First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Sidechain

Rework
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  27
Posted : May 15, 2014 14:46:03
Sometimes I like to sidechain, and im pretty sure whats going on when I sidechain, but im no pro, so I just listen and stop messing with it when I feel it sounds good.

But when do you use sidechain, whats is the main purpose with sidechain? can some one explain what I should think about before I sidechain, and when I sidechain and so on.

Short version: I seek clever and useful words about sidechain

(Im using fruity loops, and mostly makes psytrance at 145bpm)
          https://soundcloud.com/peter-fh
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : May 15, 2014 15:38
most often, if you mean sidechain compression it's about ducking a sound (lowering its volume) when another one plays. so in a way, you're establishing a connection, you're clearing space (headroom) so the two don't clash, don't make the volume suddenly rise, so that everything is more controlled.

but compressors are, sort of, automatic volume tolls. but as everything in music, time is also a huge factor.

so if you duck everything in the mix using your Kick as input, depending on the release you set, you'll have it all pumping with the Kick - this can be cool sometimes. if you set, for example, some hi hat to duck the closed hats, you can make it sound like older drum machines that would do this by default... if you set some auxiliary reverb bus channel you can duck the reverb with the original instead of using pre delay time, so as to clear the transients away from the reverb - makes it much more clear btw, not always best solution though.

thing is, it's got many uses but it's all within this context. hope it helps. cheers

supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : May 15, 2014 21:07
Main purpose is to make sure the bass doesnt clash with your kick.           soundcloud.com/supergroover
Upollo

Started Topics :  1
Posted : May 15, 2014 22:52
It's compression that is triggered by another channel (of your choice). In some compressors you can choose the frequency range within which the triggering channel actually triggers the compression.

Bass sidechaining by the kick channel is most used, but sidechaining's an awesome feature that's got a lot more possibilities, which I've only just begun to explore.

Enjoy
freez

Posted : May 15, 2014 23:25
What about sidechain eq?

Can somebody suggest some plugins?
I use cubase 7.
wirakocha
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  112
Posted : May 16, 2014 05:19
here multiband sc

SC for kick+bass,pads,open hats,vocals,drones,etc.

d(((+_-)))b
"Washuma" means Mescaline
FB: https://www.facebook.com/washumamusic
SCloud: https://soundcloud.com/washumamusic
Upollo

Posted : May 16, 2014 10:13
Sidechain EQ works in the same way compression does, so the equalization's only active when the triggering signal is.

Don't know about plugins - I use the ones that come with Ableton.
PRO-Gram
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : May 16, 2014 13:16
u can use cubase compressor for sidechaining, activate sidechain button on thje compressor and then send your trigger track i.e kick to the compressor sidechain           https://soundcloud.com/pro-gram-0
Xsze

Started Topics :  5
Posted : May 16, 2014 18:33
Quote:

On 2014-05-15 23:25, freez wrote:
What about sidechain eq?

Can somebody suggest some plugins?
I use cubase 7.

freez

Posted : May 16, 2014 19:04

Thanks brah.

Sucks that cubase doesnt have a capable equalizer.
I'll try fabfilter.

Hypereal

Started Topics :  5
Posted : May 16, 2014 21:05
Fck that generic sidechain pumpy sound instead use eq for separation and volume/cutoff assigned to velocity in bass synth
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : May 17, 2014 13:21
Quote:

On 2014-05-16 21:05, Hypereal wrote:
Fck that generic sidechain pumpy sound instead use eq for separation and volume/cutoff assigned to velocity in bass synth

smoke one and chill out dude...
Soundmagus
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : May 19, 2014 14:48
During Sex           Check out my site for Video tutorials and other tips & Tricks

http://www.music-production-videos.com
knocz

Started Topics :  40
Posted : May 19, 2014 21:47
I'd like to abstract the word you're seeking "side chain", an leave out everything about compression and EQ and what-so-ever.. because one doesn't necessarily mean the other

Of course, with most types of EDM we have a big kick and a big bass, and we want the beat to sound big but we don't want the kick and bass to clash.. so you can side-chain an effect to react on the bass, based on the kick, to take one out (usually the kick cut's off the bass, as the bass plays a lot more and we want the kick to sound solid and coherent on the 4-to-the-floor)

But, side chaining isn't just that - it's to have an effect do it's magic on a signal, while responding to another one.

So, mostly this feature is available on effects that respond in some manner to the input signal - say a compressor, which starts lowering the gain or waveform of the input after it goes beyond a predetermined point (the threshold); this will make all peaks be reduced. If for instance you are using a filter, then the filter will open / close (depending on the amount value) based on the input. And so on... if you side chain it, then the effect unit will do it's magic on the output signal, based on the gain or waveform of the side chained signal. So, we have an effect on one signal, reacting to an external input that is being fed into the effect through side chain.

Imagine: have one sound react to another! If, for instance, you put the filter on top of a track with white noise; and you use a drum sample in another track to feed into the filter, side chained. Tweaking the filters envelope settings and resonance, you can easily get a "DJ-scratch" effect - as for every hit on the drum kit will move the filter frequency, letting different frequencies of the white noise come out.
Considering there are ton's of leads based on cleaver positioning of filter automations, this can tame that task and make it fun!

Also, say you create two different leads that can replace each other - occupying the same frequency range and having as similar spectrum - you could use a third channel to side chain them both but with inverted amounts, so on lead A the side chain would bring the lead in, and on Lead B the side chain would cut it out. Just by feeding a signal into that third tune can generate really interesting results - for instance with a drum loop, with every drum hit lead A would play and B will be quiet, and during the silence between each drum hit Lead B would play and A would be quiet..

There are infinite possibilities, especially because you're using FL Studio! I loved that DAW particularly because of the possible mappings, and this is where you can take advantage of it - you can map your side chain to any parameter you want (or any parameter that you can automate): just apply a peak controller to the channel that is supposed to drive the effect, and in the track you want to be side chained, place the effect to your liking, and do a "link to controller" on the option you want - in the link list, there will be your peak controller to select. Basically any parameter, linked to the peak controller (which also dubs as a LFO, and it's been there at least from fruityloops 3..), can be modulated.

So, following that and keeping the example with the drums side chaining the effect, you could use it to manipulate the pitch of a synth, of the morph button Use it to select between waveforms and envelope settings, feed it into the FM oscillator volume..

And, while you're at it, apply a second peak controller in another track, and use the second one to side chain some parameter in the original peak controller - bringing in and out the LFO, changing the input, etc! The possibilities are really endless, side chaining the side chain parameters.

Just think: you can use the signal of any track you have, to manipulate with the parameter values of any automatable setting. Use it to your liking

Super Banana Sauce http://www.soundcloud.com/knocz
Rework
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  27
Posted : Jul 3, 2014 13:11
Thank you for all your advices and inputs. It helped me alot and gave me new thoughts about sidechain.

Right now i feel my way to sidechain in fl, sounds slappy, i think it is my settings, but when i have a sound with delay on, ans i sidechain i, i feel the delay comes out of sync, if i turn up really load, i can hear the delay bouncing around. I thought i could get better control with side chaining           https://soundcloud.com/peter-fh
Trance Forum » » Forum  Production & Music Making - Sidechain

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance