Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - 'Lhiannon Sidhe' CD - (Mistress of Evil 2004)
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - 'Lhiannon Sidhe' CD - (Mistress of Evil 2004)

AcidScout

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Nov 1, 2004 20:59
wow, absolutly killer music. freaky twisted monster nightstuff at it's best.
all trax makes me hyperactive on the dancefloor

keep it evil and have fun!!!

Stash
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  58
Posted : Nov 6, 2004 16:27

very very appropriate for the night time insanity
got some brilliant artists on the tracklist

got real bombs in the form of some tracks

best tracks for me
Xenomorph >>>> got the goa vibe

para halu & Ghreg are other good ones

u girls have done a amazing job and given the scene what it needs
SOme insanity

good luck for the future

Bom           At the end there is a DOOR & waiting for you on the other side of that door is either HEAVEN or HELL
Insane Behavior
Insane Behavior

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Nov 7, 2004 16:36
- Good one Girls

Favorites : Mussy moody

¤ Bobo

tract
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Nov 16, 2004 22:50
Identity Crisis is doing it for me at the moment
          http://www.killahtea.com/

Underground Psychedelic Nightmusic
lunafix

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 18, 2004 17:04
ya, amandas track is wicked. really makes me twist
Mat N
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  272
Posted : Nov 20, 2004 15:40
yes yes yes, an amazing compilation with dark psy artists who can still keep it original- my favs are xenomorph (ofcourse), para halu and penta.
this cd makes me wanna go back to san fransisco to see what is going on there.
dirt dolphin

Posted : Nov 21, 2004 18:56
In the Sun enjoyment is had often of M.O.E by Mubali.

4am pleasure is had to of Amanda's Identity Crisis.

moogoo enjoyment is sienisized of the Nommos' impulses.

entity

Posted : Dec 10, 2004 22:52
Best compilation of the year for my taste.
Great deep dark interesting sounds from all the artists.
My tops: Gregh on Earth, Xenomorph, Penta and very interesting new artist Mubali.
Best luck to Mistress of Evil, great work
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 15, 2004 12:39
1. WELCOME TO M.O.E - Intro
2. MUSSY MOODY - Evil Forces
3. MUBALI - M.o.e
4. XENOMORPH - Maladjusted Noise Experiments
5. PARA HALU - In Nomine
6. FRACTAL COWBOYS - Mega Jesus of evil
7. GHREG ON EARTH - Chapel Perilous
8. AMANDA - Identity Crisis
9. THE NOMMOS - Impulses
10. PENTA - Too Cold

So latley I realized that it's been a while since I haven't bought any dark trance comps. And since this one got great reviews (for example, the Xenomorph and the Fractal Cowboys tracks are featured in Goa Gil's top 10) I decided to try this one for size.
First off, the name - Lhiannon Sidhe... that must be like the coolest name for a comp ever!! After some digging around the net I found out that the Lhiannon Sidhe (BTW Sidhe is pronounced "Shee" if you want to impress your friends ) were some sort of vampiric elves who supposedly populated parts in ancient Ireland. A little note I found on this forum:
http://www.promethianweb.com/fae/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=1972

"they actually functioned much like muses. they were attracted to artists, poets, musicians, etc...and their great beauty generally tended to make those men fall deeply in love with them. while the two were togeather, the man would create his greatest works, amazing masterpieces...but because while he was with the lhiannon sidhe he lived life *so* fully and completely, he would die young, a husk of his former self. the lhiannon sidhe does not *drain* her "victim", so much as cause him to wear himself out."
OK, that got me horny

Anyways, enough with the name and let's get on to how this sounds... well people talk a lot about full-on being formulaic but for me all this "dark trance" is just as formulaic as full-on: you take an ultra-fast bassline that sounds like a continuous drone, add some twisted wierd sounds throughout the track and give it a generally dark feeling + maybe a little melody starting around min. 5 or 6... For me this music hasn't changed much since Parvati's First Step which was released way back in 2001... So generally speaking this stuff is good for night sets at parties but doesn't have much value at home (well at least IMO...).

So then, after a little Intro, the madness slowly starts. Evil Forces starts out with a less fast pace, and wierd noises that seem to build up towards the end, but the result remains rather calm. There's even something that sounds like a violin melody in the end. I don't really like this track, but then again it's purpouse is to gradually build up to the other faster tracks and it does that pretty well

Mubali's tracks brings us to the "typical dark trance BPMs". The bassline is VERY deep, even TOO deep cause I felt compelled to turn down the volume of my subwofer when listening to it cause it tended to give me a headache. The last part of the track reminds me of some older Parasense . It's my first encounter with this artist and I like his style. Wonder how other stuff by him sounds like

Then on to full power with Xenomorph's track: oh man that's the stuff!After a tiny intro (exactly 21 seconds) a REALLY fast low-key repetitive synthline hits you and it stays with you during the whole track. On top you have rather slow airy synth progressions and a general feeling of unease. Then around 1:50 a nice dark melody kicks in, it kindof remined me of some MFG in some sorts... This is my fave track on this comp

Para Halu (what a wierd artist name?) comes next with more "formulaic" dark trance... until 6:45 when you can hear some opera ?!? then it brakes up and continues with some dark melody. Too bad one has to wait for 6 minutes to FINALLY get to the interesting part

Mega Jesus of Evil might be one of Goa Gils' fave tracks at the moment but personally I find it has nothing more compared to the "usual" russian trance that has been hitting us since 2000... come on people, it's time for a change here, it's been like 4 freaking years already!

Greg on Earth serves us with a more dynamic style: there are a lot of twisted sinth lines and the bassline changes constantly thoughout the track. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that triggers dark thoughts when tripping at a psy party And the buildup at the end of minute 6... ohhhh maaaan that's the shit!! This is my second fave track here!!

Amanda comes with a track that's again too formulaic for my tastes...

Then come The Nommos (Goa Gil's project) with a new track. It's much darker than the stuff on their Digitaria album... and also less distinct in sound... in other words, we're back into formula territory...

Penta is one of my all-favorite dark trance artists (man, the dark trip I was while listening to him live last summer at a festival lol ). However the track here is less impressive compared to his older stuff IMO. That said it must have one of the wierdest breaks around 4:00 with something that sounds like some sort of bird (a seagull?) to my ears, some voices in an undistinguishable language (at first it sounds like russian, then german, then an english voice "Where are you, stupid fuck?" and this REALLY wierd melody... Interesting track but it falls a little short...

Finally, a little comment on the track names: "Evil Forces", "Chapel Perilous" and the cherry on the cake, "Mega Jesus of Evil"... isn't this getting a little ridiculous? Yes, we know it's supposed to be dark trance, now don't rub it in. Kindof reminds me those Thunderdome compilations were there was basically a competition to find the darkest possible name "The Revenge of the Mummy", "The Killing Playground", "Death Becomes You"... in the end it's kindof silly if you ask me...

Conclusion well I guess that if you like dark psy then you can't go wrong with this one... personally I find that the style hasn't changed much since the stuff released by Parvati in 2001 and is getting a bit too formulaic for my tastes... Maybe try something else than some wierd synth lines thrown on top of a continuous bassline drone for a change? That doesn't mean ALL the tracks here are uncreative, Xenomorph and Greg on Earth really stand out on this one : ) 7/10 from me
Nikita:Penta
Penta

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Dec 16, 2004 00:30
>..."Where are you, stupid fuck?"

- that shoul read "Where are you stupid sun?"

Also this track is a lot older than the stuff you have heard in Belgium...
          Penta Website - http://www.pentafiles.com
AuraQuake - http://www.auraquake.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pentafiles
Soundcloud - http://www.soundcloud.com/penta
Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/pentafiles
DJAmanita
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  31
Posted : Dec 16, 2004 05:05
>>they actually functioned much like muses. they were attracted to artists, poets, musicians, etc...and their great beauty generally tended to make those men fall deeply in love with them. while the two were togeather, the man would create his greatest works, amazing masterpieces...but because while he was with the lhiannon sidhe he lived life *so* fully and completely, he would die young, a husk of his former self. the lhiannon sidhe does not *drain* her "victim", so much as cause him to wear himself out." >>

Sounds like what happened to Roger Waters from Pink Floyd.

This comp is still rocking me. Thanks MOE!
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 16, 2004 12:38
Quote:
>..."Where are you, stupid fuck?"

- that shoul read "Where are you stupid sun?"

oooops... sorry bout that... do you have the whole sample? I'm really cusious about this one...

also, didn't know this is one of your older stuff, then I'm definatley looking forward to your new album
Voice of All
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : Dec 16, 2004 13:07
well people talk a lot about full-on being formulaic but for me all this "dark trance" is just as formulaic as full-on: you take an ultra-fast bassline that sounds like a continuous drone, add some twisted wierd sounds throughout the track and give it a generally dark feeling + maybe a little melody starting around min. 5 or 6... For me this music hasn't changed much since Parvati's First Step which was released way back in 2001... So generally speaking this stuff is good for night sets at parties but doesn't have much value at home (well at least IMO...).
2 moondancer: hey, friend, this is realy my opinion. Do not see words like these in this forum often.           Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.
GhregOnEarth
Phosphene

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Dec 17, 2004 23:42
I've heard that if you play this compilation while watching the movie "The Island of Dr. Moreau" the music syncs up perfectly.
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 18, 2004 12:26
thank you Voice of All
Actually I was beginning to wonder if it wasn't me who was missing on something since aparently I was the only one thinking that way
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - 'Lhiannon Sidhe' CD - (Mistress of Evil 2004)
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance