Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Rinkadink - 'Rabbit From Darkside' - Alchemy Records (ALCD009)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Rinkadink - 'Rabbit From Darkside' - Alchemy Records (ALCD009)

Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 00:37
Let me start this review by saying ive been in highly anticipating this album and been waiting for something along the lines of a full rinkadink experience for a while. Rinkadink is mainly the clinching force for me at buying South African style compilations... with that aside, here we go:

The cover, killer rabbit on the front with some spherical digital madness behind, nice and clean good colors, i never really get that extra cardboard you get around the jewel case.. what am i suppose to do with that?

1.Anyone Seen Bender - starts very corky, relentless to kick in at first, teasing and getting up slowly, introducing many sounds you will here on this album throughout... here it comes, the wicked baseline... vocals and anticipation for the kick that has been stripped of its punch.... more delay... very cleverly done might i say! Beat kicks in, 142 bpm coasting. i like this groove that's pretty much all around you at this point. now a bit darker atmosphere and then a funny break from bender the robot (futurama) i think its the episode with the fembot -god on the planet of the Amazon women... but i might be wrong anyway, really funny samples, arrangement in a pseudo conversation, kinda like sub6 does... but imagine a Rinkadink atmosphere. Excellent intro track!

2. Pacific Producers - relaxes for second in a warm crystal clear pacific ocean waters and then comes the beat. yep this is it, album officially started folks... baselines rolling thundering not too hard, percussion building, everything taking its time, electrically sounding devices being contorted to produce buzzing sounds...rinkadink snare builds and those pads in the breaks.... awww so nice. the manipulation of the track is really interesting here, spins you around abit unexpected breaks, and again that funkiness of the bass is making it hard to type here... the synths here sound cool as in temp and the tracks ends in that same water it came from.

3.Hope was Closed - this tracks reminds me of the build of Sheep Satellite, my all time favorite in the very beginning, but it soon changes to something newer and more refreshing... i guess vana just keeps pushing forward every second. Yeah, this track has got a mean streak to it, snarling a bit... if you had hopes of smiles of happy melody? Then hope is closed down its shop for you... this track is sinister, with one of the greatest sample loops i heard being used this way around 3:10 for about 25 seconds... and then heheheheheh, well wait i wont tell the sample is just so funny you have to buy the cd and find out for yourselves. Big break and boom track explosion heavy hi hats, industrial like, evil synthesizers sawing, biting, scratching and gnawing.... all arranged in perfect sense.

4.cabbage a la Tetradink - starts off with a bang, we are now in the middle of the journey, this album is not looking back at any point. Atmospheric sounds and menacing rolling thundering baselines make you wanna gallop and bop your head instinctively. Tweaked synths give away to a paranormal (not attack) feeling track... here they are! The synths from ultima, playing a different melody here, shooting their long opening tentacle arms at our ears, gotta love it. Nice offbeat like break and back to business. Total paranormal activity going on at the end of this track...

5.Synthax & Whiskey Remix - Well well well, this is 50% the reason i wanted this cd; just for this... i have big expectations... don't let me down eh? Ambience, those electrical sounds, that baseline is just so perfect... was 2 years ago and still is now! But now the breaks are more intelligent, the flow is totally renewed. The production sounds much more experienced. 144 bpm of a monster ladies and gentleman, a must in every dark night dj's case. Awesome remix, with twisted bass crunching techniques.... crunchiness galore! The ending is perfect to mix out of too; i bet you thought of that...

6. Chalie Cat V.4 - 100% Rinkadink insanity at 146 bpm storming from the very scratchy beginning. Cool computer sounds in the background, relentless baselines, breaking in just the right times to relieve you and taking you through journeys with a heavy snare job all through out. Great final break/build very powerful.

7. Tune from Childhood - This track is very different, changing a few times and having a very unique build. very funky, groovy - moving and then the cherry on top - the sample from the game Turrican II, i used to record music from c64 onto tapes for some reason when i was 8. It sounds like those games, maybe a bit later... sega or something... very cool though! Great idea. Sounds like a heroic mission saga type game, i will look it up.

8. Stampede - well the name says it doesn't it? Tracks winds up and starts to blast rinkadink style at a cruising 145bpm. Signature style baselines kick and hi hats... perfect for dancelfoor again. Lots of percussion going on. Very strong track, with a wonderful middle chunk that throws you back to the track like a hurricane. Synths that sizzle and snares that keep building, this tracks rocks!

9.Power Spooge - if you thought the last track is going to be chill out think again. Although is at 140bpm vana shows that numbers mean nothing. We are all made of spooge, i guess he is right.... my mind feels like spooge at this point, whatever spooge is. i feel the synth free flowing through me now; i think this track sounds so much different if you hear after the whole journey then if you play it alone.

tracks for dance floor - 3,4,5,6,7(if you're brave), 8.
favorite tracks - ALL

Overall score - 10/10 - this is a great album, fresh concepts, smart sounds, quality samples, innovative production and serious some thought was put into it.

i'm glad he took his time and didn't release something out too soon, it was worth the wait. Thank you for a wonderful afternoon of kicking my Korean neighbor's ceiling about 14000 times

recomended ages 3+

"On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
Osho
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  129
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 10:29
very nice review man
this new album from Rinkadink is very nice
smart move's and very groovey style
this is a very recomend album
          Progress In Music!
keebota
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  44
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 11:34
very great review man !!! nice words

the album is a brilliant work ...every track has got a perfect production and is very serious

...innovative sound, creativ sample and a crazy arrangement... just perfect for the floor... and also the cover is funny ..i really like it

one of the best albums this year !! respect to rinakdink

again thx. to surrender for this great review

nice greets tom
djsid
Aghori Tantrik

Started Topics :  85
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 11:53
bom bom!

wat a beautiful album!
absolutely amazin work by south african rinkadink!
the breaks r killer!
the sound is killer!
breh!!!

i wud give 10/10!!

one of the best albums of this still new year!           aGh0Ri TanTriK
Sonic Tantra Records
http://www.sonictantra.com
http://agh0ritantrik.weebly.com
http://www.soundclick.com/aghoritantrik
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 17:32
Surrender my man - what an awesome review, it was a pleasure to read! ;o) I've written one too...

-----
Rinkadink – Rabbit From Darkside

Cover: http://217.160.164.51/pic/alc1cd009_b.jpg

Format: CD
Artist: Rinkadink
Title: Rabbit From Darkside
Label: Alchemy Records, U.K.
Cat. #: ALCD 009
Date: February 23rd.
Year: 2004

Track listing:

01. 05’53” Anyone Seen Bender?
02. 07’09” Pacific Producers
03. 06’57” Hope Was Closed
04. 07’04” Cabbage Al La Tetradink
05. 07’25” Syntax & Whiskey (Rmx)
06. 07’14” Charlie Cat V.4
07. 07’09” Tune From Childhood
08. 07’15” Stampede
09. 05’57” Power Spooge

Review:
Behold the rabbit from darkside. That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

Prior to this debut album from South African producer Vana (Werner Van Jaarsveld), my knowledge of Rinkadink was limited… I’ve only heard a couple of tracks on the odd compilation here and there… So I didn’t really have any expectations when this arrived in my mailbox… So much greater was my joy when I put this on and found this to be really refreshing album…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: The first thought that enter your mind when this track opens, is darkness… Very wicked, dark, gloomy almost industrial sounds… But a bass line is introduced fast enough, and soon familiar Futurama-samples are sprinkled all over… Kick-ass bleeps and twirls @ 3’00 and then Bender ask “Why would God think in binary… Unless!?”…;o) This track is both atmospheric and stunning… My only gripe is that it’s a little too short… I want more! Amazing track!

#02: This album is mixed, so there’s no time to chill out between tracks. Luckily this baby starts slower, taking a dip in the Pacific… But we are soon greeted by a pounding bass line followed by your random full on mayhem… After a short bass pause, a thicker bass kicks in followed by the melody that was introduced in the beginning of the track. Filters play a big role in this track, and it’s cool to lean back and listen to how Werner twists those knobs… ;o) Nice track!

#03: We launch straight into a very cool intro here… Something is played in reverse, something is messed up, but it sounds great… It’s soon replaced by a typical 2004 full on sound… But luckily, it isn’t all boring and predictable… Rinkadink is playing with the listener, exposing us to all kinds of psychedelic mayhem; cut beats, accelerating bass lines and funny samples…“All over this bitch!”… From the pretty “standard” middle part, the rest of the track with its great innovation and freshness strikes a remarkable contrast… It is however an interesting contrast! Great track!

#04: Another great intro here, very atmospheric with clever use of animal-samples – kinda feels like you’re in the South African jungle for a moment there…Nice! More full on here, with excessive use of acid synths, with neat little feather-light twirly melodies… It’s hard not to enjoy those! I’m still guessing what the hell the title means!? Anyway, cool track!

#05: Right, so this is a remix of the track Whiplash - Syntax & Whiskey from the Nano Records compilation Emergence… Alchemy label boss, Shane Gobi helped twist the knobs on this baby… Well done gents! Unfortunately I have not heard the original, so I can’t tell you whether this is better or not. What I can tell you however is that this is one hell of a tune… Stomping, dark, aggressive full on wizardry for late, late nights on the dance floor… The acid peaks in this will drill deep into your brain… Holy fug, this is awesome! ;o)

#06: It’s hard to top such a great track, but Charlie Cat makes an honest attempt… This continues down the same path, though this isn’t nearly as insane as its predecessor… Powerful bass in a fast, dark night track… Snares play a big part in this track as well… Oh, and I really dig the heavily pitched up vocoded voice sample… Great track!

#07: Now we’re taking a different direction, this is much lighter, happier… I guess the sun has set, and it’s time to break out the melodies… And what was the tune from Vena’s childhood? It was the theme from an old Amiga game called Turrican II… It’s not the first time, we hear music from old school computer games in tracks, but still it’s kinda unusual… Sounds very original… Nice track!

#08: Silence…. Boom……....Boom……. Boom…. Boom, boom, boom, faster, faster, faster… Yeah, that’s just the way this track starts… Before we know it, it’s Rinkadink territory again… Sound madness, crazy ass samples pitched to a unrecognizable pulp of psychedelia… The odd happy synth melody here and there, always the strong kick from a familiar bass. Rinkadink found his formula, and it’s awesome! I’m not running anywhere! Cool track!

#09: This is the Rinkadink version of a chilled track at the end of an album… It’s slightly slower than the rest, but the heavy bass is still very much present here… Really cool synth-effects in this track… Unfortunately it’s the last one – what’s the rush Vana? You could’ve easily squeezed another gem in here! Anyway, this is a very worthy ending of a great, epic album… And remember, we’re all made of spooge! Great track!

The promotional text states that this is “A cacophony of pure mayhem and striking originality, this album is a quantum leap far beyond the norm” Well, I wouldn’t go as far as quantum leap, but this certainly is an interesting album… I have a few minor gripes against it though: First of all, a few of the tracks seems a bit short, the longest one running for only 7’25 minutes… Also, I’m not the biggest fan of mixed CDs… But as written, those are minor gripes that do not ruin the overall impression of a stellar album. Neo full on is neo full on, and I must confess that there are smaller elements of this album that sound like the endless stream of neo full on releases… But this is, however miles ahead of your usual GMS-clone… I cannot stress that enough! The cover-art is funny, yet classy. Fits the style perfectly!

This is a great album, and I would recommend it to everyone who likes modern, twisted full on psychedelia…

8.5/10

Favourites: 1 (!!), 3, 5 (!!!), 6, 9

DeathPosture

External links:
Alchemy Records: http://www.alchemyrecords.co.uk/
Chaos Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=alcd09 (soundclips available)
Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/alc/alc1cd009.html (soundclips available)
Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=3887 (soundclips available)
Trance-shop: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3425

On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
ChoBo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 7, 2004 08:47
Omg! DeathPosture and Surrender, awesome review again! Free beer to both of you Looks like i am gona get myself a copy soon ^.^
The Accelerator

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 00:06
wow.
Usually i'm not really into Full on, but as almost any previous Rinkadink track was a blast ("Ultima" will remain forever one of my favourties) it was kinda obvious that this album will kick ass. From start to finish this is pure psychedelic with great ideas and amazing production (which was made with softwere only!!!).
This album is so surprising and refreshing that i feel stupid just to keep on and writing about how good it is. just go and grab it.
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 01:27
Not much more to be said. Kicking full on with many ideas, dancefloor material and a lot of humour!

Great album.

9/10           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Shawnodese
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  141
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 04:52
Vannaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....u simply make me swap brainhalfs while headbanging myself to bits on this and wish for those good old time mosh-pits and stage-dive rituals....totally insane psychedica still groovin' me booty insanely....ur one of the best !!! Keep diggin' skulls out plzzzzzzz......           Mind Funk Records
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.myspace.com/shawnodese
www.myspace.com/mindfunkmusic
MonasticSquid
MonasticSquid

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Mar 11, 2004 20:49
Another REview for a wicked CD...
'Rabbit from Darkside', (the debut album from Renegade Producer'Rinkadink'), has finally tumbled out of the Rabbit Hole onto the shelves of all self respecting Trance music suppliers..!! ... 'Rabbit from Darkside' delivers a fresh and energetic blend of Psychedelic dancefloor stompers... unmistakably Rinkadinky.... yet somehow different... the tracks were all written in various countries... ultimatley influencing the finished product!...'Rabbit from Darkside' defies labeling.... other than 'contained madness'or 'bridled insanity'.Produced to the usual high Rinkadink standard..the jounrey is a bubbling cocktale of madness & laughter.

1. anyone seen bender.(140BPM) - Resonating with metalic 'pads & perc', hilarious samples.... screwed together with Vanna's sense of humour..RinkaFunK Basslines....animated FXs..this has gotta be My favourite opening track of any album.!!

2. pacific producers.(144BPM) - Written with Mike Modular-(& PP1 )- quite litterally 'giggles' with you as it bounces its way through some rather chilled pads and percussion....only the bass and open Hats control your stomping feet as your mind is taken on a carnival ride...

3. hope was closed.(142BPM) - Things suddenly seem to get serious, darker, down to business.. when suddenly... "you lay in the cuts great sitting on your ass and getting your drink on and snak on, while we floss and fly this Mo Fo,..all over this Bitch".... and the track goes off....night time, big stabs and pads, driving bass and percussion...its pure mechanised mayhem!!!!

4.cabbage al la tetradink(144BPM) - different progressions... but moving full throttle...the Bassline is quite relentless, but then seems to brighten...weird panned out fx.. delays everywhere... pure outdoor madness!

5.syntax & whiskey(rmx).(144BPM) - REvisited and REvamped.. this is one of my favourite tracks on the album. Full of attitude, brimming with madness... relentless rythmes..it nails you to the stomp..this track has not suffered at all by being remixed, infact, it could be a better take than the original(matter of opinion).

6. charlie cat v.4.(146BPM) - written with Green Reefah, charlie cat is a huge tune.... slightly haunting, while sinister bass riffs carry the swirling mid & top sections throughout the journey... confusion desends at the climax

7.tune from childhood.(145BPM) - This is my other favourtie track on the album.... musically it is the most interesting, and it makes all the right moves at the right time... still packed full of vanna's sense of fun.... nice percussive twists and melody attentive basslnes... It will undoubtedly be an outdoor summer hit!!

8. stampede.(145BPM) - things get tightened down.. and phat pads announce the stampede.... this is a stomper,,, 4 to the floor rudeness! a percussive use of delays and fx, crisp and tidy.. a retro'ish-acid bitch-lead - rockin!

9. power spoodge.(140BPM) - again with the illusive Mike Modular, an uplifting, bouncy end to the journey..verby pads...wiggling mid-riffs..tight ass percussion.. leaves you with a smile..'we are all,, made .. of spoodge'!?! to be sure
          ---------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/mtheoryuk
www.myspace.com/monasticsquid
www.alchemyrecords.co.uk
Maska
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Mar 11, 2004 22:11
this album is the sheeiiiit           assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
parapsyched
Scratch 22

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Mar 11, 2004 23:01
great one indeed....nothing else to say.           if u dig deep enough u just might reach the sky...

"dream is destiny"

http://www.scratch-22.com
Mark(Dalmat)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Mar 12, 2004 12:32
yes liked the style every track hv something special liked alot synthax whisky rmx and rinka u give us good inspiration for our music!thxx and keep up!
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Mar 16, 2004 03:09
Heard the album a lot in the weekend, and it just keep getting better. The remix of "Syntax & Whiskey" will probably be my favourite for some time, and also "Tune From Childhood", "Hope Was Closed" and "Pacific Producers" are excellent tracks for the dancefloor.

Great album, really fresh full on release in the jungle of Astrix and GMS-clones.

Still 9/10 from me.           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
akai

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Mar 20, 2004 01:49
surrender, i felt the same, great album, a nommitee (already) for the 2004 best album awards?

album 10/10 - Perfect, review 10/10 -

Don't just download this one, please go buy it, Rinkadink deserves it.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Rinkadink - 'Rabbit From Darkside' - Alchemy Records (ALCD009)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance