Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A. - Red (TIP World, 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V.A. - Red (TIP World, 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 25, 2004 00:24
Artist: Various Artists
Title: Red
Label: TIP World
Format: CD
Released: May 2004
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/tip1cd035_b.jpg

Review:

There’s no doubt that TIP World (former TIP) is one of the most influential labels on the psychedelic trance scene, and their list of over 100 releases contain some of the biggest classics ever released. 2 of these classics, well at least in my opinion, The Infinity Projects’s “Stimuli” and Logic Bombs “Datalinks”, are remixed on their new compilation “Red”, also featuring 2 other remixes, and new tracks from some of the biggest full on artists at the moment. The cover-art is in the same style as the classic “Yellow”, “Orange” and “Blue” compilations released back in 1995-1997, which gives it a retro feel. In my opinion it doesn’t look good though, and I had a hard time reading the inlay about the artists. But let’s move on to the music:

01. The Infinity Project – Stimuli (Hallucinogen Remix)
Starting of is no less than a Simon Posford remix of the classic “Stimuli” by The Infinity Project, featured on the classic “Feeling Weird” album from 1995. This track is like a journey back into the 90s, and a great addition to the fans of Simon who still enjoy the Hallucinogen albums. Nice oldschool feel in this one.

02. Nissimyani Vs The Melovskys – Fir Cough (A Raja Ram & Lucas Mix)
After the excellent start comes the less than mediocre track “Fir Cough”, with some extremely annoying voice samples. In the inlay it says it’s a mixture of two tracks: Nissimyanis “Fuck out” and The Melovsky’s “Evolution #9” – and it’s a bad mix. Taste differs, but to be honest I found this to be the worst track on the compilation, and also one of the worst tracks I’ve heard so far this year. These artists can do so much better than this. Enough said – not my cup of tea.

03. Logic Bomb – Datalinks (Remix)
Next up is a new remix of the excellent “Datalinks” from Logic Bombs 2nd album “Unlimited”. It has the teasing, uplifting melodies from the original, and they still work so very well. I’ll take those melodies over all the new neo-morning full on any day. Although a very good and fresh remix, I still didn’t find it as marvellous as the original.

04. The Inner Visions #1
The Inner Visions #1 is a collaboration between Shanti (GMS, Juvenile) and Cyrus The Virus, so you probably know what to expect; full on in the Spun Records style. The track is not that bad - actually one of the better I’ve heard from these artists. It’s fairly good, but still not much different from much of the stuff released nowadays.

05. Astrix - Junosis
Astrix has been copied by newcomers for the last couple of years, but few acts match his full on, While “Junosis” perhaps isn’t the most original track you’ll find by Avi, it’ll still work wonders at any party. Not one of the best he ever made, but still a nice happy tune for the full on dance floors.

06. Sub6 – Program Flies
In my opinion Sub6 is the most interesting act to emerge from Israel the last years, with their new, groovy sound; full on without being to hyped up and childish, constantly evolving, and with intelligent use of voice-samples. “Program Flies”, that has been featured on various “unreleased-killar-top10’s” for a year or so, is another typical Sub6 track, and it’s a wonderful teaser for their upcoming album.

07. Dynamic Vs Z-Machine – Energy
After Sub6’s monster it’s time for another Israeli track – this time from Dynamic and Z-Machine. Fans of Dynamic and Israeli full on might like this, but I found it quite uninspiring – though I can see the dance floor potential. Nothing new here.

08. Xerox & Psy Craft – Adrenalin Rush (Melicia Remix)
Melicia is up next with a remix for the track “Adrenalin Rush” from Xerox’ “Frequency Drive” album released in 2002. Melicia is one of the Israeli full on newcomers, that never really caught my attention, and this remix doesn’t really change that. It’s a bit groovier than most other full on, but to me it just doesn’t sound right. Good effort though.

09. Black & White – Froid
Black & White got somewhat a breakthrough with the track “20 For 7” on the latest HOMMega compilation – a great pumping full on track with melodies galore. Unfortunately I didn’t find “Froid” anywhere near that quality – it simply lacks the power, and I simply don’t find the melodies catchy enough.

10. 1200 Mic’s – Mescaline (Live On Mount Fuji Remix)
I have mixed feelings about GMS and their side projects; they can release some horrible tracks, but I can’t ignore that some of their music work wonders on the dancefloor. While “Mescaline” from the first 1200 Mic’s album is almost too much with those cheesy guitar riffs, and the infamous “let’s all take some mescaline” sample is over the top, I like it anyways. It’s all about having a blast on the dance floor, and if you liked the original this slightly renewed version will probably also be a treat for you.

Bottom line:

I found this to be a pretty messy compilation. The 2 classic remixes are probably the reason why most people will buy this compilation, and they are indeed good tracks, no doubt about that – but not as great as the originals. Sub6’ “Program flies” is my highlight of the compilation, but apart from that it wasn’t really that interesting. A lot of people might have different opinions on the rest of tracks though, so I wouldn’t tell people to avoid this release - just don’t expect something out of the ordinary.

Favourites:

1, 3 , 6(!)

Verdict:

7/10 – recommended for full on lovers

Links:

TIP World http://www.tipworld.co.uk
          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
SenstatuX
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : May 25, 2004 09:36
Logic Bomb – Datalinks (Remix)
damn what a remix.. one of my favourite tunes, with a smashing remix!! really good work from logic guys..

04. The Inner Visions #1
great track by this guys.. i like the feelings in it..

not the best compil this year for sure.. but alot of powers and floor smashers.. good choise for the summer.. alot happy nice trax with great feelings..           i live for this moment here...
Ksu

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 26, 2004 00:43
Logic Bomb remix is killer!
Also like numero 1,5,10
TRIP WITH TIP
MaRcELo_-_PsY*TrAnc`E´
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : May 26, 2004 02:14
07. Dynamic Vs Z-Machine – Energy State!...make my day every day! powerfull fullon!!that's what a like! give me more of THIS MEN!!!Dynamic is one of my favourite artists.
08. Xerox & Psy Craft – Adrenalin Rush (Melicia Remix)! Amazing remix by melicia! Turn the original into a different one!
and finally surprising me 10. 1200 Mic’s – Mescaline (Live On Mount Fuji Remix)!!! make the track so much much better than the original! this men know how to make a killer rmx of a killer track!! Awesome and Smashing Rmx!!!
Great comp tip!=)))
Tralala

Started Topics :  3
Posted : May 26, 2004 12:23
01. A new version, which is a remix done by Hallucinogen! This version is very good, but I think the original was so good that it wasn’t need for any remix of it. Anyway, it is nice to hear a track like this again.

02.Starts off with guitar and voice samples. Then we jump over to a full on bass line and some cheesy synth sounds. In my ears, really bad full on.

03. A slightly different version, i really like this one!

04.This is something for those who are after the full on sound of GMS. This sounds like tons of tracks I have heard before by GMS.

05.Drifting full on bass line and some melodic breaks ,nothing special.

06.They sure have a bit different sound than usual full-on...interesting!

07.Thistrack is one of the better tracks on this compilation.

08.Totally full on, with some simple, ugly guitar that ruins the track for me.

09.This is some of the worst full on I have heard, actually reminds me a bit of the Skazi style .

10. A classic track!

I wonder why TIP.World goes this direction? Maybe this kind of full on sells more records, but in the end it is pretty sad that this label that once were really great, has fallen as deep as this.
Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : May 26, 2004 16:07
A bit off topic here but look at the Tralala's post and compare it with PKS's review here : www.trance.net/article/articleview/478/1/4/

I'm wondering if RaverGirl has a special 'post' for these kind of things.

I've heard the samples on saikosounds and the Hallucinogen's remix sounds just suh-weet.
As for the rest... I bet You all remember Mercury's "Another one bites the dust". That's about everything I can say about the label of TIP World. Of course I'm judging this only on the basis of samples, yet I've never been 'let down' by the truth behind great reviews such as pr0fane's and PKS's, so...           www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : May 26, 2004 17:48

Quote:

On 2004-05-26 16:07, Templar^ wrote:
A bit off topic here but look at the Tralala's post and compare it with PKS's review here : http://www.trance.net/article/articleview/478/1/4/

I'm wondering if RaverGirl has a special 'post' for these kind of things.

Yeah, nicely spotted Templar^ ... Copying PKS' review is definitely not cool... What gives Tralala?

Anyway, as most ppl, I kinda like the re-worked versions of the classics... But they will NEVER beat the classics... This release isn't really essential in my book... Perhaps my feelings will change once I've listened to it some more... If so, I'll write a full review... ;o)

DeathPosture
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Candy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  184
Posted : May 26, 2004 18:07
Not very nice to copy reviews Tralala.
At least give the credit to the person who did review it.           Majority is never right!

"Without music, life is meaningless."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
K.T.E

Started Topics :  1
Posted : May 26, 2004 18:25
Quote:

On 2004-05-26 16:07, Templar^ wrote:
A bit off topic here but look at the Tralala's post and compare it with PKS's review here : http://www.trance.net/article/articleview/478/1/4/

I guess this is called "sampling". Tralala is the GMS of reviewers.

Thanks for the reviews (those who didn't steal them). Doesn't seem very impressive now does it. Looks like this will be another TIP release I won't be getting.
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : May 26, 2004 20:28
^ Ha-ha.

As for this record... BIG SIGH. A word of background... TIP records, the ORIGINAL, is by far my favourite record label... As for RED... what a travesty. Here it is up to each individual to consider this release in whatever light they wish. For me, as a long-time fan of the original TIP records, I can only consider it with regards to the others in the colour series: Yellow, Orange, Blue, Phosphorescent, 3D, Beyond Colour. And in that respect, not only does this compilation fall short, but it also sours a respectable legacy.

Now, one cannot discard this release entirely. There are in fact some good songs on here. I wouldn't yet call any of them great, but there is some good stuff here. Hallucinogen gives a respectable tribute to Stimuli without destroying the original - in fact, this is a nicely done update of a decade-old classic. Contrast this with the utter tripe that is track 2, however. What an awful piece of music! Logic Bomb give a nice remix to their Datalinks, although I can't say I like the extended sample thrown in there. Inner Visions provide more ordinary melodic full-on, and although the track is bland, I have no specific complaints. Astrix and Sub 6 both provide some above-average full-on. Follow this up with more formula-driven full-on crud. Add in some terrible samples. And there you have the rest of this album.

Is this the recipe for another classic? No way. The colour concept is merely a gimmick, though I don't have any idea how they wouldn't have foreseen anyone familiar with the original colour series getting quite irate about the contents here. TIP Yellow is a landmark in the history of Goa - many old school collectors and fanatics, including myself, consider it the well from which the rich tapestry of psychedelic dance music has emerged. Contrast this with TIP World's Red, an album which emulates where others innovate, and one may become a little wistful about days long past. Does this album mark a point in the story where things have gone utterly wrong? It is up to you how to consider that notion. I find myself questioning the state of affairs, but also have the realistic view that innovation has merely migrated to more fertile pastures, rather than being quashed under the juggernaut of commercial return. Nonetheless it is sad that anyone in the TIP crew would disrespect their own history so much with this release!

If you want the -true- TIP sound in this modern day I would highly recommend that you seek out the Blowfish album... I for one find it to be true to the original spirit of innovation and creativity that these TIP World chaps have so insultingly trampled on. It would have been entirely different had they not invoked the classic colour series... then I could have ignored it as I ignore most other TIP World releases too bad for old dreamers like me...
PKS
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  75
Posted : May 27, 2004 17:17
Quote:

On 2004-05-26 12:23, Tralala wrote:
01. A new version, which is a remix done by Hallucinogen! This version is very good, but I think the original was so good that it wasn’t need for any remix of it. Anyway, it is nice to hear a track like this again.

02.Starts off with guitar and voice samples. Then we jump over to a full on bass line and some cheesy synth sounds. In my ears, really bad full on.

03. A slightly different version, i really like this one!

04.This is something for those who are after the full on sound of GMS. This sounds like tons of tracks I have heard before by GMS.

05.Drifting full on bass line and some melodic breaks ,nothing special.

06.They sure have a bit different sound than usual full-on...interesting!

07.Thistrack is one of the better tracks on this compilation.

08.Totally full on, with some simple, ugly guitar that ruins the track for me.

09.This is some of the worst full on I have heard, actually reminds me a bit of the Skazi style .

10. A classic track!

I wonder why TIP.World goes this direction? Maybe this kind of full on sells more records, but in the end it is pretty sad that this label that once were really great, has fallen as deep as this.

Hmmm, WEEEIIRD!! Who is this Tralala guy? I have never seen anything like that. Please don´t do that again.          CHILL TRIBE
CTRCD01 QUALITY RELAXATION
CTRCD02 RELAXED JOURNEYS
CTRCD03 EAR PLEASURE
CTRCD04 WOMBATMUSIC - Shameful Silence
CTRCD05 POLYPLOID - Grow Your Own
CTRCD06 IAN ION - Gringo Locomotion
CTRCD07 SUNKINGS - Before We Die
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : May 29, 2004 14:58
Hmmm, WEEEIIRD!!

Tip World released yet another same ol fool on compilation.

I sure like the hallucinogen remix and the sub6 tune aint bad either but ffs stop releasing copy&paste trance! Or well, do what ever yu like but from now on i'd be nice to keep the pearls on the other side and the crap on the other so i wouldn't have to buy releases cos of one or two tunes.. damn

so 1 & 6 rule.. the rest isn't that good.. althought the beginning of #2 is quite kewl..

and ummm #1 isn't the best tune from the wizard.. but it's by far the best tune on the album..

"The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Alex Boshke
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  59
Posted : May 29, 2004 17:07
TIP remix and Logic Bomb - very nice,Sub 6 -OK all the rest is typical....i expected some better compilation actually with more psychedelic and less extazzzic content...
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Jul 4, 2004 15:55
After hearing "The Inner Visions #1" on a huge soundsystem at Full Moon, I must say I've changed my opinion about it. A really excellent full on track here, and now one of my personal highlights.           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Dragongurl
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Jul 5, 2004 11:15
I am a little suprised there werent more comments about this album. This has to be one of the bests for me at the moment! I agree that The Inner Visions - #1 is totally awesome!! My other favs include the Logic Bomb track and Sub 6 - "Lets see if my blaster can reprogram you" hehehehe           :: Life can be as bitter as dragon tears
But whether dragon tears are bitter or sweet
depends entirely on how each man perceives the taste ::
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A. - Red (TIP World, 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance