First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

X-Dream Live 1997 in Paris

goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 00:17
damn this is a great video... i wish there was more footage of the crowd - i know id go seriously into trance with this music... is there a tracklist anywhere or can someone make one?

this video is for artists to learn... this is psychedelic trance - and this my friends is a LIVE act!
goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 00:18
damn this is a great video... i wish there was more footage of the crowd - i know id go seriously into trance with this music... is there a tracklist anywhere or can someone make one?

this video is for artists to learn... this is psychedelic trance - and this my friends is a LIVE act!
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 03:53
sound was so good at that time...i guess it was more diffuclt to make a bad set than a good one for a dj with all the amount of good music released from 95 to 98.
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 11:07
The question is, with all the dilated music that has made the rounds since then, would people appreciate that X-Dream sound, today?
Obviously the people that have experienced them years will still like it (I assume so anyway, but assumption is th emother of all fuck ups...)...
I'm talking about the younger crowd (in age and/or "listening" years), the ones that like full on, IM, darkpsy at 160BPM, twilight/hi-tech, suomi, etc...
Do you think if some artists made a come back in the good old fashioned way and droped new music of the same "minimal" style and acidic megatons, would people rave about the music? or would they bitch about it not being "weird/twisted/psychedelic enough" due to dBlueGlitch not being available back then? Would some people that call Derango's or Atriohm's music as "forest music, think that X-Dream is not "forest" trance, even tho that style was being played at forests, left right and centre and causing havok?

P.S. No need for genre wars, just out of curiocity to hear what the people on here, think.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 11:20
when you ARE at a party and good music is beeing played people usually dance whatever shit that is beeing played. its just people here bitching the same shit day after day. Atleast in the major parts of the world, i have no idea how stuff like that would work in a candy rave pepsi skazi festival in rio or whatever.
but good psychedelic music cant be ignored if u have any serious tend to like this genre. infact, i think people that haven't heard the old gold would love to hear the real deal in a modern day festival/party. More people should dj this stuff, get it back out there.
          For Contact & Bookings:
Wizack_Booking@hotmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/wizack_Twizack
New Album Out: Wizack Twizack - IV (Ovnimoon Records 2011) http://www.beatport.com/#release/wizack-twizack-iv/387698
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Posted : Oct 25, 2010 11:45
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 11:20, Wizack Twizack wrote:
when you ARE at a party and good music is beeing played people usually dance whatever shit that is beeing played. its just people here bitching the same shit day after day. Atleast in the major parts of the world, i have no idea how stuff like that would work in a candy rave pepsi skazi festival in rio or whatever.
but good psychedelic music cant be ignored if u have any serious tend to like this genre. infact, i think people that haven't heard the old gold would love to hear the real deal in a modern day festival/party. More people should dj this stuff, get it back out there.

Well said.
More people should DJ this stuff, but more importantly, more people should make this stuff.
Speaking for my self that sound was the peak of psychedelic trance. I got into trance music at 1994 with the classic Goa tunes, but the late '90s X-Dream sound, had the cosmic vibe of Goa trance, but without the over the top melodies and whishy washiness of it. It had that monstrous drive of the X-Dream bottom end, rough leads and dark atmospheres, yet there was space in the mix to enjoy adn get lost to the music. Perfect tempo as well.

Great times!           
positive036

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 13:58

I have witnessed in a numerous large parties and festivals that crowd often can't wait to hear and dance to some classic tunes from the 90's. Whether they were played in dj sets and mixed with newer stuff, or it was some old school dj set/live set. Again, I don't think that this is some fashionable thing, more that people are bored with new released material, and a lack of ideas for the most of it, so they are turning back where it all started in a first place.

Filteria
Filteria

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 14:21
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 11:45, disco hooligans wrote:
It had that monstrous drive of the X-Dream bottom end, rough leads and dark atmospheres, yet there was space in the mix to enjoy adn get lost to the music. Perfect tempo as well.

Great times!

Agree 1000%. Too bad that only X-Dream manages to get that bottom end and that drive. But lets be honest here; the whole minimal trend came out of the radio album (more or less) and there was seriously no one else that had the drive, the effective basslines or the wonderful production of X-Dream. So they are truly one of a kind.

And btw: analog/hardware makes the sound so alive as we can witness on this video! I wish people could see how much personality the productions get with hardware. I really really wish that artists and producers would invest in hardware. This scene went downhill with the software revolution..
Procs
Procs

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 15:57
always loved x-dreams sounds!! so wonderfull... heard them plenty of times and still count many of their performances as the best live-sets up to date within this scene...
... altough, last times wasn´t as fun as before, not to fond of the whole electroish-synthish and singing of their later work.. but guess that´s up to everyones taste...

hehe.. Jannis, for sure hardware is nice.. but, I don´t think its the software that makes shitty music, its the people using it. Instead of investing in a synth and learning to make all kinds of sounds with it everyone expects getting tons of new stuff everyday and then using the presets instead of trying to figure out the synth... just my point of view.. (sorry for the off topic....)           www.procs.se
www.myspace.com/procstrance
www.myspace.com/stellarinkpony
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Posted : Oct 25, 2010 16:18
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 15:57, Procs wrote:
hehe.. Jannis, for sure hardware is nice.. but, I don´t think its the software that makes shitty music, its the people using it. Instead of investing in a synth and learning to make all kinds of sounds with it everyone expects getting tons of new stuff everyday and then using the presets instead of trying to figure out the synth... just my point of view.. (sorry for the off topic....)

+1.
It is expected when young producers download everynew soft synth for free, and instead of figuring out how deep the programming can get, they just play the presets and by the time they're done with them, a new synth comes out with new presets.
The software technology is vast and there are a lot of great sounding soft synths/ROMplers with waveforms from the minimoog, P5, JP6/JP8, TB-303, MS-20, Arp 2600, Oscar...you name it. Good enough to get a nice bottom end, and I am an avid and experienced analog synth/compressor/EQ and hardware FX fan.
In X-Dream's case, it is the minimal and extremely intelligent arrangement that lets space for the kick and bass to do their thing. They don't cram in lead after lead, glitch after glitch, cheesy rising sweep and more odd breaks than there is a constant groove going.

I don't dig the current electro-sing thing they're doing (although the Minusman tunes where the best thing in 2008), but they were (still are as The Delta, closest thing to X-Dream anyway) the masters of the "less is more" approach.

Peace out.

PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Oct 25, 2010 16:34
i have seen x dream many times too in the old day i think from 98 to 2001 or 2002 and always enjoyed their live but for me at that time we were already saying psytrance was dying, it was still good but not like in the old days, their technosih sound was not balsting dancefloor like the old stuff
it s not the kind of music that make people shoot non stop ,you see what i mean, it was a more progressive trance .
see their old set like in the video, i would love to come back to these days and get there.. i never seen dancefloor like that on their technoish sound even if it was still good.
i always enjoyed their live but like many other artists i regret i haven t seen them in 96/97.
here in paris ,98 was really the year were everyhting went wrong to me, the music flow was more progressive and ppl just stoped enjoying it,the old sound was all about sharing while the new stuff was more a personal thing, a trip with yourself and to me it didn t worked at all here
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Oct 25, 2010 17:21
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 14:21, Filteria wrote:

And btw: analog/hardware makes the sound so alive as we can witness on this video! I wish people could see how much personality the productions get with hardware. I really really wish that artists and producers would invest in hardware. This scene went downhill with the software revolution..

i think the same too ,i don t argue it s impossible to make great music with software but using a hardware rig you end up with a different sound ,a sound that touch me more ,while i find software more sterile and lifeless.
i think it s not cause only the synths used (cause many use virus nords .. and still get the same sound as software), it come from using some other processing too, like a desk and his eq , maybe a hardware sampler and other stuff..it s all the chain that contribute to get that less sterile sound in my experience.
Filteria
Filteria

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 17:50
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 16:18, disco hooligans wrote:

+1.
It is expected when young producers download everynew soft synth for free, and instead of figuring out how deep the programming can get, they just play the presets and by the time they're done with them, a new synth comes out with new presets.
The software technology is vast and there are a lot of great sounding soft synths/ROMplers with waveforms from the minimoog, P5, JP6/JP8, TB-303, MS-20, Arp 2600, Oscar...you name it. Good enough to get a nice bottom end, and I am an avid and experienced analog synth/compressor/EQ and hardware FX fan.

Peace out.

I think it's only in the electronic scene where people think it's alright to produce with software synths. It would be fun to ask some rockers if they would like to work with virtual guitarist instead of the real deal

I can assure you that if you put 2 korg ms20 or 2 Arp 2600 next to eachother they won't sound the same. It's thousands of transistors and resistors inside that will affect the sound. Other things such as: how much the unit has been used, the temperature of the room etc also affect the sound. Not to forget: you have to record the sound into the computer. Maybe its going through a mixer that will colour your sound. It will go into your AD-converter and that will also colour the sound. All this create something personal. YOUR sound. And personal sounds is what's really lacking in the scene today. Now lets try Korgs legacy collection. It's going to sound the same in every computer in the world. You are already more limited in your quest of being "unique".

I was speaking about "alive" productions and personality.

Do you think its coincidence that everything started to sound the same when the software revolution began? Not only in the psyscene but pretty much in every electronic scene. There HAS to be a connection. How is it possible that the majority of the productions today has the same eq/compressor settings with equally loud combo of bassline/kick etc? You are a producer, so you know there are millions of parameters to change. Yet, most productions sound like they came from the same computer. Sure, the users are also to be blamed that don't make a bigger effort. They get everything served in a way.

A track is something complex. We have the sounds (leads, pads, kick, bass etc), the arrangment and the mixing. This will sound stupid, but somehow, none of these stuff exist today. Feels like there is some file somewhere with everything ready. It's nearly impossible that so many artists sound
so close to eachother. Especially in the mixing part! Mixing is far to complex to have 200 fullon artists with the same production. If they would use some analogue stuff (a mixing desk, some synths, anything!) I can garantue that it would be very different..

But I have to agree that its always the user in the end. Its just that I truly believe that hardware has something more to offer. Always IMO

Peace mate
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Oct 25, 2010 18:00
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 17:50, Filteria wrote:

Do you think its coincidence that everything started to sound the same when the software revolution began? Not only in the psyscene but pretty much in every electronic scene. There HAS to be a connection. How is it possible that the majority of the productions today has the same eq/compressor settings with equally loud combo of bassline/kick etc? You are a producer, so you know there are millions of parameters to change. Yet, most productions sound like they came from the same computer. Sure, the users are also to be blamed that don't make a bigger effort. They get everything served in a way.

what i find funny is cause of everyone sounding the same now many procuders are wondering what they are doing wrong when they sound different.it make things even more worst ,pushing always more into cloning.
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Oct 25, 2010 18:15
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 11:07, disco hooligans wrote:
The question is, with all the dilated music that has made the rounds since then, would people appreciate that X-Dream sound, today?
Obviously the people that have experienced them years will still like it (I assume so anyway, but assumption is th emother of all fuck ups...)...
I'm talking about the younger crowd (in age and/or "listening" years), the ones that like full on, IM, darkpsy at 160BPM, twilight/hi-tech, suomi, etc...
Do you think if some artists made a come back in the good old fashioned way and droped new music of the same "minimal" style and acidic megatons, would people rave about the music? or would they bitch about it not being "weird/twisted/psychedelic enough" due to dBlueGlitch not being available back then? Would some people that call Derango's or Atriohm's music as "forest music, think that X-Dream is not "forest" trance, even tho that style was being played at forests, left right and centre and causing havok?

P.S. No need for genre wars, just out of curiocity to hear what the people on here, think.

i m not sure tbh..in some parties over the years i have heard few old school sets and to me it was not that great, it was like it s the old sound and don t have much is place anymore.even if i heard some of my favorite tunes it was just not the same as in the past and the new generation seemed like they don t give a fuck about it.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - X-Dream Live 1997 in Paris
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance