Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A, Amarasya #2, Blue Tunes Recordings, feb. 2006

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A, Amarasya #2, Blue Tunes Recordings, feb. 2006

aden
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  81
Posted : Mar 6, 2006 04:06
V/A - Amarasya vol. 2

Artist : Various
Format : CD (jewel case)
Label : Blue Tune Recordings (Germany)
Release date : feb. 2006

Track listing :

1. ODISEO VS JAKA : Run away

2. ANTIX VS BITMONX : Tane (XV Killist Rmx)

3. HUMAN TRAFFIC : Laughing guys with tits

4. LIQUID SOUL : Confused

5. ACE VENTURA : Rebirth

6. LIQUID SOUL : Born in a new world (Symphonix rmx)

7. FABIO AND DAY-DIN : Electro express

8. TRUE LIES : Default

The new label Blue Tunes Recordings releases the second volume of the Amarasya compilation after the success of the first edition hosted by German Label Sinn Tec. Blue tunes seems to be the creation of well known DJs and festival promoters DJs Montagu and Golkonda, who also compiled this CD (as many others for Sinn Tec), if I got the story right. The cast for this second edition takes up some of the fames from Amarasya #1, although under different aliases or with different partnerships. Let’s see if this second volume can be compared with the first for quality.

#01. ODISEO VS JAKA : Run away (138 bpm)
Cancun based producer Ulises Pascula, aka DJ Odiseo, also known as Xibalba and Ski Fi, with many releases on Sinn Tec and Plusquam, teams up with Jaka to open the ball with the fastest track in the CD, running at 138 bpm. It is built up around a male voice sample that sings “open your eyes…try to run away…” It has a groovy bass line which will sound familiar, although not similar, to Xibalba aficionados (think of “Unos” for ex.). A pleasant intertwining of synth lines build up an atmospheric ambiance that echoes the chirping bird and the female voice in the break. Nice intro, but not an outstanding track overall.

#02. ANTIX VS BITMONX : Tane (XV Killist Rmx) (133 bpm)
Swiss master Kilian, known as XV Kilist, offers a rmx version of a track from Antix and Bitmonx published in 2003 on the Widescreen compilation by Plusquam. Kilist is no new comer here and, as matter of fact, already has a strong musical background. He already has two artist albums on Swedish label Spiral Trax, the first one in 2001, and the second one in 2003 titled “Alfa Aroma”. In addition to that he runs the Swiss label Traktor Schallabor. His first album was quite a breakthrough in the progressive scene for his style: radically minimal, with a zest of funk influences. A style which was not to be followed up in his second album, where he embarked on a blend of House and Trance with a clubby approach. This gives the flavour of his recent releases. This rmx is in that vein, with a very interesting and original syncopated bass line/kick drum combo. It sounds housey and transcends the original which did not captivate me. The synth thematic material remains very close to the original with interesting variations in the sound effects, adding reverbs here, faint voices there, unfolding on a lengthier scale (11 mn!) but keeping the original tempo, 133 bpm. Fine piece of progressive House-Trance.

#03. HUMAN TRAFFIC : Laughing guys with tits (133 bpm)
Next is the second track published under the Human Traffic moniker by prog trance pioneer, Thomas Johanson aka Dj Mapusa Mapusa, and DJ Golkonda, (Stephan Woetanowski, one half of the Symphonix project). Their first publication was on the Irresistible Meltdown #4 released by Plusquam in Nov. 2005. T. Johanson can be praised for his collaborations, whether he teams up with Shiva Shandra (Auricular) or Dj Fabio (Fusi and Johnson). Each one yields excellent musical results, IMHO. While their first track really sounded close to some slower Fusi & Johnson material, this one soars toward new horizons, leaning slightly toward electro. It seems structured around an understated male voice sample which gives the track’s melodic identity. It is echoed by laughter in the intro and the break. Then the arrangements unfold the melodic theme with tasty, reverberated synth work, while a solid and varied bass line alongside a pounding snare/kick drum treatment make this track a guaranteed success on the dance floor. Funny title by the way !

#04. LIQUID SOUL : Confused (135 bpm)
Liquid Soul of Switzerland is the moniker for Nick Capobianco’s project. This talented musician established himself, in hardly more than a year, as a much sought after commodity by all major progressive labels. There is hardly a release on which he does not appear, whether it be on his solo project, as is the case here, or with the recent collab under the name “Earsugar”. The track opens with a classic intro, disclosing a serious rhythmical section that reminds me of some 2001 S Range material. Phat production for a groovy trance tune. This is an straightforward track that unravels its thematic material quickly and the further developments just take it up again. Nothing surprising here, although it is certainly a reliable DJ tool. I tend to prefer his recent “Colour” that came out on Domo almost simultaneously, not to mention the gems he gratified us with on the recent Iboga or Plastik Park compilations. He is preparing a debut album I am eagerly waiting for.

#05. ACE VENTURA : Rebirth (135 bpm)
Now comes Ace Ventura who is now well known for being the progressive project of Yoni Oshrat from Psysex, and who is also very active here on this forum under the Mr Hanky nickname. This is his fourth released track under this project name, not including the juicy rmx of Beckers’ hit track of the year 2005. The years of work as part of Psysex really show through in each of his productions. With this 135 bpm monster Yoni seems to recover the inspiration of his seminal “cardiac arrest” (published on Iboga’s Set 4) or the recent R.I.S.E. on the Hibernation compilation (ibid.). This track is scented with a full-on approach, with a quite dark, yet atmospheric, therefore night-oriented vibe. One easily recognizes his trademark here: superb and impressive sound production, skillful use of percussions (timbales? here and likewise in R.I.S.E.; congas in the “go with da flow”, published by Flow rec.), minimal, twirling, whip-like synths, and last but not least, hammering pounding kick bass combo that ROCKS! After tracks at 130 bpm, on Flow and Iboga, this is surely one of his best. Recently heard on a good 25 kilos sound system, this is a blast that really works well as a transition between a full-on set and a progressive finish. Thumbs up! His album due out in summer on Iboga is another great expectation.

6. LIQUID SOUL : Born in a new world (Symphonix rmx) (134 bpm)
Liquid Soul returns, but with a rmx version by the Symphonix duo of a track initially published on the Tshitraka compilation at Sinn Tec. It features an enthralling female voice that lightly sings “this is what I was waiting for… I don’t belong to you… I’m someone special… Use your imagination…etc.” until the eponymous “born in a new world” comes in. The rmx is somewhat close to the original. It rightly takes up the female voice that recurs throughout the track, adds some atmospheric synths and a distinctive arrangement that sounds like a distant marimba ostinato which seems to be directly taken from the late developments in Frogacult’s pearl “All seasons”. We lose the housey flavour of the original but gain, as the bpm rises, some trancey touches.

#07. FABIO AND DAY-DIN : Electro express (132 bpm)
Now, with “Electro express” from Fabio (another usual suspect of the Amarasya comp.) and Day Din, we have a fine piece of electro, as the title sums up. The rhythmic motif, the new-wave flavoured synth, the break which showcases the reintroduction of snare/kick drum are all derived from electro influences… It may sound a bit formulated to some, and, in that respect, I tend to prefer the achievements of Phony Orphants, or Ticon, to remain in the Trance realm, and to name but a few, not to mention Martin H.

#08. TRUE LIES : Default (130 bpm)
True Lies, a funny oxymoronic name, is a new project alias for the Woetanowski brothers, better known as Symphonix, who have produced numerous quality releases on German labels. Here again, we have an interesting exploration of the electro influence. It sometimes sounds close to some of Phony Orphants’ last album’s material. A nice and trendy way to finish the album.

Conclusion
Nice quality-laden follow-up to the first Amarasya. It is very diversified in genre and tempo, and will fit almost all tastes of prog music lovers, with ventures into electro terrain. My “AbFab” tops are the Ace Ventura (!!!), the Human Traffic (!!), the Kilist rmx (!) and the Liquid Soul (!). The album is definitely worth the investment and deserves a good grade. Nonetheless, I would still rate the first volume slightly above this one.

Aden
ZeRo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Mar 6, 2006 23:09
great review man. it looks like this one is worth buying just for the ace ventura track which by your description fits my style exactly.           ein chadash tachat hashemesh. there is nothing new under the sun. --kohelet.
Spintwista
Spin Twist records

Started Topics :  46
Posted : Mar 7, 2006 11:57
Hi,

very nice Cd!

good luck with the new label!

all the best from Spintwist.Rec

Hannes...

www.vaishiyas.de
www.spintwist.de
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Mar 7, 2006 15:01
07 Fabio vs Day Din - Electro Express - Its 100% copy / paste from D-Nox - 7 Hours tune. Same sounds, same structure..           Believe your soul !
leandromorales
Demonizz/Duophonix

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Mar 7, 2006 16:30
My favor is:

2. ANTIX VS BITMONX : Tane (XV Killist Rmx)

3. HUMAN TRAFFIC : Laughing guys with tits

4. LIQUID SOUL : Confused

5. ACE VENTURA : Rebirth

good           ========= DemonizZ and DuoPhonix =========

----www.demonizz.com----
www.myspace.com/demonizz
------------------------------------------
odysseus
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Mar 7, 2006 19:43
nice compilation

all the best           give me darma, take your karma..
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : Mar 16, 2006 16:15
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 15:01, Zombi wrote:
07 Fabio vs Day Din - Electro Express - Its 100% copy / paste from D-Nox - 7 Hours tune. Same sounds, same structure..

A skilled deejay could make something great with these two..           .
"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Mar 16, 2006 17:55
Solid compilation although sometimes pretty standard stuff. But who's complaining when it's this good eh?? I love the XV Kilist remix and hope he's working on a third album as we speak... The Ace Ventura track is pretty good too, although it took me a while to get into. The rest is pretty standard stuff, and not bad at that. A worthy buy.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Manda
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  29
Posted : Mar 18, 2006 03:18
Some good stuffs, but I don't like this proggy house, it mixs with proggy trance, thats make me sad, damn money
sherlockalien
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Mar 18, 2006 13:57
somehow I fear this will be a very much normal boring psyprog cd.. which is exactly what I dont want...

maybe I´ll check it out, though..
olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Mar 18, 2006 17:45
Quote:

On 2006-03-18 03:18, Manda wrote:
Some good stuffs, but I don't like this proggy house, it mixs with proggy trance, thats make me sad, damn money

lol
apart from a few exceptions, there is no money in progressive scene, housy or trancy, it's all the same...or maybe some people lied to me ???:D
u can forget about your clichés ;)
Dj Sobrinho @ Tantra
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Mar 18, 2006 22:07
Killer track from Fabio & Day Din ! Sounds Like D-nox - Seven Hours ....
ZeRo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Mar 19, 2006 02:58
the XV killist track is a masterpiece although the rest of the compilation is just slightly above average. the default track to end the comp is good if you dig some hedonistic electro...it reminds me of a dark cavern on an island off spain with lots of beautiful girls shaking booties on bleachers.

ace ventura track is good but not as good as his other releases.           ein chadash tachat hashemesh. there is nothing new under the sun. --kohelet.
sherlockalien
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Mar 25, 2006 16:47
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 15:01, Zombi wrote:
07 Fabio vs Day Din - Electro Express - Its 100% copy / paste from D-Nox - 7 Hours tune. Same sounds, same structure..

INDEED! WTF?!

I wonder what dnox would think... or what they have to say about it..

total copy paste, how ridiculous
chong

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 25, 2006 18:08
i would just say that everyone is a copycat of someone else
nobody burnt d nox on the public place with his switch while it was an obvious copycat of infusion(same structure, same kick, same bass , same percussion)...
no need to be so rude guys , that's how it works
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A, Amarasya #2, Blue Tunes Recordings, feb. 2006

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance