Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - The A.U.M Festival, Full Moon July 2007, North America
← Prev Page
12 13 14 15 16 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

The A.U.M Festival, Full Moon July 2007, North America

DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : May 11, 2007 00:12
we could also hide the DJs from view so that nobody knows who is playing at any given time..

DJs, in the end, should not be the focal point of a musical experience.           ..it's just another party..
Deep-Fryer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : May 11, 2007 01:10
We had considered just having a massive screen in front of the decks showing loops of Oakenfold, Skazi, etc doing various incarnations of the Jesus pose during Esoteric events.... intermittent, of course, with the odd monkey washing a kitten in a sink.
mubali
Mubali

Started Topics :  71
Posted : May 11, 2007 02:49
I'm sure that the music will have a full journey and the only limitation that there will be musically is the amount of djs that play a certain sound... Take into consideration that there is about 4 days of music, that's gonna be a lot of people playing... I think that if you take into account almost every dj that blew your mind at a party in the states, then you might an idea of the lineup at the party... I personally have no clue who's playing yet, but I really don't think that it matters. For once, let's think of the music as the means to an end...

The goal of this festival is to unite the people here. Get the east coasters to chill with the west coaster, get the guys in Iowa to meet the guys in Texas, the Seattle people to meet the Boston people... If you let a silly thing like music stop you from meeting people you already have things in common with, you could stay home and listen to your ipod...

I know that all of you have to pick and choose your parties, but the whole concept of this festival relies upon the smaller communities making a larger one... Kinda like burning man, but with less drunk frat boys.           An Eagle may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Skeeve
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  38
Posted : May 11, 2007 04:44
I love the idea of a party that binds together the smaller communities into one larger one... that's what I think parties do in general, just on smaller and larger scales depending on the size, location, and styles of music played at the event. YEah, I said it... the styles of music... let's not forget that we aren't just any community; we're the u.s. PSYTRANCE community. Maybe I'm offbase here, but I think of music as being the glue that binds the various psytrance communities that I've interacted and participated in together, much in the same way that the jam band scene is all about jam bands and the house community is all about house. Yes, obviously there is alot more to it then that; there are attitudes and pursuits that go with these genre oriented communities, and I think its really a chicken and egg thing; are we into psytrance because we love psychedlic experiences? Or did we find out about psychedelic experiences after going out to hear some psytrance and meeting the people there? But we don't have to answer that question to remember that the music isn't just A factor in binding us together, I think its arguably THE factor, though there are obviously many other important ones as well.

So, that being said, why do some people want to know who is going to be playing prior to committing to going? Well, while how the various subgenres of psytrance are defined relative to each other is a subject of much debate (what is neuro? what do you call music in the 140 bpm range that is organized like prog? Does astrolahb goodness really have some sort of weird, quasi-sexual relationship with simon posford?), I have yet to hear anyone make the claim that there are no differences between these genres and we should just refer to everything as psytrance. No, different strokes for different folks, and if you read the postings here in the N.A. forum you'll see that different cities and regions seem to book way more of some styles then others. I know when aum was first being organized and it became apparent that Megan of M.O.E. was playing a key role in organizing it there was a fear voiced that the lineup would be composed almost exclusively of high bpm craziness a la NorCal. I don't think that that is what has happened, but for many people I think that being able to see with their own eyes that the lineup will be balanced will create a higher comfort level with buying a plane ticket and taking a week off work... I know if the party did turn out to be 4 days of neuro I for one probably wouldn't attend...
mono mono
Onnomon

Started Topics :  5
Posted : May 11, 2007 04:50
Hmmmm...so let's see...I'm not going to chance going to AUM because I don't think there will be maybe 4 people that will rock my socks off? Take the talent pool from the continent, I think there's a good chance there will be at least 4 people who rock you socks. I'm using 4 as an example for a typical festival...you tend to expect that number of artists to be "good".

I look at AUM as a "national convention", like Burning Man, to coelesce the local communities. What's cool about the big international festivals is that you run into people you've met in other parts of the world...a real sense of global family. I've been fortunate to experience that here in the States to some extent, I think this to be an opportunity for all.

robyo

Started Topics :  4
Posted : May 11, 2007 15:19
Quote:

On 2007-05-11 00:12, DiMiTry wrote:
we could also hide the DJs from view so that nobody knows who is playing at any given time..

DJs, in the end, should not be the focal point of a musical experience.

Awesome. Only, how will we know who to give the Evil Eye to for causing trainwrecks and playing Oakenfold tracks?
Deep-Fryer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : May 11, 2007 18:08
I agree with many of the opinions expressed above. This is essentially an opportunity to take many of the great aspects of Burning Man that trancers love (ie, the psychedelic music, sense of community, pioneering spirit, unpredictability, etc.) and simmer those selected elements into a focused stew in a significantly more hospitable environment devoid of many of the aforementioned detractions/nuisances. This WILL be the most magical place on the continent during that sweet week in July. Be there to oogle the whimsy, soak up the sounds, and witness the beginning of a new paradigm for N. American psychedelia
vikuna29
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : May 11, 2007 18:30
Nice... A lot of views and a lot of posts, all good for a psy trance festival. I read the first page and then skipped to the 14th, just no time to go through all of it.

Some thoughts:

In terms of the music, I am not familiar with any of these US artists (nor do I feel like I'm missing out truthfully). All this community talk is great, but let's not loose sight of why we are here... it's all about the music: the better the music, the better the experience... community and sharing with people and connecting is, I feel, secondary.

Further, I think that one of the most interesting aspects of the global psy trance following is its apparently chaotic but statistically consistent nature. This music is all about anarchy: people listen to what they want when they want, without regard to previous signals from other agents, causing one of the most efficient information cascades known to man. Breaking that fundamental principle for something more "democratic" where opinions are weighed equally and polling is used to define lineups is simply nonsense. There's a reason why the organizers feel they are the right people to manage this experience, and they should decide who plays.

Surprise us!
famiable
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : May 11, 2007 18:41
Quote:

On 2007-05-11 01:10, Deep-Fryer wrote:
We had considered just having a massive screen in front of the decks showing loops of Oakenfold, Skazi, etc doing various incarnations of the Jesus pose during Esoteric events.... intermittent, of course, with the odd monkey washing a kitten in a sink.

LOL!! That would be a nice one for sure:) How are things going in Japan for ya..will we see you back in the US anytime soon??
Come down to minneapolis this time if you can
          You may think you can fly..but you better not try :)
paradigm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  54
Posted : May 11, 2007 21:10
" soak up the sounds and witness a new paradigm for
North America psychedelia"

he- he...........

Logical Light Music - SF
Straylight Productions -SF
Sound/Mind - Denver
Xcience - Midwest

mixes for dl at :
http://www.thehothouse.net/straylight/paradigm/index.htm

"He who ha-ha's last, ha-ha's best"
KaiserSoze
Primordial Ooze

Started Topics :  11
Posted : May 11, 2007 21:16
He said a "new" paradigm, not that old washed up one..           AntiShanti/Sangoma
Chilluminati.org, T.O.U.C.H. Samadhi
MKultraProjects

Started Topics :  6
Posted : May 11, 2007 23:03
Honestly, I can GET the idea of why you wouldn't want to post the line up, but I don't think its very practical what so ever.

Why anybody would commit to a party, invest money, time, etc., buy tickets, airplane tickets, transportation to and from the airport to locations, food, drinks, sleeping bags, etc, etc, etc, Spend 4 days of there live at essentially a music festival, without knowing which artist will even be there?

I get the whole spiritual community, united states of america psytrance larger community union thingy...
but I haven't gone to one party yet without knowing who is playing.

To each there own, so please nobody take this personal, but personally I love real hard, heavy psychedelic trance, and I can't stand, and I mean I loathe, Full-on.
To me, it’s not even psychedelic. A full-on fan once told me that my "dark" is anti-life, this and that and that they just don’t get it. (maybe I don’t get it, maybe they don’t get it)
This is fine. We love both love psytrance, but neither one of us would be able to stand the others party.

Before I go to any psytrance party... better yet...
The only psytrance parties i go to are the harder, heavier ("dark") parties.
I’m sure there will be a whole bunch of “dark” dj's and artist, but I need to know WHO before I commit.
esp. if its a strickly north american dj/artist party, whats the surprise?

i mean, its like being a heavy metal fan, and being enticed to go to a north american rock concert, you buy the ticket, airplane ticket, transportation,etc, etc to then get there and all the freakin acts are emo, soft-rock, grung, punk, this and that, with only one or two heavy metal bands. I would be royally disappointed.

These are my two cents. The hype is already there, post the line up!
ohmy
Fractal Cowboys

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 11, 2007 23:40
it will be posted soon...... the line up that is....

unfortunately, the reunion of guns and roses with its original members will not be playing at the chill out room...

sorry, if this causes any confusion....

mubali
Mubali

Started Topics :  71
Posted : May 12, 2007 15:12
Interesting points made here about the lineup... I'd like to cite a precedent in this that I find really relevant. The Voov experience has never posted a lineup for their events and it has been a prevolent festival for a long time. Boom doesn't post their lineup of who's all playing at least untill really late if at all... I don't even think that they put up timeslots.

Also on the same note, I'm not the biggest of progressive fans, this is one of the reasons why I've never made it to Gaian mind. I know that I've missed out on some really great parties due to my general distain for that style of music...

As to not hearing about or wanting to hear about North American artists, to each their own, but I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised if you actually come... If you're looking for some big international name fest, there's plenty of festivals in Europe that accomplish that fact...

This might be funny coming from an artist, but it would be nice not to have the focus on who's playing but the focus on what's being played. It would be great to be able to see the crowd response, but I'm not too down for the dj/artist worship thingy...

But whatever it takes for the person to make a connection I guess.
          An Eagle may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
bastardsamadhi

Started Topics :  9
Posted : May 12, 2007 19:40
Quote:

On 2007-05-11 23:03, MKultraProjects wrote:
The only psytrance parties i go to are the harder, heavier ("dark") parties.

very hip!
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - The A.U.M Festival, Full Moon July 2007, North America
← Prev Page
12 13 14 15 16 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance