Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - Awakening Divine Inspiration~Portland OR~May 8 2004

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Awakening Divine Inspiration~Portland OR~May 8 2004

sage2012
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 12, 2004 09:35
the flyer for this one is sick, sick, sick.. i would love to be able to check this one out!

http://www.chaosexistence.net/showproduct.asp?productid=20623#

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, May 8th
Portland, Oregon

Awakening Divine Imagination

Experience an incredible evening of Art, Music, Dance and elevated consciousness. Alex Grey will be speaking and exhibiting selections of his work in Portland in a Celebration and Benefit for the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors.

The Chapel of Sacred Mirrors will provide a permanent public exhibition of Alex Grey's most outstanding and widely appreciated works of transformative art, welcoming people from all traditions to cultivate a vision of interconnectedness, reverence for life and encouraging the spiritual awakening of each individual.

The Sacred Mirrors speak to our highest aspirations as a species: universal compassion, respect for all life, a deep appreciation of all cultures and wisdom traditions, awakened consciousness and a full flowering of human possibility. In a Chapel of beauty the Sacred Mirrors could contribute to the radical raising of awareness we so desperately need if we are to successfully navigate our way to a saner, more loving and life affirming civilization.

Visionary art show opens at 8PM, presentations by Stevee Postman and Alex Grey at 9PM, followed by devotional chanting with Jaya Lakshmi And Deva Priyo. Ritual dance from 10PM-10AM. Awaken divine imagination in a celebration of unity, love, life, and self-expression.

Music of Divine Imagination presented through:

Neuromotor [live] (Mechanik Sound, France)
Deeper in Zen [live] (Soular, SF)
Mindwarped [live] (Soular, MD)
Amanda (Mistresses of Evil, SF)
Surreal (Vaporvent, SF)
Random Rab [live] (el circo, Ashland)

Other Tempo Temple
with music by:

Spacefairy (tribal psychedelic rock-electronica fusion)
Waterjuice [live] (vaporvent, SF)
Special Surprise (members of Lost at Last jam with Random Rab)
DJ Muse (CCC, SF)
Devon (your family friends and fellow explorers)
Waater (environmental structures, Seattle)
Fractalien (chaos existence, Portland)

With Art by:

bInterdimensional Art Movement Unified (I.AM.U.)
David Heskin, Roman Villagrana, Xavi, Nemo, Luke Brown, Janelle Orchid, Orbital Monkeys, Bret, Arun, Eli Morgan, Melissa Scirocco, Allyson Grey, Stevee Postman...

lights by vis-nu ( http://www.dreamerjohn.com )

BIG, clean, clear sound by sentient audio ( http://www.sentientaudio.com )

Please buy your tickets early: $25
online: http://www.chaosexistence.com
seattle: Travelers-501 E Pike St.
portland: Mirador Community Store-2106 SE Division St.
eugene: Star Gate-1374 Willamette St. No. 1

for directions and more info,
Tune in: http://www.sacredmirrors.org or 503-768-4059

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

michael
www.atlantapsytrance.net
http://touchsamadhi.com/artists/michael-curran
http://soundcloud.com/sage2012
http://mixcloud.com/sage2012/
Mistress of Evil
Mistress Of Evil Records

Started Topics :  101
Posted : Apr 12, 2004 21:10
yay! Road trip! i'll see you guys there. looking forward to dancing with my Portland friends once again, and enjoying their beautiful vibe
not to mention Alex Grey art, & incredible music all nite! thanx and cya soon!
lucid

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Apr 13, 2004 06:23
will there be any stompin' goin on...like they do in Asheville?           "Without music, life would be a mistake."- Friedrich Nietzsche
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Apr 15, 2004 04:53
oh yes they stomp in portland i can tellyou for sure!
this one looks incredible!!!!
what a lineup!
its a wonderful movement in this country happening now!!
the resources are growing, the love overflowing, connections are hyperactive, its nice to see lots of friendly and familiar names!
wow! mindwarped!
waater! yaay! go monkey!
lazer!
waterjuice!
dreamerjohn is maybe the BEST vj ive seen. and the sensient audio at As One festival was sleek baby -so niiiice.
pdx has obviously got it goin' ON, I truly cant wait to jam out there again someday...
watch out!

www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
lucid

Posted : Apr 16, 2004 06:28
I've only been around psytrance for about a year and a half and it seems like it's growing.
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 19:00
this will be a great party...full psychedelic vibes...yes Lucid...I can tell you there will be some hard stompin....

Alex Grey and Space Fairy/Lost at Last playing are attracting a wide range of nice psychedelic people who don't know much about psy-trance....and will be exposed to trance for maybe the first time....

hopefully we can make the family grow!
lucid

Posted : Apr 21, 2004 04:11
I should've never left NC.

I'll probably be going to this party.

I'm in desperate need of an avenue.
psunspot
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : May 5, 2004 01:15
heehee

bump

this one's gonna take me to outer

gotta have the wiggy AND the wonky
Mistress of Evil
Mistress Of Evil Records

Started Topics :  101
Posted : May 7, 2004 04:12
wooo hooooooo! the party is in 2 days! We are soo excited, a van full of evil chicks will be heading up there tomoroow! look out Portland, mwah ha ha!!
no really, can't wait to see you all again and ready to dance my assssss off!
peace
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 10, 2004 23:24
Party Review – Awakening the Divine Imagination w/ Alex Grey and Neuromotor
May 8th 2004, Portland, Oregon USA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Portland underground scene reached a new peak on Saturday with “The Awakening of the Divine Imagination Art” show and all-night dance ritual. Held in a spacious indoor location near downtown Portland, the art show/party featured the works of the king of modern psychedelic painters, Alex Grey, and an inspiring spoken presentation by him.

Elliot, the promoter, did a super job of attracting a very diverse crowd, and providing a diverse mix of entertainment and a tasteful multi-room environment for people to cut lose, connect with others and explore their own inner dimensions.

The indoor decorations were professional and inspiring. There were 5 life-sized prints of psychedelic-electric renditions of the human form by Alex Grey, and extremely cutting-edge prints of new-school psychedeila by other artists on the walls of the main dance area and chillout rooms. There was an abundance of sacred objects that gave the space atmosphere: generator-sized crystals, a forest worth of potted trees and bamboo, large brass statues of Buddha, Shiva and Nandi. The stage where Alex Grey spoke from was decked out like a unimaginably luxurious Indian ashram, and the DJ stand was stunning to look at , a flouro-delic visual feast of original psy artwork by the Portland psy-trance crew.

This was no typical art show, with garden-variety paintings and a crowd full of cosmopolitan posers. Several hundred serious freaks and visionary geniuses from Vancouver to S.F. poured into the place, and gave the work a very critical eye. The art was second to none, and was visually arresting – and many people raved endlessly about it.

The house was completely packed for the 9pm spoken presentation by Alex Grey, who was extremely humble, and accessible to his fans. He signed prints, chatted for the entire night afterwards, and demonstrated new animations on his laptop. After Alex spoke about Art and Divine inspiration, there was a Kirtan of sacred chanting and performance with a full stage of Indian drums and music instruments. The gentler souls at the party loved this, and swayed and danced away with open hearts, smiling faces and airy-fairy hand motions.

The main stage began to play electronic music around midnight, with a live performance of funky breaks that were accessible, played at a nice tasteful volume - and got the crowd grooving right away, and didn’t scare anyone away.

This was followed by San Francisco trance man Deeper in Zen, who performed a very professional live set, that was the highlight of the main stage for me. Starting with some more progressive and semi-melodic night sounds, and progressing into heavier and darker crunchiness – Deeper In Zen played a smooth live that would rock on almost any nighttime trancefloor on the planet. As the music got more aggressive and punishing, a lot of the hippies and art people began to seek refuge in the chillout rooms or the outdoor smoking patio.

Luckily for them, the night in 3 downtempo rooms featured some of the best live music and DJ sets of the entire show. There were a variety of eclectic and groovy sounds to enjoy throughout the night, and people were writhing, grinning, hugging and melting and flopping around all over the carpeted floors with happiness. DJ Fractalien (Mauricio) of Chaos Existence stole the show in one room .His expert picks of rhythmic downtempo new-releases, combined with his superb mixing and turntable scratching, Fractalien delivered with power and confidence…one of the most amazing downtempo DJ sets I have seen anywhere in the world. People were grooving, bumping, grinding and cheering…faces in ecstasy..the room so packed you could barely squeeze in. He played the newest tunes (such as Abakus on Liquid Sound Design) with wicked, ass-shaking turntable scratching… giving the mix irresistible rhythm and groove. Unfortunately the main floor never got such a vibe and smile as the chillout room!

BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 10, 2004 23:25
Party Review - Part II
--------------------------------------------

The highlight of the more rock-oriented downtempo room was the SF duo Waterjuice. With a live guitarist, and a casual ‘drummer’ sitting in a chair and working an electronic drum box – the level of funk and groovability was epic. People were twisted their arms and cheering with joy. Their live was very “live” and easy to watch how they were involved in each step of the creative process. Waterjuice has a very groovy and original sound, acceptable to rockers, artists, trancers, meditators, dancers and spliffed-out Rastafarians alike.

As the night waned on, I am sorry to report, the music in the main stage took a dive and never recovered. Around 3am, Amanda (Mistresses of Evil, SF) played a set of grim and fatalistic tracks….what I’d call “Trauma Trance”…...that made me vividly remember various my life hurts and painful experiences as I winced through it. With each stomp, all the bad things that happened to me in the past week seared back into my consciousness, and I’d switch mind channels and try to think of something more peaceful. The best praise I could give it was it sounded clear and was -remarkably- twisted and frightening, if that’s what you’re into…but a majority of the colorful and artistic people were apparently not. The crowd thinned out very quickly and noticeably during her set, and never quite recovered back to critical mass.

Sometime after Amanda was Neuromotor, from Mechannik Sound in France. He hogged the main stage for the rest of the party, and played some hard driving, aggressive sound. The 6 hour set reminded me very much of trying to sleep next to some busy train tracks. The music was very fast, completely without grooves or funkiness…and despite dancing to it for hours and genuinely trying to appreciate and get groovy to it…my acid-addled mind couldn’t find a single color, texture, tickle, or sonic trick that would make it particularly ‘psychedelic’ in any sense of the word.

Like the “dark dictator” style of Goa Gil and other hard-driving ego-trippers, Frederick didn’t seem to care what the crowd might like, or bother to play a variety of sounds tempos and textures to reflect the various moods and changes in the light cycle. He snickered and sneered, cackled and made chopping motions as he played one hard-lined “train track” after another. Most people wandered away, tired out or decided to go home..and he played his aggressive and unremarkable neuro-motor rotations for a tiny crowd of die-hard Dark trancers out of the several hundred at the event.

My bowels felt heavy, and I needed to get some shit out of my system. I wandered into the bathroom, which was clean but there was no toilet paper left. Luckily I remember the Indian way of cleaning with water, so I filled up a paper cup and sat down to excrete. I stared at the linoleum toilet door, watching it swirl, to the heavy pounding of the harsh rythyms echoing into the bathroom and bouncing off the tiles. All of a sudden…like an angels song…I heard a beautiful melody fill the air. I couldn’t believe my ears, but beautiful dream came to the end when I hear someone in the bathroom answer a cellphone. It was just a high-tech phone ring melody, but a wonderful hallucination while it lasted!

As the sun rose and finally the shone through the spacious windowed-ceiling skylights, the music did not change a single tone or bpm. A single melody, even a quick or dark one, was not to be heard. I tried hard to force a smile over the oppressive sonic atmosphere, but I didn’t not see a single smile on the dance floor. Not a moment of celebration. . DJ Neuromotor was dominant and In Charge….hogging the decks for 6 hours… desperate to keep the night from ending, putting all his might into pretending the sun wasn’t rising. He greeted the bright sunshine with bloodcurdling tracks like “Dance or Die” with a sample from it’s namesake that sounded like a bad horror film.
He was going to rip his night attack all morning long and he loved every minute of it. I have stomped trance floors on several continents, and was flabbergasted as I have never seen a party be played like this before – it was almost surreal. It was the night that never ended. It was also excessively loud, was impossible to speak to people on the dancefloor, and left me with a headache that persisted for a couple after leaving.
While checking out he morning chillout rooms, the crowd was thin, and the music was non-rhythmic and give little option to dance in the morning – and one of the rooms was just filled with people crashed out and sleeping. By 10 am, there were about 20 die-hards left grinding their teeth and dancing to Neuromotor, the rest filled their chillums somberly, tired… and it was obvious that the party was over, and there was going to be no reprieve or happy ending, so I headed home.

I enjoyed attending the party, and found the art show to be most inspiring. Everything except for the music booking was very professional. The early part of the night featured some music that really held and moved the crowd, but it was a train-wreck of noise in the morning – that was not at all psychedelic, inspiring, or fun. No hugs, no smiles, no good vibes. It was a sonic atrocity peculiar to the Portland scene, brought on, perhaps by hardships and yearly neurosomatic brainwashing sessions by guru-gone-bad Goa Gil . The music had no balance. I left feeling tired, and somewhat more jangled and abused than inspired.
Hopefully next time the crew will consider that in the trance-dance ritual there is a night, and a morning also. There is an established part of the global trance ritual called sunrise, that this completely lacked. There should be a spiritual side to follow destructive music – Why not get some talented people to work the deck and help heal people and put their minds back together at the end of a long and testing journey?

Ratings:
Decorations,Art and Atmosphere: 10/10
Down Tempo Rooms: 7/10
Psychedelic Music: 4/10

ohmy
Fractal Cowboys

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 10, 2004 23:33
guru gone bad? what do you mean brett from tibet?
Trauma trance. buddy, you are so living in 1987. well, it sure isn't haldolium.

But I understand, there are two types of people, neophytes and neophobes. neophytes love change, and neophobes hide from it like the plague. man, things are always going to get better, so holding on to an unlifting simon posford riff from 1996 won't help you grow.
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 10, 2004 23:47
goa gil and neuromotor all morning is so "1984". get with it and smile, buddy
ohmy
Fractal Cowboys

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 11, 2004 00:17
I understand. Besides being three of the most amazing, caring, and creative humans on this planet, the three people you are putting your own negative energy onto are all about taking you out of "!You!" and onto a journey. To call somebody a guru gone bad, and saying it as "oh yeah, this is just what everybody thinks", i wonder what your intention is?
Maybe it is good for you to think about your problems, listen to some Trauma trance, then you will have a chance to work through them, and you wont then have to make fun
chrisesca

Started Topics :  3
Posted : May 11, 2004 01:38
I had a really good time at this party... got there in time to catch part of Waterjuice's set... Always a pleasure to see them play! Amanda's set was so crazy! It's always interesting to see the crowd ebb and flo, and I think she scared some people (specifically when she played Mega Jesus of Evil by the Fractal Cowboys muwaahahaa). Neuromotor, what to say? He's my hero for a reason! Fred as always gave an amazing awesome performance... playing mostly new tracks with some old favorites thrown in for good measure... a proper arse kicking for sure! M.o.E. Fred!!!           Become a ray of darkness in an otherwise unbearably sunny day.
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - Awakening Divine Inspiration~Portland OR~May 8 2004

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance