Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Hocus Peakus (Peak Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Hocus Peakus (Peak Records 2005) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Jul 6, 2005 13:07
V/A – Hocus Peakus

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/dskxf

Artist: Various
Title: Hocus Peakus
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Peak Records (Austria)
Cat. #: PR005
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 4 July 2004

Track listing:

01. 02’44” The Peaking Goddess Collective feat. Alex Grey – The Human Experiment
02. 07’28” Yab-Yum - Immortal
03. 07’35” Electrypnose - Opto
04. 08’24” Naked Tourist – 3 Lines In A Row
05. 08’02” Sector D – Fucking Chorus
06. 08’00” Atriohm – Pagan Anaesthetic
07. 06’24” Seroxat - Victory
08. 07’26” Blisargon Demogorgon - Undead
09. 07’04” Mystic Instinct – Peak Dreams
10. 07’05” Yab-Yum vs. Drumatik – Tripmatik
11. 06’01” Dymons feat. Cintia & Flooting Grooves – Cosmic Waves

Review:

Peaking Pantastic!

Peak Records from Switzerland has fast become on of my favourite labels - especially the Peaking In Tongues compilation was very good and one of the best released in 2004… This is their fifth release and looking at the tracklist reveals some familiar names + a couple of newbies… DJ Gaspard compiled it and I trust his judgement blindly… I can’t wait to pop this on… Let’s go!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: The Peaking Goddess Collective feat. Alex Grey – The Human Experiment [70 BPM]
“God said; the human experiment is a success! There indeed have been many beings who’ve come to know the source of creation and the cosmos. And who’ve become God-conscious. That was the purpose of putting this cosmos into evolutionary dominance. To enable the beings inhabiting this vast tapestry of existence. The opportunity to more fully know themselves… And ultimately to know their true identity as god... As the one... As spirited self! I’m pleased humanity is a success! Even with the suffering… That’s what it took!” As tradition has it, Peak releases start out with a trippy, hippy ambient piece… As on the Chilling Goddess compilation the collective is here joined by legendary visionary artist Alex Grey. .. Spiritual stuff indeed – very old school somehow… A fine way to start this compilation…

#02: Yab-Yum – Immortal [146 BPM]
“Do you remember anything of your life before you were on the planet? …No!” Peak Records Swiss label-bosses Gaspard & Ajja S.F.Leu kick things into dance-mode… These guys have yet to let me down and they easily steal the show on all compilations they are featured on… Last on was the Alien FM compilation released by Dropout Production earlier this year… This track is no exception – this is excellent trancefloor fodder… Digital tribal drums, stereo FX, organic pads, nifty melodies and the phattest bassline this side of the Alps… The break is also particularly well executed – retaining tension and building suspension… Aaargh – so well done! A very, very trippy and ultra-funky hypertrance tracks… Come on guys – release an album already! This rocks!

#03: Electrypnose – Opto [147 BPM]
“Alright, we went to hell and back again in this thing, so I wanna know now, where’s the door out of here?” As with the previous Peak releases this compilation is slightly mixed, so we drift seamless into the next track here… Vince Le Barde from Switzerland released his debut album Brain Stretching on ResonantEarth.com earlier in 2005 – and the Swiss wizard has also impressed me with his frequent compilation tracks – and sure enough this rocks too… Vince brings forth his very unique, trippy underground sound… Big fat, twirling acid-lines steal the show – along with tons and tons of funny samples and bits and pieces... All within a night-time trance framework… Style wise, this track could have easily been on one of the first Parvati Records compilations… Trippy, oddball night-time trance… Nice!

#04: Naked Tourist – 3 Lines In A Row [146 BPM]
Naked Tourist is Z-Neo and Iguana from Germany really, really impressed me with their track on Psychedelically Yours 3 released earlier this year on Parvati Records… As always with these guys the drug-link is evident – and yeah, why not just be honest about it… This does go down very well with three lines in a row – the haunting atmosphere here + the constant evolution and building towards a climax… That shit gets your synapses going – and I’m all about firing up those little bastards… Overall this is a darkish, haunting, spooky track… I like how this never really goes full-blown – but somehow it’s still super-funky and danceable like hell… Designed to mess with your brain! Sweet!

#05: Sector D – Fucking Chorus [146 BPM]
Sector D are J. Molinari & Luis M.C. Lopes from Portugal – N3XU5 & Darkpsy in cahoots! The first minute sounds anonymous to me, but later on the track picks up… Emphasis is definitely on the many acid-lines here… This is absolutely soaked in acid – and I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but it’s maybe even too much acid… Nah – it’s still pretty good! The cartoon-samples are also pretty cool – and will light an even bigger smile on all the dancers’ faces… This is a pretty solid track – not as good as the rest here, but still pretty good!

#06: Atriohm – Pagan Anaesthetic [146 BPM]
Atriohm are n00bs to the psytrance circuits… The duo consists of L. Golcev & A. Golcev from the Republic of Macedonia… This is another full-blown stomping party track – drenched in acid-lines and twirling melodies… With a deep, eerie atmosphere running in the background – the spooky singing really tops it off… This is haunting stuff for sure… What a debut! Sweet!

#07: Seroxat – Victory [146 BPM]
Offer Maoz released his debut album Brutal Beats on Crystal Matrix Records in 2004 and has had plenty of compilation tracks on such labels as Discovally, Deja Vu, Stoneage, Apocalypse, Timecode Records and Inpsyde Media… By looking at that list of labels you can pretty much tell what style this music is in – and yeah, you guessed it – this is fast-paced, darkish night-trance… Mr. Maoz shows us a track with an impressive amount of energy… Loads of trippy FX, build-ups, changes in pace and direction… Yes, this has immediate dancefloor potential and also does pretty damn well in my living room... Bounce motherfuckers! Stellar track!

#08: Blisargon Demogorgon – Undead [146 BPM]
Macedonian producer Valentino Trencev impressed me with his deep, dark, spooky, acid-driven hypertrance track on the Ketuh ALittle Lunacy compilation released earlier this year… This is very spooky too – the title is a dead give away (pun intended)… A very haunting intro here – brutally interrupted by a mean-ass bassline… Spookiness throughout the track is maintained by some eerie, atmospheric pads in the background… In the foreground we have twisting acid-lines, rapid percussion and all kinds of synth-action… Sadly there are a couple of minutes halfway thru when the track seems to lack a little energy and drive… But it really, really picks up for the last two minutes… Booo-fucking-hoo! Nice track!

#09: Mystic Instinct – Peak Dreams [147 BPM]
Mystic Instinct is Marco Daravelski - head of Glowing Flame and Xilium Records… I really like the floating intro here… The stereo-FX sounds very trippy in headphones… The rhythm section here is also pretty damn impressive – very trippy and almost hypnotizing… The stiff kicks are pretty original and overall the focus drive is impressive in this track … Works as home listening but definitely also on the dancefloor… Nice track!

#10: Yab-Yum vs. Drumatik – Tripmatik [144 BPM]
“Nobody makes me breathe my own blood… Nobody!” Peak regulars battle Peak regulars here… Combine the talents of Drumatik, Ajja S.F. Leu & DJ Gaspard – and you’ve got enough manpower to wipe out a couple of garrisons of imperial droids… This is ultra-trippy stuff – constantly evolving, changing and taking you in different directions without ever loosing the ever important trip-focus… This is what psytrance is all about – and this is a fucking excellent track! Nuff said!

#11: Dymons feat. Cintia & Flooting Grooves – Cosmic Waves [72 BPM]
As usual we end things with a collective, downbeat effort… And after all those dancefloor stompers it’s nice to rest your ears and legs… This is icy-cold ambient – virtually beatless in the first half with emphasis on organic, rich floating soundscapes… Nice way to finish things off for sure…

This is one of the best compilations I’ve heard in a long time! I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but DAMN Peak Records knows their shit… If Peaking In Tongues and Chilling Goddess didn’t convince you, I’m sure this will… This is high quality dance music – conveniently placed in between a couple of downbeat tunes to ensure you a musical journey with a close to perfect flow…

The quality level here is jaw dropping good… Seriously, there isn’t a single bad track here… Obviously some are better then others, but there are several very, very good tracks… The flow is very good and this will be both a handy DJ tool and valuable asset to any trance collection... The cover art is perhaps less colourful than some of the previous releases, but it’s still very trippy in all its simplicity… I will not hesitate to give this compilation my highest recommendations… It’s essential! Now go buy it… Enjoy!

Favourites: 2(!!), 3, 4, 6, 7(!), 8, 10(!)

DeathPosture

External links:
Peak Records: http://www.peaking-goddess.com
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/dqaqy
TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/9j925
Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/btskk
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/8apwy
PsySale: http://tinyurl.com/c4kcs
Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/7e5yh
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/8y7xs
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Rah
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Jul 6, 2005 23:10
i want this one BAAADDDD... if you are not yet convinced, you owe it yourself to hear those samples.

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4952

now if could only exchange certain purchaises i made for this one instead

elementoftime.net
musique à la carte in mp3 & wav.

Sonic-energy.net
Reviews, interviews, downloads, articles.
shpongled

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jul 7, 2005 12:23
great review and great album:) best dark-psy compilation in this year...
Riton
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Jul 7, 2005 14:58
just for the info, it's a rmx of three lines in a row, not the originaly version           "I went to Goa and all i got was this lousy superiority complex."
gaspard
Yab Yum

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Jul 8, 2005 11:02
high!!!
thanks DP for great review!!

we re hoping that many will feel the same way!!

shpongled & rah: thanks!! flattery will get you
everywhere!!!

riton: you re absolutely correct! its a rmx of the original track!

all the best!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett
High Pulse
Darkpsy

Started Topics :  57
Posted : Jul 8, 2005 12:00
eheheh im waiting our cd's then ill give my review eheeh but this is a solid compilation

boom           "HIGH PULSE" AKA FUSION OF DARKPSY PROJECTS
http://www.myspace.com/highpulsemusic
http://www.beatbiz.net/artists/High-Pulse <- musiC FOR SELL.
Rah
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Jul 8, 2005 14:21
Quote:

On 2005-07-08 11:02, gaspard wrote:
shpongled & rah: thanks!! flattery will get you
everywhere!!!

actually... it won't take me anywhere...
just accept the compliment
          elementoftime.net
musique à la carte in mp3 & wav.

Sonic-energy.net
Reviews, interviews, downloads, articles.
Encephalopaticys
Encephalopaticys

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jul 9, 2005 01:11
aha killa comp.
bery good choise and movment in the musice
go on and boooooooooooooooooooom
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Jul 9, 2005 21:58
great compilation - best one in a long time. some super-psychedelic stuff on here, and some dancefloor bombs as well. very nice surprise, good job Peak recs!

..it's just another party..
Dj Chris Planet
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Jul 10, 2005 03:16
Well i just my copy of this through today and i must say i am really impressed. There is a great flow to the whole compilation and has a hard edge but still keep's a dancefloor quality to it. Great work Gaspard and crew, keep them coming
Boom           Let us take you on a journey, that will take you from are small world stage and orbit you beyond our fragile planet......
Kalari
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  11
Posted : Jul 10, 2005 19:16
i am gonna buy it solely cuz m a big fan of naked tourist! they r the best in the scene and they are gonna continue being the best for a long time to come! a big salut to bjorn! peace man!
P_Mac
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Jul 14, 2005 21:30
Quote:

On 2005-07-10 19:16, dmt_in_vagator wrote:
i am gonna buy it solely cuz m a big fan of naked tourist! they r the best in the scene and they are gonna continue being the best for a long time to come! a big salut to bjorn! peace man!

Once you buy it you will see thast there alot more that give you a good run for you money.

I like this comp very much!
Stand out tracks are:

04. 08’24” Naked Tourist – 3 Lines In A Row
06. 08’00” Atriohm – Pagan Anaesthetic
09. 07’04” Mystic Instinct – Peak Dreams
Peekers you did it again
Great job and Thank you

I think I should have a word with your post man .

Boom from sunny Wien

www.boomfestival.org
www.ketuhrecords.com

DONT SEND MP3 SAMPLES PLS!!!!!
sashe atriohm
Atriohm

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jul 15, 2005 20:00
Yesterday i received the cd's and there are no words only smiles
But I must say that the mastering is WOOOW!!!
Favorites:
02.Yab-Yum-immortal
04.Naked Tourist-3 lines in a row(rmx)
09.Mystic Instinct-peak dreams
CRX(HSS Records)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Jul 18, 2005 19:07
gaspard always has nice things in his stashbag!
good luck with the release
respect,
CRX,athens           Helicon Sounds Music
www.hssr.gr
Dennis the menace
DevilsDennis Sparris McHilton

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Jul 19, 2005 02:31
Very nice compilation!!! its a journey itself
Favourites are the Yab-Yum, electrypnose and Atriohm
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Hocus Peakus (Peak Records 2005) CD

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance