First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Modular synthesis

OzMike
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  148
Posted : Nov 9, 2012 02:21:07
I'm keen to spend some dosh but have not the slightest clue. Basically I can see limitless ability, and it also looks cool from pics I've seen. So far I have lined up a DSI Poly Evolver PE, Moog Voyager & I'm getting a Minibrute for Xmas from my wifey & son.

Tips? Links? How to build? Brands?

Thanks in advance           Cuntus Maximus.
Upavas
Upavas

Started Topics :  150
Posted : Nov 9, 2012 02:25
Talk to Nectarios, he seems to be the number 1 gearslut in here           Upavas - Here And Now (Sangoma Rec.) new EP out Oct.29th, get it here:
http://timecode.bandcamp.com
http://upavas.com
http://soundcloud.com/upavas-1/
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Nov 9, 2012 15:47
Definitely get a Eurorack format as there are an awful lot of modules available for that format from many companies.

Start with a Doepfer case and start filling as you get cash.

The cheapest entry is a eurorack case, a A-190-1 MIDI-to-CV/Gate/Sync Interface and a A-111-5 Synthesizer Voice (which is the Doepfer Dark Energy in module format).

After that, you buy modules according to your taste.           
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Nov 9, 2012 18:29
what he said ^^

you could also get a pittsburgh foundation or a cwejman, or a make noise for examples
it have some pro to buy a full system like these.. with your euro rack case you won t sleep welll till it s not filled , then you will need more...more.. always more

i bought my frXs to expand it with euro rack modules.. i thought i would buy a new filter,vco/lfo shortly but after a few month i just scracthed the surface and havent bought a single modules.. there already a LOT to do with semi modular/full sytem like the one i listed above and you can still expand them if you need it, it may be better solution if you are on tight budget. if not i would go 9u euro rack case and by all the cool modules !
OzMike
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 10, 2012 13:12
Found a good specialty shop here in Australia that deals exclusively with modular synthesis.

Will pay them a visit in the new year to get things rolling           Cuntus Maximus.
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Posted : Nov 10, 2012 13:59
Check this badbwoy VCO out.

Available for Eurorack format.           
OzMike
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 13, 2012 15:35
I'm not a big fan of the Doepfer sound or modules. My first rack will be Pittsburgh stuff, I want to include a bit more than what's on the foundation such as the anologue delay etc.

Second rack I'll then focus on Make Noise & maybe Cwejman.

Also want to get some drum machines & 303 clones.

First rack will be done early next year, then the others I'll build slowly over the rest of the year.

Once I know which modules work well live I'll build a small rig for performance as well so I'll have my big modular system in studio & a smaller performance set up.

I'm selling off some other synths I never use to help fund modular, modular looks so much more fun!           Cuntus Maximus.
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 14, 2012 01:02
make noise is very well regarded company with quality modules, great for what they call west coast sound, it s more the innovative and crazy strange stuff if i m not mystaken, inspired by bushla serge ... with modules with tones of fonction. cwejman
supposed to be great too but expensive, they have some of the fastest precise envelops and some other good modules

Mike check muff forum if you haven t , you will get good advice there if needed , lot of discussion about modules ,modulars,synths ..and audio tools in general ,great forum

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

check also expert sleepers es3, i think i m gonna get one and a make noise dpo when i have some cash in a doepfer low cost case.

Ot but in plugin land aalto i think is the only one that catch a bit of that west cost modular thing, really fun synth great for modular madness sound
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Posted : Nov 22, 2012 22:21
Had the pleasure of finishing up a track on my mate's A-100, recorded through an AMS NEVE 1073 and a Massenburg GML 8200 EQ. Absolutely brilliant sounds. They replaced the old A-121 multimode VCF with the new A-106 VCF. Great sounding analog multimode VCF that overdrives and distorts upwards 40% in great ways and offers lots more filter outputs than the old A-121.

OzMike
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 6, 2013 11:42
Just put a deposit of the Pittsburgh Modular Foundation 2.0 + a few fx/distortion modules to go with it.

I've also put down a deposit on the Doepfer A100 Basic System 2 as well.

I'm sure between the 2 of them I've got years of entertainment ahead of me

After these I'll look at some additional modules to enhance live performance etc.

Woot!           Cuntus Maximus.
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 6, 2013 19:53
nice man congrats, gonna be fun

euro rack is really exploding.
woodster77
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  119
Posted : Jan 6, 2013 20:25
nice to hear..

toyally rate the quality of the oscs and the filter on that system.10/10

seriously warm sound and sweet filter

lucky boy

not sure bout the doepfher, would probably be better to wait until you really know what your looking for,, just my 2 cents bud
OzMike
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jan 8, 2013 23:18
After talking with my dealer in all thing Modular here in Australia my final plan:

Starting with Pittsburgh Foundation 2.0. It's affordable to start & will get me rolling in the right direction.

From here I will slowly build myself a nice Make Noise rack, I have been offered a nice deal on these modules & can buy them one at a time while I play with Foundation.

Finally I have over time been slowly falling in love with The Harvestman for it's quirkiness & I think I'd like to slowly build a collection of most if not all these.

I'm also looking at some stand alone gear, the Dark Energy II & Dark Time Sequencer from Doepfer (it's cheaper than purchasing a modular system) and also the VXXY DCM8 for some chiptunes style stuff on the side.

I do want some 303 type sounds but might kust go inside my laptop with a good soft synth version, the only software other than Abletone I want is Omnisphere.           Cuntus Maximus.
Junk Rhythm

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jan 9, 2013 00:00
Quote:

On 2013-01-08 23:18, OzMike wrote:
After talking with my dealer in all thing Modular here in Australia my final plan:

Is your dealer Cody @ Equinox Oz? If so, great guy!

Quote:

On 2013-01-06 20:25, woodster77 wrote:
not sure bout the doepfher, would probably be better to wait until you really know what your looking for,, just my 2 cents bud

Doepfer makes some quality modules. Sure there are duds but they offer the most bang for your money if buying used. They also have an amazing selection of utilities that others are not offering. Out of the 30U of Eurorack I have, there is at least 6U that is filled with Doepfer. They have a huge selection of different filters which is really nice if trying to capture other flavors. The only modules I won't touch from Doepfer are their VCOs. They don't sit with me all that great and there are tons of other options for VCOs.           Analog/Digital Synth Modules www.toppobrillo.com
Psy/Goa Music www.soundcloud.com/the233project
Random Modular Bits: https://soundcloud.com/junkrhythm
woodster77
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  119
Posted : Jan 9, 2013 01:17
but you wouldnt want a whole system of them
was more my point
i might have picked Ozmike up wrong but!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Equipment - Modular synthesis

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance