First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Samurai [Yabai Records] 2007

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Apr 17, 2007 07:33
this is the 5th release from japan based yabai records, who have been impressing from their 1st compilation,kamikaze, to their latest offering - samurai . their line ups have always been impressive and this release isn't different.

track by track break down:
1. digital talk vs josh (outer signal) - no rules [145 bpm]: here we have a collaberation between veteran french producers digital talk and josh of the 3d vision's new project, outer signal. the percussion and work on the bassline is unmistakeably the work of the french masters. the track pretty much keeps pumping n pumping, with the groovy bassline, and the synth work is nice, a lot like the recent outer signal tracks released recently,especially around the break in the 6th minute.the synths are pretty acidic and the ambience of the track is spooky to say the least. and digital talk's fx work keeps things banging . one thing that surprised me was the bpm of the track, i think its the slowest track that digital talk have released in a while, normally their tracks are at 146-147 bpm. regardless, the slower bpm only makes for heavier percussion . all in all a banging track and a hell of a start to this compilation. 8/10.

2. abomination - paradive [146 bpm]: here we have the israeli duo abomination presenting us with another great track. this track sort of reflects their evolution of their style since their 'enemy within' album. the track sorts of with a cool sample of what's unmistakeably alec baldwin talking about some sort of virus with this muted at kick happening in the background. they dont waste any time getting into the groove of things, and here we have another groovy stormer. their synth work is great, and its got a hell load of attitude, and would pretty much leave any dancefloor shredded apart . the energy of the whole track is superb and infectious . the part about 2.20 is slick, the synths are like playing with your head and the power levels just keep on increasing. really great stuff. around 3.50 they introduce these pads which add sinister feeling to the track, and at the break at 4.20, the tension is thick - theres definately trouble in paradise ahahah. soon their trademark melodic leads take over with some SICK twisted distortion work on those synths, like some sort of screetchy metallic sound. i love it . and when the track blasts off - wow, what a story. a gem of a track and sure to cause mayhem when played. 10/10!

3. psychotic micro - no going back [146 bpm]: the micros are back after their debut solo album, to present 'no going back'. stylistically its similar to the stuff on their 'edge of insanity' album. it starts with a characteristic micro melody, the psuedo arabic, semi cheesey kind of synth they use. with some eery ambient sounds and what sounds like a whistle of a choo choo train, the track starts. the bassline is clear cut and pretty much what you'd expect from the duo. by about 1.40 the trademark sounds and fx are back and later their crazy synth work makes an entry. whats different about this track - later in the track they use this really cool sound like a sort of distorted heavy metal riff which works well in building up the track, and then ofcourse the micros do their magic with their twisted leads. the buildup in the 4th minute would pretty much be the best part of the track, and the 'no going back' sample just destroys you! ahah what follows is mayhem with another twisted lead, with some wobbly lead in the background, sort of like seroxat's work. all in all it doesnt live up to the last 2 tracks, but its not bad at all. a pretty decent track which keeps things going well. 7.5/10

4. b-55 vs fr0zen gh0st - disengage [146 bpm] : hear we an interesting collaberation between yabai regulars b-55 and newly signed fr0zen gh0st from south africa. iv always dug fr0zen gh0st's dirty twisted sounds, and b-55's hard tunes, so i was really looking forward to this. it starts with some pretty freaky conversation between a woman and her abductor, something straight out of a dubbed japanese cult movie - hell yeah!. soon a dirty gruesome bassline kicks in. in the words of borat, "i lyke" . from the very get go you know this track means business, the pads are eery as f*ck and the samples that come and go just add this whole element of mystery and chaos to the track. by 1.20 the track is grooving but those samples are still coming and going - like a mind game. 'ill treat u so mercilessly ull never want to leave' - and bam those sicks leads kick in! the leads are really characteristic frozen ghost, and reminescent of his album 'just one byte'. especially the distorted gargling like lead that comes. the break at the 3rd minute - the samples are intense! and the build up is just waiting to 'disengage' ahaha . the track evolves seamlessly getting harder and harder, and the combination of the twizted leads and mean ass bassline along with slick sample work provides a sick, ruthless rollercoaster ride. things are back on track with this track, another stomper . 9/10           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Apr 17, 2007 07:33
5. ear worm - activation [146 bpm]: earworm is a new act who hails from new york usa. iv heard some of his work before, and its pretty much massive twilight music. this is no different, starts off with a few sounds here and there and then comes the most massive, phat bassline iv heard in a while. you cant help but start nodding along with this track. it sounds alot like like a digital talk's work, especially with that infectious bassline. even the way the fx sounds are used remind me alot of digital talk - alot of metallic swirls and wooshes. when the highs finally set in the track is just ear candy . 'all personnel prepare for activation'!. really neat track. the percussion work is tight, and the track evolves really well - mostly by the great fx work. by around 2.30 a nice laser like synth sets in.the break at 3.30 is pretty cool when the bass line changes its super sweet. again the synths at 4.15 add a new sense of craziness. and another change in bassline at 5.15! some really stellar stuff . and the final peak at the end of the 5th minute is slick as hell with leads that remind me of absolum's work. strange weird and yet full of power . for a first release this is massive. really looking forward to future releases from ear worm. 10/10

6. toxic - crossing sords [145 bpm] : yabai regular toxic next delivers 'crossing sords'. the kick-bass arrangement is pretty hard and when i first had the compilation playing i couldn't recognize it as toxic's work. a minute or so the track starts picking up with eery ambient sounds and by 1.30 the tracks pretty much in full form. the hit hats and snares are pretty much regular toxic work, and by the 2nd minute work there is a nice lead introduced. subsequently there's the vocal 'hear the revolution' which comes in and the track kind of takes off. the tune is pretty nice and will definitely get things moving in a party. there is a break in the beginning of the 3rd minute which is pretty neat - i like the fat synth work there - and the tweaking done to it is really cool along with funny sample of some dude talking gibberish. the track then slowly picks up with new leads. the track sounds a lot like the older toxic style which is great. all in all, this isn't a stomper but its still packs a punch. 7.5/10

7. phatmatix - samurai [148 bpm]: here phatmatix presents the title track of the compilation ' samurai '. i thoroughly enjoyed his album released last year on yabai, and was really looking forward to this track. one thing worth noticing is the higher tempo, this is were the compilation gets a lot harder. the track starts off with some intense soundscapes but gets into the kick bass without wasting much time. the kick bass arrangement is super hard, and gives you the feeling of being part of a horror flick. golum like samples coming and going and other creepy sounds come and go. really great fx work. this is scary music the way only phatmatix makes it. screetchy leads, with stretched echoes and metallic sweeps, just wonderful. at the end of the 1st minute the track is moving like a monster. in the beginning of the 2nd minute there is a new lead, sort of like super distorted which is just ear candy; a really infectious tune and the track sort of bubbles up with it. the break in the next minute is something iv heard in many of phatmatix's track, its like the breather, the lull before the storm. hehe. this track is seriously spooky, full of mind games and great synth work. as the track evolves it gets harder, scarier and crunchier . the break down in the 5th minute is great and the tune that he comes up with is just twisted! the track loses it in the beginning of the 6th minute after the 5th minute, which is full of mind games hehe, only to have another a short series of mind games which peaks off at the end of the 6th minute. a great track with so many intense layers - it lives up to what one could expect of the title track. this is going to cause mayhem whenever its played - 10/10!

8. fr0zen gh0st - giggly twig [148 bpm] : this is fr0zen gh0st's 2nd apperance on the cd and this time around its a solo effort. starts of with some cool glass shattering sounds and the deep kick bass sets in quickly. lots of screams and screetches let you know that this is going to be another intense ride into madness. the beginning of the 1st minute the tracks moving in and soon theres this whoosh sound that leads up to this sick twisted synth. the bassline is pretty wobbly and jumpy which makes the track all the more fun. after a small break with all kinds of bug sounds, and pretty much demented leads the track picks up by 2.50. the lead introduced then is mad and like nothing iv heard . people who've heard his previous work will be able to relate to the chaotic sounds he uses. really crazy stuff. the break around the 4th minute is chaotic with the glass shattering sounds, samples and super demented tune, and a freaky wobbly lead that i found pretty funny. finally by the 5th minute the track starts moving again like a huge slug of a monster. the leads at 5.30 are insane and will leave lots of mindless stompers on the dancefloor.this track is a journey into madness, and is bound to be a favorite to many. another killer on this awesome release. 9/10

9. technodrome - liquid night [148 bpm] : the last track of the cd is by israeli artist technodrome. after a start full of engine sounds and what sounds like a comentator speaking of a race the kick bass kicks in. there are lots of familiar sounds like the big whoosh that leads up to a break a phase change. the bassline is groovy, and the leads can be described only as mechanical mayhem hehe. the tracks bassline evolves really well and around the 5th minute theres this new lead - which sort of reminds me of a heavy distortion guitar. its something i havent heard before from technodrome and its pretty nifty. the break around the 5th minute comes in unexpectedly. from there on it pretty much peaks out - and the new leads that come in are sweet . the leads sort of remind of me of cpu's older style as well as a little bit of azax syndrom, only more hectic. another intense track which lives up to what one would expect from technodrome and a good end to a great compilation. 7.5/10.

overview: this is a pretty solid compilation well worth a buy. its a twilight lover's dream, and just about all the tracks are killers no fillers . the ear worm track is intense, and the fr0zen gh0st tracks are insane - i hope its an accurate trailer to his 2nd album which will be released later this on yabai. all the tracks deliver making this one of the best releases this year along with the likes of stomper's agony. great going to atom n yuji in presenting another solid release

favorites: 1,2!!,4!!,5,7!!,8!

overall rating: 8.5-9/10           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
sHiVaMoOon

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Apr 17, 2007 08:58
mods dlt
sHiVaMoOon

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Apr 17, 2007 09:24
Nice work Max Earworm, Abomination and Phatmatix get my top votes, dancefloor bombs!
If you like abomination look out for my comp rlsing end of next month on Rudraksh Recs, two bombs for ya
          (Rudraksh / Amaris records)
VA "DEEP FRIED" compiled by Dj Shiva Moon out now on Rudraksh Records!
VA Ahimsa double cd compilation out now!
VA " Fry or Die " under construction!
www.rudrakshrecords.com
www.amarisrecords.com
cacofonix
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  29
Posted : Apr 17, 2007 10:14
frozen ghost,phatmatix, technodrome r killer

@shiv: good to see u back

www.vantaravichitra.com
http://soundcloud.com/cacofonix11
goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Apr 17, 2007 19:29
abomination and frozen ghost are definately the highlight tracks on this cd - really great compilation for those who love south african style twists and bassline except for technodrome and psycho micro's tracks these are all pure twisted psychedelic bombs
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Apr 19, 2007 01:15
A very interesting compilation just heard it today, and i think abomination and toxic have killed it great layering adn the toxic track had a very groovy bassline for a change good stuff, the frozen ghost b-55 combo has done wonders too, the earworm track was great, loved the synths but i felt the bass lacked punch in the track.

Psy micro has disappointed once again after their album and phatmatix track was OK nothin special i dont understand why all the phatmatix tracks sound alike, technically speaking they are not but the sound is preety much same in comparison to the album on yabai last year.

All in all frozen ghosts dirty mid range was pretty killer i felt, it just overhauls the other details in their track and a nice V/a from yabai

One more bite ??

bom bhole

“What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 19, 2007 23:17
Best track for me.....Frozen Ghost - Giggly Twigg!

Beartrap - SA

www.myspace.com/djsarasin
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beartrap-Productions/35950216057
DJ SET DOWNLOAD:
www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWqeyTf0Uk
!Ce M@n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Apr 20, 2007 00:20
Awesome V.a and neat review by Squirm..was jus waitin for some 1 to review it.. .. very nice trax By Digital talk/outer signal,abomination,b-55 n frozen ghost,ear worm ,phatmatix and track by frozen ghost -giggly twigly is the best track after samurai produced by phatmatix..
I see some change in phatmatix style ...and its realy cool
..lookin fwd for more releases like samurai ...
yabai recds r gonno go a long way ahead !!
boom to all da artists and yabai recd !

0x00000PSy
frozenghost
Frozen Ghost

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Apr 23, 2007 21:19
YEEEEHA

Here's a free track for all...

http://files.filefront.com/Frozen_Ghost___Rapscallionwav/;7318885;/fileinfo.html

BOOOOOOOM!
          http://www.myspace.com/psyfrozenghost
http://www.myspace.com/dirtymotion
http://www.myspace.com/disasterpeacerecords
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Apr 24, 2007 00:06
ahaha another freebie? thanks alot
-angad           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
Deranger
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Apr 25, 2007 00:30
Killaaaa VA very twisted :]
MorNinG MaGiC

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 25, 2007 10:42
GOD DAMN .. the nasty soundz that are in this cd ...! ufff !
some blasting juicy hard hitting twilight bombz in here ..!
YABAI RECORDS have once again .. shown the sense of direction they want to take there next ventures which preety much seems to me is in the RIGHT DIRECTION ...!

for me PHATMATIX - SAMURAI is definetly the stand out trax in here hehe ..! sorry people but i luv stef work a little too much... the trax grows on u the layer the production there is something u can always say hearing a phatmatix trax is the quality and the detailing that is involved in the entire trax produced and arranged ..! well U CANT IGNORE HIS WORK CAN U ??

i liked the compilation over all though other traxs that stand out for me here would be :-

2. abomination - paradive [146 bpm]<-- neat stuff the synth work is killer i must say , baseline has changed though awaiting their future works .

4. b-55 vs fr0zen gh0st - disengage [146 bpm] & 8. fr0zen gh0st - giggly twig [148 bpm] <--- FrOzen GhOst gives us a glimpse of what is in store for us ... his upcoming compilation on MMD records COLD CONCLUSION and SOLO album on YABAI REC will be worth to watch out for ..!

5. ear worm - activation [146 bpm]<-- massive n intense some gr8 work done here , awaiting to hear more .!

6. toxic - crossing sords [145 bpm] <-- groovey some nice work done here ..! a diff change from the regular guitar rift toxic traxs //!

all in all a very complete VA i must say all the best to all involved to ATOM n YUJI ..>! best of all luck for your future ventures ..!

@ SQUIRM ---> BEeR DriNkiNG helps ..!
it seEms u had ample time and have come up wid good thoughts to write this 1 GOoOD OnE bRo KeEp Em CoMInG ..!

LUV N LITE TO ALL INVOLVED ..!
BOooOm ..!

Dimitri Zara
Dimitri Zara

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 25, 2007 16:01
really killa va!

Bob Lob Law
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Apr 27, 2007 08:21
very good v.a,awesome tracks,my favourites r digital talk & josh/abomination/b-55 frozen ghost/earworm/& phatmatix.
big boom to Atom and Yuji and keep these awesome releases coming

RaknahS MooB!

p.s look out for future Earworm material..this guy is gonna drop some massive bombs on our dancefloors!!!!
          It is my FIRM BELIEF that it is a mistake to hold FIRM BELIEFS.

"GOD SAVE US FROM RELIGION".
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Samurai [Yabai Records] 2007

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance