Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Tegma, " Lo-Fi adventures", Tribal Vision 04/2008

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Tegma, " Lo-Fi adventures", Tribal Vision 04/2008

aden
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  81
Posted : Feb 18, 2008 14:32:12
Title : Lo-Fi Adventures
Artist : Tegma
Label: Tribal Vision Records
Cat. No.: TVRCD017
Release Date: February 2008
Format: CD + Digital soon

Tracklist:
1. In All Ears (130 bpm)
2. East Block (CCCP mix) (130 bpm)
3. Circles (130 bpm)
4. Computer Disorder (130 bpm)
5. Who Stole My Oscillator (131 bpm)
6. Monday Star (130 bpm)
7. What The Fuzz (130 bpm)
8. Twister (128 bpm)
9. Crank Up (128 bpm)
10. Lo-Fi Adventures (130 bpm)

Omar Chelly and Jason Orfanidis have been producing music under the Tegma moniker since the late 90s. With over fifty released tracks and rmx, three artist albums, and years of live performance worldwide under the belt, Tegma has established a strong reputation and they can be deservedly hailed as some of the best, well-versed producers of Scandinavian Progressive. It’s been almost two years since Tegma was signed at the Czech label Tribal Vision with their successful "Around the World in 80 Minutes", and now they come back to the fore with the release of their fourth album. "Lo-Fi Adventures" is meant to deliver their interpretation of modern club music, as seen from the duo’s psychedelic and progressive trance standpoint.

1. The introductory piece “In all ears” starts with a long intro which softly ushers in distant claps, percussions and electric twists until a gentle bassline bounces it all up. A smooth, muffled minor melody steps in, orchestrated with some of today’s minimal bleepy tones, soon conversing with another uplifting, softly oriental, melodic counterpoint. The break leaves the main theme to play solo and to run up the transposed scale in order to better unfold the soft groove of the last sequences. Cool intro that delivers nice melodic vibes.

2. “East block”, formerly published in the Vanguard compilation with the collab of Duca and Slater, is reintroduced in this album as a new edit titled CCCP mix. You will find the same pounding bass and panting rhythmic section combined with the lurking spooky sounds, yet it does not feature the banging synth (Ducas touch?) that made the 1st version exude more techy energy. It is slightly more electro-infused with the transposed lead and final motif, but also more melodic in the last sequence with distant delayed chorus effects. A softer, more complex and nice supplementary version of the V/A edit.

3. The aptly titled “Circles” returns to already well-charted trancey territories : it features a loop of oscilating synth that will mesmerize the trance heads, yet the chords that gate crash the 2nd half tend to be a bit overwhelming and the general arrangements sound IMHO a bit run-of-the-mill.

4. “Computer disorder” remains in the same trancey register : a bouncing dubby bassline inlaid with a cool arpegiatted lead. But the large trancey reverberated pads at the end are definitely tried and true recipes that will appeal to unexperienced ears, yet will sound déjà vu to veterans.

5. “Who stole my oscilator” once again dips into the same repertoire : atmospheric oscilating melodic pads overlay the compelling arpeggiated bass which blends the shuffled and clicky percussions that make it so forceful. The duo give here another demonstration of their undeniable ability but in this case, no originality.

6. “Monday star” has shades of old school techno with its transposed staccato lead offset by touches of atmospheric synths complemented by the airy reverberated harmonic waves brought by the break. It basically features cool melodic ideas and sweet harmonic texture combined with formulaic rhythmic recipes that, all in all, work OK.

7. “What the fuzz” is built on a combination of a distorted electro-tinged bass with trancey melodic pads that undergo transposed key changes throughout the track. You will hear the ease with which it’s written, but which lacks personal engagement, especially in the facile melodic treatment.

8. “Twister” spices up the album with its chunky distorted bass, elongated twisted glissandi motif punctuated by hi-hat and tom rolls, hick-ups and the odd quack that pops in from time to time. This is the most wacky piece of the album, and the most attention-grabbing so far.

9. “Crank up” steps more firmly into the realm of electro-house with its shifting distorted bass and conversing motifs of sharply contrasting tones and intervals. This is heavy funk, with “yeah” vocal snipets and a funny voice sample in the well-orchestrated break that spectacularly stages miniatures of amusing and strong impact effects (turntable, drums). It will suit the peak hours of the party and definitely has crowd pleasing potential.

10. The short concluding “Lo-Fi adventures” pays a more direct tribute to cool electro-house with distant pop reminiscences. Once again, this is well-crafted club music that would work even better with a more personal touch.

Bottom line:
Lo-Fi adventures definitely has good moments and provides well-produced, dancefloor-friendly material for a wide range of venues, with a melodic touch that does not venture too deep, nor offer the kind of offbeat references and tributes one finds in other contemporay Swedish masters’ production. It showcases a soft fusion of contemporary styles without straying too far from progressive trance territory. Those allergic to the recent developments of Progressive towards electro, techno/minimal or tech-house will be at ease with this new installment, while those who demand stimulation from constant innovations or in-depth experimentations will regret that, given the technical potential of the duo, this album is not more daring and adventurous, and basically lacks a sharper edge IMHO.
As usual, the editorial aspect is praiseworthy as TV has provided, on top of a nice coloured booklet, a useful DJ slip card with BPM and keys.

ADEN
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Feb 25, 2008 09:39
really nice... goes back a bit more to the roots of progressive, a less "clinical" feeling of Digital Structure early releases... this is much more value for money than Ticon's album...           --- Love In Light, Dance In Darkness ---

My CD's - www.discogs.com/collection?user=liquidcream
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Feb 26, 2008 01:09
Quote:

On 2008-02-25 09:39, The Journey Man Project wrote:
much more value for money than Ticon's album...

Silly comment           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Posted : Feb 26, 2008 02:14
Quote:

On 2008-02-26 01:09, Pavel wrote:
Quote:

much more value for money than Ticon's album...

Silly comment

I completely disagree. I have now had this cd for almost a week, the Ticon one came at the same time. Noe in this time I have listned to Ticon 3-4 times, and put it aside, and didn;t use it in either of the 3 dj sets I did on the weekdn playing progressive, as it didn't enter my mind to play it... on the other hand I have listned to the Tegma album almost daily for the last week, and tracks from it were played in my 3 dj sets (all at different clubs and bars).

In my opinion a cd that is so exciting and worthy of listening as to be played in every dj set and listned to dails is more value fro money than one that is listened to once or twice and put aside.

Reviews are personal opinions about albums, and so I made the comment in my review.

I think you're silly for taking the time to pick up that one thing as well           --- Love In Light, Dance In Darkness ---

full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Feb 26, 2008 05:46
Quote:

more value for money than Ticon's album...

I agree.
Ticon's surely has a couple of nice tunes (which I personally enjoy as real music, but at the same time think it's not what I'd like to play or spin at parties), however their album has also a bunch of disappointing tracks to me.

On the other side, this Tegma can do wonders on a proper sound system, and will get you if you give it a chance. Very different from their previous work (which is still my favorite from them) and worth checking for all proggy heads, maybe you won't like it, but you should check it.
Respect!
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Posted : Feb 26, 2008 12:19
w00t! we agree on something

oh and please change your pic, it makes me crave coffee           --- Love In Light, Dance In Darkness ---

PlutoDelic
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Feb 26, 2008 14:55
its Really OK when artists change the genre, but they should change the forum too

poor poor, loved the early stuff they did           PSYKS
xfalabella
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Feb 27, 2008 01:19
Tegma is one of my favorites projects since I listen progressive...and this has a couple of years

This one is so great...smashing progressive tunes,personally,i do prefer "Around the world in 80 min" but we can se clearly the evolution of Tegma in this tracks...specially the techno touchs that starts with "In All Ears".

The rmx of East Block its so much better than the original version of the Vanguard compilation imo...great one

some tracks like Circles,Monday Star and Who Stole My Oscillator works like an AK-47 hehehe this is HUGE!!!

Special highlight for the next Tegma hit.. "CRANK UP" ...i think it will be played for many djsets this summer in europe

One thing i have to say is that the most of the tracks in this CD are very similar...this confuses me a lot when im playing hehe never know which one i'll put.(to tell the truth im making a "track rotation" if i can call like this heheh)

I'm playing Lo-fi Adventures and 2am since january and i can say that are different cds but both causes an incredible effect in the crowd..imho Ticon new one its very fine too and totally playable...it all depends the djset line will you follow... mixing "Spitfire" with "In All Ears" for me stays perfect!

great job from Omar & Jason...congratulations guys..u deserve this
cant wait for your next releases

this one is 9/10

best regards to Tribal Vision and Slater also

chersss

V.FALABELLA
          www.myspace.com/vfalabellaprogressive
www.enigma.art.br
www.spintwist.de

AEROSPACE - STEREO FLIP IS OUT !
KHAINZ - MODUL8 is OUT!
Login
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  65
Posted : Feb 27, 2008 01:46
track 2,4 and 5 favs.

East block is old school prog really nice i love it.

no need to compare it to ticon, since 2 am is not a trance album more for clubs. And this one is very fine prog. hope to see more of this soon.

olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Feb 27, 2008 17:57
Quote:

On 2008-02-26 14:55, PlutoDelic wrote:
its Really OK when artists change the genre, but they should change the forum too

briliant...
amphiton

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Feb 27, 2008 19:03
Quote:

On 2008-02-27 17:57, olivier wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-02-26 14:55, PlutoDelic wrote:

briliant...

What he means is: what Ticon and Tegma are trying to sell us, is like trying to sell fluoro clothes to techno or RnB fans.

In other words, if you want to sell this kind of music, why stick to psytrance community?

On the other hand, there are so many projects that produce so much better music in the techno/minimal/electro and house field, thata nobody needs Ticon and Tegma there.

In conclusion, there isn't any progressive psychedelic trance anymore.           [ cuBe ] :: cubeg.org •
Login
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  65
Posted : Feb 27, 2008 20:33
i think people here is too radical. C'mon its not supossed this culture stands for openess and friendship?

Cmon people all electronic music is part of a single movement each one with his own sound and icons.

Raves started with techno so?

Look at boom festival they now have 4 stages with different kind of music.

PLUR
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Feb 27, 2008 21:27
Quote:

On 2008-02-27 19:03, amphiton wrote:

What he means is: what Ticon and Tegma are trying to sell us, is like trying to sell fluoro clothes to techno or RnB fans.

In other words, if you want to sell this kind of music, why stick to psytrance community?

On the other hand, there are so many projects that produce so much better music in the techno/minimal/electro and house field, thata nobody needs Ticon and Tegma there.

well thats sorta the point. They are NOT trying to stick to one genre and crossing over to others. I believe both Ticon and Tegma have their roots in the progressive psychedelic music. They choose to modify style and appeal to a more wider audience. Of course they have old fans who like older music they produce, so they will try to share their music to that audience too. Maybe 9 hates it but 1 likes it ya know?

I'm not sure I agree with the so much better music in the techy/electro scene comment either. Although I dont really enjoy current Tegma or Ticon's music as much as their older stuff, they are still good at what they do and create nice sounds. My two liras.
          `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Feb 28, 2008 06:10
Quote:

On 2008-02-27 19:03, amphiton wrote:
In conclusion, there isn't any progressive psychedelic trance anymore.

Your "Line of Rationality" was interesting, but after this poor conclusion your post lost like half of its value IMHO.

There is good progressive, I don't even need to give names... If you're disappointed because of the way Tegma and Ticon took (along with many others), just check other releases, because you're searching in the wrong place, it's been a while since Tribal Vision's releases are not focused on progressive...

Search and you'll find.
Respect!           .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
amphiton

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Feb 28, 2008 10:01
Yeah... there still is, like half of whats used to be. Get back here in a year and we'll see if you'll still be able to say same thing about progg           [ cuBe ] :: cubeg.org •
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Tegma, " Lo-Fi adventures", Tribal Vision 04/2008

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance