Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Neo::Caine (Neurobiotic, January 2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists - Neo::Caine (Neurobiotic, January 2006)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Jan 24, 2006 15:13
Artist: Various
Title: Neo::Caine - compiled by DJ Edoardo
Label: Neurobiotic
Format: CD (Digipack)
Released: January, 2006
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/neu1cd017_b.jpg

Review:

One of the only psytrance labels based in Italy is Neurobiotic Records. Run by DJ Edoardo, they have over a 5 year period established themselves as one of the major players on the global psytrance scene - the first couple of releases where dark and psychedelic, but over the years their sound have moved more and more towards the popular full on sound, resulting in albums from artists like Altöm, Tikal, Polaris and Joti Sidhu. Despite being influenced by the popular full on sound, their sense of quality has always been top-notch though (with a few exceptions), and I personally consider the label one of the 3 best full on labels at the moment.

"Neo::Caine" is Neurobiotics first release for 2006, and for me personally it's been much-awaited, as the tracklist contains a very promising list of artists, with acts like Jaïa, Silicon Sound, Allaby, and Prometheus - let's see if it can live up to those expectations.

01. Tristan & Prometheus - Supernature [143 BPM]
Opening the show is "Supernature" - a collaboration between two of the most well-respected producers from the UK - Prometheus (also of Younger Brother fame) and Tristan. It's a really storming tune - heavy and dark, with an incredible relentless drive, and with a powerful bassline, strong enough to crush entire nations. A massive opener for the compilation, albeit maybe a bit too short.

02. Allaby - Aurorae [140 BPM]
Next up is Matt Allaby who is really started to get recognized for his work lately, with stunning releases on labels like Nano and Alchemy. "Aurorae" is yet another high class release from him - powerful, but without the constant breaks and aggressive "in-your-face" approach like way too much full on has at the moment. The melodies are stunning, yet quite subtle, and overall this is a wonderful morning tune.

03. Zen Mechanics - New Propulsion Technology [142 BPM]
One of Neurobiotics promising new names for the future is the Dutch Zen Mechanics, who has already showed a lot of diversity with releases ranging from chillout over progressive trance to full on. "New Propulsion Technology" is one of the best full on productions I've heard from him; massive, driving and with lots of clever twists and turns. I just love when it goes from a full-throttle rolling bassline into the funky groove. Great track.

04. Jaia - Electricity [140 BPM]
"Electricity" is the newest release by Jaïa from France - the man behind one of the most talked-about albums of 2005, the magnificent "Fiction". My expectations for this track where huge, and they where fully fulfilled - the groove is laidback, progressive and absolutely magnificent, and the melodies and pads are so dreamy and fluid it's almost unreal. Words can't fully describe the level this guy is on - outstanding tune.

05. Pixel & Wrecked Machines - R.P.N.G.C. (Silicon Sound Remix) [145 BPM]
Another act from France, Silicon Sound, is up next with a remix of "Real Pimps Never Get Caught" from Pixels debut-album "Reality Strikes Back" - and what a surprise this was. Silicon Sound has made some excellent tracks over the years, but this is surely one of his best to date; incredibly uplifting, dreamy trance with epic Vangelis-like pads and with an abundance of lovely melodies. Marvellous, just marvellous.

06. Wrecked Machines & Pixel - Tea Time [140 BPM]
The most well-known Brazilian contribution to the psytrance scene is Wrecked Machines, and "Tea Time" is collaboration with Pixel from Israel. After the two very melodic tracks from Jaïa and Silicon Sound, "Tea Time" is more dance-floor oriented full on, but still maintains the high quality. A great track with the typical Wrecked Machines and Pixel sounds, but luckily without the cheesy hands-in-the-air Spun-melodies that, to me, made the latest Wrecked Machines album such a huge disappointment.

07. Orion - Welcome To Reality Remix [145 BPM]
Danish trance-legend Jean Borelli is up next with a remix of his own track "Welcome To Reality" - originally released on Neurobiotics "Neurology" compilation back in 2004. This remix is pretty close to the original, with the biggest changes in the groove, which is quite funkier than the originally, and not quite as rolling. A good track on its own, but doesn't quite live up to the standard of the first 6 tracks.

08. Polaris - 25 [144 BPM]
Polaris is the 3rd French act on the compilation, and with a few compilation-appearances as well as a full length album, they are among Neurobiotics most regular acts. "25" is overall a pretty fine full on tune - cleanly polished, and certainly with a very appealing groove. It never gets really interesting to me though, and I consider it one of the most anonymous tracks here.

09. Tikal - Experience [145 BPM]
Tikal from France have released two full length albums on Neurobiotic, and while their first album "Ritual Cycle" was a very fresh and pleasant surprise, the 2nd, "Carnaval" was somewhat disappointing. "Experience" starts promising with a very catchy, fast groove and some Tikal-trademark Samba-samples in the background, and it's actually a quite good tune... up to the point where the track is completely destroyed by some downright horrible Eminem-samples. What where they thinking?

10. Altom - Viper [145 BPM]
Last but not least is Altöm: yet another act from France, and once again an act with two album-releases on Neurobiotic. "Viper" is quite a typical Altöm-track with a mix of both the sweet and uplifting melodies and female voices, and the slightly more twisted and screaming leads - and it does the trick. It's nothing new, but as a dance floor tool, I consider it one of the best tracks Altöm have made for a while.

Bottom line:

In today's flooded full on scene, it's reassuring that some labels almost never fail. Neurobiotic is one of these labels. Despite the fact that the flow is maybe a bit odd ("Supernature" was for instance, in my opinion, not the most well-chosen track to open the compilation), and there is a rather disturbing track to be found (Tikal), "Neo:Caine" is simply one of the best full on compilations I've heard for quite some time now.

The promotion-material from Neurobiotic says that the compilation is "a crossover between full on and progressive", but I don't know if I can fully agree with that (apart from the Jaïa-track). This is mostly morning full on, but certainly of the very best kind.

A priceless purchase for the morning DJ's and home listeners alike.

Favourites:

1(!), 2 (!), 3, 4 (!!!), 5(!!!), 6, 10

Verdict:

9/10

Link:

Neurobiotic Records: http://www.neurobiotic.com          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Paladin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Jan 24, 2006 15:14
Artist: Various, compiled by DJ Edoardo.
Title: Neo::Caine.
Label: Neurobiotic Records, Italy, 2006.
Cat#: NBRCD017
Format: CD, digipac case.
Distribution: Arabesque Distribution.
Release Date: 23rd January 2006.

Tracks:
1. 6'45" Tristan & Prometheus - Supernature(143BPM).
2. 8'36" Allaby - Aurorae(140BPM).
3. 7'56" Zen Mechanics - New Propulsion Technology(142BPM).
4. 8'23" Jaia - Electricity(140BPM).
5. 7'24" Pixel & Wrecked Machines - R.P.N.G.C.(Silicon Sound remix)(145BPM).
6. 6'48" Wrecked Machines & Pixel - Tea Time(140BPM).
7. 7'38" Orion - Welcome To Reality remix(145BPM).
8. 7'03" Polaris - 25(144BPM).
9. 7'16" Tikal - Experience(145BPM).
10. 8'15" Altom - Viper(145BPM).

This one has been eagerly awaited and Neurobiotics do not disappoint! There's no token ambient track here so we what get is 10 carefully chosen psy-progressive monsters from DJ Edoardo! Let's see what's on offer:

Review:

1. Tristan & Prometheus - Supernature.
Edoardo comes straight out of the gate firing on all cylinders with a hard driving, slightly dark psy-progressive monster. All muscled up with energy overflowing. Nice start!

2. Allaby - Aurorae.
I was expecting at least one more high energy track to ensure Edoardo had me hooked, but being an old hand he decided to hook us in a different way. What we get here is trademark Allaby: deep & funky psy-progressive with a phat rolling bassline and groovy atmospherics lifteing us up. Lushness!

3. Zen Mechanics - New Propulsion Technology.
Zen Mechanics strap on their more full-on production skills to great effect here: a driving kick & bouncy bassline with techy psy fx overlaid combined with progression of atmospheric top end result in a non-cheesy uplifting bomb!

4. Jaia - Electricity.
Monsieur Kamarinos delights here with a funky progressive atmospheric delight! Some minimal dreamy female vocals just adds to the package. Vintage Jaia!

5. Pixel & Wrecked Machines - R.P.N.G.C.(Silicon Sound remix).
Silicon Sounds reworks this into a dreamy uplifting psy-progessive work of art. A nice funky bassline with trademark uplifting synths and swirling atmospherics, for those that like this kind of style. If not it may be a bit too commercial sounding for you. Float away!!!

6. Wrecked Machines & Pixel - Tea Time.
I'll have Plain Chocolate Digestives with mine please!
Isn't tea time a break from work? Well that's what this sounds like! Definitely felt like a rest period IMHO. Deepish, bouncy progressive that floats along but doen't progress anywhere mega exciting. It sounds very nice but in a "relax now please" kinda manner. Filler? Maybe, but in a designer suit!

7. Orion - Welcome To Reality remix.
Ok, tea break over! Brian Borelli treats us to a bouncy psy-progressive feast that feels very deep for 145BPM until the last 2 minutes or so. It swirls around whilst building lush techy pads and soft psy fx for a proper trance finale! One of those where your skin is tingling when the music stops!!!! Proper dance music!

8. Polaris - 25.
More swirling atmospheric influences here, Polaris stylee!!! So that means we get excellent progression of slightly edgy/techy fx on top accompanied by a comfortable driving kickdrum and rolling bassline. Not bangin', not deep, but very comfortably in between in good style! 25 what?

9. Tikal - Experience.
Since track 3 this is the first track that really feels like it is driving you towards something! To some the build in the breakdown will be too commercial sounding but it gets you there and in the right energy for the squelchy, bouncy drive along and fx laden sonic journey. Excellent progressives layers and a NICE original use of hip hop sample from Eminem(? I think!) towards the end. It works for me!!!

10. Altom - Viper.
So do we get a sting in the tale from a vicious little snake? Oh YES! A gorgeous rolling bassline being driven along at a bouncy pace with electro/retro synth fx, swirling atmospherics progressing into full on squelch mode before a full pelt drive out of the breakdown! It leaves you wishing there were more tracks... and isn't that how it should be! Excellent stuff from Altom!

In Conclusion:

A really outstanding effort from Neurobiotic & DJ Edoardo in an area that is hard to please everyone: call it what you will; neo full-on/psy-progressive or whatever, compiling a cd that covers a fairly broad spectrum of progressive sounds from our scene at this level of BPM's can be a minefield but here it is done in style! There's a wealth of diverse tunes here to suit many tastes so enjoy the feast!Congratulations Neurobiotic!

Personal favourites: Everything except 6!!!

Overall: 8.5/10.
          If you point your cart North,
when you want to go South,
How will you find The Way?
----Ryokan----
Paladin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Jan 24, 2006 15:23
Hey Nice review!!!

Guess the Moderators will combine the posts since we posted within a minute of each other!!

Interesting to see how different people have different perceptions etc etc. Nice to see someone elses full review and what works for them versus me. (Eminem sample for example!!!)
Cheers mate!           If you point your cart North,
when you want to go South,
How will you find The Way?
----Ryokan----
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Jan 24, 2006 15:35
Impressive track list. looks good!           -=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
keyop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Jan 24, 2006 18:03
Great review prOfane.

That Jaia tunes been blowing me away for the past few days now. Along with many others on this excellent compilation.

My faves 1,2,4,5

7/10

.KALI.

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jan 25, 2006 04:06
Perfect Album
D-Acidhead

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jan 25, 2006 21:32
Perfect Album...
Some diversity in the track nevertheless following all the morning full on path!

It has been a while we didnt get such a quality album!
Very nice taste Edoardo!

One more time, Neurobiotic crew as well as Edoardo didnt disapointed us!
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : Jan 27, 2006 11:16
Quote:

On 2006-01-24 15:13, pr0fane wrote:
09. Tikal - Experience [145 BPM]
"Experience" starts promising with a very catchy, fast groove and some Tikal-trademark Samba-samples in the background, and it's actually a quite good tune... up to the point where the track is completely destroyed by some downright horrible Eminem-samples. What where they thinking?

Agreed agreed agreed..
I mean, it could have been nice indeed to put a good HipHop sample in a song.. But hey hey hey, Eminem ?? That imbecile who has nothing to do with the true HipHop ? If Tikal tried to do something like "hey, hear how we're open minded" then they did totally WRONG !! Gimme some Roots Manuva, Dizzee Rascal or Mos Def and here I would have thought "Wow, outstanding, Tikal"..

I too wonder what the **** they where thinking..           .
"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
..::PsySacred::..
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Jan 30, 2006 22:50
at the first i wana say thnx to pr0fane for goor review.no doubt this compilation will be one of the best compilation that rlsed in 2006..suggest about this oponion is very earliness..track list saying everything..10 briliant artist with their awesome track,this album is full of my favorite trax....specially silicon sound new remix..for sure silicon sound's remix is better than original track..a realllly masterpeice remix a best work from johannes regniers..big respect ...other track are very good and im agree with pr0fane..what the fuck ?? this is psy not RAP ..eminem's sample!! oh i cant belive ..! very weird...! ..but at if u wanna hear professional psy this is a briliant comppilation highly recomended
fav : 1,2(!),3,4(!!),5(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!),6(!),8,10(!)
ddos

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Jan 31, 2006 06:30
yeah great tracks!
looking forward for that one!
m3x1co
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Jan 31, 2006 07:32
I brought this baby today and what i can say i should be agree with you guys, each track is a truly master piece my only critisism is the cheat propaganda speach, so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar this is not a progressive compilation at all, we'll just find the Jaia track with great progressive feeling but the another ones are totally full on tracks, not progressive . . also i saw to Edoardo in a interview speaking about the new way from Neurobiotic but come on !! is the same way . . but beside of this as i said is brilliant compilation i dont know if will be one of the best of this year (2006) because we just started this year but I'm sure it'll be the best of this month

Respect
Pasha
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Jan 31, 2006 10:10
The good thing I can say about the compilation, is that it really has a very balanced feel. All tracks fit together really well.
And the contents... It is trance with a proggy feel or proggy with a trancey feel, whatever. I haven't been listening to that musch trance music lately.

The Prometheus & Tristan, Silicon Sound's remix for Pixel and absolutely fantastic Allaby tracks have done it for me, thank you.
I wish I had more stuff like Allaby's track, just the right mix with Vibrasphere's remix of Wizzy Noise's Timeline. I love such moods.

Have fun!
Misha(Overlap)
Neogen / Overlap

Started Topics :  29
Posted : Jan 31, 2006 11:15
obe of the best compilation for last 6 months!!!
Allaby,Prometheus,Silicon sound rmx and Polaris!
Best tracks on CD.
Hope next compilations of this great label will be like this one!           Planet Ben Records
clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Feb 3, 2006 06:12
This CD is kick started with Tristan & Prometheus’s “Supernature” track that starts off very strong as the bassline rolls away. The progression is rather weird, as it seems to go backwards as the song evolves. At some points, it sounds a little south African at its worst, with a weird sounding chord, but once that’s over with, the track picks up again for the second half. I still think the strongest part is the beginning and am very uncertain as to if I will ever end up using this track in a set, but I am sure many will like what they have done here. The bassline is monotone, like most nighttime music, but the melodies are very psychadelic and intense. I don’t like the chemistry of these two artists.

Allaby’s “Aurorae” comes next as things calm down a little and as the bassline gets a little more interesting. The depth of this track is insane and the atmosphere created is very soothing and trippy. This track is a perfect blend of progressive music and full-on psytrance, but without all the extra layers that tend to “overkill” most tracks these days. The dynamics are crystal clear as well. It’s defiantly a must for all sunrises this summer.

Zen Mechanics follows up nicely with a more minimal approach as he shows us his “New Propulsion Technology”. You can feel this track taking deep breaths throughout its progression. I must admit the first half is rather boring until that little acoustic sound kicks in adding a lot of life to this one. Once again we find a rolling redundant bassline much like the 1st track on this comp.

Jaia starts things with a traditional Casio sounding note as the bassline takes its place and grooves things to change the vibe. “Electricity”. This track is defiantly something more progressive and has a very happy mood. This song is screaming to be played at a slower BPM, as the kick seems a little up-pitched, however its still something special as a whole.

R.P.N.G.C is what some might call “the return of the king” as Silicon Sound transforms Pixel and Wrecked Machines tune into what is my favorite track on this compilation. The melodies are heavy in this one and very trancy. I don’t think words can describe the magical feeling this track has. Everything is perfect.. The transposing bassline, the outstanding production, the progression and overlayering of the sounds. WOW.. Silicon Sound prouves again that he is one of the leading (and very underrated) psytrance producers out there. Its one of those tunes that you can listen to over and over again and never get tired of. Its not a dancefloor smasher and really it doesn’t have to be to catch any attention. If I could make music, it would sound like this does.

Okay, its “tea time” as Pixel and Wrecked Machines stand up and offer there own contribution to this CD. Once again we get a more minimal approach to what we are use to hearing from these guys, hence the title to this track. A fun track to listen to, but it lacks that little special energy needed to work its way onto a dancefloor. Then again, I didn’t really like the Wrecked Machines album because it had a more minimal feel to it and this track follows along the album’s lines. Obviously, the production is top notch and if you’re a crazy Wrecked Machines fan, you will defiantly find this track interesting. As for me, I’ll take a coffee break instead.

“Welcome to Reality” everyone, as Orion remixes this classic. He’s added a much groovier bassline than in the original, yet he keeps the catch melodies found in the original.. a very pleasant track to just sit a listen to. Not sure if I would play stuff like this on a dancefloor, but defiantly ideal for a trancefloor. Not much more to say about this one.

Polaris's "25" offers to listeners of this compilation probably the most dancefloor track of this album, with a strong full-on bassline like I love them. I like the progression and the direction of this one and I can’t wait to hear this one really loud on some huge speakers. Polaris in general never really appealed to me, but I think I’ll start to pay a little more attention to him now.

Ohh wait, Tikal come's next with this great "Experience" and delivers a pounding one here with a cool Eminem sample used to take listeners by surprise. A nice track in general with some interesting short melodies, nothing too trancy, yet captivating.. I especially like the bassline used which gives this one alot of energy.

Altom has always been one of my favorite artists because he is very diverse in his releases as we saw with the evolution between his two albums. This one is a blend of both I would say. It has the depth of the first album, and the drive of the second album as we experience “Viper”’s sting. Following the smooth style of this entire CD, Altom know’s how to crank things up while still offering a morning feel. A fun track and defiantly the most full-on of this compilation !!

Well, all in all, this CD came as a surprise to me as I was expecting more full-on insanity, but it ended up being something with a morning progressive twist to it. Its nice to see some diversity on the market these days and there’s not much that sounds like this out there. Great job to Edoardo for compiling this CD and choosing original tracks for us. I really can’t wait for the Silicon Sound album to come out !!

My favs : 2, !!!5!!!, 8, 9!!, 10!
          "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
edoardo@neurobiotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  65
Posted : Feb 5, 2006 06:19
Thanx guys for the reviews... I'm more than happy to get this comments on neo::caine.
I didn't want to say it is a commercial cd, but I definetly find a progressive touch not only on jaia's track, but on pixel and wrecked machine's one and on silicon sound remix of them... My opinion of course, and didn't mean to write that as a promotional thing just to promote the compi...
Anyway, nice reviews and is nice to hear lot of the tracks played in parties around!

PeAcE from down under!

Edoardo @ Neurobiotic Records
http://www.neurobiotic.com
Myspace: www.myspace.com/djedoardo

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/label/detail/1651/neurobiotic_records
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Neo::Caine (Neurobiotic, January 2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance