Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Groove Control (Nervine, October 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists – Groove Control (Nervine, October 2005)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Oct 15, 2005 11:42
Artist: Various
Title: Groove Control
Label: Nervine
Format: CD (Jewelcase with 4 page inlay)
Released: October, 2005
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/ncd1cd003_b.jpg

Review:

The Danish label Nervine Records launched back in 2003 with the "Stimulus" compilation, containing progressive psytrance acts like Lish, Frogacult, Genetic Spin and Psyless Groove. A compilation that was later followed by Genetic Spins second album "Backspin", released in 2004. The following two EP's, containing tracks by Marcello Castelli, Thomas Penton and The Funky Badgers, marked a new time for the label though, now focusing completely on the housey market, and this month we finally saw a new CD-release from the label, the new compilation "Groove Control", originally announced already in December last year, but hit by heavy delays somewhere in the process.

01. Beckers - Road Movie [132 BPM]
Opening the compilation is Frank Beckers, without a doubt one of the biggest players on the progressive house/progressive psytrance crossover scene at the moment, releasing one of the biggest hits the last year, "Switch". "Road Movie" is more laidback than most of his newer stuff though, with a tight, dance friendly groove and some well thought-out female vocals. "This is the road ... to hell". Solid opener.

02. The Funky Badgers - Funky Tramp [129 BPM]
Swedish duo The Funky Badgers is up next. It's my first encounter with their sound, but it's certainly quite impressive. There is massive emphasis on the tribal percussion, very heavy and with a simple yet lovely groove. The atmosphere is somewhat deep, with some uplifting (yet perhaps a bit over the top) male vocals, giving it a quite clubby touch. Very nice work overall.

03. Fitalic - Farscape [128 BPM]
Fitalic from the Netherlands, is a duo who have impressed me a lot in the last years, with releases on Plastik Park, Vapour and Sprout. "Farscape" was released on the Israeli label VP Records earlier this year, well produced and with a tight, precise groove. Perhaps lacking some more drive and more distinct characterises of Fitalics earlier work, but a fairly good tune though.

04. Conny G - Cliff Drum [129 BPM]
Conny G, one half of The Funky Badgers, make yet another good impression with "Cliff Drum". Starting slow with a simple kick and some distinct tribal percussion, before reaching a short breakdown around the 2 minute mark, followed by the addition of a seriously fat and pounding bassline. Deep and raw progressive house, with an obvious Scandinavian forest trance touch, embellished by some trendy, yet never over the top house stabs.

05. Gift - Please Dont Go [130 BPM]
Up next is another fairly unknown act in my book, Gift from the US of A. My only encounter with him before "Please Dont Go" was an EP on VapouRise, but judging from his releases so far, he's got a bright future ahead of him. "Please Dont Go" is pretty gloomy, with dark synth stabs and some quite haunting female voice-samples. Deep, atmospheric grooves and very high quality in this tune.

06. Space Safari - Groovy Time [130 BPM]
Frank Beckers' second contribution two the compilation is "Groovy Time" under his Space Safari project: A delicious, laidback groover, and like always from Space Safari, totally soaked in summer vibrations. Add to that a long, cheerful Austin Powers sample, and you get a tune bound to bring loads of afternoon-smiles on every outdoor dance floor. This is simply delicious.

07. Thomas Penton - Distorted Reality [131 BPM]
One of Americas best exports, Floridays Thomas Penton, raise the intensity with "Distorted Reality", a peak time tune with a good, relentless drive and some quite catchy melodic structures. Unfortunately there's a bit too much autopilot - a bit too much of the same, and my impression is that we've heard it all before from Thomas Penton. Good dance floor material though.

08. Robert Elster - Random Reset Machine [128 BPM]
Final track is by Robert Elster, one half of the Swedish progressive trance duo Vibrasphere. "Random Reset Machine" is quite close to Vibraspheres last released track, "Bitter Deep", with a long atmospheric intro and a more housey touch than some of the duos earlier creations. The Vibrasphere sound is still there though, heavily reverbed and massive wide soundscapes - stunning progressive house/trance crossover.

Bottom line:

"Groove Control" really caught me by surprise. Yes, most of the material is quite formulaic, and it doesn't contain the most forward thinking and cutting-edge progressive house on the market - but after repeated listens the last couple of weeks, I must conclude that it just works. Really works. The flow is maybe a bit odd, but overall the quality throughout the compilation is very high, ranging from sunny outdoor tunes to deep grooves - and I could honestly imagine playing every track in a set.

Nervine continue a good trend, following in the footsteps on labels like SOG, Avalanche, Plastik Park, Tribal Vision, VP and others releasing progressive house unmixed on CD, and I can highly recommend progressive house CDJ's picking this one up.

Favourites:

1, 2, 4, 5, 6 (!!), 8 (!!)

Verdict:

8/10

Link:

Nervine Records: http://www.nervine-records.com          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
sherlockalien
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 16:19
best tracks imo are definitely Beckers, Gift and Penton

quite nice cd
emil_2111

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 17:18
1 to 6 are my favorites! Very nicely selected tracks great job!
Dance N Dust
Dance N Dust

Started Topics :  83
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 17:35
nice cd,i like most 2,3,6,7!
i think its mostly not trance music,its more progressive ,electro sound..
good fat stuff
i didnt like the cd cover, its photo and not realy grafic work, but all in all good cd

good luck nervine record
          out now:
Aumrec – Before The Beginning ,EP
V/a Beat Wins , Compiled by DJ Asherun
Embargaa - Slova . EP
www.myspace.com/dancendustrecords
psyreviews
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  71
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 14:03
Various
Groove Control
Nervine (Denmark)

Get past the cover you’d expect to see on a CD in the supermarket you buy and take home for your little sister, and this icy collection of quality progressive house becomes a serious contender for your cash. Flavour-of-the-moment Beckers does well with Road Movie, a cracking psybooty-packed groove going on with it. It picks up the energy nicely, breaks, then comes back with a sweet, simple melodic run in the middle. Gather more pace with some added twist and crunch in the background, some nice Detroit stabs, and we have a winner. The Funky Badgers’ Funky Tramp builds neatly into a Global Underground-friendly lost-in-music groove, and Fitalic’s Farscape has a space-funk feel to it that’s simultaneously oldskool and futuristic. Conny G’s Cliff Drum is great, it’s hypnotic and tribal up to a delirious breakdown, where it picks up an insane tecchy vibe, atonal lines and a ticklish high-end, really setting things off, while Gift’s Please Don’t Go is deep-as-ya-like with a smokey, hypnotising lead. Space Safari’s Groovy Time is a great record ruined by an over-long, too-quiet, and distracting Austin Powers sample. Seriously. The appreciation of the tune itself is wrecked, by a sample that detracts from the depth, soul and passion underneath. Bah. Thomas Penton’s Distorted Reality is – and I’m not kidding here – possibly one of my favourite tunes of the year. It’s just breathtaking. It’s not progressive, it’s not psytrance, it’s not techno, but it’s a staggering combination of all three. In fact, if someone told me that this was actually by Underworld I’d believe them – it’s got that timeless, effortless, superlatively energetic buzz flowing all the way through it, and when it drops into its final run the tears of quality are literally streaming down your face. Utterly bloody fantastic. Finally Robert Eslter’s Random Reset Machine doesn’t really cut the mustard and sounds very tacked-on to the end of anotherwise solid-enough compilation. Groove Control may not offer quite the organic progressive experience that a lot of DJs on the psychedelic end of prog are looking for, but anyone caugfht by the PsyBooty buzz who likes chucking a bit of funk into the mix is well catered-for here. The crossover is happening, kids, and Nervine have contributed a decent effort to the cause.

labyrinth
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Nov 4, 2005 21:18
whats wrong with putting a hot chick on a cd cover?
especially for a housey progressive comp, its sexy music.
definitely caught my eye.           Ovnimoon Records
http://soundcloud.com/labyr1nth
http://facebook.com/labyr1nth
http://labyr1nth.com
Willy Wonka
Inactive User

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Nov 4, 2005 22:48
Nice cover, really upto get my hands on this one.           "there once was a lesbian from Cancun
who took a young man up to her room
where there argued all night as to who had the right
to do what, how much and to whom"
ben
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Nov 4, 2005 23:17
what's wrong with putting a hot chick on a cd cover?

well i think we got enough of those hot chicks everywhere already... advertising, tv etc...

and besides it makes me feel like i am listening some euro trance mega hits compilation...
definitely not my cup of tea...
Willy Wonka
Inactive User

Posted : Nov 5, 2005 01:01
Ben, it's house CD from house label, house is not for open air parties, it's for clubs where sexy girls show their body. It is very common to put these kind of pictures for house.           "there once was a lesbian from Cancun
ben
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Nov 5, 2005 02:38
i guess...

but u get my point...
why always put a hot chick so u can sell more copies...
Willy Wonka
Inactive User

Posted : Nov 5, 2005 06:20
If you are psy producer and you put LSD rainbow forest on the cover doesn't give you success, aye ?           "there once was a lesbian from Cancun
Suspekt
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  64
Posted : Nov 5, 2005 10:16
Quote:

On 2005-11-05 01:01, Willy Wonka wrote:
Ben, it's house CD from house label, house is not for open air parties, it's for clubs where sexy girls show their body. It is very common to put these kind of pictures for house.

and i actually love playing this stuff at open air parties- and usually it gets lapped up. dont be so narrow- genre is only somethign we try and classify- its just sexy music.           Open Records, Australia

www.open-records.net
Willy Wonka
Inactive User

Posted : Nov 5, 2005 11:45
Sure you are Australian.           "there once was a lesbian from Cancun
farmatar

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Nov 6, 2005 00:54
very nice flow
extra groovy
suberb music
KuKulKan

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Nov 6, 2005 02:33
Super Compilation by Nervine Recs!!
My Favorite tracks on this:
Beckers, Fictalic & The Funky Badgers!
          ::: Dance when you're broken up, Dance when you're perfectly free, Dance in your Blood :::
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Groove Control (Nervine, October 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance