Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Son Kite - Colours (Digital Structures)

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Son Kite - Colours (Digital Structures)

aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 14:13
Im surprised no one has reviewed this one yet, so i'll do the honours. Son Kite has been one of my favorite artists since Knob Adjustment, and what i like most about them is that they constantly develop. If you compare their three albums, there is definitely a red line going through all of them, but every one explores completely new territory. This album is the most "musical", with many more melodies, as could have been expected from their last 12" releases and remixes. Like "perspectives of..." this album tells a story, no two tracks sound alike and their is something for every taste, but like I said every track except no. 4 is still clearly recognizable as son Kite. The tracklist goes as follows:

1. Other side
2. Focus
3. On air
4. Games and Watch
5. Let us be
6. The stars within us
7. Jukebox
8. Made to move
9. Colours

Since music is emotional, I will not give a technical describtion of each track, just what came to mind while listening:

1) Other Side: After a long intro a nice pumping son kite baseline starts the journey. those baselines are son kites signature for me, so it is only fitting that this is how we start. an analogue/ electroish "riff" or whatever you call it leads us along, and you will see that that electro influences are used with great skill throughout the whole album. This track is a sunny morning groover with those tweedly son kite sounds ( i guess made by the infamous violin) and a great happy jumpy atmosphere. A great start.

2 Focus: Now this is the mother of all baselines!!!!!!!!!!!! Supported by plastic tomdrums or whatever you call them, driving percussions and some nice pads, this one has son kite written all over it. No one does these grooves better. Intense. But it gets only more intense during the break. Electrosynths a la Tomcraft come in and when the the sick groove kicks, every body has to jump up and dance. This will rock many dancefloors, for sure!!!

3) On Air: Superb track, read the reviews of the On air single for further details.

4)Games and Watch: Well, I dont know what to make of this one. this is actually morning full-on and sounds like astrix sat in the studio. its exactly the kind of baseline I hate, not my cup of tea, definitely the worst track here.

5)Let us Be: But that doesnt matter, cause here comes the best track! Just beautiful, thats all i can say. Old Goa feeling, the most beautiful female sample I have ever heard. I love the way it switches from distorted to not distoreted and left to right. There are some very cool synths flying around, this is the most emotional track ive heard in a long time. There a lot of posts on here asking where the old goa vibe is, all i can say is that Son Kite found it!!

6)The Stars within us: This one is an electroish shaker, vibrating baseline, very analogue sounding, great dancefloor material. It sounds early 90's with new millenium sound quality. For sure it will blow some speakers with that massive breakdown.

7) Jukebox: The most hypnotic track and one of my favorites. It has a really cool male vocal samples that is constamtly repeated, it reminds me of Midi Miliz "Stars". Also has a strong early nineties feeling to it, this is true trance in the original sense of the word. I wish more music like this would be produced today. Tunnelvision!!

8) Made to Move: This is the one that reminds me the most of time when Son Kite started. Crazy percussion, analogue sounds, and yes, it is clearly audible that Son Kite are big Der dritte Raum fans, a hint of Trommelmaschine here and there can never hurt. I love to dance to this kinda music. When Son Kite started they used to be all about the percussion, now that changed, so its great to have this track on here.

9) Colours: This slow groover is the perfect end to the album. Nice groove, those tweedly Son Kite sounds, pads, cool percussion, indeed a very colourful track. Something for dreamers, would mix perfectly with Nomas "Another Time" and "Soon". Great Job!

To sum it up, except track 4 this is a complete journey. It definitely has an old school early 90s trance feeling to it, especially tracks 5-9, but of course the procution is todays quality. Finally something that can be called real trance in the original sense of the word, i highly recommend this to every one and their mama.

Seb and Marcus canbe proud to have accomplished something amazing here that trancends time and genres. It is their best work so far and im sure this is one trance release that will stand the test of time and become a classic!!           Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Apr 16, 2004 17:09
I dont think im doing this album justice if i dont say something about the packaging, too, because its great. This album is part of the "Colours" concept, and this is the colour green. the album comes with a really cool booklet, that explains their thoughts about their work and some really cool photos, my favourite being the one thats also on the back side of the cd cover where they are flying a kite in a cloudy swedish landscape. Reminds me of Henning Mankells Wallander Crime Novels, which are set in the same part of sweden Son Kite are from ( its always cloudy and foggy in the stories)

And it comes with a green son kite sticker, the single came with a blue one, i guess there will be two other ones for all the collectors. This colours concept is cool, these guys put a lot of work and thought into it, talking about "added value", this is the way to make people buy cds!!!
          Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
goswami

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 18:01
Respect to the REview and to the soUND of the ALbum !!

I was missing progressive like this....Total bEautifull sounds in here.....making u fly like in the gooood old times( !!!!!) and making u YOUNG AGAIN!! Music for the soul !!!

nUmber 5 and nUmber 10 was the ones i have better MOMENTS !! BUT ALL TRAcks are great works !!! RESPECT !!!

Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 18:19
Ooooh sounding good, very good!
Should be in my post tomorrow morning! =)

Good review Aje
Seb
Son Kite

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 18:36
Thanks Aje ... couldn't ask for a better review ... and I'm of course really happy that you like the music, packaging and the feeling of the concept.

Goswami! You make me very curious ... there are only 9 tracks on the album ... hmmm .... how can you enjoy the 10th track the most????

Ciao

seb
          Smile!
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 18:46
I'm gonna get this one pretty soon. I like all of your releases so far Seb. I also own the Ooze album from Spirit Zone, which is totally chilled out... Looking forward to receiving my copy of this album soon (I'm gonna order it one of these days.) What I've heard so far on Psyshop has made me even more anxious... Jukebox.. juicy vibes on that one...           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Apr 16, 2004 19:05
Thanks, Seb... couldn't ask for a better album           Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
Mammoth Hunter

Posted : Apr 16, 2004 19:57
aje, you're the man! another very nice review!

I've been waiting for a new Son Kite album for sooo long, now that it's out, it is kind of surreal. Anyways, mine is in the mail, I can't wait to get my ears on it!

The Spring of Great Releases has finally arrived! This one promises to be another trend-setting year in the mold of 2001.

P.S. Please don't make us wait three more years for another album. if I have to wait that long, I'll be too damn old by the time the next one is released.
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 20:16
9.5/10, amazing. No words, those melodies and drums who simply make you smile, and you seem to have much better day. I knew son kite wouldn't disappoint.
goswami

Posted : Apr 16, 2004 21:11
HEHHEHE

THE 9th ( last one) DOC SEB !!!

BOOOM !!
russ
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 22:27
Flashback: I heard a new album called "Minilogue" the night I was packing my bags to head down to South Africa for 2000 millenium party and kept on pushing repeat. At the party I thought all the big names kind of bored me, but then on the final afternoon george barker played a track from minilogue and i was instantly mesmorized. Like Aje, "Knob Adjustment" and other early tracks changed my ideas about dance music completely. My immediate thought was "these guys are the future of trance". This was the sound that inspired me to become a party organizer instead of a party traveller.

Fast forward four years to today: Son Kite are now established as one of the most exciting acts in the dance music scene. "Minilogue" was a huge departure from the psyscene of 2000, "Perspectives of..." was a huge departure from everything, and now Son Kite is back with another brand new game in town, "Colours", and as before, they are still looking forward.

Let's start with what the new album is not: it's less techno-, driving- oriented than their last album. Gone is that feeling of being inside a machine, with its trademark percussion and mechanical grooves. This album for me is also less dark, deep, intense, tribal, and chaotic than many of their earlier releases, and some people might miss that aspect.

So what is it? It's everything else! It seems Seb and Marcus bombarded their brains with musical influences from all over electronica--from electro, house, breaks, early trance, and downtempo--and then exploded outwards into this album. It's airy, it's dreamy, it's colorful, it's light, and it's much more "musical" than the previous two albums. It's progresssive in the real sense, but like Aje mentioned, it's also nostalgic and captures so much feeling and emotions from the electronic music scene of the early 90's, from harthouse and der dritte raum/dr dna to the goa vibe. I think Son Kite realize progressive trance has kind of reached a dead-end, so they had to explore elsewhere to keep things exciting.

It actually makes you wonder how much longer Son Kite can keep themselves in the "trance" scene, because obviously there are many different musical paths that must be pulling their heart strings now. (BTW, I for one hope they do a nu skool breaks side project. They could call themselves "Son Fractus", latin for "broken sound".) They've surprised me again, so I won't bother to worry about the future:)

Another departure is that the sound production has jumped up another level completely. They don't use as many sounds as before, but there is much more focus on the textures and colors of the sounds that are there. It seems like they choose a certain sound to focus in on, and then draw you closer and closer to it--you feel you can get so close to the sounds you can almost touch them and juggle them in your hands. No else in the trance scene is putting so much effort into the sound production. You probably need to go outside our world to people like Junkie XL to hear this kind of sound manipulation.

One highlight of the album is the exquisite intros and outros. I think they made a great decision by not putting on a downtempo track and instead mixing each track. They obviously put a lot of work in here, and this gives the album a much nicer flow. The outros/intros also give Seb a chance to indulge a little in the ambient soundscapes he loves. The final result is you focus less on each track and more on the album as a whole.

Summary: The "colours" album conveys a pure--almost naive and childlike--sense of joy in play. I happened to go the park with a good friend of mine last weekend, and we flew a kite with his little boy who is about as close to an angel as you're likely to see. I realized there's nothing better for your head than watching a kid play. It's exactly that feeling this album captures. Five years down the road, I think Seb and Marcus have finally achieved their sonic namesake: Son Kite.
ricardo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Apr 17, 2004 00:09
Nice review....Hey aje everytime i read your posts i get very curious...Are you Alex?? The dude who used to Live/or still lives here in LA?

Best

Ricardo
René(BB)
Beat Bizzare

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 17, 2004 16:09
Hej seB you nerd....Rene here..nice time in MX....anyway..I Liked your live in Acapulco really nice...enloyed it to the full......anyway hope to se you guys soon if you´ll around...write me a mail..           René/Beat Bizarre/Iboga Rec.http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ibo/ibo1cd020.html
Apocalypse Now
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  62
Posted : Apr 18, 2004 09:15
Oh man, I can't wait to get this, I just got the single in the mail about a week ago and it hasn't left my CD player since. You guys made some beautiful reviews so far, keep them coming! I'm drooling.

Guys, go out and buy it! Don't even bother with the MP3's on this one, if it's anything like the single, the sound production is just too good to compress into a crappy MP3 file. You can buy this album with eyes closed knowing that these guys worked their asses off to make you an absolutely perfect CD.           Both teams played hard
hoffman angels

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Apr 19, 2004 01:09
just got the album.

10xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

CLASSIC FOR SURE.

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Son Kite - Colours (Digital Structures)

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance