Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A The Turning (Timecode Records, December 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A The Turning (Timecode Records, December 2004)

bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Dec 14, 2004 02:12

THE TURNING
[Timecode 2004]
1. Rain
AZAX SYNDROM VS TOXIC
2. Mad method
TWISTED SYSTEM
3. Prince of the darkness
THE MISTED MUPPET
4. Nosferatu
ARTIFAKT
5. Hounds of hell
PHYX
6. The Pre determination
TICKETS
7. The secret side
RASTALIENS
8. Here knows when
TRISKELL
9. Encoded
SLUG

‘The Turning’ is the follow up to the recent ‘New Blood’ compilation - a musical escape into the shadowy unknown moving from aggressive dark textures and stormy moods towards eerie groove and epic melody. Azax Syndrom & Toxic, Twisted System, The Misted Muppet, The Artifakt, and Phyx build the frenzy with raw techno, tortured leads and brain frying breaks. Rastaliens and Tickets blow it all up with massive melodic pieces; and finally Triskell and Slug groove things to a close with some rolling basslines, quirky drops and catchy hooks. A masterpiece of half-lit textures and musical mentalism, you won’t want to turn your back on ‘the Turning’.

1. from hearing about this collaboration i had high hopes, both these artists are huge. the sounds start off with a rolling bass and an uplifting omnious sound overall. lots of patterns, a stomping tune emerges. the middle of the tune break has some electric guitars screaming away as the beat builds back up to a snarling crescendo... and before it seriously kicks back in it does a weird pitch thingy and by then, the dancers are begging for it. the full groove slams back in with a hot buzzing lead.

2. the twisted system team comes on strong here also, launching us into epic territory with some layered sounds and rolling deepness. theres a couple big blasts and different movements so it never gets boring, always keeping you on the toes. a funny bubbly sound comes in to groove and it gets serious! everything spaces out for the final build, a lone arpeggio grows up like an unfolding monster, the fx going off around it as it gets going, and the last minute is the stuff. this one has more phyx flavor i think, but sometimes hard to tell between the styles when they all work together. very thick sounds, great jam.

3. a vast soundscape is cast, great stereo fx flying around on the beginning, as the bassline gets going, another rolling, epic sounding blaster. the melodic leads come in to set the scope, a powerful adventure soundtrack. a mystical tone is set and the second movement has some more great fx along with the beat... the melody is slamming, the sounds keep adding up, the groove is a solid wall of power. a more distorted lead comes in and rolls on and on in an acid way, the final movement again is pure launchramp. the last minute is more for the mixout with big pads and fx. great for the night or the morning.

4. artifakt always has some new tricks up his sleeve. a more dark flavour, a sample that sounds from a horror movie, with a minimal kick sequence, getting bigger with fx. a great squidgy breakbeat and other weird instrument comes in and the tune starts to roll a bit. we get more traditional artifakt sounds where the artist can be identified. some great tweaky moments, it gets kinda funky and has a darker edge rolling under everything... its pumping for sure. a great streaking squeaking sound goes off and theres lots to listen to,... it all stops for a few to let the voice talk some more, and very heavy keys, like an apocalyptic organ hits a few notes and we drop back into the jam. and the swirling rolling artifakt blowup style takes us into spin mode for the ender.

5. grandmaster phyx takes the helm, the hounds of hell are definitely a scary bunch. we are treated to a darker rolling sound on this, with the many layered stabs and fx in combination with great percussion work that never gets repetitive. the arpeggio lead is given a chance to breathe with a nice stutter as the beat kicks back in, and the fullness of the tune is unleashed in true phyx style. it all drops out around 4 minutes remaining to leave us with the basskickline and some birds and some fx making for a warped sound... a new sound is introduced and added to the fullness which had been rocking previously. another break gives us more anticipation for the final movement, increasing the pressure. and when it goes, its goin for damn sure mate. theres lots happening, its a dancefloor killer.

6. tickets has been coming up big with tracks on a few releases this year. this one has more of a melodic feel to it, with a darkish bassline, and some warm lead at the beginning. a big lead comes next to fill the mix, and its certainly strong as it morphs a bit to get more twisty. a big upward slide in the background keeps getting higher and higher, to send you flying into space as the beat stops for a breather... it comes back in with another few up ramps and overall an epic, triumphant feel. theres some great bassline key changes in the last minute to give an even more powerful groove to it.

7. here we have rastaliens, notorious for serious groove and innovation. they have a stuttery bassline and a deep groove going within the first minute. theres a neat coconut percussion thing going on as the track just gets jumping in a classic way, with the grand skills at layering instruments that accentuate each other to present a massive tune with a valiant story. some of the sounds are warm in feeling, more of a morning style. but we get sent off into a funky saga of great proportions. it never really lets up all the way, which is nice, keeps the party moving for sure. we get a sound that is reminiscent of thier first album, at least for a second... a winner.

8. this one kicks in a similar way, great scope and depth, mythological in theme. visions of gallant warriors off to defend thier homelands against frightening beasts, they have the bravery and strength needed to be victorious. this one fits in nicely with the rest, and has some standout moments, thickness!

9. another tune from mr. slug, who just released his debut album on shift's nexus media label. deeper and more spaced than the rest at first, then it gets into serious morning jam power. i like the sample "just completely bypassed the whole relationship phase and went straight to the breakup"... a good closer for the cd. not as much my style though, at least not right now.

overall a good compilation. theres some serious slammerjammers and lots of twisted sounds. we know what to expect from this label and this comp doesnt give us any less than the tops. favorites 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7

www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
redline
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Dec 14, 2004 10:15
Hurry the fuck up and release this bitch!!

The Azax and Toxic rmx of Slayer is fucking awesome!!!!
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 14, 2004 15:03
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4443

it was released officially on dec 6.

wow i didnt realize it was a slayer remix... a fitting tribute as dimebag was shot on stage at a concert last week. may he rest in peace.           www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
redline
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Dec 14, 2004 22:45
Yeah RIP Dimebag......fuck are there some crazy fucks out there aren't there!!

Yeah, Rain is a remix of Slayer - Reign In Blood....

mmwwwoohoohoohoohahahahahaha
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 15, 2004 01:52
oops my mistake! dimebag was a member of pantera, not slayer. at least its the same genre, so i wasnt that far off. sorry dimebag.           www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
Dark_Dork
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Dec 15, 2004 02:15
Must... Listen... To... This... Compilation...
Only heard Azax and Toxic's track, and its a blaster.
Seems like Timecode's on fire... New Blood was a killah and i bet this cd is too.
Cheers guys
Scrambled Headz
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Dec 18, 2004 05:15
Quote:

On 2004-12-14 10:15, redline wrote:
Hurry the fuck up and release this bitch!!

The Azax and Toxic rmx of Slayer is fucking awesome!!!!

awesome???dude its fucking amazing
Regev really made me go buy the Slayer dvd 'Still Reigning'..

My personal favourite of the cd is
ARTIFACT-NOSFERATU and then Rain
all favs are:1, 2, 4, 5, 6.

Very nice cd from beginning to end
Timecode is really making a bang with this one!!
Its been in my cd player for 3 days full power!!           : Panaiz *25 Motorbrain :
PSYPRUS MADNESS_OUT NOW !
SPHINX

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 19, 2004 01:42

Awesome release

killer tracks by AZAX, MISTED, ARTIFACT AND RASTALIENS !!!

keep it up time code!
Le Lotus Bleu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : Dec 19, 2004 18:54

1. On the paper the combination between Azax & Toxic didn’t attract me much as i’m not a big fan of Azax. This opinion get radically changed while listening to Rain, let’s just say the track (heavy rocking feeling plus facetious melody) is bubbling over with energy ; the pressure-cooker is about to whistle.

2. Twisted System keep going with their pachydermic psychedelic trend. The springboks trio is back, leaving their rugby balloon out but keepin their strenght,stamina & strategy in order to drive you crazy ; beware , Mad Method could generate more injuries than a classical rugby match to your ears.

3. The Muppet have done another track in the style of their ‘From The Legend’ album, if you still don’t know their sound it’s psychedelic full on with a medieval touch. In my mind, Prince Of Darkness got the level of Cat Visions and Might & Magic which are my 2 favorites from their album.

4. As Artifakt cooked a warm evilish musical texture in his boiling cauldron, i dig this one more than his usual productions i’ve heard recently. You got a rendez-vous with Nosferatu, don’t miss it or be late (the guy never has people when the sun is set) coz he won’t miss your blood if you put him in a bad mood.

5. Phyx also called the best friend of dogs, makes us penetrate in a classical day-work of Cerbere in his track. So, you’ll listen dogs running after souls which are trying to escape outside the gates of hells, what a mess lots of glass broken all along the running pursuit.

6. I enjoyed The Debt from Tickets as much as i don’t like this new one. I don’t feel anything from listening to The Pre-Determination, neitheir real conviction nor soul.

7. Still in the thema ‘Artists aren’t always creative or inspired’, now the Rastaliens case. They’ve done what i call a ‘masked no idea’, it just consists in composing a fast track which is its main caracteristic. I was expecting much more from Rastaliens.

8. The track doesn’t start correctly for me as i can’t stand anymore these autotune effects in psytrance. Furthermore i find the track’s harmony to be a real chaos, not clear at all according to me.

9. Slug proposes a finer production with sweet woolly layers in the background bathing in a barking choral atmosphere plus a technoish hint. I’m also fond of the unexpected rupture at 6’16.

Highlights :1,3,4,9
Mark :7,5/10
psyreviews
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  71
Posted : Dec 19, 2004 20:32
Various

The Turning

Timecode (South Africa)

Well, crikey basically. Picture the scene: psyreviews is sat in his living room in the middle of December. It’s cold outside (baby), the fire’s on, and the energy is sizzling. Stick this CD in and… wallop, life is never quite the same again. Azax vs Toxic open up with Rain, and f*ck me with a dirty bit of scaffolding, this is a killer. About two minutes in, this mad melody drops. I’ve never heard anything like it, you’ll have to hear it to believe it. This will utterly destroy any dancefloor it gets introduced to, or your money back. The breakdown’s utter genius, then it goes huger and huger and you may well be left with a smile on your face, and some hope that there’s still some life in psytrance yet. Twisted System’s Mad Method is bloody good as well, it’s hectic and swarming with great production, a bonkers midsection, and a crescendo that can only be described as splongey-bounced tom-beepery. Misted Muppet’s Prince of Darkness is typical misted style – crunchy yet melodic (i.e. there’s notes everywhere… are they classically trained or do they just randomly hit keys like rabid speedfreak cats fighting on a keyboard?) Who cares. The topend is literally suspended above you like stars, the breakdown is outstanding, and after which it’s only going in one direction: up. Artifakt’s Nosferatu may have the most sinister breakdown ever recorded, and has a deliriously danceable drop, while Phyx’s Hounds Of Hell bustles and chugs up to a monster, boise-assault final run. Tickets’ The Pre-Determination has an utterly wonderful melody – almost French folk music or something? It’s a nice, spacious groove that puts a smile on the face and doesn’t take itself too seriously. Very, very good indeed. The wonderful Rastaliens are present with The Secret Side, a fuller and deeper groove compared with the rest of the album and with some outstanding movement over the topend. Triskell’s Here Knows When lands us in smooth territory, building up into a nice riff with wonderful ise of melodies, before Slug brings things to a close with Encoded, an utterly original piece that you just have to hear… it’s an anthem, but it’s not anthemic. If you see what I mean. Which you will, of course, when you spend your Xmas money from Aunt Dot on this album: more surprises than a barrelful of pre-op transsexuals, more grit than an aggregate factory and more spice than a convention of Indian chefs making spicey food for the Spice Girls while wearing Old Spice, it all adds up to one wonderful shiny plastic circle.

raider
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Dec 20, 2004 11:32
What's going on?!?! The Misted Muppet track is so supreme, it makes the other tracks sound lousy. Seriously, this track is so misplaced. The quality is obviously higher, it has more deepth and is freaking awesome in anyway. Not that I don't like the other tracks, I really enjoy the style from "Timecode" and especially the Tickets and Artifakt tracks... but they all blend into the background in the light in the beautiful and wild Prince Of Darkness.

Great compilation, if it wasn't for the big misplacing... maybe I should just be thankful for it
Kimotor

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Dec 20, 2004 22:32
greattttttt compilation!

all tracks are good!

my favorites are 1 & 3

Rain
storming!!!!
i must say i didn't like their old style, i was surprised!
amazing track from azax and toxic!

Prince Of Darkness
Misted!!! ahhhhh i love em!
dark legend, storming melodies, mind blowing fx!!!f@ckkkk AMAZING break in end!!!! my mind blew up! dancefloor monster!

time code
killer compilation!

the cover is also amazing!
          soccer, girls, music... the good life
Fuzulu
Fuzulu

Started Topics :  58
Posted : Dec 22, 2004 21:14
true about misted muppet .. these guys make some amazing music ... also the azax vs toxic is a treat!
Mark(Dalmat)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Dec 23, 2004 23:24
twisted system and tickets track bombbbbs specaily tickets love all his last works

waiting for album!!
Shimmer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Dec 24, 2004 00:15
Artifakt's track rules the world! This simply floored me...dramatic twists, exploding kicks...this thing will kill those who don't respect it!           _______________________________-______________________________
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A The Turning (Timecode Records, December 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance