Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland (2009 - Twisted)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland (2009 - Twisted)

moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 7, 2009 15:57:54
1 Electroplasm
2 Shpongolese Spoken Here
3 Nothing Is Something Worth Doing
4 Ineffable Mysteries
5 I Am You
6 Invisible Man In A Fluorescent Suit
7 No Turn Un-Stoned
8 Walking Backwards Through The Cosmic Mirror

I admit I was surprised to see that Shpongle have released something new, considering that Nothing Is Lost was supposed to be their final album... The thought that this is just a collection of B-side material that wasn't good enough to feature on their older albums crossed my mind, but luckily it seems that these are all new creations. This album marks a bit of a return to their original roots (almost a decade since their first album), considering that there are much more arabic/ oriental influences and less hispanic ones. So I guess that depending on just when you became a Shpongle fan, you will find this a good or a bad thing (personally I prefer this ). I'm also a bit surprised that they completely abandoned the Terence McKenna samples which were kindof their trademark (or maybe they just got pissed off from being copied by Entheogenic?).
And it all just sounds a lot more "straightforward" compared to their older stuff, more World-music like and less psychedellic, although I must admit that the randomness of Are You Shpongled? got on my nerves sometimes so being straightforward isn't necessarily bad.

Other than that, all the "traditional" Shpongle elements are there: blending electronic music with World music samples, heavily distroted voices, trippy samples and just about every sound ran through LFO-controlled filters, giving that bouncy-waterdrop feel that has become carachteristic of their sound. BUT there are also some new additions like a (relative) abundance of 303 sounds and also some oldschool Hallucinogen trademark arpeggios (some parts will make you feel like listeing to Twisted all over again).

I love Electroplasm, it really brings out the best in both worlds (World music and electronic music). I mean, there are not many artists out there that can blend classical violins, sitars, 303s and whale samples and make it all sound GOOD!! This is a true masterpiece IMO.

Then comes Shpongolese Spoken Here which is a bit of a letdown compared with the starting track. Only the second half picks up quite nicely with a dub rythm and a nice guitar melody on top, as well as one of those oldschool Hallucinogen arpeggios I've been talking about. It sounds good but it could've been better IMO.

Nothing is Something Worth Doing is one of the weakest tracks here, it all sounds empty and new-ageish, like the kind of music you'd hear in the background in a massage parlor. By this time I started wondering whether Shpongle didn't lose it this time...

But luckily Ineffable Mysteries kicks in next with a lot more energy. The arabic samples might be too much to handle at first but the more you listen to the track, the more it all starts making sense. And it really pays to wait for the track to unfold, the best part IMO is around 7:30 : you have a 303 playing some rapid 32nd notes, only after a while do you realize that they're following the main arabic chorus sample, and then again a trademark Hallucinogen arpeggio kicks in. It all works miracles! Again, not many artists manage to blend in such diverse elements and make it all sound good.

Then comes I Am You, or as I like to call it, "the Shpongle lovesong". It was love at first sight with this one, the voice melody is just divine and actually made me want for it to last longer (I usually tend to find voical melodies a bit cheesy). I can just imagine thousands of couples in chill-outs all over the World holding eachother closer when this melody plays. Again, you'd find the idea of Shpongle doing a lovesong quite odd, but believe me, it all works out VERY nicely if you hang on to it.

Then comes a slower track Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit which, just like Nothing is Something Worth Doing hits me as a bit weak and new-ageish... so I usually press next here...

No Turn Un-Stoned is up next, which is the only full-vocal track here. It starts pretty promising but then it REALLY goes downhill starting from 3:00, with a melody that sounds a bit like bar-music bleh... too bad cause the beginning was really sweet.

Walking Backwards Through The Cosmic Mirror is pretty nice on the other hand! The background rythm and melody sounds a LOT like some oldschool trance music (I mean REALLY oldschool - think the early 90s), on top of which Shpongle do their "thing" with wierd voice effects and LFO-filtered sounds. At times it all might sound a little hectic but all in all I like this one as well

THE GOOD: I love the use of (very) oldschool elements like the 303s, the Hallucinogen-trademark arpeggios, etc

THE BAD: a bit too "straightforward" at times. OK, Shpongle always was like 50% World Music - 50% psychill, but at times this album sounds like 99% World Music - 1% psychill...

CONCLUSION:
Surprisingly good actually! I don't like all the tracks (but I never liked all the tracks on a single one of their albums, so that's normal). I'm happy I've got this and it will definately get a LOT of spins in my CD-played for months to come! 4,5/5
favortie tracks: 1(!!), 4, 5(!!), 8.           “I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it.”

Charles M. Schulz
enichkin
eniChkin Project

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Dec 7, 2009 22:10
In my point of view track#5 I Am You is the most sweet piece on above mentioned CD. voices sing so sexy and deep for my ears.. wow! In general CD is just Original Shpongle stuff, no surprises, but CD is worth listening in anyway.

(L)ayered
(I)ntelligence
(F)orming
(E)nergy
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Dec 8, 2009 00:56
The best Shpongle Album since the 2nd. Although it not has a long and deep concept as the last 3, and its sounds more like younger Brother than Shpongle in some parts, still this is masterpiece and highly addictive.
          -=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
insane
Silent Horror

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Dec 8, 2009 09:23
pls dont say trac#3 sounds so bad!
its a wonderful tune..

------------------------------
NEMESIS - DEVILSMIND RECORDS - 2007
PATTERNS EP - DEVILSMIND RECORDS _ 2009
SEANCE - DEVILSMIND RECORDS - 2011
PATTERNS II EP - DEVILSMIND RECORDS _ 2013
Sputer
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  315
Posted : Dec 8, 2009 14:05
actally trax 3&6 that u find weak are really beautiful to me..

very good album.. I just dont catch the last track.. totaly different no colors no melodys no shpongle there...
          ..."Be yourself, let your conscience guide you...
Follow your heart, not the people around you"
sure_smoke_alot
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Dec 8, 2009 14:50
Quote:

On 2009-12-08 14:05, Sputer wrote:
actally trax 3&6 that u find weak are really beautiful to me..

i second that!           the problem with valuing art is, till u dont understand it, it's worthless but wen u do understand it, it's priceless!!
Frizz

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Dec 8, 2009 16:28
Nothing Is Something Worth Doing and Invisible Man In A Fluorescent Suit are by far the best tracks on this album, well if you forget the stupid stoner sample at end of Invisible Man.
Login
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  65
Posted : Dec 10, 2009 08:27
I just heard Shpongle dj set and new tracks are wonderfull in big systems, I am you, Ineffable, Shponglese and invisible man are my favs.

what I love about I am you is that is so sweet and it end with that hendrix-like guitar distortion, it blows your head           "The dedication to repetition — the search for nirvana in a single held tone or an endlessly cycling rhythm — is one of electronic music's noblest gestures."
dtmoney
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Dec 11, 2009 13:15
It's a great album. Favs include Nothing is Something Worth Doing, I am you, Shpongolese Spoken Here, and Walking Backwards Through The Cosmic Mirror.

I cannot stand No Turn Un-Stoned. I think the vocals are pretty cheesy in that track. I think it's up there with duvdev vocals from infected mushroom's latest offerings.

But I do prefer Nothing Last but Nothing is Lost to this album.
Portis

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Dec 12, 2009 06:47
Quote:

On 2009-12-11 13:15, dtmoney wrote:

I cannot stand No Turn Un-Stoned. I think the vocals are pretty cheesy in that track. I think it's up there with duvdev vocals from infected mushroom's latest offerings.

I absolutely love this track, my fav of the album floating vocals mixed with Raja`s flute mmmmmm
Sputer
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  315
Posted : Dec 12, 2009 13:36
Unstoned - amazing tune.           ..."Be yourself, let your conscience guide you...
Follow your heart, not the people around you"
ayalien
Ayalien

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Dec 12, 2009 19:09
Well, "Shpongolese Spoken Here" is a really great track, a pure shpongle beat...No deceptions for me. Track 3 is also very nice! Cool to hear hang sounds in psychill.
As usual, vocals are absolutly horribly cheesy, i'll not be a part of the couples who will hold eachother on those kind of tracks ...Totally useless for my taste.

Anyway, the first & second albums are still the most interesting i think. But Simon is a magican, also when i don't like a track, i never press next, there's something so strong in his music who make me always listen the entire story...I have a lot of respect for him, he's the only one who can catch me like that also when i don't agree with the artistic choices.           http://ayalien.deviantart.com/
http://www.2to6records.com/
dtmoney
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Dec 14, 2009 11:27
Quote:

On 2009-12-12 06:47, Portis wrote:
Quote:

I absolutely love this track, my fav of the album floating vocals mixed with Raja`s flute mmmmmm

Well I decided to give the track a few more listens, and I must say its really grown on me. Overall, it's actually a really good track. The beginning of it is pure Simon, and everything is extremely psychedelic, to the point that it's the reason why this guy is considered one of the forefathers of the psy genre. Michelle's lyrics aren't too bad.

I guess you really can't judge a track too quick after just a few listens.
willsanquil
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Dec 17, 2009 21:14
Quote:

complete blasphemy.

This album is complete 100% psychadelic magic the whole way through. Every.Single.Track.

I have listened to the whole album at least 60+ times without skipping and cherry picking and just like every other shpongle release you pick up something new each time you listen to it.

Of course musical taste is subjective but I don't see how anyone can possibly compare the artistry and depth of emotion and meaning that are Shpongled lyrics to the (self-admitted) meaningless dreck that Infected spits out these days.

No Turn Unstoned is a magical journey...now that I know what the lyrics actually are it brings me to tears when I sing along to it in my head.

edit: just realized your post was made after only one listen - nevermind my comments! I personally refused to even talk about the album with my girlfriend let alone the interwebs without listening to it at least 5+ times through...there's just so much depth...
gittak

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Dec 19, 2009 19:41
Quote:

But luckily Ineffable Mysteries kicks in next with a lot more energy. The arabic samples might be too much to handle at first but the more you listen to the track, the more it all starts making sense.

bro those voice samples r indian clasical music n not arabic as far as i know.
track 2 and 6 r the sweetest trax.so edible this album ...i must say wow lets all get shpongled again
really hope this dont turn out to b the last of the best.1
boom to all who speak shponglese
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland (2009 - Twisted)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance