Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - The Numinous (Ketuh Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - The Numinous (Ketuh Records 2005) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Oct 26, 2005 19:55
V/A – The Numinous

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/am3dh (front) + http://tinyurl.com/atd49 (back)

Artist: Various
Title: The Numinous
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Ketuh Records (Portugal/Austria)
Cat. #: KTHCD011
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 17 October 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’46” Gappeq – Tower Of Babel
02. 07’44” Pondscum - Formal Absences Of Precious Things
03. 07’10” Silent Horror – Hayblaah (Rmx)
04. 07’28” Iron Madness - Jihad Of Islam (Rmx)
05. 07’17” Wizack Twizack – Sweeden Weeden 2
06. 06’36” Sungirl vs. Iron Madness – Madness Of Sun
07. 07’56” Xatrik – Waki Tabacci
08. 07’04” Slug – Break Out
09. 06’49” Psyboriginal vs. Daheen – Freak (Rmx)
10. 08’55” Tryambaka & D_Maniacs – La Cosa Nostra

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/c75er (all tracks!)

Review:

Spiritually elevated psytrance – allegedly!

So, what is numinous all about? It’s a word first coined by a German theologian, Rudolf Otto in his work The Idea of the Holy. It describes that sense of awe-inspiring wonder, which one might feel in certain places or situations where one senses the presence of God or spiritual beings - the sense of 'other-ness' about the situation… Indeed a pompous title for the newest Ketuh compilation – a label on the rise with a steady increase in quality… The last compilation Hyperspatial Chrysalis was really awesome, so that’s gonna be hard to top… Let’s try though!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Gappeq – Tower Of Babel
This is the fifth Ketuh compilation to open with a track by Czech producer Jiri Tomasek – and as usual we’re exposed to a highly experimental track… Just check out the gritty intro – and the hard-hitting, metallic, punchy bassline + the flaring acid-lines… Also the breakdown is farrrrking brilliant – would mix in well with most Parvati-choons! Pure underground hypertrance! Great stuff – very trippy!

#02: Pondscum - Formal Absences Of Precious Things
Aussie producer Luke Danielewski is also becoming a Ketuh regular – with his VERY dark, deep, technoid style… I’ve had some problems with this particular style in the past – but it seems he’s lightened up just a little bit… Don’t get me wrong, this is still VERY dark, horror-trance – crossing well over into minimal techno… Reminds me of Kemic-Al, oCeLoT or a more psychedelic version of The Delta… Luckily Danielewski makes sure to season the whole thing with a healthy dose of psychedelia… Good, but not among the best tracks here…

#03: Silent Horror – Hayblaah (Rmx)
“We’re gonna steal a van full of drugs and make a good escape! You’re gonna die in this city...Die! Die! Die! This stinking nest of hatred – we’re gonna kill ‘em all!” Silent Horror is Jigar Shah from Pune, India… He made his debut recently on the Refused compilation released by Devils Mind Records – and as you might have guessed, this is more of the same dark, relentless Halloween-trance… Packed to the rim with haunting, razor-sharp acid-lines and hard-hitting basslines… All over the place! Acid galore! Welcome to Acid Ville! Very Phyx-like really! Would go down very well in a Goa Gil set… I’m all about acid – but damn, this is too much of a good thing… Acid overkill! Man – I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but: Turn down the acid-level already! Still a pretty decent track though…

#04: Iron Madness - Jihad Of Islam (Rmx)
“Who’s that? Why didn't you tell me these things were immune to silver and garlic? I didn't know! Mmhmm... If you did, would you have told me? I think you know the truth when you hear it. Mmhmm...Then why didn't he kill you?” Ziv Viner from Israel is next – with the controversial track name… I’m not gonna go into politics – so let’s talk about the track…The acid is still all over the place here – but it’s more balanced out! Nice! Check out the very well-constructed peaks and changes in pace here… It’s nerve-wrecking at times! Cool track!

#05: Wizack Twizack – Sweeden Weeden 2
Sweedish producer Tommy Axelsson really impressed me with his track on the Yage Records compilation Electric Embryo released earlier this year… That track had a very raw, edgy sound – with rolling sequencing-work and distorted melodies… And sure enough – this is more Swedish forest trance… Pure underground stuff riddled with acid… Just the way I like it! Sweeeeeet tweeed leeet track!

#06: Sungirl vs. Iron Madness – Madness Of Sun
As on the latests Ketuh compilation, Russian producer Yana Polishchuk is in cahoots with Ziv Viner… They really impressed on Hyperspatial Chrysalis and I’m happy to say that this track is equally good… This is a bombardment of your senses with wild, intense, multilayered, highly complex psytrance… Not as dark as some of the previous tracks, but equally deep and instantly trippy… Check out the screaming whales in the background… Awesome track!

#07: Xatrik – Waki Tabacci
South African Greg Hamber released his debut album Project A on Digital Psionics last year… A very unique, complex album that really challenged your senses… I’m afraid this track isn’t quite as good as most of the album tracks – well, that was hard to top and this is still a pretty decent tune! Tons of digital farts and electronic burps, seasoned with neurotic melodies, pumping basslines and a big splash of acid… Pretty good tune!

#08: Slug – Break Out
We stay in South Africa with this tune by Liam Gibbs… A guy who also collaborated on the above mentioned album… This is indeed very South African – would fit right in on a Timecode or Nexus Media release… Very bouncy and funky – and more melodic than some of the previous tracks… But the somehow the novelty is starting to wear off a little… And what’s up with that demented melody that pops up occasionally? This would probably be a stand-out track on another compilation, but the competition is fierce on this compilation, so here it’s just plain good…

#09: Psyboriginal vs. Daheen – Freak (Rmx)
“If there’s trouble, all us freaks have is each other!” Marc Freund from Australia made his debut on the last Ketuh compilation – I was really impressed by his crazy Logic Bomb-on-PCP sound… On this track he collaborates with fellow Australian David Le Breton – and I hold him responsible for the cliché metal guitars and strange vocals here… What the fuck? It all starts out so well – with a pounding, yet melodic approach… Bizarre really, but somehow strangely appealing – until the dreaded sample and the guitars make their appearances. Yuck - this sound like something Skazi would pull of… This is definitely not my cup of chai!

#10: Tryambaka & D_Maniacs – La Cosa Nostra
“Funny how? He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did you say? Funny how? You know - you're funny! Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?” Brace yourself – this is the mafia morning tune! Tiago Pimentel from Portugal is another Ketuh regular – now working with someone called D_Maniacs… The first half is pretty experimental – in both a positive and negative way… I’m not too fond of the cheddar-like, fluffy melodies – but on the other hand I kinda like the lazy, yet deep rhythm section… The track changes direction half-way through though – it shifts into more sustained, acid-ridden psytrance… With raven cries and Goodfellas samples! A funny, yet not too interesting track…

Earlier I mentioned how Ketuh has managed to steadily increase the quality of their releases – and I stand by that. This is a very sweet compilation - slightly better than the awesome Hyperspatial Chrysalis. There are enough awesome tracks here – and despite maybe the last two tracks, I like everything on this compilation… The flow is pretty damn good and we’re exposed to a variety of styles within darkish psytrance… There’s something for everyone who likes it dark here!

The art work by Symmetric Design is very cool – I guess the inspiration came from one of the classic Carl Cox covers… All in all, this is a very solid compilation… Tons of great tracks here – and a few misses! Also, I didn’t get the whole spirituality theme… But oh well, you can’t win them all I guess… Devoted Ketuh fans + fans of acid-ridden, darkish psytrance should most definitely check this out! … Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 3(!), 4, 5(!), 6(!!), 7

DeathPosture

External links:
Ketuh Records: http://www.ketuhrecords.com
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/541663
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/ab5at
TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/7tudz
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/d9nvl
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/doad5
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/cz3hf
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/caqqn
Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/8srzg
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/cpd87
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Oct 26, 2005 20:31
this one got nothing on v/a Radical Simplicity, Ketuh's second compilation and by far their best, IMO. but this is probably the best Ketuh release this year..

the Gappeq track is excellent as usual. I liked the Pondscum, and the Xatrik as well. The Psyboriginal, Wizack Twizack, and Tryambaka tracks are pretty good, so right there is a lot more quality that you can usually find on any other compilation these days.

I usually find a lot of Ketuh released tracks high on the dancefloor potential, but not nearly as heady as Parvati, Trishula, or MoE releases. This one is better, but still more party music than soundtrack for deep exploration. But I guess that's what they're going for, so it's a success in that respect.

cheers
          ..it's just another party..
krokolv

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Oct 26, 2005 22:48
Great release by ketuh rcs. It has very kinds of night trance in it , wich is good to have in a cd. iron madness tracks are really , especially that one with sungirl (that's my favourite on the cd). Silent horror is within it's style , total madness... lol Well congratulations to p_mac for this great V\A
electric stimulation

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Oct 27, 2005 00:01
I agree with the above posts, this is probably the best v/a from ketuh.
The tracklist is great with all acts to identify great quality, darkish sounds within iron power.

My favourites :
Silent Horror – Hayblaah
Iron Madness - Jihad Of Islam
Wizack Twizack – Sweeden Weeden 2
Sungirl vs. Iron Madness – Madness Of Sun

All the credits to p_mac for this great v/a --- till the next one

boooomas
          -----//-----
100% pure plesure
Karpatherian law of mystical experiments
P_Mac
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Oct 27, 2005 21:12
Mr. DP as usual your honesty is your strength!
Thank you for the review.

Psychic Imprint will not disapoint           
www.boomfestival.org
www.ketuhrecords.com

DONT SEND MP3 SAMPLES PLS!!!!!
mash

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Oct 28, 2005 04:55
congratulations p_mac on another killer release and good to see the oz artist going a step higher each time.My favourite track has to be the freak rmx...a killer dancefloor bomb that has been rocking every dancefloor in australia in the last few months and i m sure ,wud continue to do so in the months to come.
Bloodclot
Bloodclot

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Oct 28, 2005 07:53
nice compy - tho the iron madness tunes sound the same everywhere
PSYTOUR-night oracle recs
Psytour

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Oct 28, 2005 12:44
some tracks i liked a lot (tracks 3,4,5). but generaly its a good work P_Mac

wait for your next cd now...

best wishes from greece
          *Night Oracle Records
www.night-oracle-records.com

*Vertigo Records/Indigo Recs
*Femina Mandragora/Rhakti Dei
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Oct 28, 2005 15:40
my favorite tracks are n.1 and n.2 (thix last one, surprised me a lot).
the 1st one is very good 2 start a dj set..gives u that feeling of good intro music (what the hell is intro music? ) well i was a dj i would like 2 star with thix tune.
keep up.           ...
X-static

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 29, 2005 19:48
I like a lot Ketuh style- night -morning transission , I think that this comp. is good example of it. But to tell you the true I did not like the last 3 tracks , IMO its sound too cheesy after listening monsters like Wizak Twizak , Sun Girl & Iron Madness , Gappeq , Pondscum - these are the best tracks for me!
I realy diging first 7 tracks , working so good ,but the end is disopointing . But still its a greate release!
Keep it underground!!!
rajatrao2
Inactive User
Started Topics :  11
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 16:11
Iron Madness vs Sungirl----->fckin wicked track, love the melodies...good work Ziv
Rajat
Brain Hunters
Brain Hunters

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 23:05
hi...

heard the compi....was nice!!...good work mac!!....

the best trak for me is the slug one...killa...my second choice tryambaka(tiago cabron!!) vs d-maniacs....iron madness also is great(good triks)....gappeq one also good(sperimental sounds)....

uhhhhh........yeahhhhh......mr psybo-sound...pinche mark!!!.....i think that the trak is a bit commercial, but with the psybo killa sounds, so its a good one!!...hope to hear more tunes....

good work ketuh.....ketuh rules!!!

dance among the spirits
wicked wires

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Oct 30, 2005 23:21
hi...

nice choice pmac...as always....smashing compi u got for us....keep it up!!

i think the best trak is from slug....but all the traks are great...not too much the silent horror, but good as well....killa comp!!

psyboriginal...keep it up mate...good trak man..

best vibes and good luck to ketuh!!
Greennun

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Oct 31, 2005 10:08
Krtuh has done it again, these guys are getting better with every comp, i cant stop listening to the tracks, pondscum,iron madness, slug and of course our own indian boy silent horror:::Superb all my favourites.

Keep it up ketuh and thank you.
Dark_Dork
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Oct 31, 2005 16:47
The Wizack Twizack tune is really really nice
Also Iron Madness and Sungirl's collabaration is groovy. I love that lead sound!           Dressed to kill you look so right... I am drunk with lust tonite.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - The Numinous (Ketuh Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance