Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kemic-Al - Twisted Parameters (Butterfly Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Kemic-Al - Twisted Parameters (Butterfly Records 2005) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Jan 10, 2005 17:25
Kemic-Al – Twisted Parameters

Cover: http://www.wirikuta.at/media/BTFCD01g.jpg

Artist: Kemic-Al (Malta)
Title: Twisted Parameters
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Butterfly Records (Malta)
Cat. #: BTF CD 01
Distribution: Wirikuta
Date: 13 January 2005

Track listing:

01. 08’52” 1888 A.C. Train to Madness
02. 09’02” What Lies in the Shadows
03. 08’21” Piskumany
04. 07’50” Wake Up Call
05. 08’45” Peace on Earth Remix
06. 08’23” Batidas Por Minuto
07. 07’47” Twisted Parameters
08. 09’23” Klassic-Al
09. 05’42” Z.Zora

Review:

Feast on this: Mediterranean chemicals!

Meet Aldo Lombardi – a 37 year old psychedelic trance-head from Malta. That’s right – Malta! This is the first Maltese psy-release ever – released on the first Maltese psy-label. Thus Butterfly Records may not sound like a very original name for a new record label, the background is tragic: the death of Sharyn ‘the butterfly girl’ – hence the name Butterfly Records. Aldo is a veteran in the trance trade, formerly known as Zaldonite. His biggest inspiration for creating music is his girlfriend Marie Clarie… Music wise the biggest source for inspiration is psychedelic rock and the masters Pink Floyd in particularly… Let’s find out what Malta has to offer…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: 1888 A.C. Train to Madness [138 BPM]
All aboard this psycho-train heading for madness! The dark, gloomy industrial intro is soon brutally shredded by the meanest bassline this side of the Mediterranean… Holy shit – this has got to be among the meanest, darkest teKk-trance I’ve heard since the Spirallianz/Midi Miliz era… Crude Boskhe-fodder… The ‘lazy’ bpm just adds to the horror-atmosphere along with the undecipherable monster-samples… Anti-melodic, minimalist terror-trance for the darkest moments of the night… Sweet! =D

#02: What Lies in the Shadows [138 BPM]
“I am not who you think I am!” We get off the train now, and find out what’s lurking in the shadows… Another techy, deeply industrial-sounding noisy night-tune… Repetitive, dirty, gritty, dark – and funky as hell… Check out the spooky wolf-howling samples…! Make sure you have a proper sound system – this tune will challenge your set-up! Raw and wriggling – like Gollum’s taste in fish!

#03: Piskumany [146 BPM]
“At the beginning of the twenty-first century, the Umbrella Corporation had become the largest commercial entity in the United States. Nine out of every ten homes contain its products. It's political and financial influence is felt everywhere. In public, it is the worlds leading supplier of: Computer Technology, Medical Products, and Healthcare. Unknown to even its own employees, its massive profits are generated by: Military Technology, Genetic Experimentation and Viral Weaponry.” After a lengthy Resident Evil sample, we’re shifting into faster territory now – as the bpm indicator suggests… Apparently Piskumany is a word the daughter of Aldo’s girlfriends’ sister (!) made up, and used to furiously shout out when she was angry… And now, that word has been immortalized as a track-name… ;o) This is night-time hyper-trance… Digital farts, electronic burps, tweaking acid-lines and subtle guitars – alongside a twisted bassline! What else can you ask for? Reminds me a little of Rinkadink, only darker… Very cool track!

#04: Wake Up Call [146 BPM]
Good morning! Someone’s drinking coffee in the intro here… And the courtesy “ahhh” is sampled and used several times + some genuine yawning… Hehe – nice one Aldo! Time to wake up - this track incorporates the call-back message from the local Maltese phone company wake-up service… @ 4’20 everyone should be awake – this stuff will kick you right out of bed! Twisted, shifting, bubbling, vibrant psy-trance here… Like a cross between the Timecode & Parvati sound – with bastard influences from Ørebro, Australia and the Ruhr-district! Brilliant!

#05: Peace on Earth Remix [145 BPM]
“The universe grows smaller every day…Join us – life in peace!” Peace on Earth – now there’s a topic everyone can relate to… Parts of this track showcase the slightly more melodic side of Aldo’s talents… Not melodic in a melodic kinda way – just a tad more melodic compared to the previous tracks… This is still very much dark, deep night-trance – with the Maltese touch! Come to think of it, this is not peaceful at all – this is some severely fucked-up brutal shit! … And that’s meant as superlatives! The track draws to a close with the voice of Kevin Spacey in K-Pax “You humans – sometimes it’s hard to imagine how you’ve made it this far” Another sweet track!

#06: Batidas Por Minuto [148 BPM]
Skazi – this is how you use a guitar in creative way! Batidas Por Minuto translates into ‘beats per minute’ – and this track has 148 of those, so yeah, it’s another brutal noise attack... Aldo is playing around with filters here – slowly adding layers with different psychedelic FX… Guitars, percussion, stomping bass and some mean-ass synths… This track has an interesting composition – the beats are cut and it’s like constantly something is lurking under the surface waiting to be unleashed… That ‘held-back’ technique is very effective in creating a mesmerizing track… I like all the nifty little FX that are sprinkled around the track: Acid galore, digital birds, etc… Highly psychedelic trance here… Very tasty!

#07: Twisted Parameters [148 BPM]
“Do you like to watch? … Come and find out!” Yeah baby, don’t we all? Some horny chick is trying to mess with your emotions here… Don’t let her get to you! Aldo does his best to save us here – with sharp, metallic hisses and haunting, scary pads creating an overall spooky atmosphere… Again! This track has a certain drive that I really like – it’s kinda purposive… The flow here is very focussed, and at 148 beats per minute, it’s done at an incredible rate… But beware, there is something disturbing about this… Slightly perverted even! Aaargh, I fear to watch, yet I cannot look away… She got to me!

#08: Klassic-Al [148 BPM]
“You don’t like it; you can kiss my furry little butt!” Ahh, the odd-ball track… Check out the very cool piano-intro – brutally interrupted by one of the most twisted basslines I’ve heard in a long time… This is soo repulsive – it almost has a physical effect on me when played loud… I love it! ;o) Soon it’s time for some fun - This is obviously a piss-take on Aldo’s behalf… Trumpets, jazzy atmosphere, etc… We’re really exposed to this guy’s immense talent now – he intelligently incorporates the familiar melody from Mozart’s Für Elise – creating a no less than AMAZING track… Hands down, the best track here! Magical!

#09: Z.Zora [90 BPM]
And finally it’s time for some chilling… This reminds me of the chill-track of the Digital Talk album – which is spooky chill! This is deep, heavy, dubby chill… Created to let you catch your breath again, but still puzzle you – leave you with a ‘what-the-fuck-just-hit-me?’ goodbye greeting… Very nicely done – very well-fitting outro-track for a truly impressive album! The track finished off with another lengthy Resident Evil sample: “The Hive has its own defence mechanisms... all computer-controlled. A nerve gas was released into the house. Primary effect of the gas: complete unconsciousness, lasting anything up to four hours. Secondary effects are varied but can include acute memory loss. For how long? Subjective. An hour, day, week. So you're saying this place was attacked? I'm afraid things area little more complicated than that… Sir! We've breached the Hive.”

Well, this album was definitely a big surprise for me… A big positive surprise! Judging by the name Kemic-al, I was afraid this was another boring Skazi-clone… But luckily I was proven wrong… Very wrong! This is among the finest darkish night-time trance I’ve heard for some time… I’m no technical buff, but to me the production and mastering sounds like a lot of effort has gone into it… And I’m even more impressed that this is a debut album!

The sound spectre is very impressive here – though mostly dark hyper-trance, we get hints of other styles ranging from full-on to dub, and from tech-trance to melodic goa in the good old sense… Diversity rules! Also this has it’s own, unique sound – one of the many cool features is the way Aldo ends his tracks – it’s usually 10-20 seconds of added value fun… Playing around… Nice!

Aldo is a busy man, and the second album is already in the pipeline – along with upcoming compilation tracks on Alkaloid Rec., Golden Dawn Rec., Temple Twister Rec., Trishula Rec. & Disco Valley Rec… Fans of these labels have something to look forward too – as do anyone else interested in intelligent night-time music… This album rocks! Highly recommended!

Favourites: 1, 3(!), 4, 6, 7, 8(!!!)

DeathPosture

External links:
Kemic-Al: http://www.kemic-al.com
Wirikuta: http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detail.jsp?showDetail=67823
Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4551
Beatspace: http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=1497

Should also be available @ Psyshop.com and ChaosUnlimited.co.uk shortly!          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Memory Loss
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  103
Posted : Jan 10, 2005 18:50
Iam Waiting For That CD Long Time!!
This Is True Psychedelic Music,In Very Creaitiv Way!
Alot Of New Ideas Tricks And Stuff That Aldo Made For Us!!
Waithing For The 13.1!!!
Great Review Like Alweys           Skate 0R Die
FrodOhm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Jan 10, 2005 19:42
DeathPosture, im repeating myself when i says this... allways a pleasure reading your reviews, you have one hell of a way putting those words you use into a good review!
Exelent!!!!!!!
About the cd, Highly creative music!!! Something new and diffrent from all the other dark releases the past time!!
Aldo,You sure did one hell of a job on the Remastering!!ToP NOTCH!!!
As for my favorite tracks here:
Piskumany
Wake Up Call
Peace on Earth Remix************No Words!
Batidas Por Minuto
Twisted Parameters *************Grrrrr..
Klassic-Al *********************Masterpiece!

i know you have more stuff up your sleeve coming out theese days!!! simply cant wait for it!

Best of luck and most of all congratulation on your first album!!:)

alien-ated

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jan 11, 2005 08:08
very nice review
i should get ma hands on this cd           ~~~ Save the Humans ~~~
Fuzulu
Fuzulu

Started Topics :  58
Posted : Jan 11, 2005 22:13
amazing cd this one ... kemic al is the new super artist around .. thank god DeathPosture posted the review 4 this cd
-Rudra-

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jan 12, 2005 22:18
Very innovative & fresh sounds. Thanks for the great album           www.trishula-records.com
www.trishula-media.com
www.ajana-records.com
Noise Poison Records
Noise Poison Records

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jan 13, 2005 14:58
DeathPosture
always a pleasure to read your reviews !
respect !!!
BooM           I just came out, cause it seems there was a noise outside ! .... added to Parvati Records rooster .. check webside !!!
http://www.parvati-records.com
http://www.noise-poison.com
http://www.myspace.com/dj_ilse
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Jan 14, 2005 04:34
seems the mastering is off a bit? some tracks are full and rich sounding, some are more tinny and the last track just blows out the levels more. otherwise great tunes for the most part! im gonna give it another go soon, it has some fierce power.
          www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
Butterfly Records
Butterfly Records

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jan 14, 2005 13:24

Hola Hola Guys this is some breath taking review Mr.DeathPosture it made me go back to listen to the CD again after I have heard it about a million time ... Thanks for a wonderful Review !!!

and many thanks to all who has replied too !! which that brings me to Clarify some things for you and for bluespectralmonkey about the resent promo-version album re mastering of the cd,

Unfortunatly we had some problems with that version with the recording of the CD and also regarding sound quality. !

But I strongly stress that the NEW RETAIL VERSION does indeed have a proper pressing and also mastering !!! as some of you have allready noticed

So I strongly suggest that IF any of you finds any problems with the PREVIOUS version PLEASE Contact me personaly !

Thanks and continue to ENJOY the TRIP

Aldo

http://studio-construction.blogspot.com/

NEW KEMIC-AL ALBUM IS COOKING !

http://www.myspace.com/butterfly_records http://www.myspace.com/kemicalbutterflyrecords[/b]
exotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  200
Posted : Jan 14, 2005 13:27
thAT review makes me want that cd so bad

intelligent dark groovy twisted trance

i'm in           missing plug-in
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Jan 18, 2005 06:58
thanks for your quick attention aldo, it seems i was hearing an early version of the release and i didnt realise... ive been playing the cd around the house all week and seriously enjoying it. its worth every penny especially if you made it sound BETTER, it deserves to be blasted!!!
some very awesome soundscapes here, stomping hard.
anyone into this style would do well to have it in your case.
          www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
goa-ganges
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  66
Posted : Jan 18, 2005 11:08
Hi Aldo, great album. Will be my first this year.I bet it will make among the best 2 in 2005. What I liked best was you trying to bring some freshness to this scene. I may be mistaken but I don't say this album is a tech-trance one, but a mix of the best danceable sub-genres. Loved the acidness in some tracks.
Congratulations! I give a 10 out 10.

Peace and Love
Kerberos
Kerberos
Started Topics :  14
Posted : Jan 18, 2005 20:18
greatone i heard the samples of the Cd and it sounds realy interesting for me ... i think i will buy this album for sure ... keep this crasy style Aldo and rock the floors everywhere you play mate !!!

peace & respect from Berlin to Malta !!!

cyaaaaa

-------------------------------------------------------
~ Segway Platform gives Mechanoids Motion ~ ©
-------------------------------------------------------
Linus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Jan 19, 2005 14:22
Really good album this one... Intelligent music, really something different from todays regular productions.
Good luck in the future my man=)
Noise Poison Records
Noise Poison Records

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jan 25, 2005 15:13
yes Sir.....
after I recieved my copy and listen to it first, I felt from the beginning, this is one to take attention on.
This release is different from the darker styled trance nowadays, and its filled with very sweet ideas. The production is surprisingly very solid for a new label which first release is an artist album ! RESPECT !.....
If you take time to listen to this disc, you will be amazed from the trip Aldo delights us with and appreciate it more than others, I am sure!
Keep it up like this !
Cheers           I just came out, cause it seems there was a noise outside ! .... added to Parvati Records rooster .. check webside !!!
http://www.parvati-records.com
http://www.noise-poison.com
http://www.myspace.com/dj_ilse
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kemic-Al - Twisted Parameters (Butterfly Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance