager to be returning this year, also for free. I've played in Wisconsin twice, once for free and once for less than half of my travel fees...played in Texas for $25...and I do it all because I love going to the events and connecting with people at them, which is part of the reason why I became involved with organizing this event - so that we could try to get everybody together in the same place at the same time and increase the connections from coast to coast and everywhere in between...and rather than telling people "well we'll pay you if we can afford to" we are offering all artists an equal amount of money that we think will be a reasonable match for what we're expecting to bring in from ticket sales for the event.

Nobody in this country that I'm aware of is making a living off of putting these types of events together - and very few people are really able to make a living off of making music or DJing. I think we all decide to engage in what is essentially a very expensive hobby, and anybody who doesn't realize that while they're getting into it (or shortly after) is either very confused or in it for the wrong reasons. really, nobody can become a DJ or start writing music unless they can afford it either, so should we be giving out money to the people that wish they were DJs too?           http://www.djnod.net
Mistress of Evil
Mistress Of Evil Records

Started Topics :  101
Posted : May 30, 2007 21:08
Hmmm, I really don't understand the issue you are trying to get at....
this is a non-profit fesitval. any money made will be reinvested in future AUM events. Why is that a problem?

We are planning this festival in the style of radical participation. Your investment (for everyone: artists, deco people, crew members, party goers, etc) purchasing your ticket and covering your transportation costs, covering your expenses, etc.... the return on the investment is not financial, but rather the experience we will all create together. If you are looking for financial returns there are certainly better things to spend your money on. However, if you really vibe with the vision statement of the festival and want to seriously work towards consciously creating our own reality, then this is probably a really good investment for you! Its a huge opportunity to meet with like minded people from all different places, to dance together, to celebrate together, to learn from each other, and to go home inspired to spread that vibe to everyone who is open to it!
Yes it takes a massive amount of resources to organize an event like this, but we are trying not to make that the focus. This is not a festival about money! I do not have much money myself, yet i am saving to buy my plane ticket for the festival. Not because i expect anything financially in return but because i believe in the AUM vision.
None of the organizers of this event have large amounts of money to invest. But why should we let capitalistic boxes stop us from really creating something we believe so strongly in. We really need to find ways around this money driven society and get back to the things in life that really matter. We can do this if we all work together, contributing what resources we DO have. Its either one person (or a few people) pay a lot of money or, we all chip in a little bit to help manifest this vision.
its really time to let go of this linear thinking and try to see things more holistically!!
Try something new!
get out of the box!
choose your own adventure!
peace!
cuckoo.
meow.           Bringing Dreams to Life!
www.encantadaproductions.com
Mistress of Evil
Mistress Of Evil Records

Posted : May 30, 2007 21:12
btw, this is a really great discussion - i mean we really wanted to shake things up with AUM, to flip the "norm" on its head... AUM is not like other festivals, its time for a new vision!           Bringing Dreams to Life!
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : May 30, 2007 21:38
Quote:

On 2007-05-30 17:34, wichdokta wrote:
The people need to know how this is being ran. If no one is making money at this, than how come if there's money made, it goes towards throwing the next one. Sounds like the promoters stand to make money for the next gathering if the people come.

yes, I agree completely - if people are being asked to invest their services, effort, and time, they have the right to know exactly what is happening with that investment.

That said, I don't think anyone is looking to profit from this gathering, rather to create a different model for a participation-based festival. Perhaps a profit-sharing mode for performers expenses is a workable idea - or maybe AUM-fest fundraisers, like the one in NYC, can become a familiar sight around the country. This really should be a festival put on by the various tribes working together for ourselves. This is the first try, the next one will go smoother, I am sure.
          ..it's just another party..
David(KIVA)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : May 30, 2007 21:47
sounds like you want everyone else to take responsibility for its failure. Its already June...........

why do it when you can't guarantee a great experience for the paying customer.

OR just do it for free! don't ask anyone to pay for, or chip in as you put it for anything. that will really make a statement. Create that something you've been talking about without asking people to put there wallets on the line for a mediocre experience.

most other festivals don't need help. Its june and your still thinking of ways to fund it or asking others to think of ways to fund it. take responsibility for it! thats what the people want. Nobody wants to be put to work. Why when I can go to another festival and not have to lift a finger.           http://soundcloud.com/djkiva
Skeeve
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  38
Posted : May 30, 2007 21:57
Wait a second... I think this conversation is the result of AUM's decision as to how to fund itself; therefor they are not currently thinking of ways to fund it, nor soliciting cashish from people. They've come up with a way to fund it (ticket sales/artist contributions), and they've implemented, and now we're talking about it.
David(KIVA)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : May 30, 2007 22:01
I know, thats part of my point. its June...the party is in July... and your all still talking about it.....           http://soundcloud.com/djkiva
konvndrvm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : May 30, 2007 22:10
Simmah down now. Simmah.

lol.
Skeeve
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  38
Posted : May 30, 2007 22:11
you say that like its a bad thing... yes people are talking about it, but they are also DOING it... at the same time. As I said above, they've come with a way to fund it, and IMPLEMENTED that way, and now there is discussion going on AROUND that way as it is being implemented. Would you prefer that radio silence be maintained?
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : May 30, 2007 22:16
Quote:

On 2007-05-30 21:47, David(KIVA) wrote:
Nobody wants to be put to work. Why when I can go to another festival and not have to lift a finger.

my most memorable experiences were when i DID put in a lot of work and effort and made something happen, not just sat and watched from the sidelines.

i hate to sound cliche, but it was a trip to burning man many years ago that made me realize how rewarding it was to actually participate in a collective effort and create something amazing. Bman is not the same these days, but back then you could really feel the energy of everyone there focused on contributing to the collective experience. it was a life-changing 8 days. i am not sure if AUM will provide the same level of experience - i certainly hope so, but that's what i personally try to achieve when organizing events in my home scene in Colorado.

..it's just another party..
_Collision_
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : May 30, 2007 22:30
I for one cannot friggin wait for this ozark mts, lots of great acts/friends, lots of new acts im excited to see from all around, and best yet, 5 DAYS! woo! ill be there from begginning to rock out till the last beat everyone within a 10+ hour radius should seriously consider going as there is going to be mayhem!
Mistress of Evil
Mistress Of Evil Records

Posted : May 30, 2007 22:40
wtf, when did AUM become a "mediocre experience"? how can you assume that, it hasn't even happened yet... i am sure if you built a time machine and traveled to the future you would realize that you are gravely mistaken, and that actually AUM is a life changing experience for those who choose it to be so!
we have figured it out, it is happening, i dont get your post man...
          Bringing Dreams to Life!
ohmy
Fractal Cowboys

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 30, 2007 22:41
Quote:

On 2007-05-30 21:47, David(KIVA) wrote:
sounds like you want everyone else to take responsibility for its failure. Its already June...........

why do it when you can't guarantee a great experience for the paying customer.

OR just do it for free! don't ask anyone to pay for, or chip in as you put it for anything. that will really make a statement. Create that something you've been talking about without asking people to put there wallets on the line for a mediocre experience.

most other festivals don't need help. Its june and your still thinking of ways to fund it or asking others to think of ways to fund it. take responsibility for it! thats what the people want. Nobody wants to be put to work. Why when I can go to another festival and not have to lift a finger.

we aren't asking anyone for money :):)
we are creating something of which has not been seen or done, on earth, in our lifetimes...
you might disagree... you might disagree here .
but this is what we are creating.
thinking in terms of our past experiences hopefully will be fully inadequate for the experience we are about to have....

I take it, you didn't go to a good party last weekend either, huh?
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : May 30, 2007 23:06
K.
I want to buy my ticket before all this talk kills my
motivation
@ Aum ppl
Someone please tell me when and where I can go ?
KaiserSoze
Primordial Ooze

Started Topics :  11
Posted : May 30, 2007 23:18
"Its june and your still thinking of ways to fund it or asking others to think of ways to fund it."

To me it looks like they had most everything planned as far as budget. This discussion came up as some people that were invited declined due to insufficient reimbursement and Rich had questions on how profit for a not-for-profit was being handled. I don't think the promoters could have gone any better route than giving equal amounts to artists. I thought we were discussing profit being held by the promoters vs being redistributed to the people who paid to play the event...

Gaian Mind isn't fully covering my cost to play, but I'm ecstatic to go play there (AUM as well). I also don't know of any plans to share more cash if they make money. (Not to use GM as the only party like this) Like Don said, why is AUM being treated different?

This is a good conversation to be had, but I see don't see how this indicates AUM is already going to fail or has failed because we are talking about it now. Isn't AUM's intent to have a lot of discussions happen like this at the festival itself as well?

"Why when I can go to another festival and not have to lift a finger."

The original intent of this was to get the US promoters and scene to do a national party and get together. It takes sacrifices by many people to make something like that work. Not just a few individuals. That was the original request when the AUM fest was first introduced. Not some recently introduced concept.

Of course AUM is not a requirement for every US psy act, promoter, etc to help with, if they don't feel that they want to help or the reimbursement is not enough that is their decision.

Rich said this:
"But was that the criteria for the lineup, who can afford it?"

I believe the criteria was trying to get the US scene represented. But when throwing an event if something is going to cost you too much you have to cut it from the budget or you go with a less expensive alternative. Again, I think there was no other way to do this event other than equal reimbursement.
          AntiShanti/Sangoma
Chilluminati.org, T.O.U.C.H. Samadhi
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - The A.U.M Festival, Full Moon July 2007, North America
← Prev Page
17 18 19 20 21 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance