Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Peaking In Tongues (Peak Records 2004) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Peaking In Tongues (Peak Records 2004) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Nov 21, 2004 21:41
V/A – Peaking In Tongues

Cover: http://www.peaking-goddess.com/cover-tongue-web.gif

Artist: Various
Title: Peaking In Tongues
Format: CD
Label: Peak Records (Switzerland)
Cat. #: PEAKCD004
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 6 December 2004

Track listing:

01. 02’18” The Peaking Goddess Collective - Alliteration (intro)
02. 08’06” Yab-Yum - Biochemical Possibilities (145bpm)
03. 08’32” Digital Talk + Seb - Re-Union (145bpm)
04. 07’46” N3xu5 - Ladykiller (148bpm)
05. 06’26” Drumatik - Show Time (146bpm)
06. 07’57” Phyx - Black Magic (145bpm)
07. 08’25” Electrypnose - Rip (147bpm)
08. 06’55” Mechanix - Interesant (146bpm)
09. 08’09” N3xu5 - Master Of Disguise (rmx) (147bpm)
10. 03’57” Master Margherita & Pearce feat. Dymons - Flowmotion (outro)

Review:

Neo psybersonic tonics dug fresh from the tryptamines of the sublime!

Third release from Swiss label Peak Records – a collective of mad hatters from Lusanne lead by DJ Gaspard… He also compiled and mixed this… With some very interesting names on the tracklist and mastering by Chromatone from San Fransisco, the basis for some dark, twisted psytrance should be laid down…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: The Peaking Goddess Collective - Alliteration (Intro)
As custom on all Peak compilations, the collective of artists do the intro and outro… This is a very nice idea – to get you in the mood for a pleasant listening experience… This little ambient piece bear very little resemblance to what’s about to come, but that’s besides the point…This reminds me of old TIP ambient with Current93-like vocals… Very cool retro-spiritual intro indeed!

#02: Yab-Yum - Biochemical Possibilities
“Do you know what scares me the most? It’s when it happens. When it comes over me. When I totally loose control. I like it!” Yab-Yum is Gaspard & Ajja S.F.Leu = Peaking Goddess co-managers… And they sure know how to manage the art of composing a nice track… This is fast-paced deeply twisted night-time trance… Ajja used to play rock guitar, and he sure haven’t forgotten about his old skills… We get some of his guitar-action here alongside little twirling acid lines and twisted, yet harmonic psy-trance madness… Cool voice samples and cleverly used stereo-FX… Overall a kick-ass track!

#03: Digital Talk + Seb - Re-Union
Julien from DT (of former Droidsect fame) re-unites with Seb on this track that starts out with some tribal drums… Soon however, sharp metallic sounds are introduced… Digital farts and electronic hiccups… As on the Digital Talk album New Age Surf released earlier this year on Acidance, this is Halloween trance… I like the way a dark murky and quite spooky atmosphere is created… Reminds me of older Xenomorph – and that stuff have always scared the living shit out of me… Nice!

#04: N3xu5 – Ladykiller
Ahh – another N3xu5 track… Mr. Lopez from Portugal has yet to let me down… Everything I’ve heard from him was excellent… This track starts out with the initial parts of the famous O-Ren Ishii speak from Kill Bill vol. 1: “As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion.” And then a rapid bassline in unleashed… Followed by digital drops and sweet, sweet acid-lines that will severely damage your ear-drums if you’re not careful… And then more O-Ren: “The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your fucking head. Just like this fucker here. Now, if any of you sons of bitches got anything else to say, now's the fucking time!!” And then all hell brakes loose and goose bumps will appear. ’Nuff said – N3xu5 have done it again! Brilliant!

#05: Drumatik - Show Time
“You’re listening to Radio Cosmos!” Drumatik is a young guy from the French-speaking part of Switzerland, and he had two tracks on the Peak-A-Boo compilation also released on Peak Records. I’ve never heard any of his stuff though… The intro to this track is super-nice… Very organic and moody… Then a few R2D2 samples and a pretty standard bassline… And all of a sudden Radio Cosmos take over the airwaves – and Boney M’s Brown Girl In The Ring is playing surrounded by horror-samples and Tiesto-like soundscapes… And after that more movie-quotes and acid-lines… Oh my – I’m totally blown away by this bombardment on my senses…Beware – do not listen to this while on shrooms… It’ll mess with you and it might get ugly! Very, very impressive track by Drumatik here – the only flaw I can find is the bassline that’s just too standard at times – but that doesn’t ruin this track… Far from it! An artist to look out for!

#06: Phyx - Black Magic
South African Phyx (Ian Summs) has been very productive on various compilations this year with his trademark ripping acid sounds, and basically I’ve been impressed by his work so far. Phyx has a weakness for incorporating annoying, high-pitched sounds into his tracks – and as usual you’ll either love it or hate it… This one is pretty cool and not as bizarre as some of his previous work… As legend has it, this track builds and builds, has a fast-paced hard-core bassline and is riddled with ripping acid-lines… It sure gets my ass wiggling…

#07: Electrypnose – Rip
Electrypnose is Swiss artist-slash-mountain man Vin’s Le Barde and he’s been with the collective for some time and had a track on the first compilation Peaking Goddess… It’s my first encounter with his work though… This is aptly named track is indeed ripping… If this is made to tell a story about the Swiss Alps, I now see them as icy, bitterly cold, eerie and dark… Just like this track! Nice, atmospheric, dark track… The competition is fierce on this compilation – and this track is “just” good! ;o)

#08: Mechanix – Interesant
Mechanix is Eldad Ben-Ezry from Israel and he released an album on Doof Records in 2003. The only track I’ve heard by him though was the collaboration he had with Time Lock on ZMA’s Monarchie IV… That was dark night trance, and sure enough – this is dark night trance! A pounding rubber bass, distorted industrial sounds and some wicked synth action… Combine that with twisted saiko-FX, a pinch of acid, some tribal percussion, scatter some undecipherable voice samples and some reverb action and you’ve got yourself a dance floor bombshell! Funky as hell!

#09: N3xu5 - Master of Disguise (Rmx)
“Did you just tell me to shut up?” Second track by N3xu5 and he doesn’t waste any time on a boring intro – we launch straight into his acid-ridden world… Again we’re introduced to some mind-altering sounds here… Balancing on the edge of being annoying, but luckily it doesn’t cross the border… This is dark, twisted night trance with ultra-gritty ingredients and funny cartoon voice samples… That climax @ 4’00 – yummy! Thank you Mr. Lopez – it’s like you can read my mind creating tracks like this… Splendid track!

#10: Master Margherita & Pearce feat. Dymons - Flowmotion (Outro)
Master Margherita (bass) & Pearce (flute) are both members of the Peaking Goddess collective and here they are joined by some dude or dudette called Dymons… After those full-on dance floor napalm tracks it’s time for some chilling – and time to check out how many brain cells you lost playing those tracks at full volume… And what wonderful chilling… Focus is on bass & flute – beautifully executed by MM and P… This is just lovely… Floating, dreamlike, soothing ambient… Nicey nice!

I might as well brake down in tears and admit that before listening to this compilation, my knowledge of Swiss based label Peak Records was extremely limited… But that’s about to change, ‘cause this is one hell of a compilation… Seriously there’s not a single bad track here… All tracks are above average and that’s rare with compilations nowadays… Damn, I’m impressed!

If you like the latest releases by Parvati Records, Ketuh Records and Digital Psionics you’ll most definitely like this… Luckily we’ve been treated to many great releases featuring this style this year – and this is another very good one… Hell, it’s been a while since I’ve been so impressed by a compilation in this genre – recommended to all fans of the above mentioned styles: Hard-core, deeply twisted, darkish, vicious, mind altering night trance… Start saving up – this will be released December 6th 2004 - Attaboy!

Favourites: 2(!!), 3, 4(!!), 5(!), 6, 8, 9(!!)

DeathPosture

External links:
Peak Records: http://www.peaking-goddess.com
Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/pea/pea1cd004.html (Audio samples available!)
Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4437
Chaos Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=PEAKCD04
Trance Shop: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4305
Beat Space: http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=1673           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Nov 21, 2004 22:46
Heya Martin, looks like a prime time night shaker here.
Digital Talk and N3xu5 are yet to disappoint me with anything. I don't really know the other artists, cept for Mechanix, but i'll take your word for it.           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Nov 21, 2004 23:04
compiled and mixed? As in beatmatched?
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 21, 2004 23:19
Quote:

On 2004-11-21 23:04, The Journey Man Project wrote:
compiled and mixed? As in beatmatched?

Well tracks #1 + #10 stand alone... The rest are mixed... But not beatmatched... They've just removed the silence between tracks and conviniently made it into more of a continues mix... It's mixed - not beatmatched... Don't know the technical word for it - hope you get my point?

DP           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
ZeRo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Nov 21, 2004 23:23
sounds similar to what son kite did on their latest release - colours. in which the tracks can be played at home and have a continuous feel to them, one piece of music, but . . .djs are still able to pull out the tracks to spin. inotherwords mixed. but not beatmatched, exactly right. one could call it ambiently mixed.           ein chadash tachat hashemesh. there is nothing new under the sun. --kohelet.
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Nov 21, 2004 23:25
Digital Talk + Seb? Seb, as in Seb Taylor of Shakta/Digitalis/Kaya Project fame?           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 21, 2004 23:32
ZeRo => Exactly! ;o)

pr0fane => Nope, it's some dude called Seb P.... No idea who he is... But I'm sure Gaspard will shed some light on that when he sees this thread...

DP
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
P_Mac
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Nov 22, 2004 10:56
Still waiting for my promo, and have the drool bucket standing by!
I want it, i want it
From the review i have read i makes me want it more . . . .
nice work boys and girls . . .

www.boomfestival.org
www.ketuhrecords.com

DONT SEND MP3 SAMPLES PLS!!!!!
le barde
Electrypnose

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Nov 22, 2004 13:20
Quote:
#07: Electrypnose – Rip
This is aptly named track is indeed ripping… If this is made to tell a story about the Swiss Alps, I now see them as icy, bitterly cold, eerie and dark… Just like this track! Nice, atmospheric, dark track

RIP means "rest in peace", this is an homage to a friend who dies in an accident. I think it's normal that feels icy.
nothing about swiss alps story

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 22, 2004 13:41
Quote:

RIP means "rest in peace", this is an homage to a friend who dies in an accident. I think it's normal that feels icy.
nothing about swiss alps story

All those words were meant as superlatives... ;o) Sorry to hear about your friend - very cool that you've dedicated a track to him/her - great way to keep the memory alive... ;o)

DP           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
lokus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Nov 22, 2004 14:51
aha!
looks interesting!
an other dark-psy smasher from the peaks
cant wait to hear phyx´s - black magic           - last possible solution
- trick music
- ambivalent records
myspace.com/lokuz

ps: y trance?
gaspard
Yab Yum

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Nov 23, 2004 08:38
thanks DP for the wicked review!

profane: no this is definitely not seb taylor. from my understanding its the third dude from droidsect - the other two being Digital Talk (Julien & Luc)

The Journey Man Project: basically there are no gaps which makes it something that can be listened to at home like a dj mix - it has a story to it.

to everyone else Thanks for comments, we hope that you ll enjoy this compilation!!!

boooom           Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett
MARGHERITA
Master Margherita

Started Topics :  156
Posted : Dec 5, 2004 18:30
dear friends, peaking in tongues is out now.

yeah!
peace.
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Dec 6, 2004 03:03
Quote:

On 2004-11-23 08:38, gaspard wrote:
thanks DP for the wicked review!

profane: no this is definitely not seb taylor. from my understanding its the third dude from droidsect - the other two being Digital Talk (Julien & Luc)

The Journey Man Project: basically there are no gaps which makes it something that can be listened to at home like a dj mix - it has a story to it.

to everyone else Thanks for comments, we hope that you ll enjoy this compilation!!!

boooom

I have just ordered thid with your other two compilations... will put them on when I'm on the plane overseas and for sure wil spin some tunes in Malaysia when I dj on NYE
DJ MAGICO

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 7, 2004 22:50
nice one.

good luck!

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Peaking In Tongues (Peak Records 2004) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance