First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

reverb settings 101

Melange5738
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  13
Posted : Mar 21, 2014 18:34:48
I was thinking about a good template for reverb. Everybody knows they tend to mud up the mixes if not used properly, so the question is: what do you guys set as default on stuff like:

1. input filter lo/ high
2. input gain
3. diffusion
4. damping
5. envelope.

I know this is a broad question but I just want to narrow down the producing procedure to make the experimental phase more effective.
fraxi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Mar 21, 2014 18:52

It depends on sound and what I want to achieve...
          http://soundcloud.com/deepskypsy
Melange5738
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Mar 21, 2014 19:32
D'oh, yeah. But the "template" was meant to be a template. That is: overall template, a template for fitting in the mix BEFORE changing it to whatever sound it is supposed to be. It should fit in the mix with lots of sounds at the same time.
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Mar 21, 2014 23:13
many uses for reverb on a mix m8

one of the most common is to set an auxiliary channel with an eq + eq (not necessarily in this order), full wet, 'cause you'll use sends to determine how much of each channel you send to reverb; in other words: how much signal with reverb you mix in with the original - and this is valid for all the channels. this is good to create a sense of depth and ambience to an otherwise ultra dry mix.

doesn't stop here, of course, you can do all sorts of things to this, like placing a side chain compressor in this reverb channel, using another signal (usually kick) for ducking it, making it pump with the beat, so forth and so on...

my advice for you to get familiar with the settings you're asking about is to actually read the manual and take one sound for a ride, experimenting with different reverb settings and see what happens, try on a group of drums, on a kick (you can make the famous explosions this way), on voice/vocals to add a sense of natural space to it... there's also different kinds of reverb and reverb algorithms.

Midnight Sun
ProtoDrive

Started Topics :  91
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 03:20
Do your own template that fits to YOUR ideas..           ProtoDrive https://soundcloud.com/protodrive
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 06:42
some hosts have this kind of connections by default, like Ableton for instance.
Melange5738
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 10:01
You guys do not understand the question. I am not asking about HOW TO DO IT, I am asking WHAT YOU GUYS SET IT TO AS DEFAULT BEFORE YOU CHANGE IT.

For example: if I am going to make a full-on template, I am not going to set up a project with a 3/4 bar progression at 96 BPM, because then every time I was starting out I would have to change that.

The reason I ask is because I find it time consuming to make the reverb fit the mix every time I use reverbs. I wish to make that time period more effective by eliminating unnecessary changes to the reverb.
TimeTraveller
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 11:06
you really don't get it. Nobody sets any template if understands how it works since almost in any case you create/mix a new track the situation is different - so must be the setting of the parameteres.

If you care about quality and understand the parametres of given plug in you would take as much time as needed and certainly no any templates.
Templates are only for showing how a plug in can sound and are almost useless for one that understands what they mean.
          https://soundcloud.com/shivagarden
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 14:11
^this
splikz

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 16:42
usually the reverb presets are a good way to start. room, hall, etc. some mastering plugins also have mastering reverb presets as well.

I advise you to pick your own settings. and decide the kind of effect you want to give to your tracks and elements.

and remember that you don't need to use reverbs as sends. you can put them on a bus.
and route thing to that bus. and clean things afterwards.

using reverb as a send, means that you are mixing a dry signal with a wet signal. and usually people forget... and route the return channels directly to the master channel, without cleaning them or process them.
Melange5738
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 20:33
Quote:

On 2014-03-22 11:06, TimeTraveller wrote:
you really don't get it. Nobody sets any template if understands how it works since almost in any case you create/mix a new track the situation is different - so must be the setting of the parameteres.

If you care about quality and understand the parametres of given plug in you would take as much time as needed and certainly no any templates.
Templates are only for showing how a plug in can sound and are almost useless for one that understands what they mean.

So to continue the answer: can you tell me what you do in what order the first five seconds after you set a reverb up?

It is really not a hard question is it?
TimeTraveller
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 22:41

first 5 secounds I probably would look at fist at cutting all the low end - in the reverb channel(send) itself. It might be an eq I would open or see if the reverb has an filtering section than set a low cut at the desired frequency.
Sometimes at maybe around 400 Hz sometimes much higher.This could be what I'd do at first all other things depend on the track itself or on that what I have in mind, if a wide room or a short for percussive things or maybe just a few early reflections etc

https://soundcloud.com/shivagarden
Xsze

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Mar 22, 2014 23:04
Quote:

On 2014-03-22 20:33, Melange5738 wrote:
So to continue the answer: can you tell me what you do in what order the first five seconds after you set a reverb up?

It is really not a hard question is it?

First 5 seconds, Predelay and Reverb Time, of course amount/mix, but it's not marathon, but that are first stops

Everyone here understands what you are saying, but I guess you can't understand that people don't use presets/templates on their reverbs or they know how will settings you mention actually reflect on any given material and mix, depends from case to case, if you have some settings that turn out to be golden in some situations than by all means, go for it, it's your workflow, reverb unit and all that funk, many people tweak everything based on mix and material, response you got is clearly showing that
Colin OOOD

Started Topics :  95
Posted : Mar 23, 2014 01:28
First 5 seconds:
What sort of reverb do I want on this sound - hall, plate, room, ambience? - Select preset with appropriate-sounding name.
"Does it sound right?"
If yes, profit! If no:
"What's wrong with it?"
Adjust accordingly.

Mastering - http://mastering.OOOD.net :: www.is.gd/mastering
OOOD 5th album 'You Think You Are' - www.is.gd/tobuyoood :: www.OOOD.net
www.facebook.com/OOOD.music :: www.soundcloud.com/oood
Contact for bookings/mastering - colin@oood.net
splikz

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Mar 23, 2014 18:53
using reverb PRESETS is not a problem! most reverb units have factory presets for drums, vocals, etc that sound good. but they may need some adjustments according to each mix.

but producers can always be creative. and use reverbs in a non conventional way.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Production & Music Making - reverb settings 101

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance