Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Wrecked Machines - Second Thought (Spun, 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Wrecked Machines - Second Thought (Spun, 2005)

lazy_i
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Mar 17, 2005 09:55
Artist: Wrecked Machines
Title: Second Thoughts
Format: CD
Label: Spun
Cat. #: SOLMC049
Distribution: Spun, Solstice
Date: March, 2005

So here is the second artist album by Wrecked Machines. Not my most anticipated album but still he’s interesting enough to see evolve, while lately he has produced stuff that is too heavily spun-influenced compared to his beginnings. Good cover-work…

1) Rubberneck
Smooth start, deep morning sounds with the usual heavy beat/ base combo. Atmospheric sounds and a slow buildup. Finally things get interesting during the break after 4 minutes, when he brings in this spooky melody in waves and you get the feeling things are finally getting serious- close your eyes and you’re in an outdoor festival. Unfortunately he doesn’t build on that and goes back to repetitive sounds (goddamnit). Lacks power to start off a set.

2) Spotless Mind (w/ Nick Laniado aka Panick)
More interesting work on the percussion at the beginning here. The Panick influence is felt right away with the background noises. It then goes on with some sub6-style synth work. Atmospheric groove like the first track and frankly not different enough, it seems to me that the past couple of collaborations Panick has done, he has not brought out his full potential. Again it lacks true power although good for a morning set.

3) A Team (w/ GMS & Pixel)
Again this same synth to start off. I like the snare work here, gives the track a nice push forward. Now the album almost gets boring, until about 4 minutes into the track when they start bringing more attention-grabbing melodies- definitely GMS there. Things are finally starting to make sense, in a smooth kind of way.

4) Relation Chip (w/ Pixel)
I like the name of this track… eheheh… More interesting bass work, gives it a nice profound groove. I’m getting the feeling Gabriel doesn’t like melodic music, so he gives us repetitive pieces of unfinished work. So far, the cd is a smooth trip, nothing too out of the ordinary, like you are in a fragile bubble he is afraid will pop if something too crazy happens.

5) Accustix (w/ Bansi)
Good intro, with some distorted voices giving away the rhythm and hopefully the driving force of the track- we’ll see. Finally more exciting work, but it gets a little too toned down. This one great for a morning set. Bansi gives the melody at about 3 minutes into the track and gives a new driving force. Things finally start getting a little bit crazier here in a GMS kind-of-way. Those voices are definitely nicely exploited giving a good rhythm but it ends too soon- we haven’t been completely released here.

6) Tension Sheet (w/ Domestic)
Now here comes Domestic, good intro… nice background work, gives you quite a bit to hope for; it grabs you and shakes you around, if you know what I mean. Things fall back to a smooth groove. Something positive though- the never ending bass line is efficient for good dancing. Again, we’re left a bit unsatisfied.

7) Tingling Sensation (original by Shanti Matkin… rmx)
I am not familiar with the original so forgive me but no basis for comparison here my friends. The intro is pleasant and has perhaps the most powerful opening beat till now. I like the robotic synth work and he finally manages to give us some good old fashioned confusion with his melodies. Great groove here, this one makes me want to get out my dancing shoes and fly away. Gets a little housy towards the end.

8) Rhapsodie (w/ the Antidote)
Good percussion work but again something missing with the melodies- too repetitive and not enough craziness. Not much else to say, very similar to rest of the album so far. I thought the antidote would have had the cure, but they stay in his trip too much.

9) Check In
Break beats to start off and electro voices, nice nice nice. Trippy background helps you get in a trance from the get go. More enveloping than the rest so far, you get a feeling almost of relief like this artist was meant to work alone in order to expose us to the full range of his skills. Very nice indeed, the galloping feeling is nicely worked.

10) Trancespoting (w/ Domestic & Pixel)
Remix to that trainspotting song (I forget the artist; you know the one in the bathtub in the video?). Some serious beat here. I always loved the singing in the original and they kept it as it was, with the melody and all, which is a somewhat appropriate cut and paste for once… I love how it fits with their beat/ bass/ snare combo. Perhaps the most surprising track of the cd as they give several changes in direction. This one will get played a whole lot.

Conclusion- Somehow it’s too bad that he has become a formula artist; he doesn’t explore the boundaries as much as his earlier work, which I thought was pretty daring and more stimulating. It sounds a lot like Pixel’s album although I must say I preferred Pixel’s. And this guy has lots of potential so let’s hope he goes back to producing more ‘his’ music. Perhaps I am in just in strong disagreement with artists going more minimal, I need more melodies and also maybe too proggy for me. Then again, I feel this album screams to be played at high volumes in outdoor settings to get the full prospect.

On a more positive note, this album is very relaxed; you almost get this lazy feeling listening to it, very atmospheric and groovy. Some tracks are good dance floor material with a dreamy edge?!?

I recommend you get this if you liked the Pixel, sub 6 albums and if you’re into spun releases. Good background music for home-listening but probably more of a dance-floor production, to be played late mornings. Sounds pretty Israeli for a Brazilian wanderer.

Favorite tracks: 3, 5(!), 7, 9, 10(!)

Rating: 8/10 (excellent production but lacks creative edge)
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Mar 17, 2005 11:41
Haven't heard it yet. Where did you buy/listen to it?? But to answer the question about the Trancespotting song: it's probably just a remix of Underworld's Born Slippy song. Underworld was still a trio of guys then (now they're two guys).           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
lazy_i
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 17, 2005 12:00
yep, you got it it is the underwolrd track...

i bought it in tokyo, so I guess i got lucky on my last shopping spree before leaving... kinda sucks it's not out in the rest of the world yet, sorry...
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Mar 17, 2005 16:54
god damn japan.... is it cause of the time diffrence? hehehe.. anyway - sounds like a solid album - im a bit dissapointed by the comment lazy_i said about being lacking in creative edge - i felt that in the first album - but since i have enjoyed (especially collabs.) alot of WM. good review lazy_i.........
looking forward - any word on when is the release in the known world?           "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
dipo

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 17, 2005 19:07
I like this cd very much... Wrecked Machines is now our best artistic in the trance scene... But be attention to the new brazilians live generation that's coming now => Tactical Strike, V-Storn, Espereança, Skulptor and many others... Peace !!!

Bye
Tila

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Mar 17, 2005 23:01
Spotless Mind is my favorite track on this release. Gabe´s quality + Nick´s creativity.
lazy_i
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 18, 2005 05:53
Alright, upon listening to the album a couple of more times, I have to take back my comment on the creative edge- it is an excellent cd, great morning material and it deserves an 8.5/10... i guess it's just one of those that needed to grow on me a bit more... enjoy
Adi-Quantize
Quantize

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Mar 18, 2005 20:20
u said it lazy
i reely liked 5 to 8 the rest of the albaom was to melodic for me but thats my personal taste.
great great production works damm good on the dancefloor.
cheers gabi keep it up
adi
Xtc's

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Mar 20, 2005 19:16
WOW, this cd is just great. Wrecked Machines is now one of the best acts in psytrance 4 me, and with this prodution he proves it. Very full on and great production in this one. Im sure this cd will be killing a lot of dancefloors around the world.
groovypato
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 21, 2005 03:43
great morning sounds from gabe on these album...
i don't agree on the stuff about lack of creativeness... I think that these one is yet better than the first one (Blink).
All these tracks work pretty well the dancefloor, and most of then are great to hear at home as well!
Number 3 has got some pretty weard effects which i like a lot.
The only track that i didn't like is number 8 cuz i'm not so into antidote's style!

All in all, this album is great, and worthy to buy! Keep up the good work Gabe!! We're very proud of u!! rate 9/10
gandharva
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Mar 22, 2005 02:34
in my opinion you cant even compare this album with the first one this is one more ,just one more release for spun records ,gms taste the same and same full on. has a matter of fact why tha hell trance tracks looks always the same!!!???this is getting so boring and im not talking only for this album im talking for the latest releases every sounds looks the same with the same bass line.in this look like music i find good releases in vibe tribe album and altom
Dibu-Tonic

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Mar 22, 2005 07:46
GREAT album, it's full on but quality full on, without saturate the tracks

one of the best of the 2005
Timelock
Timelock

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 22, 2005 14:41
very good work by gabe!!!

cheers
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Mar 22, 2005 23:04
My review:
Lots of collaborations in this album, let’s see what we have here:

1 - Rubberneck: After the weak start, Gabe tried a little harder and at one point this track sounds like it's gonna turn out to be something good, but it seems he lost it. Someone must make a remix of this one.

2 - Spotless Mind: Much more interesting than the first one, this track is steady. Nice track.

3 - A Team: Good track, you can hear the influence of Pixel and GMS. Groovy. It has some synths that makes if slower… Sounds nice, but nothing special.

4 – Relation Chip: Some good ideas, but IMO too many breaks… Nothing special.

5 – Accustix: This track is really good, but could be even better, because the end is not at the same level of the rest. My favorite.

6 – Tension Sheet: Good, much more steady than Relation Chip, but still lacking a good end.

7 – Tingling Sensations: Remix to the overplayed track by Shanti, this one is different from the original and as groovy as the original, in another words: good remix.

8 – Rhapsodie: Good build up at 4:50… but the track is repetitive and not too psychedelic.

9 - Check in: Good track. Good samples, ripped from the Cosma CD:

"There is no light, but there is sound,
felt through his hundred cells.
The cells pulse...
This is now the basis of his being... The flow."

This track is nice.

10 – Trancespotting: I can’t endure these remixes anymore, please give me a break, I have to listen to it for more than 3 years! I want something PSYchedelic!

What does this mean: in terms of production, this album is top notch. If you like to play groovy sets (stuff like Triptych, etc), this album can be interesting for your sets. If you’re looking for highly psychedelic music or crazy full on stuff, I don’t think this is the one.

Veredict: Just what I was expecting from an Wrecked Machines album.
Respect!
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Mar 23, 2005 00:35
where can i purchase this cd ? i tried every webshop but the cd isn't out yet
thanks
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Wrecked Machines - Second Thought (Spun, 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance