Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Solstice Black Compilation #01 (Solstice Music 2006)
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A Solstice Black Compilation #01 (Solstice Music 2006)

libra

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Feb 20, 2006 02:13
finaly some serious music!

respect
Boohna

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Feb 23, 2006 16:40
Hehehe

X-Dream - Insanity - Reall cool one

Pure Intelligent Techno:D           Beyond
myspace.com/beyondelectronica
Check it out!
ZENLINK
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Mar 15, 2006 23:55
Solstice Black Compilation

Artists: Various
Title: Solstice Black Compilation 01
Label: Solstice Music

Tracklist:

1. Eat Static - Xeno-Phonic
2. Control F - Release-Rythm-Circus
3. X-Dream - Insanity
4. Koxbox - Geomancer 2004
5. C.J Bolland - Mole Patrol
6. Thomas P. Heckman - Close Encounter
7. Kloq - Kloq Music 2
8. Prime Suspekt - Symthetic Love
9. Synthetic - Evil Thing
10. Juno Reactor - Angel & Man (X-Dream Remix)

There has been quite a few quality releases with crossovers between trance and techno over the last few months. It is not suprising that this continues, however I find it very refreshing to see something like this comming out on Solstice Music. With a lineup like this, you'd think it has no possibility of going wrong... Let's check out the tracks!

DJ Xavier Morel, the person behind compiling this album is a French artist who's gained solid trust from artists and listeners around the world for his exquisite musical selection sense and unparalleled mixing technique.

01: Eat Static - Xeno-Phonic

To open the ball we dance for a short while with the legendary eat static. These guys have been tweaking those knobs for as long as I can remember, and they've seldom let me down. This track is no exception, a wonderful piece of music. As so often before with eat static there is quite alot of elements involved. Breakbeats, straight techno beats, some ethnoinspired singing, lots of acidlines and ofcourse it's groovy and spacey. perhaps a bit to short, but thats a minor complaint. Nice opening!

02: Control-F - Release -Rythm-Circus

Control-F continues with his Release-Rythm-Circuse. It opens as a horrible anthem-like late-90's trance piece of the worst european kind, but luckilly this lasts only for about a minute. After this torture it turns in to a nice enough track with some edgy baselines. Towards the end the theme from the opening is brought back in to the mix and totally ruins it for me. Dissapointing track!

03: X-Dream - Insanity

X-Dream is another one of those standout acts in our scene. They've allways managed to change and explore new musical landscapes. This is a storming piece of rhytmically oriented techno-infused trance(or is it trance-infused techno?). It's swirls loosley around some definition of the term "Insanity".... "Insanity. State of being insane. Unsoundness or derangement of mind without recognition of ones own illness. Insanity is rather a social and legal than medical term an implies mental disorder resulting in unability to manage ones affaires and preform ones social duties.....The term covers a variety of disorders such as manic depressive insanity, dementia, paranoia, general paralyses and alchoholic insanities....." Phew! And it does not stop there, It goes on and on while the track turns more and more....well...insane.

04: KoxBox - Geomancer 2004

Geomancer is a track that should be well known to psytrancers. This is the 2004 version of the track. You can hear what track it is, and some of the feeling of the original is maintained. Still, I think it's better to see this as a new track all together. It's more minimalistic and stripped down than the original, still this really is filled up with lots of spaced out sounds, some familiar (and some unfamiliar" melodies, lots of groove and a dash of voicesamples. Oh, and yes - It's all very good!

05: C.J Bolland - Mole Patrol

C.J Bolland is a guy you don't see every day on psytrance oriented labels. This is a pretty melodic, but still essentially dark piece of techno music, but it still sounds pretty trancey. This has become a track that I've got a love/hate relationship to. First of all I love it because it's a great track. Period. But I also hate it becaus i find my self walking around on the street humming the main baseline, whisteling it in the shower, and when I want to go to sleep at night - there it is! I can't get it out of my head...

06: Thomas P. Heckman

I know Heckman is a legend for a lot of techno fans, but I've never realy listened to his music before. This is a pretty straightforward technotrack, and it really doesn't do it for me. It's harder than ther previous track by C.J Bolland, but it's also alot more monotonus. I actually find it rather boring, and quite possibly the weakest link on this compilation.

07: Kloq - Kloq music 2

This is along the same path as Thomas P. Heckmans track, except this is pretty interesting stuff. It's a hard and pretty pumping piece, but where Heckmans track sounds boring and repetitive this has alot more going for it. There are plenty of elements being spun around here and it turns in to a nice blend suitable for both homelistening and dancefloor mayhem. Nice!

08: Prime Suspect - Synthetic Love

Prime Suspect is Jan Muller from X-Dream and Xavier Morel, the guy who compiled this album. You can ceirtanly hear the x-dream influences here, but it's tilting more towards the techno-side of things than x-dream usually do. It's hard and rough, never sounds boring and has a real 'drive' to it. If you're in the right mood there's not a chance you'll be sitting still while this is playing. very nice!

09: Synthetic - Evil Thing

Evil thing is a pretty slow track, but still manages to blend in nicely with the techy stuff on this compilation. There's a ceirtan 80's feel to this, It feels as it wouldn't be terribly ouf of place in the soundtrack of miami vice. Don't get me wrong though, it's a great piece of music. It might not get you on the dancefloor, but will work wonders for you sofa groovers. Quality!

10: Juno Reactor - Angel & Man(X-Dream remix)

Ok, so you're in the recordstore and see this album just standing there. You look at the tracklist, and can't really decide. Should I get this one? You go through th tracks, and finally your eyes see this. An X-dream remix of this track? Bam! this is when all doubt is forgotten, and give your vis aa good spanking. Remixing this is a bald move, but X-dreams pumping techy influences actually work great in this track. Still...I've got one complaint: It only lasts for about five minutes! And when it's done it sort of just leaves you hanging, wanting more... Still a great track!

Final remarks:

It's great to see solstice releasing something like this, it's ceirtanly a turn in the right direction for them, That being said, this compilation wont be for everyone. It's one of the more techno influenced compilations I've seen in the psyscene and for me it definently works! Not all tracks are standout material, but alltogether this is easily one of the more interesting offerings as of late. Recomended!

"It occurred to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception".

Albert Einstein, speaking about his theory of relativity.

www.myspace.com/zenlink
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : Mar 16, 2006 14:10
Quote:

Ok, so you're in the recordstore and see this album just standing there. You look at the tracklist, and can't really decide. Should I get this one? You go through th tracks, and finally your eyes see this. An X-dream remix of this track? Bam! this is when all doubt is forgotten, and give your vis aa good spanking. Remixing this is a bald move, but X-dreams pumping techy influences actually work great in this track. Still...I've got one complaint: It only lasts for about five minutes! And when it's done it sort of just leaves you hanging, wanting more... Still a great track!

I'd like nothing more than an entire album made in this style.. err maybe a 3some with some hot twins, but other than that..
          "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Apr 18, 2006 19:31
Offtopic complaint:

I've recieved my album from psyshop. And the album is .. Grey. It's not black, I'll tell you that. Anyone else noticed this lie!?

The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Apr 18, 2006 22:01
Quote:

On 2006-03-16 14:10, traveller wrote:
Quote:

I'd like nothing more than an entire album made in this style.. err maybe a 3some with some hot twins, but other than that..

Yes, please X-dream, explore this style! It's been years since I last heard a trance track that could actually compete with any track released by Twisted Rec.           "Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Apr 18, 2006 22:33
Very nice crossover release worth the spending if you're into this electro-techno psy. Juno Reactor - Angel & Man: what a track .
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : May 5, 2006 15:09
Having had this for much longer time now.. imo the koxbox track is the weakest link here. The rest are farkin' sweet           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Solstice Black Compilation #01 (Solstice Music 2006)
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance