Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Younger Brother - Vaccine (Twisted Records, 2011)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Younger Brother - Vaccine (Twisted Records, 2011)

Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Sep 8, 2011 11:33:25
Younger Brother - Vaccine

Twisted Records, 2011

1. Crystalline
2. Shine
3. Pound A Rhythm
4. Safety In Numbers
5. Night Lead Me Astray
6. Train
7. Spinning Into Place
8. System 700
9. Tetris

Before "Vaccine" appeared on the market, the Younger Brother crew began their PledgeMusic action (for details please refer to the vast space of the Internet), which was to help them in releasing their newest album. Long story short: for some it is a modern form of e-begging, for others a clever way of getting funds for the release and an interesting form of promotion through the related bonus system for the people who pledge. An honorable thing, but in this particular case the result is miserable. As soon as the participants of this noble system heard the first tracks from the new album, the Internet was flooded with lots of comments like: "If I knew it would sound like that I would never have participated in this." or "I wish it was possible to un-pledge." Personally I must admit that I got the album when it leaked within the Web (by the way this is not the first time it happened in the case of Twisted Records - the problem popped up earlier with albums by Prometheus and Shpongle) out of sheer curiosity (later on I got myself the physical version). I gave it its "first flight" and that was it. I will not conceal the fact that it was a bit of a torment. There is as much of Simon Posford and Benji Vaughan in this one as there is of pig in guinea pig.

Forget about "A Flock Of Bleeps", or even the second album. "Vaccine" makes an album such as "The Last Days Of Gravity" pale as far as its innovations and new influences regarding the Younger Brother sound are concerned. The third album in this project's (now a band) discography could be as well signed under an entirely different name. It's hard to me, someone who nevertheless is trying to find some good sides, make positive comments about anything in connection to this release. "Vaccine" (for what?) bears the mark (sic) of so many boring tracks in the style of indie pop-rock that one will not find here the genius we encountered on their debut album from 2003. Because of its similarity to lots and lots of other bands of this type (with Coldplay being at the forefront), the group has lost all its uniqueness and momentum, thus the dynamics and suspense go quickly to sleep, along with the listener. It seems that there is something going on for the whole time, but the whole thing just does not add up. Maybe if this farce lasting a little over 50 minutes was devoid of the unnecessary, boring vocals by Ruu, listening to it would be a more enjoyable experience. I have not heard such a characterless voice for a long time. In each of the tracks the listener is being treated with a spineless story taken from the pages of indie rock festivals, which makes the uniqueness of the artists involved in it non-credible. I felt shock and emptiness, especially since the album was created by two men who are responsible for timeless creations within the psychedelic scene (albums like "Twisted," "The Lone Deranger", "Robot-O-Chan", "Corridor Of Mirrors", the entire Shpongle discography and the brilliant debut of Younger Brother). The album quickly makes it way to be one of the biggest disappointments of this year and I doubt that anything else will able to threaten this position. Potentially interesting sonic topics and worlds one can explore were totally ruined and squandered. Eventually the Younger Brother sound is completely unrecognizable here and it gave place to yet another musical clone. All the fun fades away along the successive feats of dubious quality performed by Ruu.

The famous words by Pablo Picasso say: "Good artists copy, great artists steal." I thought of Posford and Vaughan - especially the former one - as of great artists. According to the famous painter's saying I can label them in this particular case only as good artists, because all they could afford here was to copy others, in this case someone like Coldplay. A cool idea for the simultaneous promotion and accumulating money intended to help in releasing the album is the only thing I want to remember in connection to the "Vaccine" project. I have no doubt that Simon and Benji have put a lot heart, passion and persistence into this release. The problem is that they lost their individuality to become yet another band in the line of many other pop-rock bands. If I wanted to listen to Coldplay, I would have reached for something from their discography. If I want to listen to Younger Brother I have to go back in time. Hipsters are sure to be pissing their pants out of delight. To paraphrase the chorus in the song called "Shine": Shame, shame, shame...

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ybr/ybr1cd002.html           www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
TimeTraveller
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Sep 8, 2011 20:23
Bravo ! Your reviews are always honest ,realistic and on point.Very neutral somhow how it shoud be, no need to always praise some well known names when the music has changed into something totaly different or lost its charme.

https://soundcloud.com/shivagarden
a'damn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  89
Posted : Sep 9, 2011 00:24
It's all the bad things about late-era Pink Floyd without any of the good things of early-era Pink Floyd.

nlm - http://goaconstrictor.com v4.2
psy-goa

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 15, 2011 11:30
maybe they did it for money? i dont know but i quess that colplay earns more moneyyy than simon and benji? then as good artists they want their share... logical evolution. who doesnt want a mansion and a nice boat? maybe an island(records)... naah just kidding. and i know really, stupid joke. but forgive me i just woke up and this is deffinetly offtopic!

album just sucks. never would even give it a try if it wasnt younger brother. i wanted to be sure if i remembered right(that this sucks like old whore) and i listen to this shit right now and i hope i was more fast typing in english. fuckkk how bad can this get...

0/10
aXis
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : Oct 16, 2011 20:41
musically its awesome. but its not psy at all . its pop, wit influences from 'the wall'
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Oct 23, 2011 20:54
Stick to the reviews guys, please           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
lord_bhairava

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jan 20, 2012 07:27
well with all respect i think this new younger brother is full of ego, is not that younger brother from a flock of bleeps, its a bit pretentious trying to do a psychedelic rock band.
Transcriticism

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jan 21, 2012 00:54
I follow some of the feeds there. It's definitely not trance there, neither psychedelic. So I almost think this review should have not belonged there. That's one of the numberous cases where artists think they can cross the barriers of the genre, steal some elements from pop and rock here and there, mixed them together & think then they created an innovative sauce. But it's not...

The first two tunes are almost meaningless, nothing touching or stimulating. I don't know who can seriously enjoy them. Great disappointment for me, Younger Brother lost the magic of their first works.
Boulevard
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posted : Jan 24, 2012 07:22
I think some of the trance artist are making better music than this. This was indeed a total disappointment.
          Mushrooms make you do crazy stuff. Look at Mario he jumps on animal heads and fights with dragons.
TuneUnit

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jan 26, 2012 01:22
I liked the album very much, not at all one of the greatest, but a soft and easy album to have in the backgroud while cooking dinner or reading a book i think its sad that fans often cant seem to accept that artists might want to try new directions.. (as in new for them, not neceserily new for music in general) to me, psychedelic is partly beeing open to new and some times uncomfteble things, rather than to expect the same old.
a'damn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  89
Posted : Jan 26, 2012 08:59
Quote:

On 2012-01-26 01:22, TuneUnit wrote:
I liked the album very much, not at all one of the greatest, but a soft and easy album to have in the backgroud while cooking dinner or reading a book i think its sad that fans often cant seem to accept that artists might want to try new directions.. (as in new for them, not neceserily new for music in general) to me, psychedelic is partly beeing open to new and some times uncomfteble things, rather than to expect the same old.

OR... maybe some of us listen to a lot of high quality pop music, experimental music, psychedelic rock music, and recognize that this album is crap.           nlm - http://goaconstrictor.com v4.2
TuneUnit

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jan 26, 2012 11:20
that might just be, OR we have different taste in music?
Login
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  65
Posted : Jan 27, 2012 04:18
For all SImon has done I think I can forgive him this below average Album.

It'd not that bad, its bland coming from him and Benji, it lacks the deep and surprises of other work by them.

But I think they both are trying to making it big sometime in the future. If they wanted they could do it, but they just dont want to go full ahead, they blink eye at pop but are a little akward.

SImon is one of the few artist that after 15 years keeps developing (as with Shpongle 4). I hope is just a flip flop in its aventure in pop.           "The dedication to repetition — the search for nirvana in a single held tone or an endlessly cycling rhythm — is one of electronic music's noblest gestures."
Carbuncle

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Jan 27, 2012 18:38
This album is a total disappointment for me!

0/10
Yidam
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  144
Posted : Feb 1, 2012 12:15
I just hope they get tired of doing this and return to do Hallucinogen 3 and Prometheus 4.

Any reviews on how this albums plays out at a live show?
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Younger Brother - Vaccine (Twisted Records, 2011)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance