Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - 04/26/2008, BACK TO NATURE: PART II by PsyTribe, So-Cal Forest
← Prev Page
3 4 5 6 7 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

04/26/2008, BACK TO NATURE: PART II by PsyTribe, So-Cal Forest

kahn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 03:02
I had a blast, great party!

A few notes (if only to provide feedback to make the experience EVEN BETTER)...

Most of the night was simply amazing. Highlights of the night for me include Konflux, Dai, and Bodhi. As someone who isn't particularly a big fan of dark psy to start, I really enjoyed the offerings there. All the extra creativity, and the produced tracks being played were extra appreciated. I could feel the dark energy coming out of each and every track, and it fit the mood/vibe perfectly.

(Thanks Vasily, Bodhi (and thanks for the CD as well), and Dai!)

Meta's set, for myself, and for others was somewhat of another story, although not of any direct result of Meta himself. Now, this is not a criticism of Meta himself...

But the set was dearly misplaced in the lineup. Previously Dai had brought it up from dark psy, even giving us some nice light morning melodies to go with the beginnings of the sunrise. So, Meta ends up following with the real "Sunrise" set. We all know Meta mixes dark though, and this would have been much more pleasant to place Meta somewhere in the lineup 2am-4am, but not afterward; especially not after the Dark Psy barrier had really been broken to make way for morning beats. It just felt like we traveled back 6 hours or so when his set came on, and it didn't flow well.

As for Meta's set itself, I do have to say that it felt like it was all over the spectrum. It was of course predominantly dark, but it seemed like Meta was trying to integrate some melody/harmony into it, where it might have not otherwise fit. In addition, some of his darker psy could have been missing the extra bite. However, if this set had gone off somewhere in the early early hours of morning, as a transition of dark to light, it might have worked well.

Following Meta, it should have been a return to the psy schedule, and some nice fat morning beats. I know I might be in somewhat of a minority here, but I myself am a big fan of the morning beats (this is what I mix as well). Following these amazing dark beats from beyond, it would have been great to experience the FULL SPECTRUM of psytrance, and break all the terror and darkness of night with some happy uplifting morning full on. While it seemed like some attempt was made at this, it appeared to me (as a connoisseur of morning full on of sorts), that of all the genres covering the psy spectrum, Morning Full-On really got the shaft in this case. We got a few hints of happyness poking through during the early hours of Spyros' set (and no offense Spyros, nothing but love), but I was disappointed after hearing some amazing Full On buildups dropped back down to some more typical dark-ish/minimal basslines.

With the coming of the sun, and I was not alone in this train of thought, it would have been amazing to have some euphoric morning beats to go along with the beautiful sunrise.

Minimal melody, heavy percussion psytrance is not a substitute for happy melodic morning full on.

Of course this is not what all DJ's prefer to mix themselves, and I am all for letting DJ's control for themselves what music they play. So, if it's really an issue, book somebody who likes to play this stuff.

I would like to say, that I am a lover of ALL things psy. I can appreciate each branch of our beautiful music culture in its finest forms. I dance to Morning, Night, Dark, Light, Glitch, Prog, Downtempo... I'm a music lover.

So it would be awesome to see our beautiful parties expand into a full spectrum lineup that can give us the best of all givings from all forms of psytrance. Yes, we can have an all out lineup with the best of the best of all genres of psy!

I hope nobody takes any offense, or feels that I am being judgemental here. I had a great time, and of course will be at the next one, and so I only contribute my feedback to improve the experience for everybody in the future.
M.o.E.
Amanda
Started Topics :  6
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 05:11
sorry to have missed this one, but i had to work on sunday....hopefully i can make it next time!

(=
Bodhi 13:20
Bodhisattva 13:20

Started Topics :  38
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 05:13
This party rocked, great to see the fam out to frolic together! Much love and kisses to everyone who came and sent positive vibrations into the universe!

love RACHEY!!! (Sorry, I didn't realize I was logged in as the Bodhi-man)          info/tourdates/psy
http://soundcloud.com/Bodhi1320
http://www.facebook.com/Bodhi1320
http://www.beatspace.com
3rd Album \\\"Equations\\\" on 2to6 records
jds

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 11:03
Good times. Thanks everyone!
Meta
Meta/Boomslang

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 11:52
Thanks everyone! I got such a great response from so many of you there, it was great to talk with all of you.

I find Kahn's comments amusing as when I played at an outdoor festival in Illinois last summer, they gave me a night set and everyone said "We loved your set, but why did they put you at night? Your music is morning music". Can't please everyone I guess...
          http://soundcloud.com/aeon604
http://www.metaekstasis.com/
http://the1134.com/
kArO
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 18:56
i felt the bOom all the way in chicago! i love you guys!

PsyLight

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 19:10
Thank you Psytribe for another (eventually) great party.

Like Kahn, I have a few criticisms. First, I believe Bodhi saved us. Before Bodhi, I think the vibes were terrible. Even Belgian Goa Madness, whom I normally like, was all over this place in his set. I will not even speak about the set right before Belgian. My group of friends and I thought " They are playing THIS at a Psytribe party? How disappointing."

Another criticsm: When the Psytrance began during Belgians set, there were only a few people dancing. It appeared as if the mass of people on the floor were not from this scene. When Bodhi came on however, the Psy people appeared like vampires in the night and the other people either joined in, or went somewhere else. The criticism is this: the music before Belgian Goa Madness did not fit the forest scene, or the psytribe scene, at all!

Another huge negative, just like every Psytribe party: Barakuda. The Full On Cheese Scene. I suppose this criticism is a matter of taste. While I enjoy all psytrance, I am not a fan cheesy-ness nor of his attempts to make full on sound "epic". At least he gives us the signal when to leave the party.

Positives:
BODHI
KONFLUX
DAI!!!!
What a triple header!!!!!

For me, the experience I had during Bodhi's set was one of the greatest I have had so far at a Psy party. Everyone was stomping 100%!!! It felt incredible!!! It felt like everyone had "Psy Fever"!! Amazing set!! I have never felt so connected with everyone dancing and the digital shaman. I gave all my energy away during this set.

Meta sounded good too. However, I mostly heard that set from my truck passing in and out of consciousness as I was completely exhausted.

All in all, I had a brilliant time and for the most part, there were excellent vibes all around.
AumShantiAum
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 19:21
I feel that Meta's set was placed at a good time. You cant just go from such intricate psychedelic music to israeli full on happy melody stuff. There has to be power at sunrise and meta's set had some killer power. Meta's music isn't really dark, i call it twilight style music and i feel it fit in perfectly after dai, of course I guess it's all just a matter of opinion.

I was very very happy with the music at night. Bodhi absolutely launched me on the right trajectory and pulled me into the trance, konflux and dai kept me in the trance and psychedelic space. Meta kept things very psychedelic as well, I really dig your music man!

After Meta's set the psychedelic vibe was killed and replaced with a full-on mdma cheese vibe. And barakuda took cheese to a whole new level!! I mean there is good non cheesy full on, why can't this be played??? Oh well I had my fun at night and went exploring in the day. Over all a killer time.

Brilliant sets by Bodhi, Konflux and Dai. Happy Birthday again to Konflux and Bodhi, and Bodhi it was great to finally get to meet you!

bOM Shanti

jds

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 19:49
*giggles* at all these comments. I find dark to be the cheesiest of all but I've never let that get in the way of having a good time.

Like Meta said, you can't please everyone.

It's a party. Why anyone takes this so seriously will always, thankfully, be beyond me. LOL!
kahn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 20:47
To me, the stuff that Spyros and Barracuda were spinning wasn't REAL Melodic Morning Full On.

As far as powerful stuff at sunrise, it just means you haven't heard truly powerful happy full on. The thing about this type of psy, is that in order to truly excel, it has to be INSANELY POWERFUL. The more toned down minimal morning Full On is a bad representation of what this stuff could be.

I do agree, this is a matter of taste, and there are lot of people who simply don't like morning full on, but hey no fault there.

Matthias/Sunbyte mixes the full on I'm talking about.

And JDS...

If you notice, myself, and everybody else who has provided criticisms has stated that they all had a GREAT TIME (self included). We wouldn't say anything unless we actually cared afterall.
PsyDrama
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 21:16
While all of course are entitled to their own opinion, it is my experience that it is usually party/forum newbies who rush to post generalized statements about the quality of this or that DJ's sets. Once you have been to a few more parties you will discover the spectrum of music offered by different people, the flow of the lineup, and what suits your taste, and more importantly the etiquette of writing a party review without singling out DJs, which is not productive.

Before you say "But I have been going to parties for TWO WHOLE YEARS", consider that our trusty DJs have been listening to all kinds of music and evolving for many MANY more years, experiencing parties in other countries, developing their own style and collaborating with musicians from all kinds of genres and places.

I recommend chilling out, gaining some more experience and developing your own thoughts before posting them as firm statements, such as what is "real" or "cheesiness".

Just my 2c
alfreak
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 21:34
it was a good experience to live. had lots of fun and learn some fun stuff out there.

and about this whole full on idea that is going around..i think ur gonna have to change ur taste of music, not dance, sit , go take a nap in ur car or like whats i played.

u gotta think that ur morning full on is Not morning full on for other people and vise versa...blah blah blah too!!!!

its kinda funny that u guys have different taste of music , some "cheesy" some "dark" and still complaining about a certain thought that is not really gonna change anything but hey!! i had a great time too!!!!

peace out          -PaRtYcLeS aLL oVeR tHE WoOdS

http://soundcloud.com/odalfer
http://soundcloud.com/groups/more-techno-house-minimal-progress-ive
AumShantiAum
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 23:13
@kahn: Agreed. There are much better styles of full on out there. i.e: space tribe, electric universe, digicult, chronos, audiotec, audialize, vibe tribe. etc.

Again all opinion opinion, so everyone chill chill . The objective is trance and there is full on out there that is capable of doing this. Cheese doesnt do it for me. Again everyone has there own def. of cheese, opinion opinion this that blah blah. Faaaaaaaaaaack it, when you dont dig the music explore the forest. Cheers!!!
Subocaj

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Apr 28, 2008 23:47
I've never been to a psytribe...or any other party that played so much full-on trance before. I guess it's just not my kind of music and I was a little disturbed by it. Obviously, I know it was enjoyed by some people there...I saw people dancing on the dance floor. But it went on for hours. I think at least 5 different Djs played full-on trance, and it never really got any better. I like the cheesy stuff sometimes, but this was beyond enjoyable, fun cheese. Is this going to soon be a divide in the trance throwing parties?

Btw, the night sets thrown by Bodhi, Konflux, Dai, and Meta were absolutely amazing! I suppose that was the trade off with what was being played in the morning.           Julie ~*JacobuSubocaJ*~
subocaj@aol.com
www.facebook.com/subocaj
PsyLight

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 29, 2008 01:49
PsyDrama,

My above post is MY 2 cents, like yours. This is simply an opinion. I dont have to go to any other parties to KNOW I do not like what I do not like. I clearly said that particular criticism I had with the party is subject to individual taste.

Now, what is cheese and what is not, that is certainly debatable.

Also, if I do not single out DJ's then I cannot freely state what particular sets I enjoyed or not. Everyone has to have a critics, its a natural thing. Not everyone will like the same thing. Criticism is productive, in my opinion.
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - 04/26/2008, BACK TO NATURE: PART II by PsyTribe, So-Cal Forest
← Prev Page
3 4 5 6 7 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance