Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - review: shpongle may 2nd 2009 @ irving plaza, NYC

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

review: shpongle may 2nd 2009 @ irving plaza, NYC

DanVapid

Started Topics :  32
Posted : May 4, 2009 04:55:02
wow, i must say shpongle put on a hell of a show last night @ irving plaza. even though it was a dj set, it turned out to be a full blown audio-visual experience thanks to the Archedream (spelling?) dance crew (many may know them from their performances @ GMSF). they really provided the perfect complement to Simon's music, and the two combined had the place in a frenzy. even if he's entered the mainstream now, his music and performances have retained magic and classy delivery. i didn't find the show to be cheesy at all! the crowd definitely had a younger disco biscuits element to it, but was overall a great crowd compared to I.M., for example. i was told Simon might be doing the whole tour with Archedream, which is great news! I can see these guys really taking off now, riding the coat-tails of Shpongle fame. they're really a talented crew and have a great concept. Didn't see many familiar faces, which was disappointing though not unexpected, but there were possibly 1000 people there, so it was hard to tell. I guess many people decided just to attend the afterparty (which would have been more of a REAL afterparty if it had been a continuation of the actual show. instead i think it was promoted more as an alternative to the main event) my only complaint is that the Irving Plaza sound system is not well suited for dance music, but i guess this could be solved with proper tuning. however, since they had a live band (J.Viewz) as an opening act, this would have been tricky to do.
LumaDaylight
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : May 4, 2009 15:54
nice nice...very excited that i get two nights of shpongle in georgia, cant wait
miEtek

Started Topics :  2
Posted : May 4, 2009 17:25
we been there as well .
Archedream (spellling)was the best part and I am very exited as well that they might do whole tour with Simon. Show was so so .... Just Dj set .....
Crowd was bad ,had to put some kids back to reality when they start messing around us...
Disco kids ,high as kite.
Irving plaza place not really best venue for this kind of show.But well .....
Enjoyed old Shpongle stuff like probably everyone else ,new stuff suck.
Veni Vidi Vici ,no more shpongle for me.
Amen.           na kopcu Kosciuszki za sterami Komandor.OrZech..
MadPsyintist

Posted : May 4, 2009 18:56
This was my seventh shpongle show over the course of 4 years and I have to say it was one of the worst ones even though I still had a great time. Not because of the music at all... but more because of the crowd. I swear some of the kids had to be 15 or 16 ... doing bumps right out in the open. jesus shouldn't you be drinking in your parents basement. save that stuff for college like everyone else. I have an aversion to indoor events because they get crowded (oversold) and hot and everyone smokes even though they're not supposed to..but this place was extra weak. I mean, tin ceilings? and under the lower parts you could barely hear the music. but shpongle is shpongle and you can't not enjoy the music...the new stuff was cool... it was just a bit different and like most things will take a few listens. One thing is for sure, I am getting too old to play the elbows game with little kids on molly. I think I'm just gonna stick outdoor and more psy oriented parties were mutual respect is more prevalent
wichdokta
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : May 5, 2009 17:22
Quote; "MiEtek" - Veni Vidi Vici ,no more shpongle for me.
Amen.

He's a sold out, washed up shaman who does'nt like trance anymore. He likes money!
muthdog

Started Topics :  5
Posted : May 5, 2009 18:13
i agree with the wichdokta, but he makes some damn good music.

i have seen him now about 10 times since he played cielo in may 2005, and each and every time i see him he blows the roof off the place. i dance harder and harder all the time and he makes the room go crazy!
psynoobie

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 5, 2009 20:46
Quote:

On 2009-05-05 17:22, wichdokta wrote:
He's a sold out, washed up shaman who does'nt like trance anymore. He likes money!

Yea!!!
if sell out simon saw 'psytrance' at a party he would give psytrance the infamous cold shoulder look away...if he saw papa gil he would start walking the opposite direction...

simon has twisted the counterculture aspect of the goa ritual and appealed it to the same people gil wanted to stray away from when he came to first came to india....

good thing the most well know psytrance figure is still countering the culture while appealing and offending most psytrancers.... AND! good thing all of our trusted psytrance artists won't have to contemplate the magnitude of their success anytime soon! whew...

random rant...
DanVapid

Started Topics :  32
Posted : May 5, 2009 21:36
god forbid anyone ever was able to make a living off their music...

anyone who expected psytrance or a psytrance party or a psytrance "vibe" was bound to be disappointed.

psytrance people have such hypocritically narrow minds some times!

konflux
Konflux

Started Topics :  25
Posted : May 5, 2009 22:03
They do, Brandon, that's why it's highly recommended to mix things up a bit. Get out of the psybox sometimes, lovely people.

myspace.com/konfluxpsy | www.konfluxmusic.net | PsyTribe | Phar Psyde Recs. | Logical Light Recs.

For CD releases:
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/search.asp?search_str=konflux
distantcontact

Started Topics :  4
Posted : May 5, 2009 22:30
Quote:

On 2009-05-05 21:36, DanVapid wrote:
god forbid anyone ever was able to make a living off their music...

anyone who expected psytrance or a psytrance party or a psytrance "vibe" was bound to be disappointed.

psytrance people have such hypocritically narrow minds some times!

+1!!! thank you brandon for pointing that out! I actually have been thinking about how our scene complies with much counterproductive behavior since that awesome post about the need for individuals of all shapes sizes status' egos and reputations to pay for parties....and if you are throwing a party/playing music at parties going to parties outside of your production company to show support for the scene you belong to. It would be great to see phily artists in NY more -i kno everyone is busy, has jobs etc but I think we all could make a little more of an effort...

We - as a community - participate in a phenomenon called groupthink...This is an excerpt from my group dynamics course book:

Members of a group consider loyalty to the group the highest form of morality. That loyalty requires each member to avoid raising controversial issues, questioning weak arguments or calling a halt to soft-headed thinking.

The greater the threat to the self-esteem of the member of a cohesive group, the greater will be their inclination to resort to concurrence-seeking at the expense of critical thinking. Symptoms of groupthink will therefore be found most often when a decision poses a moral dilemma, especially if the most advantageous course requires the poilcy-makers to violate their own standards of behavior. Each member is likely to become more dependent than ever on the in-group for maintaining his/her self-image as a decent member of the group and overall human being and will therefore be more strongly motivated to maintain group unity by striving for concurrence.

Does anyone else think were groupthinking? (Signs of GT)
* illusion of invulnerability
* rationalization of past decisions
* unquestioned belief in the group's morality
* stereotyped view of opponent
* conformity pressure
* self-censorship
* illusion of unanimity
* mindguards

so I do not believe our community groupthink's to an extremely detrimental level, but I think it is something everyone should be aware of........lost train of thought and the specifics i wanted to include about half way through this post
....criticize, question, challenge, and play devils advocate instead of complying and conforming.....

gee wiz....i suppose I should have started a new topic....
jds

Started Topics :  8
Posted : May 5, 2009 23:40
I'll bite, I love this sort of thing.

I would totally agree that the typical psych 101 'in group association theory' is easily applied to the psytrance scene. But I wouldn't attack the scene for it (not accusing distantcontact of doing so). That behavior evolves in any culture and the unfortunate reality is that it thrives here also.

That said, the trap is worth being mindful of and discussing, especially in a community that purports mind expansion as a primary tenet. How cool would it be if we could aspire to be greater than this?

So ya, yes on all counts. Including starting a new topic so none of this comes off as an attack against anyone's posts in this thread (which I think were all relevant opinions regarding the original post).

...and any hope that anyone might still not realize that I'm an over analytical twat (unlikely) is now completely lost...

alus12

Posted : May 6, 2009 04:08
psytrance is without a doubt where my heart it is, but i am essentially part of that scene i guess except im not an asshole and am rather courteous of people around me.... yes the young kids rolling their face off bothers all of us, but if you go to any type of electronic music event that is not psytrance this is what you will be seeing...

Sadly i rarely attend psy events for the mere fact that i have to BEG friends to go with me, however i know a shit ton of people in this 'bisco' scene that are not the asshats that everyone thinks they are. Just like every other scene, you just have to dig a bit deeper and you will find there are like-minded, great people to be discovered. It took me a while to do this but i have made myself some great friends out of this dirty ass scene..

on the fact that simon has sold out, i dont believe that. he has just grown in a totally different direction. I saw him do a live Hallucinogen set last year and it was fantastic, crisp and on point. I've seen him do about 2-3 shpongle dj sets and they are always meh, Simon was never known for his dj skills but who doesn't love to hear shpongle tunes.

Younger Brother live band is awesome... was great to experience last year and i will definitely be enjoying it again this year..

yes simon no longer makes 'underground' music, but his tunes are still awesome, well layered and sophisticated and as long as it is i for one will continue seeing him.
Axis Mundi
Axis Mundi

Started Topics :  75
Posted : May 6, 2009 07:15
Quite frankly I see people a lot older act a hell of a lot weirder after binging on different drugs of their choice on a regular basis at trance parties.
bastardsamadhi

Started Topics :  9
Posted : May 6, 2009 23:49
Hey -- according to Club Catalyst's promo text, Simon is coming thru knoxville in support of his Forthcoming Second album, "tales of the inexpressible!"

It's a "bonaroo afterparty!"

*smacks forehead* oh, the irony. if shpongle's 2nd album really was still forthcoming, I might actually be interested in going.... ten years too late and 120 degrees out of context.

wichdokta
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : May 7, 2009 19:11
Most of the tracks Simon plays are remixs by other people of his music. His " Hallucinogen in Dub " was the best thing to come out with his music and someone else did it hahaha. He is a masterful business man and did what Infected did and made some money. That doesn't mean we ( the narrow minded ) have to like his music or his personality. I have a friend who tried to give him a demo and Simon said ( no pun ) " Psytrance doesn't interest me anymore ". How can you do something like make spiritual music like psytrance and 13 yrs later not be interested in it. If he is a shaman and is of support for this world psy family and the next generation, how can he do and say things like that. I, as an elder of the psy scene here in the States, want and except every demo givin to me. I listen to it and give feed back to the person who gave it to me. Big up the next generation. And be nice to your fellow music lovers!
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - review: shpongle may 2nd 2009 @ irving plaza, NYC

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance