Author

boom festival

Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Sep 5, 2014 20:03
Quote:

On 2014-09-05 12:06, TimeTraveller wrote:
it was great! Also that much good music.. Ajja went so psychedelic, Tristan, Laughing Buddha etc t'was a psychedelic blast. Most psychedelic psy time for me on the dancefloor was when X-Dream came up on stage up from the very slow & mental psychedelic dark intro, along with all X-dreams finest bombs to the very end of his set. X-Dream at its finest. Although it was only Marcus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJyMJ1AMgg

Not that I know any of X-dream's music, but it came as a pleasant surprise to hear something different for a change.
I really got fed up with that generic sound of most artists, booming basslines and sharp stabs and leads.
Too bad Ajja played at night and had to turn down the volume.
The last day was the worst with Dacru records claiming almost the entire lineup.

TimeTraveller
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Sep 6, 2014 15:46
last day we had to catch our train at Groningen at 10.52 in morning so we had to leave :/ .. I really wanted to exprience Talamsca,Electric Universe and Trancient. All of them played at Monday. But it all was like coming home. Great Nederlands got a big festival now. Easy going goa. Nice           https://soundcloud.com/shivagarden
ATA

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Sep 7, 2014 12:17
Psyfi had a super nice place and setup, really bad sound rigs (the alt stage and chill sounded like I was listening to it on someone's home hifi, the manstage had two distinct kicks and hihat lines playing at some areas due to the quadraphonic setup), and a lineup I wasn't so hype about. However it was realy, really fun!

Danced like a maniac to Electric Universe on the mainstage, still love him dearly after all these years

I agree with djones though, lots of "generic" "normal" psy that kinda all sounds the same. Like a lineup from Ozora 2010 or something. Also the mainstage closing at 3am and later going on but at low volume was a real vibe killer.

I really want to go next year though, hopefully they will fix some of the not so good stuff and leave the stuff what was great

Also on tuesday morning after the festival finished I took a big shit in the toilets by the mainstage while super high on MDMA and it was so physically pleasurable I almost passed out and had to sit there for 5 mins before I could stand up again
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Sep 7, 2014 13:52
i hope next year they do it again !!!

lucky guys who enjoyed x dream set !
Upollo

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Sep 8, 2014 21:07
Good chance they will, for they agreed on this for the next three years with the terrain exploitants.

There have been some 150 complaints because of noise (the festival is practically on the edge of the city of Leeuwarden), but on the other hand, municipality peopz have measured the db's and cleared the main stage for the night time hours (although, indeed, the lower volume was somewhat of a letdown).

For me, saturday night and sunday were the top days, with Earthling, Ajja, Filteria, Avalon, Laughing Buddha, Ital, Tristan (Killerwatts) all in pretty good (to top) shape!

Alltogeher, I found this to be one of the best festivals I've seen (a.o. Ozora, Sun, Antaris, Waldfrieden, Boom, Tschittraka, Solipse, Fullmoon@Ko Pa Ngangh) and would advise anyone to go there next year! And nope, I'm no agent for them
ATA

Posted : Sep 8, 2014 22:42
I agree it was one of the best festivals I've been to as well, but the night time volume levels thing upset me a lot. I don't think any cool location is worth it if it disrupts the psytrance at a psytrance festival.

Maybe they can do something with their quadraphonic setup to keep the sound pressure levels high within the stage while keeping it low outside (I could forgive the weird high end delay in some areas of the stage for this).

It was pretty sad though - there's nothing more disappointing than full power psy music played quietly with no bass.
TimeTraveller
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Sep 9, 2014 00:39
I also noticed it a few times that the sound system could be a bit better and louder but than it was more than absolutely ok for me and inside the vortex, in the sweet spot, the sound was pretty powerful and enjoyable. I was deeply impressed by the sounds when for instance X-Dream played or Ajja which all happens at night. Amazing sound colours Maybe I was too high or sth dunno Still defenitly agree that sound system should be better for this quality artists and that many great people.           https://soundcloud.com/shivagarden
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Sep 9, 2014 05:39
nothing wrong with getting high. you know those ugly and cheap sounding beats headphones that say you'll listen to music the way it was meant to by the artists?

well, in psytrance's case getting high usually does the trick. of course funktion one or the likes also help. it's been some time before I heard about a quadrophonic system on a festival.

glad you guys had a great time there
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Sep 9, 2014 08:28
What made the festival so good for you guys? What would you want to see better except for the sound?           soundcloud.com/supergroover
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Sep 9, 2014 11:51
the few times i partyed in holland it was quadriphonic, must be something from the north dunno
TimeTraveller
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Sep 9, 2014 14:04
Quote:

On 2014-09-09 08:28, supergroover wrote:
What made the festival so good for you guys? What would you want to see better except for the sound?

I didn't like that security check point tbh but I can imagine that it's been there on condition from the government/laws and I could live with that the next times.

It was quite cool that at nights they let the people just pass. Apart of this all was very good. The atmosphere, the good vibes & the love for the detail in there, for example the whole magic forest ^^ and all those things, places & spaces around were lovely.

I still am positively shocked at how huge the improvement from the first edition to the second was. Has someone won in the lottery ? or rub some big banks or what ^^
          https://soundcloud.com/shivagarden
ATA

Posted : Sep 9, 2014 15:39
The security sucked to begin with, then they really owned! After a couple of days they were just letting everyone through, one time I went in the guy asked me if I had any drugs, to which I answered no, he then (laughing) told me that only people with drugs were allowed and I had to leave High fived him before entering (this was during the day). I did however on the first day see some girl reduced to tears after they found and confiscated a big bag of pills and speed she had.

Things I would like to see better:

* Lineup: It felt like a lineup from Ozora 2010 on the mainstage or something. Lots of very generic/cheesy psy with not much real day/night differentiation. At times I was outright bored by the music, which is pretty annoying when you're tripping out of your mind and your choice is a stage with boring music or a stage running at 70dbspl or something.

* Food: The food was nice but there could have been more choice. I loved that the falafel pirate people were there, there's always one guy who works with them where I swap him a joint in order to jump the queue

* I don't drink alcohol, but it seemed like if you wanted to it was hard to get inside the festival area. I kinda like this though, less drunk people & more high people = nice atmosphere. It also seemed difficult to buy bottled water or soft drinks? I brought my own water bottle but it's sometimes nice to drink sugary drinks to keep your energy up when you are on stuff that makes it not possible to eat.

* It was super hard to find the entrance to the fest. The bus they told you to go on took you to a place FAR from the entrance, but next to a closed entrance which we were turned away from and given really wrong directions by the security guy. There was a lack of signs or info in a lot of places.

* Along the same lines it would have been fun to have psyfi transport to the festival from leeuwarden. The bus we got on was super cramped with all the people and seemed to piss off the locals who were on that bus. It fucked my legs up and stopped me from dancing much for the first day because we were so jammed in.

* The showers. For me I don't really mind being naked in public but I know a lot of people didn't like it. I did have a really fun experience with a beautiful girl who came into the shower opposite mine and maintained super intense eye contact with me the whole time while she undressed and showered so maybe it's actually a fun thing

That's about it really, apart from that and the sound it was really wonderful. Lovely people, lovely location, lovely free vibe. It was amazing to be at a psytrance festival and not have the heat as your enemy. Can dance during the day, lay outside, not have to worry about sunscreen, go into a toilet without it being 60c inside etc.

It was also very nice that all the food places etc spoke English very well and/or their menus were in French or German etc which is easy to understand compared to say Croatian or Hungarian etc.

ATA

Posted : Sep 9, 2014 15:44
I do wonder though that say if they went with that quad line array setup with a better quality rig, maybe some kind of directional/cardioid subwoofer array(s) and perhaps some kind of deco that also acts as external dampening around the mainstage then they could theoretically run at a high sound pressure level inside the stage while keeping it low outside?

Supergroover: Are you on the psyfi crew?
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Sep 10, 2014 19:38
ATA: I worked on logistics for psy-fi. Getting the artists to the airport, the hotel and back. So part of the crew but not part of the crew. Driving Ace Ventura to the airport at 4 in the morning was a bit boring though
But because I would love the festival to continue next year I am collecting feedback for the organizers to grow.           soundcloud.com/supergroover
Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Sep 11, 2014 00:40
A few things to consider.
- no volume drops at night, or at least be honest about it
Before the festival started I asked if the music would go on 24/7.
Except for a "very small volume adjustment" at night, there was nothing I should worry about I was told.
Turns out, the whole main stage was scheduled to close between 3 and 10 am every night!
However the music would continue on the alternative stage, although the volume was turned down by a very large margin, it was totally not worth it to hang around there, big disappointment.
Luckily the organization changed their minds after the first day and moved the night lineup of the alt stage to the mainstage, but with the volume turned down again it was still nothing to rave about, albeit still better than closing the whole stage.

- sell cigarets at the festival
- hot showers

That's about all I can think of, except for the points I mentioned I think the festival was well organized and has all the potential to become one of the better festivals in europe

Trance Forum » » Forum  Production & Music Making - boom festival
← Prev Page
2 3 4 5 6 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance