Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - FREq – Strange Attractors (Iboga 2004)

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

FREq – Strange Attractors (Iboga 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 6, 2004 04:28
Artist: FREq
Title: Strange Attractors
Label: Iboga
Format: CD (Jewelcase)
Released: May 2004
Cover: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/images/large/FREq%20-%20Strange%20attractors%20(CD).jpg

Review:

The New Zealander FREq (now living in Australia) has been making music for many years, but it wasn't until 2002 he got noticed on the progressive psytrance scene with the track “Wasp”, released on the Australian label Exotic Native. After yet another track released on Exotic Native, “Monochrome”, he got signed on some of the most influential progressive labels around; Plusquam and Iboga from the cold Northern Europe. A few more releases later, his 2nd album (but the first progressive psytrance), “Strange Attractors”, is now released on the Danish label Iboga – an album with 8 previously unreleased tracks, and one, “Return To The Masters”, previously released on the compilation “Puzzled”.

I personally fell in love with his style with “Wasp” and the very similar track “Monochrome”, but if you can talk about his biggest hit it must be “Short Life Again”, which has been played at many parties, and brought him to attention to a lot of party-goers – at least here in Denmark. His style is progressive trance, extremely well produced and with a deep and rich sound and amazing atmosphere. Still, I think he manage to maintain some of the psychedelic elements that a lot of people seem to miss with today’s progressive trance.

The design on “Strange Attractors” is really nice, and made by Hinge Design, who also made the covers for albums by Antix and the latest from Oryx and Hux Flux to name a few. As a positive surprise there’s also a very informative booklet with background information about FREq and a few party-pictures. This is unfortunately only something to be found in very few of the newer releases, so every time it deserves a thumbs up - but let’s move on to the most important part, the music:

1. Carbon-based lifeform
Starting the album is a sweet little progressive tune with beautiful choir-voices in the background. The big, massive FREq-trademark bassline isn’t here yet, but instead we get a nice little groover with small teasing melodies. Good for warming up, and an excellent start to the album.

2. Dreambody (Progressive Mix)
This one is more of a typical FREq-track than the opener. It has a crisp little sample saying “Dreambody”, and some really nice sounds, which reminds me of “I’ve Been Sent” from the latest Plusquam-compilation. After 2½ minute the track really kicks of with a pumping, rolling bass line, and in the last half there are also some “singing” synths. A really nice track, that could turn out be one of the biggest dance floor hits from the album.

3. Nurbs
The tempo is kicked up a good notch with “Nurbs”, that starts out deeper and darker than the first two tracks, but in the last half that changes dramatically. As the track peaks there is a marvellous uplifting melody, with a synth that sounds a bit like something Protoculture could have used in one of his tracks. Really nice to hear some of the best elements from full on combined with smashing progressive trance.

4. Strange Attractor
This title-track is a progressive monster with a fat, deep groove and some pretty weird sounds. I especially like the twisted dripping sounds, which are used as a sort of percussion. Very well made.

5. Spacechanger
“Spacechanger” is, apart from the intro and the chillout tune, the least “in your face” track on the album. It has a deep, almost melancholic atmosphere, which I find very suitable for progressive early night sets. If you liked the Antix-album, this one will probably also be a track for your liking.

6. Return To The Masters
This one was the opening track on “Puzzled”, the latest compilation released on Iboga, and it was definitely one of the highlights. It’s been played at nearly every party I have attended the last couple of months, and it’s well deserved – a very catchy track, with the deep, tribal FREq-groove, some nice effects and a really happy feel.

7. Awaken (Materialize)
And here comes my absolute favourite on the album. There is no time for an intro, so the track kicks of almost instantly, and it has an extremely sexy and housey groove, which immediately had me up dancing and shaking my butt the first time I heard it. On top there’s some teasing melodies with nice dialogs between them. Very melodic, deep and groovy at the same time - what more can you ask for?

8. Bliss
Ending the “real” album is a chillout track, hence the title, and it’s actually a very positive surprise. The FREq-sound is apparently very suitable for chill, and with the deep and groovy chilled beats this is a nice finish for the album. This is a really nice appetizer for (hopefully) more chillout tracks from FREq in the future.

9. FREq & Fractal Glider - FREqTAL (Zero One Edit) - Bonus Track
After the “real” album ended it’s time for a collaboration with the Australian Fractal Glider. When the tracklist was announced I found this particularly interesting, because their styles seem to be pretty far apart; FREq being progressive psytrance, and Fractal Glider being psychedelic nighttime full on. It starts out with some Antix-like sounds and some groovy tribal percussion on top of a standard progressive track. But beware, after 3 minutes we get a lot more tempo with a rolling bassline, and also some twisted synth-sounds. A very dance-friendly track, which combines psytrance and new progressive trance – fabulous.

Bottom line:

Overall this album is really good. The sound is crystal clear, the production is among the very best in the scene, and there are some extremely fresh and catchy tracks. The style varies from deep and dark to uplifting and melodic, and it’s all very organic. A lot have happened since “Wasp” and “Monochrome” – although they where both amazing, they had a far more linear build-up than the tracks on this album, which are constantly evolving. There has no doubt been a lot of hype around this album, and while it’s perhaps not the milestone some people might hope it will be, it’s still among the very best progressive on the market, with elements of house, trance and psytrance. Bottom line; yet another high quality release from Iboga.

Favourites:

1, 2(!), 7(!!!), 9(!) – but no weak tracks

Verdict:

9/10 – A great purchase

Links:

FREq: http://www.freqsounds.com
Iboga: http://www.iboga.dk          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : May 6, 2004 05:22
Nice review, profane!!! I just ordered it at psyshop! I can't wait! His tracks have been out are amazing! Its going to be a massive release for sure!           Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
ND
ProSect

Started Topics :  44
Posted : May 6, 2004 12:14
oh yes... i have to hear it, you lucky thanks for review man. this artist is in my top           Without Deviation, Progress Is Not Possible.

www.andivision.com
Sound Field / ProSect / Sonify / Radio Mess
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : May 6, 2004 13:38
for sure the best thing that happened to psy scene in this year ! fat, deep, progressive and extremaly wicked stuff !

my fav also a awaking tune but they all realy good and bring me a bit back to noisy psy trance..

get it now !           Believe your soul !
werther

Started Topics :  2
Posted : May 6, 2004 14:09
high skill "technic" production, but i prefer the global production of Son Kite for this year, much more original, and above all much more musical.
D1SCO
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : May 6, 2004 16:36
Great review mate ! I'm really looking forward to his live performance this month ! I will order the album right away - no matter what it cost!

Stay psy mate
Nachummm

Started Topics :  7
Posted : May 6, 2004 21:13
very nice review.
this one will be a killer for sure.
cant wait to put my hands on that one.
zombi you are probebly right.
Azo^

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 7, 2004 10:35
Nice review .. Gotta order this one soon I guess ..

I'm really looking forward to hearing this album, and also the live performance on the 28th of May .. see you there D1SCO and pr0fane !
Or Elbaz

Started Topics :  6
Posted : May 8, 2004 14:00
my god that album kik asssss!!!!!!
how melodic and yet, powerfull, rhythmic & groovy!

a very good cd...

fav: 2,3,5,8,9!!!

keep up!!
Ppsygirl
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : May 8, 2004 19:12
F***** amazing!!! heavy base line!! one of the best things that got out this year!! loved it!!           Follow the Rainbow to.......
ricardo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : May 9, 2004 10:30
Ohhhh Man...Whata an album....fuck.....Deep psychedelic whatever you wanna call music....It's a pleasure to know that people are releasing music like this....Keep on going....and thanks for this release

Best

Ricardo
canyouhearthegoblins

Started Topics :  6
Posted : May 10, 2004 18:41
what a fantastic cd!! i have been loosing faith with a lot of the progressive releases, this is incredible with a lot of psychedelic elements

we listened to it after chichime and my god did the hidden layers come out, stunning

freq shows us the difference good melodies make rather than shocking ones (a la doopler fx, awful)

the chill out track is also vv good
Christian
D-Nox

Started Topics :  55
Posted : May 10, 2004 23:33
best ibog release since a long time .... (in my opinion)

I realy like it, even if I don´t play psychedelic stuff but its wicked stuff! looking forward to the summer festivals....... beam me up scotty!!!
SenstatuX
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : May 11, 2004 04:54
REALLY DOPE!!
great IBOGA release...
really was amazed of this tracks, didnt know so much of this dude before, but now... one of the best!!
keep on rocking !!!           i live for this moment here...
thinman242

Started Topics :  9
Posted : May 11, 2004 15:13
Great music.bravo to freq.A very good release for iboga.you hit the spot guys.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - FREq – Strange Attractors (Iboga 2004)

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance