Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - PUOSKARI - "The Audio Hustler" (Freakdance Records / 2004)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

PUOSKARI - "The Audio Hustler" (Freakdance Records / 2004)

synapsi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Mar 11, 2004 12:10
Here's a review of the album taken from trance.net - http://www.trance.net/article/articleview/437/1/4/
Album available at Saiko Sounds - http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=3930
Label home page with high quality audio clips at http://www.freakdancerecords.net

Review by PKS
Freakdance Records in Finland is out with an album by Puoskari...

Finland keeps proving that they make the weirdest music out there. Freakdance Records is one of several Finnish labels that focus on the more experimental side of psychedelic trance, and they are now out with their first artist album, done by Puoskari (O. Nuotio). I have always looked at Finland as a country full of vodka and sauna, and when I look inside the cover of this CD, there are tons of party pictures, most of them included bottles and drinking. So what we get here is some vodka trance, perfect for your party in the sauna…

Puoskari "The Audio Hustler" Freakdance Records 2004 (FDCD04)

1. Aamuventys
2. Fifty-Sixty
3. Hit And Run
4. Humboogie
5. 7teas
6. AivoMäyrä
7. The Audio Hustler
8. Herra Jänis
9. Kammiopärinä
10. Vipinää O-Kulmassa

This guy sure knows how to make things different. The first track has some guitar samples that remind me of some country music or something. We also get a groovy, pumping rhythm, and tons of weird sounds that sounds a bit like some kind of disco music from the 70’s! Funny and weird trance. Track 2 has a vibe the reminds me of some old PC games, mixed with groovy rhythms and funky disco sounds. Funny melodies and variation all the way. Track 3 continues the funky groove and bubbles of funny sounds. This music will for sure make people smile at a party! Track 4 is one of many favourites on this album. This track has a more floating vibe, still with all the crazyness you can imagine. Melodic, funny trance. This reminds me actually a lot of Orichalcum! Track 5 follows the same vibe, but sounds even weirder, including several Finnish voice samples!

Track 6 is more stumping, with a bit darker, but still very weird and funny sounds. Really fun to dance to and for home listening. Track 7 has a very funky bass and is totally different from everything else being released. It probably gets too weird for some people, but personally I think it sounds great! I still get this Orichalcum feeling, but this is a bit lighter and more melodic. Track 8 sounds just totally crazy. I have never, ever heard anything like it! Track 9 has some funny breaks with scary sounds, a really deep bass groove, and of course tons of psychedelic, weird sounds. The last track on this album has more focus on the melody than the beats, and it sounds really great! Again I get this 80’s video/PC game feeling.

This is for sure one of the funniest albums I have ever heard. Perfect for those of you who are tired of the usual psytrance, and want something full of funny sounds and melodies. Way to go Freakdance crew!
PK (shivapks@hotmail.com)

traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : Mar 14, 2004 16:09
it's wicked..

i'll tell more later on           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Gumbo
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  64
Posted : Mar 16, 2004 20:53
ahh cool! Puoskari is great artist!! i'v tried to reach my conection in helsinki for that album.. freakdance rec. r also graet they'v got some wicked artist working for them
their last comp' FCD03 is also great featuers their best artist and also puoskari! I got thAT Comp' heheheh!! altough it kinda dissaponetd me.. its cool that i got something pure from Finland.
          Follow u'r Spirit without hesitation.
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Mar 22, 2004 00:28
Puoskari – The Audio Hustler

Cover: http://www.freakdancerecords.net/gfx/fdcd04-250x250.jpg

Format: CD
Artist: Puoskari
Title: The Audio Hustler
Label: Freakdance Records, Finland
Cat. #: FDCD04
Year: 2004

Track listing:

01. 07’07” Aamuventys
02. 08’07” Fifty-Sixty
03. 07’23” Hit And Run
04. 08’28” Humboogie
05. 07’35” 7teas
06. 06’56” AivoMäyrä
07. 08’20” The Audio Hustler
08. 06’57“ Herra Jänis
09. 07’23“ Kammiopärinä
10. 06’05“ Vipinää O-Kulmassa

Review:

Oh boy, the faggots did not live in vain…!

Blimey! Finnish label Freakdance Records is out with its 4th release… This time an artist album from Oskari Nuotio aka Puoskari who first surfaced on last year’s mega-strange Freakdance compilation FDCD03. Here’s much more insane stuff from lake country!

My fellow reviewer PKS dubbed this vodka-trance – and Per, I couldn’t have said it better… This is some seriously fucked up, drunken, messy shit… And all that is meant as superlatives! ;o) If you’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to Texas Faggot, Squaremeat, Haltya and other Surreal Audio/Exogenic releases you’ll know just what to expect… The trademark Finnish sound that is just about as far away from mainstream trance as you can get… Insane, funky, deeply psychedelic, perverted, dark, gloomy, powerful, unstructured crazy-ass forest stuff! Packed with all kinds of bizarre samples, off key notes, off beats, old school videogames samples, pitched up elephant trunk sounds and so on… Every track consists of thousands of elements – multilayered, entangled short melodies, with so much madness thrown on top…. This shit is loco! The production quality sounds flawless too me – but you can’t really judge that with Finnish stuff can you?

You either love this or hate it… Personally, I love it… But not unconditionally! I can only cope with Finnish stuff for a limited time in one listening session – after a while it gets too intense for me… Too damn weird! So I prefer to take my Finnish Delights in small dozes… This is kinda like a bottle of whiskey. 3-4 shots are nice, but drinking the whole bottle will leave you sick… But if you can cope; if you’re a hardened alcoholic, if you’re open-minded and if you like the typical Finnish sound you’ll dig this! I think it’s a nice, refreshing release – definitely out of the ordinary. ;o)

Only 700 copies pressed, so you might not want to wait too long ordering this… if you’re the kinda pervert into this! ;o)

6/10

DeathPosture

External links:
Freakdance Records: http://www.freakdancerecords.net (Soundclips available)
Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=3930
Streetbeat: http://www.streetbeat.ac/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4350

On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
nobody4
Inactive User

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Mar 23, 2004 12:45
childish production, shallow sounds, innovative ideas brought forth with very limited ability.

I wont deny the originality and interesting ideas Finnish trance has, but its definately not my cup of tea. The lack of finesse Fintrance has is for me very unatractive and simply not pleasent.

I admit that this release is far better than the usual mayham-discuised-as-originality and monkey-on-the-keys music comming from traditional psy trance finnish artists, but its still no excuse.

Thank god for musical freedom, eh?
          auspexx@compact-records.com
Reece
Neuron Compost

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Mar 23, 2004 14:25
just arrived today,........ i guess u can call me a 'hardened alcoholic' hehehehe

praise jeebus there are still ppl out there doing weird shit and not following trends

big ups 2 Puoskari and Freakdance, rock on brothers!!!

will write more when ive listened more (and stopped laughing!)
synapsi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2004 13:51
Hehe, wasn't Auspexx the one causing a bit of a havoc at elixiria.com (a finnish psytrance forum) with his anti-suomisaundi (finnish psy) posts, so nothing new here. We already know you don't like Finnish psy so why keep on repeating yourself?

The musical freedom works both ways, auspexxie
ugli

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Mar 24, 2004 13:54
I like this record like a mad man likes porrige!
serotonot

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Mar 24, 2004 14:07
Quote:

On 2004-03-24 13:51, synapsi wrote:
Hehe, wasn't Auspexx the one causing a bit of a havoc at elixiria.com (a finnish psytrance forum) with his anti-suomisaundi (finnish psy) posts, so nothing new here. We already know you don't like Finnish psy so why keep on repeating yourself?

The musical freedom works both ways, auspexxie

at least it should.
I dont see any major Israeli artist giving threaths to throw rocks at puoskari for making/playing that kind of music.

I also dont see any promises of violent acts against the artist or the ppl who play that kind of music.

And what you said about musical freedom? Auspexx was getting threats of violent acts and he left the forum. Why? Because he didn't like Finnish psytrance.

I don't do either, and there's already same thing with me. "You've ruined the Finnish scene by playing foreign sound in Finnish forest, we'll beat you up"

That was surely a nice thing to hear.

I didn't want to bring this shit up for the whole world but if you are already judging people's opinion in here too...

synapsi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2004 14:19
Quote:

On 2004-03-24 14:07, serotonot wrote:

at least it should.
I dont see any major Israeli artist giving threaths to throw rocks at puoskari for making/playing that kind of music.

I also dont see any promises of violent acts against the artist or the ppl who play that kind of music.

And what you said about musical freedom? Auspexx was getting threats of violent acts and he left the forum. Why? Because he didn't like Finnish psytrance.

I don't do either, and there's already same thing with me. "You've ruined the Finnish scene by playing foreign sound in Finnish forest, we'll beat you up"

That was surely a nice thing to hear.

I didn't want to bring this shit up for the whole world but if you are already judging people's opinion in here too...

First of all, if someone ever said that it wasn't anyone from the current Freakdance artists, it has definately NOTHING TO DO WITH PUOSKARI, HE IS 100% ANTIVIOLENT 100% TOLERANT SO PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE. The way you put out your words gives the impression that Puoskari himself has something to do with these "threats" so PLEASE leave the poor man out of this.

And yes, I know who said those words to Auspexx but I also know the person behind them and SO DO YOU, AND YOU DAMN AS WELL KNOW how serious he was when he said he's gonna throw rocks at Auspexx - you've known personally him probably longer than I have.

And second, try to read what I type. I said "yes Auspexx, we've heard your opinion a zillion times, you've made your point clear at Elixiria so PLEASE change the tune because we've all heard it before".

I really don't think I was too unpolite but apparently you did. Can't your friend take responsibility of his own words before you have to come and defend him like a helpless child? I'm not the one going to Israel or wherever and blasting aloud how their scene and music sucks bigtime and I don't even think that way. But Auspexx called his bluff here - All his "I Want to know how you make suomisaundi, it's real interesting, although it's flat and shallow (hey don't bee offended pleese)" was just complete bullshit hidden behind these words:

" I admit that this release is far better than the usual mayham-discuised-as-originality and monkey-on-the-keys music comming from traditional psy trance finnish artists, but its still no excuse. "

Kinda sums it all up, doesn't it?

P.S. : P L U R

ugli

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Mar 24, 2004 14:47
I tought this was "CD Reviews" not "Fight about your music preference"
synapsi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2004 15:04
What I meant with "causing havoc" in the first place was the "Tuuba vs. Suomisaundi" / us vs. them -battle that spawned at Elixiria.com from the original thread that included these silly rock throwing contests and face spitting decathlons. Who threw the first stone (which never actually happened, thank the allmighty), I don't know. Maybe it was just a thing waiting to surface , after all Finnish psy has always gathered strong opinions for or against it. But I think the whole original thread there was mainly concentrated on two people arguing, with others making their comments in between. (NOTE: I wasn't either one of them)

And yes, I feel lucky nobody has ever thrown a stone at me while playing, although at least to personal judgement I've played such a bad music and sets I would have probably deserved it. So there really is tolerance in Finnish parties, although it doesn't always seem that way in what we post to forums here or elsewhere.

It always takes at least two to start up a fight so why don't we stop here before we get even started.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone and of course I feel that everyone has the right to his/hers own opinion, like I said, "musical freedom works in both ways" (EDIT: and I also say about my own music, "If it's crap, don't listen to it!").

My original reply for Auspexx was because I think he has made his point so clear in the past that I consider any further announcements like his post to this thread a bit provocative and so I couldn't help myself but to comment, sorry , next time I'll try to count backwards from hundred with my eyes closed.

And to those reading this thread, Freakdance Records or their artists haven't got _anything_ to do with no rock throwings/insults etc. (weell , apart from me, so blame me for everything if you want to blame someone:) ((EXCEPT FOR ROCK THROWING OR OTHER THREATS))

Listen to the music , that's what it is all about and so should be this thread too. Thanks and PEACE.

serotonot

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Mar 24, 2004 15:55
Quote:

On 2004-03-24 14:19, synapsi wrote:
First of all, if someone ever said that it wasn't anyone from the current Freakdance artists, it has definately NOTHING TO DO WITH PUOSKARI, HE IS 100% ANTIVIOLENT 100% TOLERANT SO PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE. The way you put out your words gives the impression that Puoskari himself has something to do with these "threats" so PLEASE leave the poor man out of this.

First of all apologies, if someone thought that I was talking about Puoskari. I have nothing bad to say about Puoskari or Freakdance Rec.
Quote:

And yes, I know who said those words to Auspexx but I also know the person behind them and SO DO YOU, AND YOU DAMN AS WELL KNOW how serious he was when he said he's gonna throw rocks at Auspexx - you've known personally him probably longer than I have.

I though I knew, until recent times. I won't put all that shit on any forum, but he definately ain't the guy I knew. I don't know if it's said seriously or not, but things he has said are still stupid and childish.
Quote:

And second, try to read what I type. I said "yes Auspexx, we've heard your opinion a zillion times, you've made your point clear at Elixiria so PLEASE change the tune because we've all heard it before".

and there is something new about this "your opinion is wrong"-shit?
Quote:

I really don't think I was too unpolite but apparently you did. Can't your friend take responsibility of his own words before you have to come and defend him like a helpless child?

So you think that I don't have my own opinion about this? I'm talking only my own thoughts, not trying to defend anyone.
Quote:

I'm not the one going to Israel or wherever and blasting aloud how their scene and music sucks bigtime and I don't even think that way.

And Auspexx has done this by complying a compilation to Israeli label with numerous Finnish acts?

Quote:

But Auspexx called his bluff here - All his "I Want to know how you make suomisaundi, it's real interesting, although it's flat and shallow (hey don't bee offended pleese)" was just complete bullshit hidden behind these words:

" I admit that this release is far better than the usual mayham-discuised-as-originality and monkey-on-the-keys music comming from traditional psy trance finnish artists, but its still no excuse. "

Kinda sums it all up, doesn't it?

Well after all things that he has read about his native sound, I'm not suprised that he said it straight. Remember anything about "non-imaginary homo-vocooder jewish revenge?" Wasn't too nice thing to say about Israeli trance either...

Quote:

P.S. : P L U R

Agreed. And a freedom of thought and speech

Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Mar 24, 2004 16:24
Ok... well I love Soumi psy... very innovative if you ask me, free of boundaries... the only country that has a distinct style which can be recognised anywhere... I don't find it shallow at all... In fact, quite the opposite...

Mandalavandalz/Texas Faggot, Squaremeat, Eraser vs Yojalka and some others are a few of my favorite Finnish projects...

I've heard some Finnish people are very touchy when it comes to playing foreign music...

I have yet to hear the Pouskari album though...           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
synapsi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2004 16:41
Quote:

and there is something new about this "your opinion is wrong"-shit?

Look. I'm not saying that his opinions are wrong, but I think he wasn't too polite in the way he said what he had in mind. In MY opinion there's a difference between saying what's on your mind politely, no matter how bad you think something is, and trying to create and maintain a decent conversation than just to call Finnish artists "monkeys bashing the keyboard". If you want to have a conversation that does not end up in a fight, don't start it by insulting others.

Quote:

So you think that I don't have my own opinion about this? I'm talking only my own thoughts, not trying to defend anyone.

Of course I think you have your own opinions too, but it seems to me that people are , once again, taking sides on this argument.And your post after my reply was so convenient that it's easy think the main motive for your post was to defend Auspexx.

Quote:

" I'm not the one going to Israel or wherever and blasting aloud how their scene and music sucks bigtime and I don't even think that way. "
And Auspexx has done this by complying a compilation to Israeli label with numerous Finnish acts?

Well if he did make such a compilation, yet speaks of Finnish trance as total crap, it kind of reveals his true thoughts about the sound. If Puoskari's album is "far better than the usual mayham-discuised-as-originality and monkey-on-the-keys music" then I really wonder what does the compilation sound like.

Quote:

Well after all things that he has read about his native sound, I'm not suprised that he said it straight. Remember anything about "non-imaginary homo-vocooder jewish revenge?" Wasn't too nice thing to say about Israeli trance either...

Has anyone from Freakdance Records insulted him in such a way? No. Have we mocked Israeli trance? No. Just because somebody else who happens to be a Finnish psytrance artist says something like that doesn't mean we agree our would automatically say such things or anything like that. Or did you really think all of those who like Finnish psy-trance automatically hate Israelis/Homovocoders/Jewish people in general?? That's like saying all Germans are nazis! Oh well ... PERSONALLY my first recorded song ever was on Exogenic Records compilation AND IT INCLUDED VERY SLEAZY SOUNDING GAY VOCODERS so you're definately on the wrong tracks now.

(EDIT: And I really think al lthose homovocoder/jew things were originally a JOKE (what else _CAN_ they be?),perhaps auspexx knows it and now he's trolling too and laughing in his secret hideout to all us silly people! )

(EDIT 2 : Those who don't understand how can it be humour when we're talking about serious accusations like HOMOVOCODERS then you need a quick THIS IS HUMOUR tutorial . Finnish humour can be a little bit twisted so don't be shocked right away when you hear somebody blurting out some rude words. My suggestion is movies made by / starring Spede Pasanen as he is the idol to many here in Finland)

Quote:

Agreed. And a freedom of thought and speech

Double that P L U R.

Love,

Max
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - PUOSKARI - "The Audio Hustler" (Freakdance Records / 2004)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance