Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - question to producers and all
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

question to producers and all

Soul Kontakt
Soul Kontakt

Started Topics :  40
Posts :  632
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 01:57
Of course you need to know the scales and much more to make music! How can you wright music when you don't even know it's alphabet? Scales are the least you need to know in order to express yourself in music...

my 2 cents           Boom :)

SOUL KONTAKT - 12th Planet new track on www.myspace.com/soulkontakt
Soul Kontakt Live for demo or booking email soulkontakt@hotmail.com
www.soulkontakt.com
vegetal
Vegetal/Peacespect

Started Topics :  19
Posts :  1055
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 02:33
Quote:

On 2008-03-18 22:18, Ellon wrote:
If you are doing your music from scratch...usually Chill-out demands better music knowledge.


What?? what does music knowledge have to do with handling an instrument? i rather think your referring to instrument knowledge, if not then i can´t understand your reasoning.

Quote:

On 2008-03-19 01:57, Soul Kontakt wrote:
Of course you need to know the scales and much more to make music! How can you wright music when you don't even know it's alphabet? Scales are the least you need to know in order to express yourself in music...


I say its not an obligation to know scales and notation to make music, you learn how to talk from your parents, you can use the language verbaly but not write it thats enough to make it through your day. Same thing with music, make a melody it doesn´t take a rocket scientist to figure out if it sounds good or not right.
Perhaps it takes longer to arrange but you still are able to create complex melodies and complex music with the absence of notation and musictheory.
Got alot of friends that makes music and hardly knowing what tones they are playing, maybe i should mention one friend that just has a lot of experience but no theory, he is now selling tracks to the swedish contest that will determine the swedish contribution to the "eurovison song contest".
They are commercial as fuck and i can´t stand them but he still makes great productions.           Demand recognition for the Armenian genocide 1915
http://www.devilsmindrecords.org/
http://www.myspace.com/vegetalmusic
http://www.checkpoint-music.com/
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posts :  1221
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 10:31
[quote]
On 2008-03-19 02:33, vegetal wrote:
What?? what does music knowledge have to do with handling an instrument? i rather think your referring to instrument knowledge, if not then i can´t understand your reasoning.
[quote]

I was refering to the fact that when you possess, lets call it music knowledge, your capacities to compose in a random instrument increase a lot....both "knowledges" go hand in hand!!!! But i also dont take any value to whatever lies inside each good musician which makes you go that step ahead.

You gave the example of... "you learn how to talk from your parents, you can use the language verbaly but not write it thats enough" ....in both situations (speak/write) you are receiving knowledge, and the better the source the better you acquire your skills. I can even tell you that once you learn how to write your "talking" improves very much so....


          
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posts :  1221
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 10:32
....          
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
Soul Kontakt
Soul Kontakt

Started Topics :  40
Posts :  632
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 12:32
[quote]
On 2008-03-19 10:31, Ellon wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-03-19 02:33, vegetal wrote:
What?? what does music knowledge have to do with handling an instrument? i rather think your referring to instrument knowledge, if not then i can´t understand your reasoning.
Quote:


I was refering to the fact that when you possess, lets call it music knowledge, your capacities to compose in a random instrument increase a lot....both "knowledges" go hand in hand!!!! But i also dont take any value to whatever lies inside each good musician which makes you go that step ahead.

You gave the example of... "you learn how to talk from your parents, you can use the language verbaly but not write it thats enough" ....in both situations (speak/write) you are receiving knowledge, and the better the source the better you acquire your skills. I can even tell you that once you learn how to write your "talking" improves very much so....






I agree with Ellon if you don't know how to wright music you are a very limited musician because you are trying to wright a language that you don't know but that you think you can listen. In very complex melodies when you have to put more than one together it's impossible if you don't know music because even though you might be hearing it right it could be better just by changing a few notes! In my opinion a person who does not know music and makes music is running into an endless tunnel, and i cannot understand why you want to make music and not learn music theory? to be quick so you can be on the stage performing? For the love of music the real thing to do is to learn theory at least!           Boom :)

SOUL KONTAKT - 12th Planet new track on www.myspace.com/soulkontakt
Soul Kontakt Live for demo or booking email soulkontakt@hotmail.com
www.soulkontakt.com
vegetal
Vegetal/Peacespect

Started Topics :  19
Posts :  1055
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 14:07
Quote:

On 2008-03-19 02:33, vegetal wrote:
What?? what does music knowledge have to do with handling an instrument? i rather think your referring to instrument knowledge, if not then i can´t understand your reasoning.
Quote:


I was refering to the fact that when you possess, lets call it music knowledge, your capacities to compose in a random instrument increase a lot....both "knowledges" go hand in hand!!!! But i also dont take any value to whatever lies inside each good musician which makes you go that step ahead.

You gave the example of... "you learn how to talk from your parents, you can use the language verbaly but not write it thats enough" ....in both situations (speak/write) you are receiving knowledge, and the better the source the better you acquire your skills. I can even tell you that once you learn how to write your "talking" improves very much so....





In very complex melodies when you have to put more than one together it's impossible if you don't know music because even though you might be hearing it right it could be better just by changing a few notes! In my opinion a person who does not know music and makes music is running into an endless tunnel.


Wow you are really a pretentions, why would it be impossible to add two melodies togheter without music theory? You said it yourself;
" even though you might be hearing it right it could be better just by changing a few notes!
OR it could be better to just listen if it fits and trust your ears more than the theory, maybe you´ve created something new? ISn´t that what your always talking about, creating something new?

Let me tell you what. i´ve done it, layering music without having a deeper theory behind it, so that proves that its not impossible as you claim it to be, maybe it was impossible for you?

Edit: Some people enjoys the smell of their own farts, thats a fact           Demand recognition for the Armenian genocide 1915
http://www.devilsmindrecords.org/
http://www.myspace.com/vegetalmusic
http://www.checkpoint-music.com/
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posts :  1221
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 14:40
Well one thing is for sure....if you have an idea (concept for music) and you "understand" music scales its much easier to put it outside than if you dont....you know what sort octaves you are aiming for and also what fits better this specific register when setting another melody on top or under....Some people learn alone some have formation, but musical knowledge/education increases your capacity to fully explore your potencial....           
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
vegetal
Vegetal/Peacespect

Started Topics :  19
Posts :  1055
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 19:42
TO the topicstarter: No genre is harder than the other its what you as a producer do with it.           Demand recognition for the Armenian genocide 1915
http://www.devilsmindrecords.org/
http://www.myspace.com/vegetalmusic
http://www.checkpoint-music.com/
Soul Kontakt
Soul Kontakt

Started Topics :  40
Posts :  632
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 20:15
Wow you are really a pretentions, why would it be impossible to add two melodies togheter without music theory? You said it yourself;
" even though you might be hearing it right it could be better just by changing a few notes!
OR it could be better to just listen if it fits and trust your ears more than the theory, maybe you´ve created something new? ISn´t that what your always talking about, creating something new?

Let me tell you what. i´ve done it, layering music without having a deeper theory behind it, so that proves that its not impossible as you claim it to be, maybe it was impossible for you?

Edit: Some people enjoys the smell of their own farts, thats a fact
[/quote]

Without music theory you will make good music but up to a certain point. You will be like many others you will never be like Space Cat or Silicon Sound, Cosma, Aes Dana, Solar Fields etc... people who have a style of their own not just listen and try to make what others already make, but create music through knowledge and love and studying and hardcore working on the sound! This is the real way to arrive to something really satisfactory in my opinion...Only few persevere to make music what it really is and you seem not to be one of them my friend! I really cannot understand why you are so contrary against music theory when it's such a good thing to know when you are a musician...maybe because you don't know it so that explains why you talk like this, because when you learn it it will be a different story

bom
vegetal
Vegetal/Peacespect

Started Topics :  19
Posts :  1055
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 20:34
Quote:

Without music theory you will make good music but up to a certain point. You will be like many others you will never be like Space Cat or Silicon Sound, Cosma, Aes Dana, Solar Fields etc... people who have a style of their own not just listen and try to make what others already make, but create music through knowledge and love and studying and hardcore working on the sound! This is the real way to arrive to something really satisfactory in my opinion...Only few persevere to make music what it really is and you seem not to be one of them my friend! I really cannot understand why you are so contrary against music theory when it's such a good thing to know when you are a musician...maybe because you don't know it so that explains why you talk like this, because when you learn it it will be a different story

bom


Lol you are so out there, so according to you the only thing that separates a "good" producer from a "bad" is music theory. you just read music theory and that places you with the top producers and if not then you are like the "others" your world sounds very black and white.

Geez, its called “theory” for a reason, it seems like your reading “music law” sorry to disappoint you cause its not a law!
And btw “bro” I got my music theory in place so don´t you worry, I have NOTHING ( yes that’s true) nothing against music theory, but when you talk about it like it’s a law and that its the only thing that separates the good musicians from bad, and I highly disagree with you. Let me tell you what i think if you apply the music theory onto everything you do, YOU will sound like the others. let me give you an example: why do you think "Hit music" sounds the same? because they usually apply the "circle of fith" using 3 chords from that. Are you familiar with that circle btw?

You can study music theory all your life still there is NO guarantee that you will make “great” music as you would define it.

I do agree its a good tool no doubt, but not something thats necessary.

As for you your music my friend I think you got a few more years of “music theory” to study

          Demand recognition for the Armenian genocide 1915
http://www.devilsmindrecords.org/
http://www.myspace.com/vegetalmusic
http://www.checkpoint-music.com/
Soul Kontakt
Soul Kontakt

Started Topics :  40
Posts :  632
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 20:41
It's not law man, it's a great tool though and if somebody ask me what you need to make good music it's definatley one of the first things i would suggest, but anyway it's just a different opinion in the end the music talks by itself my friend, nothing personal but you know music theory so why do you argue that you don't really need it?
frambonas
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posts :  166
Posted : Mar 19, 2008 23:13
Quote:

On 2008-03-19 19:42, vegetal wrote:
TO the topicstarter: No genre is harder than the other its what you as a producer do with it.




Thats 100% right!!!
Spindrift
Spindrift

Started Topics :  33
Posts :  1560
Posted : Mar 20, 2008 00:14
Quote:

On 2008-03-19 01:57, Soul Kontakt wrote:
Of course you need to know the scales and much more to make music! How can you wright music when you don't even know it's alphabet? Scales are the least you need to know in order to express yourself in music...

my 2 cents



I'd say scales is like the melodic equivalent of presets.
The principle is the same...scales is templates just like presets and they improve the workflow but can make you miss out on creativity.
There is plenty of examples of people who been writing very nice melodies without a background in music theory, so it's far from a prerequisite.

Personally I started studying music theory as very young and don't know how it would be to not know any...but it's hardly rocket science to find some notes that fit together.
If you have the ear and feeling for music you are certainly able to write good melodies without theoretical knowledge, just like there are many people who are good at painting even if they never went to art school, but of course most people with a talent and interest for music will learn theory sooner or later.           (``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
« .....www.ResonantEarth.com..... »
(¸.·`´(¸.·`´(¸.·`´``·.¸)``·.¸)``·.¸)

http://www.myspace.com/spindriftsounds
http://www.myspace.com/resonantearth
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - question to producers and all
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon


Copyright © 1997-2020 IsraTrance