Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Quality Relaxation (Chill Tribe Records 2005) CD
← Prev Page
1 2
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Quality Relaxation (Chill Tribe Records 2005) CD

The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Jul 23, 2005 21:24
Well a solid release, with two or three tracks that stand-out. Elysium's track is wonderful, a special track that contains excellent percussion-work and a wonderful ethnic sample. Very Tribal'ish... Jaia is really impressing me lately, with this chilled tune and his album, fiction. CBL's sound is smooth as always, great stuff and a good remix. 7.5/10...

"Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
darkgnome

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Aug 26, 2005 15:00
Quite nice compilation here, although I would have placed the Ishq track in the beginning or the end.
Liking the CBL rmx of Shulman very much
shahar
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  155
Posted : Aug 28, 2005 10:28
Very nice compilation from PKS, especially for a debut. It flows really nicely and keeps it interesting till the last 3 tracks that loose it totally for me.

Few words about the tracks: I'm not a big fan of Entheogenic's music, never got the hype about it, it's always pleasent music, but never more than that, and never sound original to me. Here they open things with what is probably the best tracks I've heard from them. Elysium's Fairytale is excellent- and found it's way to my sets at once- reminds me of the old Elysium music in feel, one of the best here- one could only wish he'd create more like these instead if creating havoc in forums. CBL remix of Shulman is a very nice atmospheric track, though as a remix it lacks something- still a good one. Ishq never fails me. En Soph, btw, means infinity in Hebrew. Jaia with an excellent typical Jaia atmospheric chill piece. Cell, with one of my favorites here- very nice surprise that'll get people dancing in the chill. PhasePhour alse deliver a good one. Go Norway go! Then, as I said things get lost- Dub Connection should have probably stayed stashed like it was for the last 5 years or so. Altitude 1 is pointless- sounds like it was written for lyrics that are not here. BPC track is just not moving me at all, and the production doesn't sound too well.

All and all a very good compilation, one of the better ones I heard this year so far. Hope this is a beginning of something good.
          ---------------------------------------------
"Be the change you want to see in the world!"
M.K. Gandhi

"There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."
Aldous Huxley

PKS
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  75
Posted : Sep 20, 2005 10:43
Hello everybody!
Just wanted to say thank you VERY MUCH for all the great reviews and feedback!!! Much appreciated!

PKS           CHILL TRIBE
CTRCD01 QUALITY RELAXATION
CTRCD02 RELAXED JOURNEYS
CTRCD03 EAR PLEASURE
CTRCD04 WOMBATMUSIC - Shameful Silence
CTRCD05 POLYPLOID - Grow Your Own
CTRCD06 IAN ION - Gringo Locomotion
CTRCD07 SUNKINGS - Before We Die
Kris_R

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 21, 2005 19:28
I liked this CD. Very nice Artistnames and really nice outstanding music. Respect to everybody !

Kris
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Oct 3, 2005 19:04
Be aware... Review by Psytones soon to be released!
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Oct 4, 2005 14:49
Review by Psytones

From the deep forests and mountains of Norway, we are presented with a new quality compilation from a brand new Norwegian label, named “Chill Tribe Records”.
“Chill Tribe Records” is a label based in Oslo, Norway. It’s the proud creation of the known reviewer (www.trance.net), music-collector and chill DJ, PKS (Per Kristian Slagsvold).

V/A – “Quality Relaxation” (Chill Tribe records) 2005 (CTRCD01)

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=466554

01. (06’54) Entheogenic – Walk On Air
02. (07’38) Elysium - Fairytale
03. (07’02) Shulman – The Unexpected Visitor (CBL Carbonator Remix)
04. (09’56) ISHq – En Soph
05. (08’11) Jaïa - Missing
06. (09’15) Cell – Secret Wedding
07. (06’53) PhasePhour – Unpronounced Numbers
08. (09’30) Elysium vs. Space Cat – Dub Connection
09. (06’40) Altitudes – Altitude 1
10. (06’49) Blue Planet Corporation – Wild City

This virgin release of PKS, has since the track listing was announced been highly anticipated. And no wonder. PKS has really used all of his best connections to put up a very respected compilation filled with great names as Cell, Shulman, ISHq and Elysium. Let the relaxation begin…

1. As we find our self in peace, walking to a bright light of fresh air, we will hear whispers of secret angels. They know something that we don’t know, what do they know? Entheogenic introduces this chill album with his masterpiece of a fresh dub track. This is really a beautiful floating downbeat track with electronic dub influences. The track continues with soothing African voices and a knife sharp synth. Back to the whispers and we walk away, knowing something that we don’t know that we know. It’s from a different world.
Score: 8.6

2. In a fast mood change, we enter the new world of Elysium’s tribal vision. Hypnotizing drums lead us into the track while voices talk. Elysium is a living legend of our Goa scene, and it’s very interesting to see which musical turn mister Thinning is taking. I like his new chilled tribal style, it’s incredible soothing and peaceful. This is a track that hungers for good speakers with massive base, because the baseline fx’s are pretty nice and trippy. Oh, and this track has the sweetest synth I’ve heard in a long time. Brilliant track by Elysium! It’s almost as I can see Elysium’s soul throe this track. It seems like a very personal track. One of this albums finest releases. Looking forward for more quality releases from this person.
Score: 9.1

3. Shulman, one of our time best psychedelic chill-out producers, presents to us his track “The Unexpected Visitor” from the praised album “in Search Of A Meaningful Moment”. Combined with “Carbon Based Lifeforms” skills. This release should get people on their tip-toes. CBL is a small but huge star within the ambient scene. CBL gives us a very floating ambient mix with a nice beat and base line. Kind of dub influenced, but not completely. … *Putting on the original Shulman track* … I personally like the original track better, but of course, both tracks are beautiful psychedelic masterpieces. Great track!
Score: 8.8

4. ISHq. One can not help but to feel deep respect for this legendary psy-ambient producer. ISHq produces some of the best modern ambient tunes, and this track is no exception! This time PKS serves us a brilliant and innocent track by ISHq. It’s magical and pure as a new born child. Brilliant! ISHq is planning to release around 12 albums. If this is true or not, I don’t know, but people cant wait to get a hold of them. I can understand why. Great dreamy beat less ambient track indeed.
Score: 8.8

5. Next we have a track from Jaïa, Jaïa starts off this track with ambient floating feelings until it turns over to a more progressive downbeat ambient track with some beats here and there. It’s a space ambient track until the trance strings kick in. Deep baselines makes the room pulsate while colours change. Angels hymns a protective tune. A track full of wisdom and motherly vibes. One can also feel sadness of missing someone special Who, what or where is up to the listener. Emotional track indeed. To be honest, this release sounds very much like a chill/ambient mix of a late 90th (Euro)-Trance track. Not a minus at all. Excellent emotional track!
Score: 9.1

6. Cell provides us with a wonderful uprising track. Cell is French, and Cell is one of the most respected spiritual chill producer.. In the beginning of 2005, cell released his spiritual album Phonic Peace. If you liked his album, your going to love this track. Pure bliss, and one can feel magic happening while listening to this track. No words, just listen!
Score: 9.2

7. Time to wake up a little bit more now. I’m listening to a Norwegian compilation, the Record Label is Norwegian, the compiler (PKS) him self is Norwegian and me, the reviewer is Norwegian. What’s missing? Yes, a Norwegian track. And what a track! PhasePhour gives us a nice synth play, sugar cute but firm and trippy melodies. This is to me a very similar track to their album “...Boiing & Zipp” which is worth a listen. Just in slow motion, and boy does it work! Amazing jazz drum ending to a magnificent downbeat track by PhasePhour.
PhasePhour’s music is best viewed in phase phour, just so you know, he he.
Score: 8.6

8. Yet another track by Elysium, but this time in a collaboration with Space Cat. The track “Dub Connection” is the brother of their release on the compilation “Life Is…”, “Liquid Dub Connection”. These two tracks are both beautifully made, but it’s not completely my cup of tea. I really do enjoy “Liquid dub Connection”, but this release seems a tad boring in my ears. Nothing wrong with it, just doesn’t appeal that much to me. Elysium delivers us on this compilation a very strong track, maybe one of the best on this album. But in a collaboration with Space Cat, he delivers also one of the weakest releases. Not bad, but not excellent.
The track on “Life Is…” suits me better.
Score: 8.3

9. Wide, awake! … Each time I listen to this compilation, this track just wakes me up! If I’m in my bed at night, sleeping while listening to this compilation, this track. Yes, wakes me up! The first 5 times I heard this track, I got goose bumps of the intro voice, telling me to be wide awake. Altitudes, a co-operation between the legends Jaïa and Blue Planet Corporation (Impressive co-op btw.) gives us this compilations most trippy track. It blends in many elements from different genres. And it works out well! It’s playfully serious and psychedelic in the more playful trippy term. Beautiful track, impressive and magical. Best trippy track on this release!
Score: 9.7

10. Last but not least, we have “Blue Planet Corporation” and his track “Wild City” .
This track really impresses me in it’s professionalism, production and experimentalism. It’s more leftfieldish then the rest with great downbeat drums and mood. A bit café feelings, but that’s ok. Because this track is good, and it’s a nice way to Finish off a superb compilation.
Score: 9

I have had this release for one month before I wrote this review, just to be really sure about my feelings towards it. And I must say that it was a vice decision. At first listen I couldn’t really see anything special about this release except good line up and a lot of unreleased tracks. But after experiencing this album in multiple levels. I feel now that this is a release that I can give all of my recommendations on. All of the tracks are beautiful and relaxing, there is no bad tracks on it at all. One might feel that the order of the tracks are wrong, but once you listen to it well, and try to feel the emotion changes happening each time PKS takes a turn. It makes sense. I’m really glad it isn’t the “normal” start slow, finish strong sets. This is more of an adventure as it is quality relaxation. The compilation it self is also perfect for DJ’s and people who likes to have a album filled with remarkable chill tracks. I would like to check out one of PKS’s chill sets with mixing and such. Because I know his taste will and choices will secure me a pleasant trip. Also a very nice detail about this release is the booklet with a picture of a ice glacier. PKS has done the booklet in a very personal and nice way. Adding his own comments to each track, and the cover art is simple but beautiful, it reflex this release in a good way. This is not just a great compilation, it’s a quality compilation.
I’m not a nationalistic person, but right now, I’m very proud to be Norwegian!
Recommended!

Total Score: 8.92 / 10

Where to buy and other links:
Chill Tribe Records: http://www.chilltriberecords.com
Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ctr/ctr1cd001.html
Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4866
PsySale: http://www.psysale.com
Chaos: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk
Trance-Shop: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4694
trance.net: http://www.trance.net

- Psytones (psytones@gmail.com)
PKS
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Oct 12, 2005 18:54
Thanks for a great review Psytones!!

Here is another interesting review written by Morpheusmusic:

http://www.morpheusmusic.co.uk/html/reviews20.htm#quality           CHILL TRIBE
CTRCD02 RELAXED JOURNEYS
CTRCD03 EAR PLEASURE
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Oct 13, 2005 08:36
Quote:

On 2005-10-12 18:54, PKS wrote:
Thanks for a great review Psytones!!

Here is another interesting review written by Morpheusmusic:

http://www.morpheusmusic.co.uk/html/reviews20.htm#quality

Quote: - this is a professionally turned out collection from a man who clearly knows his music.

Le Lotus Bleu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : Jan 10, 2006 00:52
Entheogenic-Walk On Air > I didn't recognize Entheogenic immediately because of the harmonies which are slightly different (less psychedelic & more sunny) but above all it's due to the rythmic consisting in a sort of slow drum n' bass. The voices samples (deep woman voice incantating/singing), them, are typical Enthéogenic trademarks. They've s managed here, to make their sound evolving without loosing their own characteristic & they should keep going on producing this deeper way for their next tunes in the future.

Elysium-Fayritale > I don't like the man voice here, it's not matching with the concept of 'Fayritale' as he seems to suffer on half of the song,it's painful.Furthermore, the cold & sleepy aspects of this track don't fit with my chill tastes.

Shulman-The Unexpected Visitor (Carbon Based Lifeforms-Carbonator Remix)> It propluses you through vast, flat, snow recovered & deserted landscapes illuminated by the low & almost horizontal scandinavian lights. This is hardly if you could be disturbed by a kind snow fall from 3'12 with flakes tickling your visage.

Ishq-En Soph> It's time for more complex production & typical climatic ambient. It's in the old ambient tradition (from an electronic view & not strictly psy one), i mean long tunes, nature's samples (birds singing), it's totally beatless conferring an intemporal side to the tune. It's sad we don't see more tracks like this released by the pretended psy-ambient&chill labels.

Jaïa-Missing> This band has been famous, by the past, for their exotic goa sounds but also for few chill tunes such as 'L'Ivresse Des Profondeurs' for example. Missing plays mainly on the amplitude's variation of certain sounds whereas , on the end, it turns more into classical music with violin's chords.

Cell-Secret Wedding>Same thing as for Elysium, this track doesn't enter in my chill tastes but the reasons are different: globally too heavy in its harmonies & the rythmic is too much at the first plan not enough in background (especially the kick).

PhasePhour-Unpronounced Numbers>I find the melody awful here.

Elysium vs Space Cat-Dub Connection>Another palette of chill area is explored now with this warm pleasant dub song revealing more acoustic tones (bass, rythmic & percussions).

Altitudes-Altitude 1> As i already told, i don't like when there's pumping beats in chill stuff & it's the case here. Except this, the structure is more weird & diversified compared to all other tracks which contributes to
enhance the content's quality.

Blue Planet Corporation-Wild City> There's some similarities with previous track but here in a more accomplished way & with a reasonnable rythmic . You've got some slighty sour 303 loops in the background plus an undeniable irresistible funky-jazzy groove.

As the compilation aims to explore a bit of each chill directions, it explains why, according to me, there's a big chance you'll enjoy some tracks & others won't fit your taste at all.
Everestic chill:1,3,4,8,10
7/10
Pasha
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Jan 13, 2006 09:46
I have to add my 5 cents to this.

This compilation somehow caught me by surprise. Well actually its name would be the best review for it...
When you see the tracklist you get an impression that you kinda know what to expect from it, but no, it is higher than your expextations.
Absolutely amazing and beautiful track from Jaia, Cell's track is just so subtle and sublime, I really dig and serach for such music lately, the BPC track is also very very groovy, not to mention that it's a pleasure see him release something. The other tracks on the cd - you get a mix of wonderfully crafted ambient and chilled beats, which alltogether are a very pleasant listening experience and sonic excursion.
Buy it!

Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Nov 10, 2006 12:08
New album released: http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/96698/forum/9 check it out!
DETOX
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  296
Posted : Jul 17, 2008 04:17
This is a great album,the first six tracks are absolutely amazing with Ishq,Entheogenic and Jaia stealing the show.The Ishq tune reminds me a lot of Brian Eno stuff which is exactly my kind of ambient music.I've been listening all six of them in a row for something like three hours already,amazing journey.

Altitudes tune and the Norwegian track are also ok,Space Cat Collaboration with Elysium and the BPC tracks i didnt like although they are not bad,just out of my taste i guess.

Good music is timeless i love to say all the time.And some tracks included here are very very good music.

Better late than never for a short review i guess,especially when the cd worths it.

9/10 from me for this great compilation.           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
PKS
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Aug 22, 2008 11:41
Thanks Detox!
Glad you like it... Maybe you will like the other compilations on Chill Tribe too.           CHILL TRIBE
CTRCD02 RELAXED JOURNEYS
CTRCD03 EAR PLEASURE
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Quality Relaxation (Chill Tribe Records 2005) CD
← Prev Page
1 2
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance