Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Derango – TuMuLT (Inpsyde Media 2005) CD

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Derango – TuMuLT (Inpsyde Media 2005) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Oct 29, 2005 20:34
Derango – TuMuLT

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/bmf4t

Artist: Derango (Sweden)
Title: TuMuLT
Format: CD (digipack)
Label: Inpsyde Media (Italy)
Cat. #: IME 010
Distribution: Wirikuta
Date: 20 October 2005

Track listing:

01. 08’40” Deranged
02. 07’50” Confusion Is Next
03. 08’10” Made Out Of Vapour
04. 07’43” Masterdamnit
05. 10’51” All Channels Open
06. 09’58” The Poisonous Square
07. 06’37” Lost Theory
08. 07’54” Fnatt
09. 08’38” We Are All Mad Here (Rmx)

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/9fgva (all tracks!)

Review:

Surgeon warning: This will fry your brain!

After several delays and some hardcore internet hype, the long-awaited debut album by Swedish forest-trolls Derango (Jens Eriksson & Ola Eriksson) is finally out! Released by the infamous, nocturnal Italian label Inpsyde Media, this album has already caused quite a stir within psytrance circles… And I can totally understand why… Throughout the last year of so, I’ve had the pleasure of reviewing five compilations which featured Derango tracks – and every single track was a stand-out! These Swedish nut-jobs know their shit… I’ve been really looking forward to this album, so let’s get this introduction over with, and move onto the more fun stuff: The music!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Deranged
Of course we start of with something deranged… This is Derango after all! From the first second the forest feel is very much present here… Birds singing, trolls tripping, acid flowing – more psychedelic FX are added and the track cruises at a comfortable speed… Not too fast, not too slow… Yeah, this is subtle psychedelia… But oh, this is so fucking deep and multi-layered… About half-way thru the track speeds up and goes even deeper underground – drenched in acid! Towards the end it breaks up again and becomes insanely fragmented – good luck trying to mix this on DJs! Haha – awesome style! Kick-ass opening track!

#02: Confusion Is Next
“So, what planet are you from?” Next up – confusion! That’s right – this is a very aptly named track! This is some confusing shit! Some sick, perverted, deranged, insane, alienated shit – and that’s all meant as superlatives mind you! This track pretty much sums up the Derango sound in its entire extrovert, psychedelic glory! Full-power, fast-paced multilayered, eclectic mushroom trance… Like Hux Flux on DMT! Best trip-tool so far… Smashing track!

#03: Made Out Of Vapour
Picture this: Intergalactic space-trolls have taken over the deep, dark Swedish forest now… Psychedelic hornets are all over the place with laser beams attached to their little heads… R2D2 is in there dancing and twirling like a fucking mad droid on dwarf mush… And it’s all happening in slow motion – and warp speed! At the same time! Suddenly there is a tsunami of liquid acid flooding the place – people are electric and shapes and colours are changing before your very eyes… Can you dig it? I can – this is a fucking HUGE track… Immensely deranged!

#04: Masterdamnit
Breakz, bleeps, cuckoo watches, digital water, analogue synths, old school drum programming, fucking crows on PCP, twirling melodies, geo-metric patterns, cut beats, off-key kicks, acid mayhem, electronic farts, robot burps, space drums, troll chanting, power electronics, quantum leaps in time, matter & energy… And that’s describing the first minute only! This is psychedelia madames et monsieurs! Brace yourself!

#05: All Channels Open
Sadly we’re already half way through now – but hey, at least all the channels are open! And thank Hofmann for that! Though drenched in subtle acid, the style here is maybe a little too held back… Supposedly! This is all part of the Derango master plan to take over the world! In all fairness though, I must say that this track is not as good as the previous four… It’s still good though – trippy as fuck, and miles about your standard, alleged psychedelic music… And the last rundown is just fucking impressive! A trippy, though introvert track… Not bad at all, but not among the best here…

#06: The Poisonous Square
“You have to wake up, there's-- What is it? What's wrong? There's something here. Do you see anything? You're probably just dreaming or some…Whoa! There is-- there is something! What the hell is that? What do you see? It's a square. It's just floating. Now there's two - it's multiplying! Maybe that's what a four-dimensional object looks like?…I hate it. It sounds wrong… It's stunning! The math of it - it's a perfect quadrangular oscillation!” I’m fortunate enough to have sampled those alleged poisonous squares – and what a fucking rush that is! Just like this track… The intro is very atmospheric and spooky as hell – seriously this is what it’s all about! Gone are the grim, introvert speculations from the previous track, and we’re left with full-power, in-ya-face psychedelia – Derango style! This track just grabs you by the balls and drags you in… Like those small paper squares! Resistance is futile… This head rush is indefeasible! Don’t fight it… just lean back and enjoy the ride! Perfect track!

#07: Lost Theory
And we’re back to reality… For a brief moment only though! This is perhaps the darkest track here, complete with razor sharp stabbing sounds, high-pitched static and even church bells! Holy fuck, just check out that sick, demented melody… Deranged yes, derailed no! This is seriously complex, multilayered and highly fragmented – forest trance 101! Gnomes, elfs, trolls, pixies – they are all over the place! Just another Saturday night in Malmø, Sweden… Kicking track!

#08: Fnatt
I dunno about Swedish, but in Danish ‘fnat’ means scabies… And yeah, I could see that… This is a rabid bitch of a track! We’re still tripping extremely hard on shrooms here, and this track has nothing on the latest Parvati Records compilation Psy Stories… A very similar style indeed! Fast-paced, experimental, wall-to-wall psychedelic hyper trance… Oh yeah, this is mesmerizing, hypnotic stuff… The light, naïve melody half-way through strikes a notable contrast to the grim, acid-ridden, underground sounds… The Derango guys are once again show-casing their immense skills and outer worldly capability of creating alien music… Sweet track!

#09: We Are All Mad Here (Rmx)
“It was as though I had been here before. I mean, we all have moments of déjà vu but this was ridiculous!” All good things must come to an end – including Derango’s debut album… AFAIK this is a remix to an older tune. Sadly I haven’t heard it, so I can’t really tell you what was changed for this remix… Anyway, this is classic Derango right there – instantly trippy and pretty damn scary! The eerie Jack Nicholson sample from The Shining isn’t exactly making it less scary – oh yes, this is eerie, haunting, spooky stuff… Still very trippy, but with the added spook spice… Boo fucking hoo! I like the tribal drum action going on half-way through… Who would have thought? Another fine track that sadly ends this album…

The ground disappeared from beneath
And all that was solid is air
I tumbled end over end into my nature
And darkness appeared from below
Carrying voices of query, voices of theory
Dark voices, near me
All around and reason is drowned
By the sound of clamour
The pound of the hammer
Is confusion, illusion?
Plunged into shadows and mist
I catch my breath, frightened
But I will not face death still unenlightened!

Welcome to the wonderful world of advanced forest music! Yeah, that Penny Shaw poem seemed just about right when trying to describe the feeling you get from listening to this magnificent album… This kicks the shit out of most I’ve heard this year and is definitely a strong contender for forest trance album of the year… Derango has their very own style, and they stay true to that throughout this album – but still leave room for experimentation… Yeah, this album never gets dull and unlike other off-key albums, I can actually listen to this again and again in one sitting... Or standing… Or trip!

There isn’t a single bad track here – they all stand out in one way or the other… I like pretty much every single minute here, and I’m so relieved that this is something as rare as an album that actually lives up to the hype… The expectations were sky high, but they were met! This is such a mature album – maybe not easily accessible, but eventually rewarding… It’s nothing short of a blast! The cover art by Emil Wennborn is in perfect harmony with the actual music, and all in all this is worth every single penny…

I give this album my warmest recommendations… Fans of highly psychedelic, eclectic forest trance needs to own this album… That’s an order! Get it before it’s deemed illegal! …Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2(!), 3(!), 4(!), 6(!!), 7, 8, 9

DeathPosture

External links:
Derango: http://www.derango.tk
Inpsyde Media: http://www.inpsyde-media.com
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/545650
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/74x9t
Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/ce2j2
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/a4d3j
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/c4yjd
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/8cybh
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/bf5e4
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/dtdbf (obviously the wrong cover art…)
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Oct 29, 2005 21:23
Nice review of a pretty good album. It could do without the drugs propaganda though, DP. So next time keep that to yourself please.
Anyway, tracks 2,3,5,6 do it for me the most here. Nice & deranged stuff, this should be just what the doctor ordered for some of you.
          "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Attoya
Attoya

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Oct 29, 2005 21:33
Hi everybody !!!!! First of all I want to thank Derango for perfect CD is pure twisted psychedelic forest trance . wish you good luck with cd.
Memory Loss
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  103
Posted : Oct 29, 2005 22:24
Best debut ever,trippy shroomy stuff!! Keep this guys and best of luck to Inpsyde Media for signning thos guys!!!!           Skate 0R Die
darkgnome

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 12:02
OK, after repeated listen, I've pretty much summed up my feelings about this album.
The whole last year I was hoping for a Derango album, I just loved every single track they put out. Now that I got it, I must say that this is even more I hoped for. This is the single best psytrance release I've ever heard! Total insanity from the beginning to the end.
psykadu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  74
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 13:32
amazing album.
well done derango.
keep it that way.
PSYTOUR-night oracle recs
Psytour

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 14:19
thats the best project cd for 2005 !!!
i didnt find 1 track to say that i dont like it.
derango gave us full psychedelia..

big thanks to Ola & Jens!!
          *Night Oracle Records
www.night-oracle-records.com

*Vertigo Records/Indigo Recs
*Femina Mandragora/Rhakti Dei
scobbah
Kiriyama

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 17:30
Hey people! Here's my review, as usual originally posted at Mandarin.nu in swedish.

The essence of verdure spreads and tickles the nose. There's a creak somewhere out there in the darkness. The cold feets are slightly sinking down in the dampy moss.

The expectations for this album have been skyhuge and I have to admit that I haven't experienced such a hype of this kind in a long time. A hype who wasn't created by ad's and promotion but purely by the high Derangoquality we've got to recognize from various compilations. Our twisted duo who resides in the Malmö area wrote this album between April last year to May this year and it is finally served in store with the signature of Italian Inpsyde Media.

Anyhow, let's return to where the story first started...

01 – Deranged (08:40)
... and the title of the first track fits totally with what we are encountering when we're opening our ears. The track's tempo and character gives this a kind of funky touch, blended by surprise and in some way tricky. My definition of "Örebrotrance" are well to be used here, and I assume that anyone who have visited the Örebroforest at night would agree with me on that this track are probably taking place around midnight. The trippy melodies have started to flow out of the speakers and nothing is like it is supposed to be. Torches brings light to the dancefloor and everyone acts like they were possessed, deep into the dance. The night is young.

02 – Confusion Is Next (07:50)
Derango tends to get each track to sound like a little tale, and there are rarely (I have yet not experienced it) occassions where you hear a Derangotrack and associate to another Derangotrack. Of course this sound like Derango, but it doesn't sound like something that has been massproduced. The confusion is fully going on during these near eight minutes and there are some parts here who is extremely great! It shouldn't be allowed to make such good stuff like this! Just let yourself freak out a little bit during the first half of this track. You see? Told you...

03 – Made Out Of Vapour (08:10)
A bit more heavy foundation rubs the eardrums and it is time for a journey who offers some elements that awakens some industrial associations within me. There's an high factor here of unreal feelings. I don't know wether I should be most worried about my own health here or the current state of mind of Jens and Ola. File this under 'psychotic forestmusic', please.

04 – Masterdamnit (07:43)
The thought hits me that Derango are professionals at painting soundscapes who's not dominated by a single element (i.e. just leads or just atmospheres e.t.c.) and instead there's always a complete balance between all ingrediences, which results in a splendid overall picture which you can acknowledge here. The favorite part is at about five minutes into the track and it is difficult to relax as there's a supertingle in the whole body, primary in the feets. This track and me in a tracking suit out there in the forest and the party's on!

05 – All Channels Open (10:51)
The fifth track offers another irresistible journey with the Derango rollercoaster. It is
difficult to find proper words to describe what is going on here during the longest track of the album. The soundscapes are constantly being changed and there is, by purpose from the composers or not, a great evident plot here throughout the track. The first part of the track makes me actually think of Duck Off, another interesting project constituted by Procs and Captain Ifan Freakout worthy to check out for anyone who likes swedish foresttrance.

06 – The Poisonous Square (09:58)
It's time for something I experience as a bit more raw version of Derango. The track starts out kind of dark and I quickly notice that this is capable of playing a lot of jokes on me. This is definitely the darkest I have tussled with so far on the CD, with a lot of spooky atmospheres, superb breaks and some really minddrilling melancholic leads that aims for all five senses at once. Overall this is a nice track that comes as a nice variety after the heavy psychedelic amount we have been experiencing on the previous tracks. A chance to rest at least a bit mentally.... Thumbs up.

07 – Lost Theory (06:37)
The theory is well woven into track seven and it quickly rearranges the mind. Some elements here are of such pleasure that the track quickly entangles its roots around my heart. Another review I read of this CD stated that this was supposed to be the darkest stuff on the album, and I can agree a little bit on that. It is not really the same dose of colourful sounds of chaos here as in the firs tracks on the album. This is groovy in pure Derangostyle!

08 – Fnatt (07:54)
It is difficult to put your finger at exactly what kind of poison that has been planted in these soundwaves, but there is something anyway that makes me kind of fall in love with this track. Mystic, lurky and it does for sure contain some trippy surprises. The bass together with the sounds that has been woven into this track really gives a proper view of the track's title.

* 'Fnatt' is swedish, and it is kind of hard to describe exactly what it means, but you could say 'crazy' in general.
In example: "Att få fnatt" = "To freak out" or "To go crazy".

09 – We’re All Mad Here (Remix) (08:38)
During the first part of the CD's last ingredience we're being cradled into a more soft atmosphere, but that's been rearranged (like it comes as a surprise?) and whatever that could be bended further is being bended. A part in the middle of the tracks comes with some fresh drums who gives a cosy contrast. The track's final part is crazy. Everything's been slightly slow downed and it is time to cut the rope. A superfinish of a superalbum.

Summary
There is no doubt - buy it today! Derango's debut album really corresponded to the expectations and if not even more! It was a long time now since an album dropped into my mailbox and felt so fresh throughout the whole piece! No track does sound like another but everything definitely sounds Derangoish. The CD itself is not superheavy like some russian trance or like it, but instead it is a lot more heavy when it comes to the amount of psychedelic elements who's constantly taking care of all parts of the body and mind. I take the risk here and I might sound excentric, but I have to say that Jens and Ola have really succceded with this one and the album is definitely a hot candidate when it is time to think of the best nightmusic album of 2005.

Also worth to mention is Inpsyde Media's very serious promopackage. I was a bit stunned, it was way over the standard (how it was served). Thumbs up!

Favorites: all tracks.

More information
- http://www.inpsyde-media.com
- http://www.derango.tk           Aural transmissions from the deep forests of Sweden
www.dvsmrecords.org - 'Patterns II EP' by Silent Horror out now!
Erevos

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 18:55
Top quality psychedelia!
No need to say more,everybody knows Derango music!

DigitalN

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 20:35
Big Respect!
i love this sound !
keep it foresting!

Greets from athens
more boom
Lepton
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 23:57
very good album, even more trippier that there previous tracks !!

Well done !

favorite tracks : 2 4! 6 7! 8! 9!
Willy Wonka
Inactive User

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Oct 31, 2005 00:41
Nice album, really psychedelic and quite good sound quality. ALmost no cheeseness like some other psychedelic producers.

Cheers!
Bloodclot
Bloodclot

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Oct 31, 2005 10:31
I love this album.. its REALLY psychedelic.. Cant really digest the sounds at times.. SOO much happening in each track.. Still sane tho!
kobi_palombo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 12:41
Derango Roxxxxxxxxxxxxx !
amazing cd i love it all !!!!!!!
pure twisted psychedelic forest trance !

Fnattttttttttt
Boom

FrodOhm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 13:14
Gotta Love it, just gotta love it!!

Both great great reviews!!

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Derango – TuMuLT (Inpsyde Media 2005) CD

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance