Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Talamasca and Friends - Made In Trance (Mind Control, 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Talamasca and Friends - Made In Trance (Mind Control, 2004)

Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Jul 3, 2004 12:40
Talamasca and Friends - Made In Trance

Mind Control, 2004

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/mcc/mcc1cd001.html

www.mindcontrolrecords.com - with samples

1. The Awakening (feat. Nomad)
2. Unknown (feat. Life Extension)
3. Hypnotic Control
4. Action !!! (feat. Schyzotrop)
5. Kung-Fu Lesson (feat. DJ Ananda)
6. A Frenchman In Cape Town
7. Lestat Sound Development
8. Time Hunter
9. The Messenger (feat. DJ Neshama and DJ Gui)

France has done it again!

There we have it - Talamasca comes back with his (umm... one, two, three...) fourth full-lenght album. "Made In Trance" is also the very first CD from the newborn label of Talamasca and Nomad. I've bought it from trance-shop.com on Fullmoon Festival, where I had a real shopping spree as far as CD's are concerned. I must admin that I've bought Talamasca's alb' without knowing what I will find on the disc... Well, I had a pre-listen when Mind Control's site was opened, but till that magical moment of buying came into life I completely forgot about the samples. Anyhow, I gave it a try, cause Lestat's music is one of the best in the scene, though I was veery very very disappointed with his "Zodiac" album, which had a potential but didn't come up to my expectations. Nevertheless everyone can have a slip-up and what is more, this is Talamasca. What can I say more...

Some details about the album...

The mastering of this CD was done by Avi "Space Cat" Algranati, who seems to master many CD's lately (I write it 'cause lately I've seen Avi in CD credits on some other CD's my friends bought). Here a question to Mnid Controllers: on the inside of the cover I can see "mystering" and not "mastering" - is this a some sort of misprint or is it a deliberate mixture of two words (mystery and mastering)?Maybe it's something like with "Made In Trance", which also conveys the meaning of "Made In France". The cover was done by someone called SUB88, there is also an address given (www.sub88.com) but I haven't seen the site yet. Frankly on one hand i'm pleased with this cover and on the other hand I'm disappointed with it. The 'liking' of it has to do with the fact that I like some things to be plain and simple and such is the cover of this CD - straight to the point, and, moreover, quite catchy (the logo of Mind Control). Still I think that Talamasca's music deserves something better, I woul exchange the picture on the front cover with the picture which is inside the cover. But as they say, lets not judge the book by it's cover. The album itself is dedicated to Talamasca's wife Alexandra and his son Ariel. I wish somebody dedicated such a good album to me...

The music...

Damn, this will be the hard part... Up till now I gave at least five listens to this CD and frankly every time I hear it the music grows on me more and more. As You have already noticed the album is called "Talamasca and Friends". Here mr Cedric worked with such names as DJ Mael (better known as Nomad), DJ Olive and DJ Stenman (both from Life Extension), Jeremie Kominek a.k.a. Schyzotrop (who has also done brilliant guitars on track 4 in which he participated), DJ Ananda a.k.a. Audio Brain and, last but not least, DJ Neshama and DJ Guy. Dunno why but I was afraid that this mixture wouldn't be very good for the album itself (too many cooks spoil the broth). moreover when I saw Nomad featuring on the first track I had a flashback of his second album, which, for me, was a total disaster. After one listening of "Talamasca and Friend" all of my previous prrejudices were gone. This is Lestat at his best. I won't go into details about the particular / individual track, because I leave it to the professionals (Deathposture, PKS, Profane, Traveller, Shahar and few othe guys which are just a pleasure to read). The only track I'm not happy about is "Time Hunter" which is a mixture of two great tracks by Talamasca, meaning "Time Simulation" and "The Hunter Becomes The Hunted". Sure, it's good, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be judging by its namesakes. As far as other minuses of this album are concerned there are sometimes some annoying cheesy melodic samples which can ruin a pretty good moment in a track (cannot give the exact moments, becuase right now I'm focused on the guitars by Schyzotrop). Fortunately they don't last long. Mr Dassulle also seems to have served here something, that cannot be presented in the light of today's full-on sound. The music on this album is much more melodic - that's right! one has to admit many full-on tracks / projects only pretend to be melodic. Well, this album doesn't. It is a one way ticket back to the dreamland (I advise You to listen to it while driving a car... damn... ;-)). What else? Ummmm... maybe someone else?

Sorry for this 'not-so-perfect-quite-crappy-review' but my face is burned by the Fullmoon Fest' sun, it burns like hell and it is a hard thing for me to focus on writing. Still, my ears remained untouched and right now they share with the rest of my body some blissful moments while hearing the first track done with Nomad.

No grade here, this is a subjective thingy.
Buy it - grade it by yourself.

ps. Lestat - You became one of the best acts of FM for Polish people. (to those who weren't on FM - Talamasca was a replacement for the missing Eskimo). The way You played made us smile for a longlonglong time and forget about the crap (to those that think it is offensive: the stuff You avoid on pavements) served by Alien Project in the first day of this festival. Thank You!
          www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
HuMSLe

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jul 4, 2004 01:05
I did the same thing as you. Trance Shop, fullmoon festival, Shopping spree, and this record totaly owns me! Cheers
Vyenn

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jul 4, 2004 01:40
Lestat strikes back with these psychedelic melodies that only him knows how to do !

I loved the melody in time hunter at 2:10, and hypnotic control and lestat sound development are amazing tunes specially in the end!!

Gonna buy this album 4sure, KILLER!

orianer

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jul 4, 2004 21:59
P-A-R-T-Y time
one of my favorite artist
and he did it again
track no.4 - gitar - huauauau
i know all album is good
i did not like that much track no.6 - a frenchman in cape town
exept that - one of the best expirence of psy!!!! - HAVE FUN (-;           PsYcHeDeLiC music!!!! -==-=--==
HaVe FuN - PeAcE!!

Mobile 0542388566
talamasca
Talamasca

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Jul 8, 2004 04:31
i didn t expect to read reviews that fast , but it is a very good beginning....hehehe....so thanks for your support....
for those who want to listen samples , check the website:
www.mindcontrolrecords.com
i 'll come back to read!!!speak soon!
keebota
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  44
Posted : Jul 8, 2004 08:11
hey guys

its a cool album from talamasca ....very different and swrious arrangement ...special stuff for the dancefloor ...i think i like most every track ...and i hope i hear the tracks on many party around the world

great stuff !!!

nice great tom
colon

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jul 10, 2004 04:26
let me start by saying i can't think of any other artist these days who is able to create such a swirling array of uplifting melodies like talamasca does - "king of melodies" is a title he deserves

i think track #1 the awakening looks like an absolute dancefloor bomb, lots of power combined with uplifting melodies swirling throughout the track
#4 action also looks like a bomb, and although the guitar in it strongly reminds you of aries it's not a lame clone and that ethnic vocal sample sends shivers down your spine
most of the other tracks are also pretty good, containing *stunning* melodies (the melodies in #5 kung-fu just make me go nuts for instance)
however, the build up tends to be too slow and and too "dry" to my taste (yet the melodies make it well worth the wait)
#8 time hunter is fun to hear, but it's best not to take this track too seriously, otherwise it sounds lame

one more point of criticism is that the album sounds a bit "tired" at times, some sounds are very familiar from previous releases

conclusion: i somehow feel it could have been better and more innovative, but i think it's a great album never the less
talamasca has kept his own, special style and he proves he's one of the best artists around
Silent Scream
Silent Scream

Started Topics :  55
Posted : Jul 10, 2004 23:14
I heard it on a store...and was totally dissapointed...i expected something more uniqe and special..cause we heard that style so many times from cedric.
its not a bad album...but i wanted more from talamasca!!           www.myspace.com/silentscreamuzic]
www.myspace.com/tacticrec[/b]
tikal
Tikal

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 11, 2004 10:31
u heard it on a store??? i dont think that it s a good place for hear this album...
me i heard it with my brother in our studio and we can say for sure that this album is the best released from talamasca.
realy good sound with good vibe and very good production...thank you cedric for this album
u made a great work....
and maybe see you in tel aviv if you come there this month...
fait attention a toi ;-)
vincent
Silent Scream
Silent Scream

Started Topics :  55
Posted : Jul 12, 2004 04:21
I know he has a good production
but i was talking on the music..           www.myspace.com/silentscreamuzic]
www.myspace.com/tacticrec[/b]
Rain
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Jul 14, 2004 18:03
Very good album...

melodic until the end... the beginning of the release is the best for me...

is the end more boring because they reply too much or easily the first tracks are just the best I don't know...

still like it a lot... thanx for that powerfull feeling
AbsolutZero(D.V.M.)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  199
Posted : Jul 14, 2004 18:05
great album i have to say
very good work from Lestat(and his friends )           [b]osobuko/b]
http://www.landmark-recordings.com/absolut_zero.html
http://www.myspace.com/absolutzero_or
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dj-AbsolutZero/147091981997578
clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Jul 16, 2004 02:08
i haven't heard the album, but im hearing only bad things so far..

people are telling me that the album lacks creativity... reusing the same old structure and presets, with similar sounds to his previous releases..

i perso, never really admired talamasca's music.. well, not since Sinai's days.... so i don't think im gonna grab this one too fast..           "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Sep 1, 2004 19:26
I just cannot believe that this album received so little feedback...

ps.

Quote:

On 2004-07-16 02:08, clown wrote:
i haven't heard the album, but im hearing only bad things so far..

people are telling me that the album lacks creativity...

... now, are these words of a mega-conformist or what?           www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
RebeL9
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Sep 5, 2004 07:38
i really love the Timehunter tune. Wicked!
Should be released on 12" imo
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Talamasca and Friends - Made In Trance (Mind Control, 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance