Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A – Lime Light (Tribal Vision Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A – Lime Light (Tribal Vision Records 2005) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : May 13, 2005 23:08
V/A – Lime Light

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/co96l

Artist: Various
Title: Lime Light
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Tribal Vision Records (Czech Republic)
Cat. #: TVRCD002
Distribution: Psyshop.net
Date: April 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’16” Jaïa vs. French Kisz – Drifting Planet
02. 08’11” Rai - Liquid
03. 08’43” Vision & Canedy – Collected Vibes
04. 08’55” Minilogue - Leloo
05. 09’22” Flowjob – Cloud Politics
06. 10’46” Holm & Andersen - Cityrain
07. 08’23” Ticon - Reflections
08. 08’51” Leo – Music Design Revolutions
09. 07’42” Shuma – Illektro Music

Review:

Music to watch girls by…

Tribal Vision Records from the Czech Republic released their first progressive trance compilation Urban Legends in December 2004 – it was an instant smash, so label bosses DJ Slater & DJ Schwa decided to grace our ears with another compilation now… And damn – that was one wise decision… I mean – just take a look on the tracklist here… Proggy bonanza… I’m already impressed! Let’s take a trip to funky town…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Jaïa vs. French Kisz – Drifting Planet [126 BPM]
First up is a French collaboration between Yannis Kamarinos (Jaïa) and Stéphane Deschezeaux & Fathallah Lekal (French Kisz)… Jaïa should need no further introduction except the notion of me really looking forward to the album on Digital Structures soon… But French Kisz is not a project I’ve heard about before… Good thing there’s an extensive booklet which describes them as a well-established progressive house act… A slow, electro-intro is soon drenched in tribal percussion and trippy synth-experiments… All done in a very chilled, laid-back manner… This is the slowest track here - perfect for chilling on the beach and enjoying life… The groovy is amazing here… The rich percussion, the phat melodic pads and the subtle singing all help in creating one groovy synthesis… Brilliant track!

#02: Rai – Liquid [130 BPM]
Rai is Roman Horinek from the Czech Republic… He has released tracks on a number of labels and his track Groove was on the first Tribal Vision compilation… This track lives up to its name – Roman plays around with filters and FX to create a liquid sound here… Somewhere in between commercial trance and progressive house… It’s all very well-polished and neat – and in that sense I could’ve wished for more edge… It’s a little too Balearic for my taste! That being said, this is a nice track with flawless production – and immediate crossover potential! I like the little breakdown and the groove that follows it… I would have abandoned the cheesy vocals though, but that’s just me…

#03: Vision & Canedy – Collected Vibes [130 BPM]
Reinforcement from Hadshot Haheizar! This track is made by German producer Marco ‘Canedy’ Mellmann… I have no idea where Marc ‘Vision’ Wollenschein went, but he’s not listed in the credits!?… But hey, Canedy does a good job on his own… This track is drenched in the typical V&C groove that I have come to like so much… An ultra-smooth kick alongside a tight percussion section… Rhythm n trance! Tribal percussion is always a hit and the cut-up voice samples just adds to the groove here… The break just leaves you moaning on the dancefloor – screaming for more... Nuff said - this is a massive track!

#04: Minilogue – Leloo [131 BPM]
Leeloo Dallas Multipas!? This track was released on a Baroque Records 12” in 2004, but I’m a CD-only trancer so this is my first encounter with it…Minilogue is an alias for Swedish progressive godfathers Marcus Henriksson & Sebastian Mullaert… Son Kite! Qlap! Kooler! Ooze! Trimatic! … Need I say more? I think not! I’m like the biggest fan of the sweet sounds coming out of the High-Hat Studios – and this is the first new stuff I’ve heard in a while… And yes, it’s good! This is even more experimental than Son Kite – drawing on an even wider spectre of electronic music… This is driving, danceable, highly enjoyable progressive trance – with a big fat groove… The voice-sample is among the best I’ve heard in a progressive trance track for a long time – it fits the music perfectly and I can vividly imagine myself tripping to this tune on the dancefloor… That climax part is unsurpassed! Reminiscent of the climax in On Air – but still nowhere near it! Sweeeeeeeeet!

#05: Flowjob – Cloud Politics [130 BPM]
Iboga Records reinforcement! Flowjob from Denmark has the members Joakim Hjørne & Mads Tinggaard and they’ve had tracks released on Midijum, Iboga, YSE and now Tribal Vision… Their debut album is coming out in 2006 on Iboga – and goddam I can’t wait… This is a very, very crispy track… We get some psychedelic influences here – with a strong melodic trance interface – mixed up with a funky, progressive rhythm section… A winning combination! This will work wonders both at the beach and on the trancefloor… And it’s perfect for spacing out in your easy chair! Instant summer hit! Brilliant!

#06: Holm & Andersen – Cityrain [132 BPM]
“I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it and stick your head out and…” Kim Holm used to spin in my hometown Aalborg – and was behind many of the big parties Audiobahn threw in Denmark… Kristian Thinning Andersen is a living legend and has been on the scene longer than anyone can remember. He is widely known and respected for his past as Elysium + Elysium Project… Releasing timeless classics within goa, psytrance, ambient and progressive trance… And he’s still very active today as this track accentuates… The base of this track is progressive trance with rich elements of tribal house, electro and trippy trance… A crossover track that combines the best of different styles in a tasty cocktail… This hybrid track is very long and has extensive stretched-out melodic pads, an extensive rhythm section and numerous changes in pace and direction – without ever loosing the ultimate focus… Kinda reminds me of 12 Moons or Tegma in some aspects… Though maybe a couple of minutes too long, this is a very nice, original track…

#07: Ticon – Reflections [135 BPM]
Ahh – more Swedish delights… This time from legendary Ticon (Fredrik Gilenholt & Filip Mårdberg)… I only just recently purchased the album Aero released in 2003 on Digital Structures - I’ve been playing that a lot lately, so I’m all warmed up for this track… This is another progressive trance track with rich influences from house and electro… It’s the fastest track here, but somehow it doesn’t seem fast – it just seems luscious… Sexy even! Melodic pads and delicate percussion assist in creating another beach-house choon… I’m afraid to say it, but parts of this track are just a little too well-polished and clubby for my taste… Just a little though, and the last three minutes are pure bliss – massive soundscapes of lush prog… Yummy!

#08: Leo – Music Design Revolutions [133 BPM]
Leo Leite is a Brazilian producer who now lives in New York where he’s also a member of the electronic outfit Influx… Supposedly he’s quite a well-known DJ and producer, but this is my first encounter with his work… But not the last I hope, as this is pretty sweet… This is progressive house with a darker edge than some of the previous tracks – tribal percussion and deep, spacey, metallic soundscapes… This will work wonders during the darkest hours of a progressive set… This is anti-fluff – and I like anti-fluff… However, there seems to be parts of this track that lacks the ultimate kick to push it into the close-to-perfection category… But yeah, I like this!

#09: Shuma – Illektro Music [132 BPM]
Shuma are Davor Tosovic & Emir Cehaic from Croatia… They had a track on a 2003 Hadshot Haheizar EP, but this is my first encounter with their distinct illektro sound… Illektro is obviously a clever little play on words as this is utterly and totally drenched in electro-vibes… It’s not the first time progressive trance has been mixed with electro, but this track takes it to the extremes… Fast-paced synth-galore with repetitive voice-samples and electronic stabs and hisses… Very experimental – well to my ears at least… I can’t really decide if I like this or it annoys me… Well, it’s definitely something unusual and I like that aspect of it… ;o)

Wow – take a look below at my favourite tracks… That’s a lot of stand-outs, indicating the very high quality level on this compilation… I am really, really impressed and there are no bad tracks here… In fact most tracks are brilliant, but some just pale in comparison with the really great ones… Hope you catch my drift here!? What I’m trying to say is that there are more than enough brilliant progressive trance tracks here to validate a purchase… Another big fat plus in my cool-book is the extensive 16-page full colour booklet that comes with this CD… One page is dedicated to each artist and the easy-rip DJ-slip is a nifty little feature! A nice booklet like this will never go out of fashion… Check it out!

I’m sure several of these tracks will become big summer-festival hits… They deserve it! Fans of crossover progressive trance need this compilation in their collection… The flow here is brilliant and I like the mix of new and old artists on one compilation… Well done Tribal Vision Records… I will not hesitate to give this CD my highest recommendations… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 3(!!), 4(!!), 5(!!), 6, 7

DeathPosture

External links:
Tribal Vision: http://www.tribalvision.cz
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/bdgt3
Beat Space: http://tinyurl.com/753xp
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/dbb5w           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 14, 2005 20:52
Artist: Various
Title: Lime Light
Label: Tribal Vision Records
Format: CD (Jewelcase with extensive 16 page booklet and DJ-inlay)
Released: May, 2005
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/tvr1cd002_b.jpg

Review:

Czech-based label Tribal Vision launched last year with the compilation "Urban Legends" – a release that received massive recognition from progressive psytrance circles, and gave the new label a lot of well-earned respect. Now, 6 months after "Urban Legends", the label is ready with their second release "Lime Light" – a compilation featuring a very impressive roster of some of the indisputably biggest artists on the progressive scene like Minilogue (Son Kite sideproject), Ticon, Jaïa plus a bunch of well-known and relatively new acts in the game.

Before I go on with in-depth descriptions of each track, I just have to say thumbs up for the cover. The artwork is very stylish and different from the usual fractals or random 3d-shapes, there’s an extensive 16-page booklet with pictures and detailed descriptions of all artists involved, a discography of both past and future releases from Tribal Vision, and last but not least a handy DJ-inlay. Once again very professional.

1. Jaïa Vs. French Kisz - Drifting Planet
Jaïa has always been one of my favourite morning acts, and after some years with only a few releases it looks like he’s (being as there is only Yannis left in the group) getting his big comeback, with a new album planned for release on Swedish powerhouse Digital Structures later this year. On "Drifting Planet" he teams up with a, to me, totally unknown French duo called French Kisz to make an amazing opener. The groove is very laidback, but the atmosphere is constantly evolving and succeeding in keeping the interest focused on the incredible small details, like the delicate melodies and the uplifting riff. Great for the early hours of a party.

2. Rai - Liquid
With "Groove" the czech newcomer Rai was one of the biggest surprises on the first compilation from Tribal Vision, and "Liquid" continue down the same line of soft housey grooves. Smooth is perhaps best word to describe his work; Every sound is perfectly polished and overall the track is extremely gentle and smooth as silk. Impossible not to get in a good mood to the caressing grooves in this tune.

3. Vision & Canedy - Collected Vibes
Vision & Canedys debut album last year on Hadshot was a very positive surprise, but their last 2 releases have been a bit too shallow and formulaic for my liking. "Collected Vibes" unfortunately follow the same formula as "Laguna" recently released on Plastik Park: the usual Vision & Canedy bassline, some very static percussion and basically nothing new to really make it interesting. Quite disappointing track.

4. Minilogue - Leloo
One of Son Kites many sideprojects is Minilogue, devoted to the more housey progressive music, and with this project they have had releases on influential labels like Baroque, SOG and Feed Me. "Leloo" was originally released on Baroque last year, and where I usually think the Minilogue atmosphere is slightly gloomy, this has a more uplifting trancy feel – somewhere between the Filur and Minilogue sound. The track also features a sweet vocal-sample (am I the only one who think it’s the same one used by Paste in "Code Bed"?) almost teasing the listener, and of course, like always from the High Hat studio, the bassline is huge and kicking.

5. Flowjob - Cloud Politics
My first and only encounter with the Danish duo Flowjob was "Fluff Me Tender" one of Ibogas best compilations to date, “FX” from 2003. "Cloud Politics" is a sweet track with some both house and progressive trance influences – the tempo is perhaps most suitable for the progressive house sets, while the overall use of more psychedelic sounds more feels like Scandinavian forest trance – an interesting combination.

6. Holm & Andersen - Cityrain
Holm & Andersen is a new producer-team/DJ-duo from Denmark – Holm being a well-known DJ for one of the most influential national party organisations, Audiobahn, and Andersen being Kristian Thinning Andersen of Elysium/Elysium Project and Sheyba fame. "Cityrain" is the first release from the duo, and I have quite mixed feelings about it: The style is a mix of tribal grooves and progressive house, but the sounds are tighter and electro oriented, and with a good, but definitely overused voice-sample. Interesting combination of sounds, but I didn’t really connect to it.

7. Ticon - Reflections
Since the release of their first album "Rewind" in 2001, the Swedish duo Ticon has been one of the biggest names on the progressive psytrance scene. "Reflections" is a teaser for their forthcoming 3rd album, once again to be released on Digital Structures, and like on the "Texas Magnusson"/"Spincycle" EP you can certainly feel that they’ve turned in a more melodic and uplifting direction. This is pure progressive trance, and you can really hear the massive experience in the production – the bassline is very dynamic and almost playing with the other melodies to form a rich and multilayered dance floor bomb.

8. Leo - Music Design Revolution
With New York-based Brazilian producer Leo things get a little bit darker. "Music Design Revolution" is the first track I hear from Leo, and it’s a quite pleasant surprise – a deep progressive monster with huge soundscapes and some seriously teeth-grinding metallic sounds. The atmosphere is perfect for the darker progressive sets, but perhaps I would have preferred if it would have had a more dramatic peak.

9. Shuma - Illektro Music
Croatian duo Shuma close the compilation with a track that definitely doesn’t sound like the rest: a freestyle progressive track with very distinct electro-influences, some breaks-elements and a groove that immediately reminded me of Ticons "Some Simple Sounds". The track seems chaotic at first, and I guess the sound will feel a bit flat and don’t appeal to some progressive psy listeners, but I find it interesting and quite entertaining. Certainly a different pick for ending the compilation, compared to most other releases.

Bottom line:

After the massive "Urban Legends" my expectations for "Lime Light" where very high, and luckily Tribal Vision once again delivered an extremely solid release with gems-a-plenty. Apart from the usual high quality material from the biggest artists, there’s also fresh material from new upcoming acts - especially Rai prove that he’s a really interesting discovery, and hopefully he’ll keep evolving in the years to come.

Also worth noticing is that the flow works very well (just like on "Urban Legends"), and the tracks are so diverse that there’s enough nice surprises along the way to keep attention focused for almost all 78 minutes of playtime. Despite not all tracks being excellent, the compilation feels very complete, and Slater and Schwa prove that "Urban Legends" was no lucky punch, and Tribal Vision is a label of the future.

Favourites:

1 (!!), 2 (!!), 4, 7 (!!), 8

Verdict:

9/10 – Best compilation so far in 2005, and definitely a must-have.

Link:

Tribal Vision Records: http://www.tribalvision.cz/          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Alex Boshke
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  59
Posted : May 16, 2005 16:33
Very nice compilation, in a whole this label got style more then any other newcomer label outthere.
Excellent music, artwork and output.
I liked this one musically much more then the first compilation, great music for the afternoon hours for upcoming open air summer 2005 season!
congratulations to Tribal Vision team!
schwa
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : May 16, 2005 21:21
Thanks for possitive comments and nice reviews...)

Alex: good luck with Boshke beats... Chronika chapter 2 is kicking release great musical piece.           dj schwa /TVR, BEEF records/
http://www.djschwa.net
http://www.beefrecords.net
http://www.tribalvision.cz
dr.zigfri

Started Topics :  1
Posted : May 17, 2005 22:40
Well one track rocks for sure.... !!!SHUMA!!! It has a really nice groove to it, and the synths.....really nice work. Shows that this guys know exactly what they're doing and how to do it! Respect guys!
aden
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  81
Posted : May 18, 2005 12:14
Thanx DeathPOsture and POfane for the acurate, well documented, and elegant reviews.

My copy is on its way!!
Riton
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : May 19, 2005 08:49
I only got to listen to this quickly, but i enjoyed it quite a lot. Good stuff!           "I went to Goa and all i got was this lousy superiority complex."
Dance N Dust
Dance N Dust

Started Topics :  83
Posted : May 19, 2005 11:47
i got my copy of that,, listening to it 3 times and i realy realy like that product..
realy high level of music and sound..
1,2 start with housy moode, Vision & Canedy great track,funky bass line atmosferic stuff.
Minilogue - Leloo",great track,sound from son kite guys, great job with voice sampler..
best i like here is the "Flowjob - Cloud Politics" good good trax..

ticon stuff are cool as well..
9/10 this cd is great also nice cover with great booklet..love it
buy that cd
good stuff from tribel vision
          out now:
Aumrec – Before The Beginning ,EP
V/a Beat Wins , Compiled by DJ Asherun
Embargaa - Slova . EP
www.myspace.com/dancendustrecords
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : May 22, 2005 01:26
Quote:

On 2005-05-21 21:41, nolightatend wrote:
I've stopped liking Son Kite after their album, even Minilogue album wasn't objective listening.

There is no Minilogue album.
          Believe your soul !
nahimoff
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : May 22, 2005 21:07
nolightatend you probably listened to son kites first album called minilogue released in 1999 if im not mistaken, which was a breakthrough in the minimal and progressive music of today. Dont trust your mp3 dealers its non reliable and shitty quality you cannot really review correctly! and kill the industry but lets leave it here dont want to get into this fight again its useless, back to the point:

Lime light is a pure bliss soft progressive
release definitely stands out in this years releases, tracklist is balanced and the cd flows great when you put it in the cd player and just let it go..
I will not get into a detailed description track by track since my fellow reviewers deathposture and pr0fane have already cleared that out for us in their very professional way ill just mark my favourites here:
jaia track is amazingly beautiful peace of music, rai track is really cool and fresh, leloo is a long time favourite of course with the crazy drive in it exploding after the long break, flowjob is a really good proggy tune tranciest here i guess and right in the spot orderwise!, and shuma's track is a great 80s electro reprise reminding me a lot of kraftwerks "music non stop" track who was a big inspiration for me back in the 80s until today and apparently also to shuma guys! rest of the track are nice but not outstanding, still the flow is superb here!
Way to go slater and schwa for another excellent release looking forward to your next one which should be more into pumping psy-gressive shure its going to be a blast too!

DJ NADI EarPeaks music Group (Domo/Tupan/Gat music)
www.domorecords.com info@domorecords.com
www.tupan-records.com www.earpeaks.com
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : May 22, 2005 21:30
Good Vibes

Ticon           -=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A – Lime Light (Tribal Vision Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance