Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Insomnia Records : Alien Mental - Mind Hack (Nov. 2007) INO1CD010

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Insomnia Records : Alien Mental - Mind Hack (Nov. 2007) INO1CD010

Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Dec 29, 2007 03:36
INSOMNIA RECORDS : Alien Mental - Mind Hack

Insomnia Records present Mind Hack - "a complex full-length audio-trip by Lalith Rao aka Alien Mental from Chennai - India but now based in San Francisco - USA. Mind Hack is the result of diligent studio work and is one of the most expected debut albums from the blasting California scene which has delivered several talents over the past few years. Alien Mental takes a deep dive into an ocean of trance personal experience. Mind Hack is full of visionary revelations and deep reflection about global karma and the place of a human being in reality.

With his album La has put together an amalgamation of his psychedelic ventures in the land of Woodstock and from across the world. This album comes from his perception and congruency with the Goa Gil party experience and his metamorphosis into a shaman psytrance composer. The main idea of Mind Hack is to open the mind of a listener for the perception of the cosmic spirit and the timeless values which seemed to have been forgotten in the dreadful Kali-Yuga"

Track List:

1. The Initiation
2. Waves of Chaos
3. Drift Within
4. Hallucinogenic Visions
5. Samadhi
6. An Awakening
7. The Ritual
8. Reclaim Your Mind
9. Fresh Perspectives
10. Fully Fluoro
11. End Complete?
12. Into Unity

Lets go through my interpretation of the tracks...

1. Alien Mental - The Initiation The Mind Hack extravaganza is launched by The Initiation - a three minute introduction that sets the mood & ambiance for this album. This can be labeled aptly as the silence before the storm. The track kicks off with brave combinations of angelic & gargantuan atmospheres inching inwards spawning a mysterious, anxious vibe as futuristic computer-like FX beep continually and illuminate the launch pad from which we are about to take-off Tight, flat solo beats create a pedestal & set the stage for this journey accompanied by a Terrance McKenna distorted vocal that has been dissected & tossed around in short frames in the midst of howling, wind-like atmospheres & tones that resemble the chanting done by monks. A nervy bass line saunters in a shy manner as the final countdown to mental elation finally begins ticking.

2. Alien Mental - Waves of Chaos Waves of Chaos is introduced by a minacious voice that lethargically narrates & welcomes the tripper into the story. "Yes, chaos" - goes the sample as it thunders, loops & echoes creating a disturbing feeling that stirs up things a bit The next sample introduced is a bit of a contrast to the previous; as a thoughtful, opinionated sample goes, "Divinity lies within. Don't look to the churches or to the big marveled institutions. Your divinity lies within. You must learn to operate your brain, operate your soul & how to communicate - brain to brain, soul to soul. Your divinity, lies within." Dust begins to unsettle & rise from the ground abruptly as a bass line running at a mere 101 BPM starts to toddle turbulently along the pathways created by abyssal atmospheres Diverse, shredded vocal samples also wind-up in spirals and splatter around the corners, as buoyant leads weave & stretch around serially. Chopped up sounds and FX drench the setting of this audiovisual journey, giving it a thick-wholesome feel. This is where the warm-up halts as sinuous vocal samples unmask such as "Hear your mind", and deep beastly grunts & gargles begin to make you question whether you really want to get into this audio journey? The sample, " Sit back, float, open your eyes, turn off your mind & focus at the waves of chaos roll over your brain. Float, drift, design, create, new order, your order, your style & chaos" is added to mix Excellent sample in my opinion!! From here on there is no looking back; all that is left is a one-way highway to the Other Side with an uncertain future & a doubtful return Massive cryptic atmospheres continue to suck the tripper in like ocean currents & force their way over the track. It is probably these atmospheres that inspired the title of this track. This is a short four minute warm-up of some sort that emphasizes the overall mood & climate of the CD. Waves of Chaos adds a pinch of spice & a sprinkle of color to the Mind Hack figment

3. Alien Mental - Drift Within Up next is Drift Within - one of the tracks i was previously acquainted with through Goa Gil's September 2006 Divine Dozen. The titanic atmospheres heard in Waves of Chaos continue to make their presence felt in this track complimented by a flat, sturdy 148 BPM bass line that knocks tirelessly. By incorporating sounds from the previous track, La has created a sort of frame-work that gives this album structure and creates a link in the story between each track - a trend that i observed throughout this album. The atmospheres from Waves of Chaos are also coupled with a fresh, deep, poetic atmosphere that is pretty sublime; making it easily noticeable. The sample "The time has come, to go out of your mind. Are you ready? To die and be reborn?" introduces the main story-line of this track along with a slight change in the bass line. The samples in this track seem to be stroking all the sensitive chords in your psyche as the sensation of butterflies in your tummy is only real! A dramatic, thespian riff gives way to the next stage of this track - one that sounds fit to introduce the commence of an ethereal tale in a heavenly cosmic amphitheater. The atmospheres in this track ooze and are saturated with suspense, anxiety & a feeling of edginess. Shards of broken glass are seen flying through crimson-golden skies as cracked, slate-like mirrors resonate the listener's reality in the form of intense ardent replicas; like the sight of an art gallery in space with images hanging from topless skies, kindled by the shimmery twinkle of stars, portraying reality in the form of a slide show. I also happened to notice some sounds at this point that are very similar to those used by Polyphonia in Sound Impact on VA - Weapons of Mass Destruction on Maniac Dragon Records A filtered break follows as your mind is thrown into the fountain of knowledge - a swirling world that showcases reality & the rest. The sample, " But first you must be in a state of grace, you must examine yourself, in this mirror of confession" narrates the story of this phase. You stare hard into this colossal mirror, waiting for answers, as a barbarous grunt throws a question at you, "What do you see there?" But not even you have answers. Before long, your back into the flow of the wave and by now things have started becoming extremely weird, as the world you once knew begins to hopelessly dissolve into a mythical tale exposing your 'real self' The track continues to get progressively intense hereon, as samples such as, "No you cant take that on a trip with you" join in riding freely on bubbly FX that create glowing helix's everywhere. Vociferous swooshes and crashes are heard in the distance giving this track more volume and depth. After a short break, the next phase of this track arrives - this is where La rightly demonstrates why he is amongst the top thinkers in this genre. This part had my jaw dropping and tongue sticking out drooling, this is real liquid magic!! A new zone is demonstrated at this point, as the sample, "And then that other side of you, thats dark and conscious...." - tense corresponding atmospheres settle like magic dust on a heated planet, creating a shiny metallic feel as the sounds of fictitious creatures jump around in a symmetric ritual. Goblins, Elves, Pixies & Gnomes... name them and they are all at this event, croaking out gibberish sounds in a periodic fashion From here on the bass line gets a little heavier and tighter as the groove sets in deep. A lazy rusty lead coordinates with other sounds in perfection to my amazement and the alternating levels of intensity in this track are worthy of mention. Screechy slates of glass continue to erode through the atmospheres and short samples continue to come in and narrate short bits of this track The hypnotic voice of a lady is heard in the midst as distorted vocals gradually creep in and get launched into these heavenly star lit skies. A sweet melody-like lead comes in at 4:38 and continues to percolate through other layers perfectly, creating a vibe and color contrast. Layers slowly begin to force their way in through the walls of this track intimidatingly, leading to a complete shocking perceptional orgasm 5:30 marks the start of an aggressive turn as the bass line raises accompanied by an increase in the intensity of the atmospheres. Artful FX work is demonstrated at this point as sounds manifest into crystal vines hanging suspended from enraged skies, muted & paused under effects of timelessness and weightlessness. The final segment of the track begins at around 6:38 as the bass line starts pounding harder until it rapidly slows down in preparation for the next track. By the end of this track i was pretty much stupefied and in a state of utter awe The visions, characters and landscapes created in this track are something that only an experienced mind could possibly conjure. The way in which samples & sounds fraternize in this track is unbelievable; as samples play the role of a "narrator" with sounds playing the "actors role" in an unprecedented display of creativity & symbiosis Before i knew it, i was already in the grind of the next track. All that was left were eternal memories and tiny frame-like glimpses of a world i never knew existed. Simply superb! 8.5/10
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 29, 2007 03:36
4. Alien Mental - Hallucinogenic Visions Lost in time and space on another planet, warm layers gently create a tantalizing effect as you continue drifting away, further and further Repetitive percussion prance around in a simplistic manner till the one minute mark, welcomed by a twisted alien like vocal sample Steady bass line variations at a standard 150 BPM join hands with chirpy FX work and a frosty lead that squeezes its way through the tightest of spaces, giving the track an ambling twist. Computer technology FX at high frequencies continually beep around, making you feel as though your a part of some sort of space mission.. After a short break the bass line gets deeper and rumbles for a short while until La fabricates his magic yet again... I was dumbfounded, caught in the gaudy skies of Never Land - an area governed by the laws of psychedelia - being preached by alien entities Panoramic neon blue empyrean trains shot past me, leaving traces of their tails in the form of phantasmal echoes.. This same atmosphere was something i also heard in the track Alitia by Orestis vs. Stranger on Discovalley Records VA : Chaporas Tribal Dance and also in Shimmer Dose by Atriohm on Parvati Records VA: No Time No Space. Sharp leads buzz around the atmosphere and frolic in a sleek manner as the echoes of the neon trains still linger subtly. The track continues to flow steadily along with little melodic sounds, taking you into the depths of your own psyche, still unable to comprehend the situation.. Just like a tabula rasa absorbing momentary visions and losing them. The track continues to meander with the melodic leads for a good 30 seconds...felt this short stretch was a bit boring, as the melodic leads were overused & banal in my opinion...an additional layer would have done this part good i feel. Next, a leveled pad idles around in the distance as basic, nifty percussion work gives this track some much needed groove Smooth atmospheres create a tunnel like aura as lazer FX flash around in perpetuum. From 3:20 onwards, visual perception stimulation is highlighted by loopy sounds that are emitted in close succession. I found the main lead playing during these parts to be a little monotonous and dry as well, this part of the track would probably be a lot more appetizing and easily digestible if the lead sound had more charisma, since it doesn't really sound like anything "different" as i would have hoped for. It also has a monotonous pattern & sequence over the course of the next minute and half or so.. Without warning a break appears at 4:37 with the first sample of the track being introduced, "The music does lead deeper into these visionary states", followed by thrashing beats, phonic sounds and irregular breaks and bass line twists. Slightly forest-like atmospheres are amplified sporadically along with thrilling mosaic like pad work. Very nice! Atmospheres from here on get deeper and more mysterious along with intense lead work. Another sample crops up at 6:00, followed by a lengthy break that echoes the sample, "Hallucinations", this is one of the highly overused samples in the psytrance genre, i even remember it being used in one of the old Raja Ram Stash Bag (2003 i think) series introduction tracks However the sample is a lot better used in Hallucinogenic Visions, since it shows signs of congruency with the rest of the samples and ultimately showcases some meaning... The track begins to get into its heightened stage after this break as exquisite atmospheres insinuate and are omitted by unworldly objects in the background. A nice track overall that had some celestial moments to be remembered, but lacking multifarious content during its middle stages in my opinion..A bit more diversity in the sounds and patterns created by the leads & FX could have made this track work wonders.. Some moments in this track were breath-taking nonetheless.. 7.5/10

5. Alien Mental - Samadhi Samadhi happens to be the favorite track on the CD for a couple of people i know who heard this album Samadhi rocks steady at 150 BPM. The first thing one notices is the Indian feel of this track - courtesy of the percussion using an Indian instrument known as the Tabla Sniping eagles swoop down from inspiring twilight skies as mammoth atmospheres devour the track in its entirety. The occasional bass line variation is heard as neoteric atmospheres give this track an ethnic vibe. Percussion work begins to gradually get more intense, as quick blunt vocal gasps appear & disappear in quick succession. On paying careful attention, one can observe the continuous flow of a distorted sample in the skeleton of this track, as squeaky leads whine in a cranky manner. The first long break in this track is audible at 1:47, followed by an increase in energy due to varied bass line arrangements and a scrumptious lead that darts around to form glossy triangles between the other sound arrangements. Once again in this track i found an extension of beats that felt extremely repetitive - the whole patch between 2:42 to 3:20 just felt like the track was dragging on helplessly...probably due to the main lead's constant invariance. From 3:20 onwards Samadhi gets a lot more psychedelic as a plethora of FX are sprayed all over the track in a distempered manner. Crafty percussion is heard from 3:33 onwards, as the bass line variations start getting extremely tricky and flirtatious. Samadhi is probably the first completely dance-floor oriented track on this CD. To put the whole vibe into a nutshell, i can pretty much say a controlled frenzy is being conjured at this point as bass line shifts get tenacious & constricted. Abrasive, electric leads kibitz around as foxy pads are seen camouflaged with metallic landscapes and shrill soundscapes. The track continues to dawdle in a waxy, lubricious manner as Lalith flaunts more of his magical insights and visions in areas such as at 4:25 - its hard to describe parts like these because the ideas are extremely creative & original, and i think its better i leave them alone A longish break appears at 4:32 with a sample that mutters, " And this is what is often near death experience, i finally experienced it... High doses of LSD & profounded practices..." Lost in the insanity of the neuron forest inside your mind, your tangled deeply in a state of hypnosis as you perform the dance macabre, cautiously side stepping & maneuvering FX, etching out a path between reality & fantasy The track takes a new appearance at 5:06 as bass lines stretch wider and create seamed rips.. Hard, metallic percussion also pummels around as sharp sounds amalgamate in thorough ataxia as a serrated pad glides coarsely through sizzling atmospheres. Peppy melodies circle around the track from the 6:00 minute mark delivering a total contrast to the rest of the sounds The overall feel is a lot more uplifting and the sounds begin to get more concentrated & perceptibly intense. The track's apex phase drops anchor after a stretch of glitchy breaks and beats that give way to a psychedelic playground with harmonic sounds aggregating & concocting into an intense outburst of riotous hysteria...This is something around the intensity of a shark feeding frenzy I couldn't help but think of the Osom (Psykovsky + Kindzadza) project when i heard this part, the whole vibe and manner in which sounds align makes me believe that La is pretty influenced by the Osom sound. The sample, "And this is what is often near death experience, i finally experienced it... High doses of LSD & profounded practices..." surfaces for the second time, as the track comes to a disrupting standstill. A track that might be handy in giving the mind a push to finally drift away into the next dimension, Samadhi would definitely have a positive effect on groovy, energetic dance floors. However, the sounds used in this track were not particularly my cup of tea... My enjoyment was limited to only a few aspects of this track other than the bass line variations and the odd short surprise moments... This track lost some points in my books because of a lack of something "unique" enough. 7/10

6. Alien Mental - An Awakening The concept behind Mind Hack is tremendously influenced and shaped by the Goa Gil party experience. An Awakening is a short composition whose aim was to pay tribute to Goa Gil himself. This two minute odd stroll is initiated by a fuzzy ambiance and twisted sounds that create planned messes. The sample goes, "Come on, remember the prayers..You are the Buddha...Your 2 billion years old...Come on you know they are traveling" is spoken out. African tribal-like percussion starts to slowly amble tirelessly creating a rhythm and narcotized feeling. A deep, insightful hologram-like voice resonates, sounding something like a digital speaker underwater. Mysterious voices are heard all around, as a short extract of Gil's concept is portrayed. Gil is heard saying, "I think my concept can fit with every culture because it draws inspiration and direction from a time of humanity when no matter where you went, people were in touch with the earth and the spirits of nature, the sun and the moon and all the elements, and so we are delving to the same place and trying to bring the same thing forth but with the technology of the 21st century and in a way to appeal to the youth of the 21st century. So i think it fits." During the length of this sample the hypnotic percussion gradually begins to soften as it is swept over by the rift of a flute. An Awakening is also another track that gives this album a twist, accentuating its concept and adding flavor. Tracks like these cement the other tracks on this CD together, giving the listener initiative to experience the whole album at one go - as one long voyage.
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 29, 2007 03:38
7. Alien Mental - The Ritual Then comes the real deal - The Ritual... Opened by a short bout of percussion & an altered sample of Goa Gil - "Im using the music & DJ situation...." This 150 BPM bass line leisurely bobs around as minimal wooden percussion is heard clicking gracefully. Slothful atmospheres gradually unwrap, as sharp FX work starts to create intricate patterns & designs. A subdued phase is heard as sounds are quietened with accentuation being laid on percussion. The tribalish percussion heard in the previous track make a reappearance as short bursts of strong kick bass propels the dancer forward. By now the percussion has a mesmerizing effect due to its hypnotic nature, creating the feeling of embarking on a mystical adventure into a place unknown. The trail lag of Gil's voice sample is still heard ambling, shadowed by vapor and mist. The feeling of excitement only found in adventure begins to grow with an increase in the pitch of the tribal percussion. Wow, this percussion really seems to be getting the better of me, a spell like effect, that drags you into the depths of the track without a choice. The flow in this track is brilliant, and the way in which the range of sounds compliment each other is remarkable. And finally we are convinced that this is indeed a journey we are departing on, as Dr.Albert Hoffman's (i think) voice shudders in his trademark manner, "But its a journey to whatever one's own life has to offer". This is when the track really begins to get sweaty as a tight bass line with wicked variations move you like a puppet as scorching leads pull the strings of your puppet like limbs these leads are literally visible Deep atmospheres ride the hinds of this track as a warm synth trickles in cunningly. A paranoid lead begins to emerge from the depths of the ground, occupying more and more territory like how a virus would infect its host. Behemoth sound waves breathe weight over the track at 3:48 followed by an impatient bass line thats waiting to go off like a ticking time bomb. Divine atmospheres sail like ghostly ships crossing vast deep blue oceans as lengthy monk-like chanting atmospheres introduce the next zone in this track. After an unexpected crash, the sample is heard "Mind opening experience." This is followed by a restless bass line and twirly acid saturated leads that i totally This track defines journey music, the story is unbelievable and the arrangement of atmospheres is noteworthy. The track continues to flow to perfection as leviathan atmospheres rise like ancient structures through dust at 5:14 & 5:23... I noticed something interesting at 5:16 when a sudden surge in voltage popped up with the bass line getting a little agitated as though something demented was on its way.... And voila! Here we go... 5:30 marks the start of a journey through the webs of insanity and derangement. An area where the laws of chaos reign supreme... i love the whole madness at 5:31...you can be reassured it will toss you, turn you upside down, inside out like a milkshake. And as though that lunatic bass line variation wasn't enough, a retarded tube like lead begins to drop the guillotine on the dancer in the most psycho manner ever hehehe!! Swirling tornado like atmospheres also play a key role in converting this from a madhouse to a flipped out lunatic asylum. Good luck to anyone who experiences this track at the right time This is the kind of music that has me begging for mercy on the dance floor... brutal & relentless. After a glitchy break the bass line comes back in a charming- seducing manner, luring the dancer deeper and deeper into the cosmic vortex. By now you've lost your identity, the past is of no significance and your lost in a galaxy with no rules & no borders...you go where your taken...anything is possible... An agglomeration of sounds and tweaks jump around uncontrollably from here on, as the bass line gets deeper and dirtier by the beat. Another muffled vocal sample of Goa Gil is heard, as crafty combinations of FX and leads create catastrophe on the dance floor. Silicon atmospheres creep in softly at 7:06 as leads continue creating panic. A short waterfall trickles out a stream of indigo opals at 7:13 make this track one hell of a beauty! These angelic melodies remind me of sounds used by Psykovsky in Indigo Child & in Osom - Compos Mentis. I can already notice the story of this CD beginning to take a slight turn towards light. The Ritual continues to zig zag until a boy's vocal sample goes bonkers - twisted into a smudge of sounds. This is clearly one of the contenders for the crown on this wild CD. The bomb just dropped 8.5/10

8. Alien Mental - Reclaim Your Mind Reclaim Your Mind is given its title for a reason. It happens to be the track which displays the first notable change in the vibe of the sounds used in this album. Reclaim Your Mind pushes the BPM higher by 2 notches to 152 BPM. The bass line is brutal & pulverizing with a bulky feel to it. A snippet of the melodies heard during the latter parts of The Ritual becomes audible but vanishes hurriedly. Beastly suffocated moaning is heard as a short atmosphere at 0:08. The bass line suddenly gets a short burst of energy as a markable aggression rise is heard. We are back in sleek grind mode by 0:24 due to the catchy variations. Mellow whistle like pads howl amiably at the edges of the track's radius as uplifting luminous leads inch in a scuffing manner. After a quick break down, a bass line appears that feels a lot cleaner due to the rapid drop in the sounds...Percussion resembling the clattering of spoons on a metallic surface appear adroitly creating complicated stencils. Then comes one of the major turning points in this album... a ray a of light...a breath of hope as the track begins to display its brighter side. An ambrosial mass highlands in the distant horizon, over the brink of the eternal & infinite as deep spiritual chant like vocal atmospheres resurrect. A slightly lengthy break appears at 1:26 with a file of crackling leads creating a semi circular path. The unfathomable dialect of an ogre like creature is heard gossiping, accompanied by corrosive hard-hitting percussion and a deep but faint atmosphere. Synthetic melodies drift in like seahorses shadowed by a huge harmless submarine like figure that peacefully floats over without a care in the world. Glitchy, rubber like leads make attempts to surface along with tiny chirpy melodies. The bass line rumbling is extremely addictive and rolling. The next chapter of this audio journey is inducted by a very amusing sample that goes - "...Is for you and your friends and your associations...your orgasms..." hehe nice It is easy to notice at this point the way in which the vibe of the Mind Hack concept has begun to change; transitioning from a set of serious reflective samples to the lighter side of things such as in this track. The bass line comes back with heroic vengeance, filled to the brim with temperament and attitude... Brief simplistic breaks are heard which make so much of a difference in making Reclaim Your Mind more dance floor friendly. In the part that follows, things begin to get all hazy, shimmering and overwhelming as mythical pads and tense FX branch out like trees into the arcane atmospheres possessed by this track. A sample that sounds like "come on" creates repeated mirror images, transporting the dancer into the core depths of the vortex. The bass line starts to get less rolly and metamorphs into a fretful state. A piercing queasy lead invites itself to this party at 3:24 and begins to flow continuously as a base sound. And then comes the sample that everyone is talking about - "Reclaim your mind." This sample loops over & over creating a pressurizing effect making it hard to ignore. The same sample continues to take center stage as it twists, turns and varies in pitch and tempo, bobbing around in a teasing manner. A paranoid lead begins to cry like a fire alarm, creating a jittery, stressful atmosphere as scheming FX work flies around with precision and agility...very cool indeed The same blissful atmosphere heard earlier in this track elevates again at 4:18 as the bass line continues to skip around in a broken manner. At 4:50 the sample "reclaim your mind" begins to spin uncontrollably, until it is overcome by a deep, monstrous vocal - "Reclaim your mind." A shrill layer is heard flowing along the course of the track, creating a sort of rising effect. 5:14 marks the start of the waltz by an obnoxious protruding lead that i totally love Very nasty indeed After a quick break, the track is back in its twisted flow, as delicate melodies mingle craftily with one another. A sudden discharge of energy is heard at 5:46 as the percussion gets louder and tighter, along with the variations getting stretchy and bouncy. This is great music to shake your backside under the A very significant track in the story of this CD. Those of you who heard this CD at one go will surely know what i am talking about. A neat track, i like it ! 7.5/10

Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 29, 2007 03:39
9. Alien Mental - Fresh Perspectives Fresh Perspectives marks the start of a new style in this album... A new outlook at the world, and a new outlook at the sounds and journey :headset: Introduced by an Albert Hoffman sample from either the documentary - Doors of Perception or Beyond the Within (by BBC), the sample goes, "...I got in a very strange...a kind of dream world appeared... and the feeling of oneness...world..." A lengthy row of downcast beats flow as they enable all the other weird sounds soaring & flying around in the atmosphere to be recognized clearly. The combination of atmospheres and sounds create a sort of long sighted tunnel vision. This track displays a constant change in the BPM throughout the track - something that is trade mark Alien Mental right from Pot Politics (Rmx) on the Brainbusters - Loony Tunes compilation earlier this year. The track has a very dance able bass line that begins to run at 153 BPM as variations are mischievous and rolly in their flow. Atmospheres in this track are warm and inviting, just like floating aimlessly in a stream of water. Sticky FX work begins to climb the ladders of this track and splatters smoothly as sharp, ear-piercing sounds shoot like slow motioned sound beams. After a short break at 1:40 the bass line reappears with buffered, balloon like variations & uplifting samples such as, "Roger that" and so on Cacophonous leads are also arranged with complexity & precision, combining in lock & key formations with sticky FX work and secondary leads. I am almost very sure that Lalith is also influenced by Furious; as characteristic minimal Furious percussion work & arrangements are heard between 1:55 and 2:03. The next break is shown at 2:24 with a mysterious, fictitious feel to it as a thick blob of bass parks itself in middle of the dancers path. The bass line that follows is taut and chubby and is escorted by a thick lasso like lead which knots tightly with the track as good stereo work is demonstrated here I also noticed the bass line at this point is 150 BPM as opposed to the 153 BPM it started rumbling at. Encroaching lackadaisically is a deep atmosphere that begins to swell up until it eventually infiltrates all the dimensions of this track wholly. A befuddling break takes shape at 2:48 as a conglomeration of sounds diffuse across the surfaces of the track creating a state of confusion and anxiety. An incomprehensible vocal sample appears at 3:10 as a solaced lead raises spirits by adding a splash of light & color to the track. This cheery melody plays around in a simplistic pattern for a while & floats around with ease, slipping & sliding through the smallest of crevices in the track. After the half way mark in this track, the bass line begins to get more frantic & hawkish because of clasped, jittery bass line variations & the steady presence of a far reaching, soft pad. Long breaks, and sounds of accelerating, uprising leads provide this track with a sense of direction, motion & flow. From hereon the bass line increases in tempo by 2 BPM to 152 BPM. Bubbly FX work is seen manifesting into vesicles and shooting off in random directions at 4:10, nice one, i like this sound Swift leads dive head first freely in a hasty manner as another secondary abrasive lead vibrates in response to the previous lead at 4:43 onwards - also love the sound of this lead; has plenty of caliber. After a diminished respite a smooth sailing bass line begins to dribble as violin like atmospheres cruise around gently at the periphery of this track Fresh Perspectives continues to flow in tune with deep chant like atmospheres at 5:34 as bass lines become unpredictable, and sounds hustle around haphazardly creating a cluster of psychedelic FX and sounds. A glitchy break appears at 5:54 followed by a minimalistic phase with playful bass line variations & warm pads. Gentle bell like sounds also add to the ambiance of this track until the track comes to a disturbing halt after a short phase of experimentation between sounds & patterns The track ends with a sample, "But they are afraid that there is more to reality than they have entrusted." A decent track in my opinion, nothing spectacular... A good flow & selection of sounds is demonstrated in Fresh Perspectives, but not really something that made me overly excited. Did anyone else feel this track felt slightly out of place on this CD? Not sure why i did 7/10

10. Alien Mental - Fully Fluoro Fully Fluoro is when things start getting very wacky and wild. This track is the fastest this CD has to offer as it roars at a hefty 156 BPM. It also happens to be a track that has a touch of Alien Mental's trademark BPM variation; ranging from 156 BPM to 152 BPM during the lag end of this track. The bass line of Fully Fluoro gives me the sensation of being strapped to a gas-filled hot air balloon thats rotating without control at terminal velocity over irregular terrain This indeed is very intense music, and i am sure it would be quite a challenge to dance to a tune such as this on the dance floor. The early stages of this track are rather minimal in terms of the multitude of sounds being displayed since its basically 2-3 main FX sounds and a single lead that i was able to notice clearly. Its pretty obvious that the content in this track lies in its massive bass line that detonates and destructs everything in its path during its course of motion. A tense layer is heard gradually increasing in pitch as the track begins to get varied after a break at the 0:40 mark. This 156 BPM monster swerves and deviates in a maniacal manner as simple metallic percussion is also heard clapping in the background. The track shows signs of becoming progressively intense as layers begin to conjoin slowly but surely until a break filled with an Albert Hoffman sample appears at 1:22. After the break the first atmosphere is introduced in this track - one that sounds confident & harsh, but yet creating a feeling of mystery and the 'unknown.' Sharp sounding FX at high frequencies are also heard infiltrating the volumes of this track as this huge rubbery mass continues spinning and circling, pouring and spewing out aggression and attitude The Albert Hoffman sample heard earlier continues to flow but is a bit hard to understand because it has been distorted and pitched. I think short, simple breaks have been used ideally in the flow of this track to make it more dance floor affable and to make it more DJ friendly. The break at 2:03 shows some great innovation as the track moves into unchartered territory. This is some serious off-road music as the track flows through a windy-swirling filter, initiated by the sound of a bell Sounds of shooting race cars fly past in criss-cross formations through dirty, guzzling atmospheres that make their presence felt periodically. Sounds continue to adjoin haphazardly as a twister like feeling of confusion & chaos is created. After this rather lengthy break the bass line takes shape yet again as more and more layers are heard creeping in after every set of 8 beats. The bass line is heard diverging from its original mold at 3:10 as it takes a rolly, flowy appearance which was probably aimed at creating madness on the dance floor - smiling faces guaranteed A break appears from no where with a very nice sample by Terrance McKenna sample that goes, "We have to stop consuming our culture. We have to create culture. Don't watch TV, don't read magazines. Create your own roadshow." The bass line that meets this sample is different in the sense it bobs up and down, creating a feeling of elevating higher and higher due to its broken dance able nature. A sharp, abrasive lead is heard cutting through the various sounds in a hard-edged manner as a myriad of FX continue to pollute this fat audio journey. At 4:35 the sample heard earlier re-appears as it goes, "Don't watch TV. Don't read magazines. Create." The word create loops and mingles beautifully with a smooth bass line that has dropped to 152 BPM and shows impeccable flow and drive. The number of various FX drop drastically as emphasis is laid on 2 main leads that take turns at crafting their way through the track and back inside. The same atmospheres heard earlier in this track continue to come in along with the addition of another smooth, sailing atmosphere that comes in twice. This is fantastic journey music in my opinion and the final stage of this track only gets better! :moveaway: After a short break at 5:40 the track moves into top gear as an addictive bass line growls through the air like an enraged twister ripping through a city. Wow this is completely chaotic! I really dug this track. I have seen a video of Goa Gil playing this track in California and the crowd was literally going berserk on the dance floor 8/10

Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 29, 2007 03:40
11. Alien Mental - End Complete? Just in case you were hoping for some respite at this point, you will be disappointed Alien Mental decides to do some heavy duty damage, and damage sure it does End Complete is a 150 BPM screamer that got my heart pumping so fast that i feared it would quit at any moment. The track has a rather lengthy one and a half minute introduction with the Looney Tunes sample introducing the track along with an unobtrusive bass line that placidly wanders softly as a sample goes, "The most fashionable method recently...you get into a pretty deep meditative state." A gentle current of air brings in the soft, harmonious tone of a flute that was previously heard in An Awakening The track takes its own dear time as it luxuriously unwinds over the next minute along with the appearance of uplifting, angelic atmospheres that give the track a sort of natural "high." The track is tight, and well produced as a feisty bass line that skips with frequent deflections and fury - coils and uncoils like a spinning top. Soft melodic pads, cartoon-like sounds and atmospheres are heard alternating & soaring through the distance as synthetic layers and nutty samples loop and snake through the complexities of this track. The bass line of End Complete has a stiff, compressed feel to it which is beautifully complimented by a glut of various sounds that do the disco tediously, showing fabulous control and compatibility with one another A myriad of sounds are heard inter-twining and ramifying into the surroundings of this track as ethnic percussion work is heard tapping heedfully; coordinating with the other sounds in this track impeccably This track displays the funnier shades of Alien Mental as it displays an army of twisted, cartoon-like vocal samples that pepper the volumes of this track. I am sure every person reading this right now has at some point or the other noticed a certain track at a party that even gets the shyest, most aloof dancers on the floor getting a bit over excited and doing an extra heavy dance floor wiggle that is even embarrassing to watch hehe! And what follows the break at 2:27 illustrates my point beautifully. The bass line that kicks in would have had me hooting and wailing on the dance floor without showing any signs of sensitivity towards anyone around me haha. The variations and percussion that accompany this frenetic bass line make me want to rip my heart out and every one else's around me too! Oh my oh my, brilliant! And you can be sure that you would see all the wannabes standing around in a single line right bordering the edges of the dance floor and making excruciating faces and pumping their fists to glory as well hehe! This whole short stretch drips and oozes with energy and stamina, great work! The bass line continues to destruct everything in its path as it shows no signs of stopping. Variations get a little more uplifting from 2:57 along with percussion work heard earlier until a gut wrenching compressed bass line soaked in attitude begins to travail in the nastiest manner possible Totally loving it! After a slightly lengthy break the bass line returns. This time more subdued and less aggressive along with a pitched up sample that reverbs, "Psychological." A dazzling, radial atmosphere also rises and marks the start of the next phase of this track. From here on the following 2 minutes of this track is nothing less than a mind fuck and completely baffled me and caught me off-guard Smooth, mellow atmospheres sweep in softly, as emphasis is laid on FX and other sounds. A multitude of distorted samples and intricate sounds spread all over the track creating a dream-like slumber as you float unstably through a 'gray area' - not here not there. This is a rather short track but sure as hell impressive! In 6 minutes a plethora of moods and stages are demonstrated, as innovation at its best is audible. One of my favorite tracks on this CD for sure and i would love to hear tracks like this one being used to guide people at parties. Niiice! 8.5/10

12. Alien Mental - Into Unity And like every other good thing in life, Mind Hack also comes to an end...But don't be too disappointed, it looks like Lalith wanted to say goodbye in style. A mighty 152 BPM power bass line begins to thunder indomitably & somewhat reminds me off the bass line used by Kindzadza in Sweet Dreams on Tantrumm Records VA - Freshly Squeezed. Blunt, foggy atmospheres give you the feeling of spiraling through a vacuum filled vortex in a violent manner as the deep moan-like atmospheres heard in The Ritual also make an appearance in this track. At 0:45 there is a slight raise in the bass line as incomprehensible, gibberish vocal samples are heard occupying the breaks - similar to those heard in Drift Within Sharp FX work tweaks around meticulously as sudden crashes are heard along with refreshing atmospheres that come in fluidly at 1:10. Tin-can like percussion work creates rudimentary patterns as the track continuous to flow strong & frictionless despite blustering weather conditions. A longish break appears at 1:56, as cat-like growls shoot through spacey atmospheres like sharp blades By now, your surfing dangerously on floating bass accompanied by a surplus of FX & an obscure male vocal. In a state of total daze, you continue to drift upward through sparkling, golden elevators in space as heavenly, blissful atmospheres sweep in gently at 2:25. I remember the exact same atmosphere used by Lalith in Life Force (Rmx) on Tantrumm Records VA - Tempus Viator towards the end of 2006. And i certainly don't blame him for using it again...A very nice atmosphere in my opinion, really like it This whole phase we are experiencing is the transition from stage 1 in this track to stage 2. Stage two is under commence with an impulsive bass line that suddenly propels you further into space at 2:38 as atmospheres heard earlier drift in softly and create imposing yellow halos in the limitless space above you Phase 2 is well under way by now, as the track gets flowy as a sample squeaks in the backgrounds of deep, beast-like atmospheres that were heard earlier in this track. The bass line varies moderately as thin sheet like atmospheres are lofted past you from all ends. A sharp lead continually quavers as magical currents of sheen dust diffuse through the atmospheres subtly. Short, altered samples are introduced periodically until your thrown back into a whirlpool like vortex at 3:43...total confusion is all that prevails as your sucked deeper & deeper into space. Deep, chant-like pads are also heard as a sunk male vocal loops, "Beyond." The bass breaks out restlessly yet again along with weird sounds & lines oscillating and being resonated in tight, planned arrangements. Bursts of short phonic melodies are heard in areas such as 4:53 as impressive, chattering percussion work is displayed. At 5:17 the bass line gets beefy as it stubbornly rambles harder & harder. Short contrasting melodies are also heard beeping in a display of notable stereo work as sharp, windy atmospheres glide swiftly through the air like fluorescent green kites The bass line continues to flow untiringly with sharp saw-like leads cutting through the layers of this track abrasively along with the addition of a soothing melody and a final set of concurrent crashes & bangs. 6:28 marks the start of something that would make me stop dancing, and take a look around to really wonder what the hell is going on the two minutes that follow from here are one hell of an outro... disturbing & skull-splitting Thick chunks of bass grind around hypnotically through a flange affect as a deep & dirty, catchy bass line pounds with dynamism & ethos...Oooh yeah i love this! Extremely addictive outro.... From here on you continually get sucked further into the diminishing vortex that hesitantly liquefies into nothing more than a drop of silence. This is just another example that gives other artists the message that it doesn't really hurt to have a well thought out, creative outro. A very good track that does a fantastic job at closing curtains for this brilliant album. Impressive work 8.5/10

Final comment:

A very well made, meaningful album by Alien Mental displaying quality production & careful thought. Every track has a purpose and its own little niche in making this CD as special as it is. I know DJ's who have played every track on this album, with a stunning dance-floor response Insomnia Records yet again proves why they are a few cuts above the rest in this genre of music. There are some people who will find the sounds in this album a bit hard to digest, but i Love them This is an album with an abundance of intricacies and hence requires a handful of listens to get a peek at the real magic that lies wrapped up amongst all the details. It makes me very happy to see that there is no 170-200 BPM crap on this CD - just my opinion Top notch artist, #1 label without doubt Good going La & as usual big ups Mr. Becar Definitely a CD worth having in your case

Overall Score : 8/10

Thank you for the quality music!!

BooM

This CD can be purchased at :

http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6925

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ino/ino1cd010.html

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=3833

http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=JNLGAKEIFDOD?showDetail=177701
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Dec 29, 2007 04:34
Superb review rajat, i know you did a PHD on this album, good one again

I haven't heard too much of california sounds besides quasar, but i tell you this album is a great buy, very nice compositions and ohh the cover is soo funny hehehe

Anyways my favourites are drift within, samadhi and hallucigonic visions... even reclaim your life was a decent one.

Good music by insomnia yet again and alien mental too.

boom shiva            “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
Pustelga

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 29, 2007 06:23
I gave your review a solid reading. I actually read every word of it and I've figured it out. Its all flowery prose and philosophical words strung together to make it sound Epic and Kosher. Its like a poet reviewing a Picasso without knowing anything about brushstrokes or paint mediums. Anyways, atleast you do a good job of the prose. I have no opinion on the album
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 29, 2007 06:32
hehe thank you dear Pustelga. I admire your honesty and your wit is impressive It looks like we still have some tension going on since the Parvati thread don't we I respect your opinion and its all good because no one needs to be impressed.

BooM
Pustelga

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 29, 2007 06:46
Cheers bro. As long as you don't think I'm label bashing again If you respected anybody else's opinion other than your own you wouldn't have caused unecessary trouble.
Anyways happy new year.
mk47
Inactive User

Started Topics :  118
Posted : Dec 29, 2007 10:02
sorry but this just didn't do it for me .. i was expecting this one to be more groovy ,quirky , funky , intelligent and filled with surprises .. much in the same vein as some of the other bay area producers .. mubali , fractal cowboys , ocelot .. etc ..but it wasn't to be .. big let down .. oh , and the cover is terrible .. a nice review for a very ordinary album .

take care
SHICHT
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Dec 30, 2007 18:59
i dont have the time now to read the entire thing but i wanted to thank u for this one !
i will read soon and respone !
bolenattt

***follow the old faith and stay high***
Ankur
Ankur / Virgin Suicide

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Dec 30, 2007 22:21
for me with la´s sound it gos like for the most realy deep and good stuff, it took me to get in to it....
first i heard him in august in a small party around berlin and i didnt liked it mush (looking back to then i understand i wasnt tripping enough and wasnt in the right mood:P)
then just a few days later i had the chance to hear a set again in forgotten ritual( almost same build then the album) and there i finally understood it for myself.
i was expecting a more dancy album more groove orientated, but this is deep shit, more food for the brain then for the legs.....
it is like the artist name says: mental shit!! and while i was dancing to it i also understood the alien part of the name, the leads are very square robotic in a way and while dancing to it and seeing the ppl around me dancing to it i had the impressions of aliens, like machines moving in there square patterns all around me...
to the story of the album: i like how its flows from one track to the other and tells a continues story, i can for my self clearly see a concept, what i do enjoy alot in a artist album, its not just 10 nice tracks, is more like a 70 min track wich keeps changing and never gets boring.
the production is top level, clean as it should be with nicely variating tricks.
la clearly gives more intention to the sounds then to kick, bass and percussions what i like coz its gives more place for atmospheres to develop.

all in over a killa album!!

Freqs of Nature Festival 2012
http://freqsofnature.de
Lost Theory Label DJ
http://www.losttheoryrecords.com/
Galaxian
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Dec 31, 2007 04:55
worst possible way of mind destruction...           VA - Momentum vol.1 - Compiled by PhaseTech
www.ektoplazm.com
www.tesseractstudio.org
www.myspace.com/phasetech
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Jan 1, 2008 21:24
Well.. I really enjoyed the whole concept of this album. I saw and know how many hours of work went into this piece of art. mental nearly broke his hand working on this.
For those who didn't lyke it, hear again maybe you see how psychedelic La's music is

kudos to the Alien Mental project and insomnia records, For me this was the most ballistic solo album of 2007 A.d.

Keep it underground!
SHICHT
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Jan 2, 2008 00:54
Quote:

On 2007-12-30 22:21, Ankur wrote:
for me with la´s sound it gos like for the most realy deep and good stuff, it took me to get in to it....
first i heard him in august in a small party around berlin and i didnt liked it mush (looking back to then i understand i wasnt tripping enough and wasnt in the right mood:P)
then just a few days later i had the chance to hear a set again in forgotten ritual( almost same build then the album) and there i finally understood it for myself.
i was expecting a more dancy album more groove orientated, but this is deep shit, more food for the brain then for the legs.....
it is like the artist name says: mental shit!! and while i was dancing to it i also understood the alien part of the name, the leads are very square robotic in a way and while dancing to it and seeing the ppl around me dancing to it i had the impressions of aliens, like machines moving in there square patterns all around me...
to the story of the album: i like how its flows from one track to the other and tells a continues story, i can for my self clearly see a concept, what i do enjoy alot in a artist album, its not just 10 nice tracks, is more like a 70 min track wich keeps changing and never gets boring.
the production is top level, clean as it should be with nicely variating tricks.
la clearly gives more intention to the sounds then to kick, bass and percussions what i like coz its gives more place for atmospheres to develop.

all in over a killa album!!

pfff,,,
ankur u stole my words !!!
i also listen to his CRAZYYY set in fogotten ritual was something really intance !
the cd comin to me in wavs , i listent to it and didnt undetstand.. but now i was on the train today i listeb to the all cd and finally it got to me !
pffffff
ppl the all thing just open my mind amazing work ...
i hear it again on the way back on the train and just crazyy ...
power sound with lots of psychedelic beats coming in my brain..
i love the massage i love the concept ...
amazaing work by la ! im so happy i bought the original copy !
so best of luck la
amazing amazing and again amazing !
i will need to smoke a HUGE joint and listen to it from start to end
and this i do tomorrow !

big bom !

***follow the old faith and stay high***
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Insomnia Records : Alien Mental - Mind Hack (Nov. 2007) INO1CD010

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance