Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - Awakening Divine Inspiration~Portland OR~May 8 2004
← Prev Page
1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Awakening Divine Inspiration~Portland OR~May 8 2004

offthenutboom
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posted : May 11, 2004 02:34
It sounds like purgatory I guess this event made Dante's journey a walk in the park. But sometimes for me is about living the moment, the experience that is provided and making the best out of it. Because the talent Alex Grey showcased, was @ the same level of inspiration as the music played on the main dancefloor. One has been assimilated and thoughrouly understood, the other still alien to some. But beyond all the darkness shines the light, we just have to open our senses and minds to discern it. Where it all sounds in the surface like crunching evil crushing our skull beyond lies a world of intelligence, humor and enlightened understanding of music.

BOM!
Francisco
Mistress of Evil
Mistress Of Evil Records

Started Topics :  101
Posted : May 11, 2004 10:57
wowowow, brett from tibet were we at the same party??? that party was sooo awesome a huge collaboration of many minds, from many different places. i agree for sure, waterjuice was the highlight of the side room, great job boys, if it wasn't so hot in there i would have stayed in there longer! Yes amanda's set was dark and crazy, but it was 4am, perfect time for that music
and Neuromotor makes morning music!!!! his tracks are driving and full on, not dark and evil.
Yes, the dance floor was not as full at the end of the night, but there was a big group of people who danced until noon, when fred stopped playing, that were having the time of their lives and dancing their asses off! and smiling and laughing and good vibes were floating all around the room....
maybe heavier music effects you badly brett, but everyone else seemed to be having a blast.
a big thanks to the organizers and everyone who came and made the party so much fun, nice dancing with you portland peeps, freaks unite!!
peace
megan
(and btw, when promotrs bring an artist to a party and invite him to play and give him a time slot- the artist is not "hogging" the decks as you say
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : May 11, 2004 23:37
A lot of care and variety was put into the first segment of this party, but the critical second half of the “scared dance ritual” was a real sonic disaster and buzz kill. The proof was on the dancefloor:

Neuromotor’s marathon “morning” set was indeed hard and driving, but not at all psychedelic or trippy in any reasonable stretch of the word (ref: Saikopod, Penta, Shpongle, Kode IV). There was a lot more to the missing from his aggressive hard-trance sound than the essential psychedelic sparkle, or holographic depth. It wasn’t groovy, nor funky, nor diverse, nor uplifting, nor humorous, nor fun, nor multi-textured, nor colorful, not delicate in moments, and definitely not a journey – like a 7 to 8 hour set had better be! It didn’t even rock the crowd and get as “full power” of a response as the scitar music and chanting Kirtan did!

The dance floor was compartively deserted as the sun rose, save for a couple dozen die-hard Portland and M.o.E. trance freaks. As for the smiles and wonderful vibes: What were you smoking? I don’t know what kind of trance parties you’ve stomped for a frame of reference….but I feel genuine pity if that was a ‘killer vibe’ in your morning book. I saw hardly any smiles, hugs or people ‘having a blast’ - just tired and relatively sober faces, dutifully grinding it out. The thin crowd seemed more like a prostitute getting drilled by an aggressive customer, than a free-spirited orgy of lovemaking.

When a real morning freak-out happens on the dance floor, at a party of that size, the National Guard couldn’t stop the people from dancing wildly or get them to leave. People forget about the time, and insignificnt things like sleep and work. You’d see people grinning devilishly, screaming, waking up from the chillout room floor and revving up again, appearing from the woodworks and out of thin air, slapping hands, jumping and cheering the music on. Hugging, celebration and Dionysian ecstasy that continues until AFTER the DJ stops playing, not hours before it.

I think it’s says something if, that out of hundreds of very trippy, artistic people who came to see Alex Grey, virtually none stayed to see the light of day. I can’t blame them, cause Mr. Neuromotor held on to the bitter end and made sure the light of day would never shine! But hey, he and his 30 fans liked it – although they didn’t smile or cheer too much. What about the other 90% of the people who were not inspired, and took off sooner rather than later?

This time the sleepy backwater of Portland, Oregon got a bit closer to a World-Class psy party, with most things balanced and right-on except for the most important element of all: the Music. It was a quite a shame, because for once, all the right crowd and energy was brought together in a beautiful and suitable space. A psychedelic Miracle could have happened so easily. With a diverse and more accessable lineup, playing -for- the crowd and in tune with the sun cycle, the vibe could have blown through those crystal clear skylight windows and into the sky - and turned a whole new legion of Portlanders into psy-trancers. Hopefully next time!

-BrettFromTibet (from Florida)

mist
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  68
Posted : May 12, 2004 00:09

dude, you're crazy.... or, maybe you just have a different opinion on parties and music than i do. "relatively sober faces"? you do realize that drugs are illegal, yes? that they have no place at a party, and promoters try to keep them out? that it's about the music and the fun, first and foremost?

sorry you didn't have a good time, tho.

all in all, i think this party sounds like it was lots of fun.
i know i had a blast the day before, when neuromotor played here in texas. i haven't danced through the sunrise in quite some time. like years!

Are you connected to yourself?
http://soundcloud.com/justincaseboy
offthenutboom
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posted : May 12, 2004 00:19
Maybe those trippy ppl do not like psy trance. Maybe Brett you have plenty of expectations about how things should be. But, psy trance is not one anymore and there are plenty of interpretations on how the trance-dance ritual should be.

"It wasn’t groovy, nor funky, nor diverse, nor uplifting, nor humorous, nor fun, nor multi-textured, nor colorful, not delicate in moments, and definitely not a journey." You are just missing "for me" Because I know plenty of ppl who would find beauty in music without having it tainted with all this chromatic decorations, this obvious traditional interpretations and expectations.

The funny thing is that you put down the ppl who danced to the music. They are the core, whether you like it or not, of psy trance. And those who went or did not like it, are not part of it. I personally say fuck pleasing the masses, screw making an impression. Either you are part of it or not. And if you think you can do better, build it. But, offending and blaming ppl is not going to resolve anything.

Giving your subjective opinion without getting personal is constructive. Insulting plenty of beautiful ppl (That I do know personally) is not going to help in any way.

I do not want new legions, and I do believe psy trance is not for everyone. Even I would say not all psy trance is for all psy trancers.

I do not understand where all this rage is comming from. I met you and you hit me as an awesome guy. Maybe the same ppl who you are criticizing, could help you build your ideals.

BOM!

M.o.E.
Amanda
Started Topics :  6
Posted : May 12, 2004 00:23
hmmmm...brett from tibet

i am so suprised/confused with the fact you could label my set 'trauma trance' now that you have included penta on your list of producers that create uplifting moring sounds of which you adore sooooooo much. I PLAYED FOUR PENTA TRACKS DURING MY SET.

another thing: you are over exagerating when you say there were only thirty people left. in fact, you contradicted yourself in another message where you estimated there were only forty of us left (see party reviews).

please stop being so mean and hypocritical. your petty insults and one upman type comments are certainly not winning me over to the fluffy trance mornings of which you speak so highly of.

love ,
amanda (mistress of evil)
obu
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : May 12, 2004 00:30
Quote:

On 2004-05-11 23:37, BrettFromTibet wrote:

Neuromotor’s marathon “morning” set was indeed hard and driving, but not at all psychedelic or trippy in any reasonable stretch of the word (ref: Saikopod, Penta, Shpongle, Kode IV).

Im not gonna comment on the party, since I wasnt there... But....I agree with all mentions but Kode IV? More psychedelic than Fred or Amanda? Just wanna make sure I'm understanding what your saying......
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 12, 2004 00:54
off the nut boom -

I am not criticizing anyone or anything except for the decision to have Neuromotor play for 8 hours in the AM. i was once of the people dancing until the sun shone through the windows - so I was one of the "core". Trying to smile , but not finding it so easy to. I explicitly and repeatedly said everything about the party was great except for the morning music program.

amanda -
penta is dark , but I think it has some melodia and a holographic depth that I would consider to be -dark psychedelic- ..where what i heard from neuromotor I would call just 'hard trance'. i included Penta to show that I think some dark artists have some true psychedelic qualities. Grapes of Wrath is another that sounds trippy AND dark to me. but please don't play them (or Neuromotor) at 9am! sorry if i was tripping and couldn't estimate numbers perfectly

obu-

Peter Z.(Kode IV) plays 'traditionally' psychedelic late morning and afternoon sets. colorful, melodic - he is a appropriate AM DJ- and has rocked this timeslot very successfully at some of the major psy events in the world.

ahhhh\!!!!! I'm just in the wrong country. If i went to Switzerland or back to Tibet ..no one would think my ideas were radical or crazy.

----
"there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.."- The Grateful Dead
alienfreaksho:)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  23
Posted : May 12, 2004 02:07
brett from tibet you are entitled to your opinion as i am mine...

first ill say amanda rocks shes one of the best djs ive ever heard..she has so much flow and good vibes..sure the music is hard hitting and dark but come on we cant all live in a fluffy bubble all the time..expand go beyond the comfortable softness of the lighter side...i mean the people were dancing like crazy and for sure amanda drove off the dancelfloor the people who were rolling and grinding on the floor like a strip show...so for some that was a relief..guess its all perspective..

as for fred he played morning music thats what he does.. sure its driving and hard but not really dark...there were many melodies abound..and more important the dancefloor was rocking that is the point of a dj playing id say..

maybe brett you need a good shakedown every now and then,,,i find it hard to believe you found it hard to smile when so many others were...for many of us the vibration got better when amanda started..who needs familiarity this is psytrance not pop!

ps theres a goa gil party memorial day weekend give it another go..its hard not to have an amzing time!~:)

big peace!~
          freaks unite!!!!
obu
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : May 12, 2004 10:30
Quote:

On 2004-05-12 00:54, BrettFromTibet wrote:
obu-

Peter Z.(Kode IV) plays 'traditionally' psychedelic late morning and afternoon sets. colorful, melodic - he is a appropriate AM DJ- and has rocked this timeslot very successfully at some of the major psy events in the world.

ahhhh!!!!! I'm just in the wrong country. If i went to Switzerland or back to Tibet ..no one would think my ideas were radical or crazy.

I dont think your ideas are radical or crazy, thanks for clarifying. I play pretty much the same style as Peter does, so I can definetly understand where your coming from. But, to call that the appropriate AM music is a bit faulty. To many others all over the world, Fred makes morning music and trust me Ive been to places where GOW, Psycho Micro, etc. are considered morning trance. Just wanted to clear that up with ya, its just a matter of preference. A good psychedelic morning can be quite refreshing sometimes.

Boom Bro
leaetherstrip

Started Topics :  4
Posted : May 12, 2004 20:36
Hey Hey HEy can we all just get along.
What happened to freedom of speech?
Peoeple should take critism so serious its only a party.

I didnt go to the party but from looking at the flyer
looking at the line up and spending a little time in san francisco.......

One know there are some great djs and producers in SF but they are not know for creating stories or contrast between night and day, dark and light, good and evil and this what life resembles. Mostly but not all are full on psychedelic all the way and one should expect that. So is really hard to complaint when you know what will be expected at event like this. I dont know that is just my point of view doesnt mean is right or wrong just a point of view.
ohmy
Fractal Cowboys

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 12, 2004 20:55
sometimes, when you have a traumatic experience, it might alter your perceptions.

dan dn, dum, du dum da dum.

BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 12, 2004 22:05
Ohmy -

After a few months of living in Portland, I am slowly coming to understand that traumatic music "feels good" and exhilirating to people with machocistic imprints. This is not per se "bad", just starkly different than the "traditional" psy-trance vibe and culture I have experienecd elsewhere. I've also learned that
through trauma...(ie: drug burnout, depression, alcohol, listening to Fungus Funk on acid)..smiling people can take on the machocistic imprint and 'turn dark'.

As you hoped....this awareness of how trauma affects people has definately altered my perception of music and psychedelics, and trance culture a lot.

Dark vibes are particularly dominant around here, and not my cup of tea...and apparently not for the droves of artists, healers, hippies, crystal worshipers and mushroom-takers that live here. This place is loaded with psy people! You can bring them all togther (like at this event) and watch them take off once the music starts getting nasty...it repells 'em

Yes, there is a little sub-underground of darkies that love it...but the trance movement here is miniscule and unheard of..compared to somewhere Mexico, a developing country south of the border.....where they're into sounds like Eskimo, Etnica and 1200 Mics and the culture is booming and blooming and the inetrnational scene plays regularly in full force...

I definately can see many reasons...including the music style....why the psytrance scene here..... never taken off here like it has elsewhere on the planet!

anyway..thanks for your opinions....and thanks for taking the time to read mine
ohmy
Fractal Cowboys

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 12, 2004 22:27
imprinting, finally, a subject, well, that is pleasing. trance parties allow for an experience of re-imprinting your personality centers in the same way years of yoga and mantra can do.
I disagree with your pigeon holing of humans with machocistic imprinting liking traumatic music. primarily because all of us with the trance experience are blessed with opportunities to reimprint the major personality center (if you are losing me, I am referencing Gurdjev, and his theories on emotional centers). I mean, you have heard that whole rant right?

"you can be anything this time around, you can be shiva this time around, sitting around on your tiger skin, waiting for your shakti, this time around . . . you can be john and yoko this time around . . . you can be the kind of lsd, this time around, running around the world, turning people on, this time around"

what is this saying? this proverb from before all of us was born? that through this whole experience, we get to decide, no, who we are. none of us are stuck with traumatic imprinting from the misguided 70's and 80's.

Really, the only constant right now Is Change, Flux, Motion. pigeonholing, or "knowing" anything at this point can only be past referential, no?? because !now! is novel, well, in a most novel way.
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - Awakening Divine Inspiration~Portland OR~May 8 2004
← Prev Page
1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance